Man Utd vs Wigan (Reserves)

Virtuoso

Manchester United 0-1 Wigan (HT)

Agahowa with the goal for the Latics. Been an even game so far but they've probably been a bit more dangerous because of Agahowa's pace up front, they've got a few other first team squad players staring too.

Rodrigo is starting, done well so far but kept it simple. We've got better as the half has gone along, with Eagles wasting an easy one on one against Carlo Nash. Welbeck's been quiet and so has Sam Hewson playing behind him in attack.

Ref's been a twat so far giving away free kicks for nothing and 4 bookings already.

kevg

Line up:

Heaton

Simpson
Pique
Chester
Lea

Eagles
Rodrigo
Jones
Barnes

Hewson
Welbeck

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I did'nt realise Hewson could play a more advanced role.
Does he suit it?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Manchester United 0-1 Wigan (HT)

Agahowa with the goal for the Latics. Been an even game so far but they've probably been a bit more dangerous because of Agahowa's pace up front, they've got a few other first team squad players staring too.

Rodrigo is starting, done well so far but kept it simple. We've got better as the half has gone along, with Eagles wasting an easy one on one against Carlo Nash. Welbeck's been quiet and so has Sam Hewson playing behind him in attack.

Ref's been a twat so far giving away free kicks for nothing and 4 bookings already.
Only saw the first half but I can't say that Rodrigo impressed me as a future United first time player. Some decent passing under pressure mixed with some poor touches. Him losing the ball in midfield led to the goal I think. Did not see the dynamism of someone who is allegedly "box-to-box" either.

kevg

Only saw the first half but I can't say that Rodrigo impressed me as a future United first time player. Some decent passing under pressure mixed with some poor touches. Him losing the ball in midfield led to the goal I think. Did not see the dynamism of someone who is allegedly "box-to-box" either.
I'd agree with that.

Hewson playing mainly off Welbeck but has dropped deep too. Played Eagles in with a great ball first half but has been fairly quiet otherwise.

Cleverly is on for Jones now

kevg

Crikey give him a chance lads.
Don't think anyone is writing him off yet, but he has been fairly poor tonight. He has just been subbed in fact with Eckerlsey coming on. He is a young lad new to this country so we can expect him to take time to settle.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Crikey give him a chance lads.
That youTube video of him that was posted last week gave a great impression of his passing, but I'm just saying what I have seen. To be considered a future United first team player then you really need to stand out, and he's been pretty invisible. There are plenty of valid excuses such as being new to English football and playing alongside some mediocre players like Richie Jones, but it's a tough standard you need to reach to make the United first team.

One player who has stood out is Pique. Been very solid, playing in midfield now.

kevg

Bryan on for Lea. Still 1-0 to Wigan with 78 minutes gone.

kevg

1-1 in 91st minute. Simpson cross deflected into the net, and that's how it finished.

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
To be considered a future United first team player then you really need to stand out, and he's been pretty invisible. There are plenty of valid excuses such as being new to English football and playing alongside some mediocre players like Richie Jones, but it's a tough standard you need to reach to make the United first team.
Anderson was invisible for the reserves against City and look how he's turned out!

Virtuoso

Well, the equaliser was very fortunate as Simpson's cross took a huge deflection but we definitely deserved something from the game as we dominated the 2nd half.

Rodrigo wasn't as impressive as last week in all honesty, a bit slow on the ball and agreed that I haven't seen any evidence for the claim that he's a "box-to-box" midfielder. Not discounting him at all yet, got a chance to break through but as ever, it won't be easy. With regards to Sam Hewson, I don't think playing as a support striker suits him. He's like a Scholes, needs to be running into the box from a deeper position to really be leathal otherwise he's holding the ball up and bringing others into the game - not really the best suited role for him.

Have to say, Welbeck's not been so impressive playing for the Reserves since he moved up from the Academy. It's not a matter of a lack of talent, for me it's because we're playing him as a lone striker with little support and that forces him to come very deep and therefore he isn't as effective. Same problem has surfaced in the Academy for Macheda, both Welbeck and Macheda struck up a great partnership earlier in the season playing for the Academy but since Welbeck's gone into the Reserves...neither of them have adapted to their new roles as yet. Both only young so plenty of time to learn. but for the interest of both sides...playing with 2 strikers would be beneficial rather than converting creative midfielders into forwards.

Piqué was superb playing in midfield when Rodrigo was taken off and Hewson was far more impressive playing in a deeper role too...really showed some great long and short passing.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well, the equaliser was very fortunate as Simpson's cross took a huge deflection but we definitely deserved something from the game as we dominated the 2nd half.

Rodrigo wasn't as impressive as last week in all honesty, a bit slow on the ball and agreed that I haven't seen any evidence for the claim that he's a "box-to-box" midfielder. Not discounting him at all yet, got a chance to break through but as ever, it won't be easy. With regards to Sam Hewson, I don't think playing as a support striker suits him. He's like a Scholes, needs to be running into the box from a deeper position to really be leathal otherwise he's holding the ball up and bringing others into the game - not really the best suited role for him.

