LSC v Accrington Stanley

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
On a very cold but bright afternoon in Manchester, a young United reserve team faced Accrington Stanley in the Lancashire Senior Cup.

Richie DeLaet made his competitive debut for the Reds who also had Febian Brandy back in the team after his loan spell with Swansea.

There was a small crowd in attendance at the Cliff, harking back to the 'old days' when games were regularly played at this ground on mid-week afternoons.

United started the match with most of the play and took an early lead when Macheda was nicely put through on the edge of the box and calmly slotted the ball home past the advancing keeper. United continued to press and Brandy got United's second goal when he met a cross from the right and hit it low under the keeper's body. To be fair, the keeper should have stopped it but perhaps Brandy hit it early which fooled him. The Red's continued to press and Fabio had a good run down the left, playing a couple of neat 1:2's before breaking into the box and shooting for goal, but the keeper made a fine save.

Half time: Manchester United 2 Accrington Stanley 0

The Reds made two changes at half time, Joe Dudgeon coming on for Fabio and Jimmy Derbyshire replacing Richard Eckersley. Both Ecks and Fabio were returning from injury so it was perhaps no surprise that they only lasted half a game. Then on 51 minutes, United got a free-kick just outside the box. Up stepped Petrucci who curled a peach of a shot past the keeper to make it 3-0 and effectively end the contest. A few minutes later Brandy was hurt in a bad tackle and was replaced. Febian looked a little unfit, no surprise really when you consider he has hardly played any football all season.

For the remainder of the game United were in total control and had numerous chances to add to the scoreline, but the efforts were either well saved by the keeper, blocked by the defence or just over the bar.

For United Macheda and Petrucci were excellent as was Drinkwater in midfield. De Laet was strong but to be fair not really tested. Once again Matty James controlled everything around him and was easily 'Man Of The Match'.

Full time: Manchester United 3 Accrington Stanley 0

Team:

1. Amos
2. Eckersley
3. F. Da Silva
4. C. Evans (capt)
5. De Laet
6. James
7. Brandy
8. Drinkwater
9. Macheda
10. Petrucci
11. Bryan

12. Derbyshire (2) - '46
13. Woods
14. Dudgeon (3) - '46
15. Norwood (7) - '56

Scorers: Macheda '7, Brandy '21, Petrucci '52

United now play Rochdale away in the next round.

jb8521

Nice to see the 3 academy lads James, Petrucci and Macheda doing well and Fabio getting some game time as well as the returns of Eckersley and Brandy

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Thanks very much, Tony. Can't believe they actually played a game of football.

jb8521

Just saw the goals on mutv great strike from Petrucci

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I'm more excited about James for the moment than Petrucci. I just love box-to-box midfielders, they are complete midfielders for me and someone like James has the lot. I just hope his versatility doesn't hold him back like it did to some extent with O'Shea and that he continues to play in the middle of the park.

PS18

Hope MUTV show the goals again, doesn't seem to be anything scheduled though from what I can see.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Thanks for the report.

I'm fairly sure Fabio played the full 90 in his last reserves game. Wonder if him being hooked at half-time means he's gonna feature against Spurs?

On a separate note, this Petrucci lad. Very exciting altogether :D
Until we sell him to Villareal.

Looks well lively.

Virtuoso

They showed the highlights of the goals on Inside United tonight and MUTV will show the highlights of the match tomorrow night at 7:30pm.

Davide Petrucci's free kick was sublime, it could not have been any more perfect in truth. Curled wonderfully into the top corner. His disguise pass to Macheda for the first goal was superb too.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Thanks for the great and very well written report.. (Did you write that yourself?)

I'm fairly sure Fabio played the full 90 in his last reserves game. Wonder if him being hooked at half-time means he's gonna feature against Spurs?
Did he? I clearly remember reading that he got subbed?But the minute was not mentioned...

Found it here you go:

Highlights on Mutv now from yesterdays friendly

Amos
Evans
Fabio
Chester
DeLaet
Rodrigo
Eikrem
Drinkwater
Manucho
Martin
Cleverley

Will post more when I see it

The above were 1-11

12. Derbyshire (3)
13. Wootton
14. Bryan (10)
15. Norwood
16. Devlin

Drinkwater scored after 24 minutes an we won 1-0
Either ways I would still love to see him atleast on the bench for the Spurs game..

prateik

brandy on the right wing ?
any tricks or is he all pace ?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did he? I clearly remember reading that he got subbed?But the minute was not mentioned...
This is the quote from Mr Mujac's match report which made me think Fabio only played 45 minutes.

The Reds made two changes at half time, Joe Dudgeon coming on for Fabio and Jimmy Derbyshire replacing Richard Eckersley.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Never seen such a youthful reserve side. I prefer this approach, a lot. It would help if there was a competitive reserve league playing week in week out

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
This is the quote from Mr Mujac's match report which made me think Fabio only played 45 minutes.
No you have mis-understood.. I was asking you whether he played an entire 90 mins in the last game against Bradford.. Which is where I quoted him coming off as a sub..

I know he came off a sub in this match.. I was only saying that I was not sure if he had played an entire 90 mins in the last game i.e Against Bradford

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
No you have mis-understood.. I was asking you whether he played an entire 90 mins in the last game against Bradford.. Which is where I quoted him coming off as a sub..

I know he came off a sub in this match.. I was only saying that I was not sure if he had played an entire 90 mins in the last game i.e Against Bradford
Jimmy Derbyshire replaced Fabio against Bradford but I am not sure exactly when.

He definitely didn't play the full ninety minutes anyway.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Ah. Gotcha. My bad.

If it was all about a lack of match-fitness, i don't think he would be taken off at half-time though. Players coming back from injury would usually play for an hour or so, before getting tired.

All speculation though. We'll just have to wait and see.

PS18

Never seen such a youthful reserve side. I prefer this approach, a lot. It would help if there was a competitive reserve league playing week in week out
Not sure it's an approach as such. Several reserve regulars were obviously kept out of the game as cover for the first-team, and there's been a tendency to play a more youthful reserve side in the cup competitions anyway (the likes of Brandao, Gill, Wootton etc got games early in the season in MSC games).

Should be a more youthful side as the season goes on anyway now Hewson, Cleverley, Manucho and Gray are out on loan.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Cheers for the video and pics, jb and Tony. That was some strike by Petrucci.