Have to say, Welbeck's not been so impressive playing for the Reserves since he moved up from the Academy. It's not a matter of a lack of talent, for me it's because we're playing him as a lone striker with little support and that forces him to come very deep and therefore he isn't as effective. Same problem has surfaced in the Academy for Macheda, both Welbeck and Macheda struck up a great partnership earlier in the season playing for the Academy but since Welbeck's gone into the Reserves...neither of them have adapted to their new roles as yet. Both only young so plenty of time to learn. but for the interest of both sides...playing with 2 strikers would be beneficial rather than converting creative midfielders into forwards.

Piqué was superb playing in midfield when Rodrigo was taken off and Hewson was far more impressive playing in a deeper role too...really showed some great long and short passing.
Cheers for the report.
In the games i've seen Wellbeck has been slightly dissapointing, but there is a bit of pressure on him, and he's just moved up a level, so there's plenty of time for him yet.
Hewson was excellent for the youth team last season, hows he made the step up to the reserves? Looks like a born leader to me.

RedPhil1957

Very difficult to play against a stronger older side especially when we have some in the team either playing poorly and one or two just not good enough.

Lea, Jones ---------- not good enough in fact Lea was terrible.

Barnes and simpson both played poorly although simpson did improve later in the game

Pique -- great in midfield not as secure in defence but has been injured so excused probably

Rodrigo -- did not adjust to the physical nature of the game and looked a bit lost but then new everything team mates, climate, style etc.

Eagles - once again the most inventive player, he really is very skillful, sometimes makes the wrong decision and still gets knocked about a bit but showing a bit more resiliance than before.

Welbeck - hard going against a big physical defence who were not afraid to dish out a few nasties. Short of support and supply with the left hand side of team offering nothing.

Virtuoso

Cheers for the report.
In the games i've seen Wellbeck has been slightly dissapointing, but there is a bit of pressure on him, and he's just moved up a level, so there's plenty of time for him yet.
Hewson was excellent for the youth team last season, hows he made the step up to the reserves? Looks like a born leader to me.
Yeah he's doing very well, commands the midfield even amongst players who are considerably older than him. The supporting role behind the striker is not suited to him however, he's better running into the play rather than with his back to goal trying to support Welbeck. When he dropped deaper into midfield then you really saw his quality...very Scholes-like in stature, style and his long-short passing is superb with a fierce shot too.

Good report heapy.
It was my report, my report! :) ;)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Can't see Barnes, Lea or Jones getting new contracts.

Virtuoso

Welbeck should play right-wing.
Not sure about that mate, he's certainly not suited to playing as a lone striker but I think his performances especially for the Academy have proven that his talents are best suited to playing up front. A bit like Ronaldo really; pace, trickery, control, strength, good aerial ability and isn't afraid to shoot but his final product from the wings was never good enough. He's such a talented player and for me, playing in the centre is where we will see the best of him...as long as he has someone alongside him.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Disagree about Welbeck's position, at least for the moment - in future I could see him as a striker, but I think he should play on the wing for now. He clearly has an eye for goal and is decent in the air, but his crossing is more than reasonable in my view and his pace, trickery, creativeness, passing etc. will be more important on the wing. Maybe most importantly, I think it would help take the pressure off him a bit while he's making the step up.

Bottom line is that he has impressed me most when playing on the wing and attacking from there.

Virtuoso

Disagree about Welbeck's position, at least for the moment - in future I could see him as a striker, but I think he should play on the wing for now. He clearly has an eye for goal and is decent in the air, but his crossing is more than reasonable in my view and his pace, trickery, creativeness, passing etc. will be more important on the wing. Maybe most importantly, I think it would help take the pressure off him a bit while he's making the step up.

Bottom line is that he has impressed me most when playing on the wing and attacking from there.
Yeah I see what you mean, for me he was most impressive earlier in the season playing upfront alongside Macheda but he was doing a bit of an Henry by coming in from the wings but also playing central. He was also brilliant playing up front with Moses for the England U17 side, so I think as a lone striker there is far too much pressure on him but if he has someone with him...he can really be a threat.

I think one reason for why he's been thrusted up front is due to our lack of quality strikers in the Reserves...Dong doesn't even get a look in now when we're desperate for a striker.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah I see what you mean, for me he was most impressive earlier in the season playing upfront alongside Macheda but he was doing a bit of an Henry by coming in from the wings but also playing central. He was also brilliant playing up front with Moses for the England U17 side, so I think as a lone striker there is far too much pressure on him but if he has someone with him...he can really be a threat.

I think one reason for why he's been thrusted up front is due to our lack of quality strikers in the Reserves...Dong doesn't even get a look in now when we're desperate for a striker.
That would be because he's injured, to be fair.

Virtuoso

With Dong injured and Brandy/Campbell out on loan is it too early to throw Mechada into the reserves for a few games?
Tough question though I have to agree with Pogue Mahone, this season he has play consistently in the Academy and find his feet. At only 16 years of age it'd be too soon for him and would hit the Academy side very hard.

Though Welbeck and Macheda struck up a special partnership, probably have to wait until next season to see both of them in the Reserves.

We've got Liverpool away on Tuesday night, they're 6 points ahead of us and are top of the league...we really need to take all 3 points.

Virtuoso

He has been in the last few games, not really suited there in my opinion, well at least not with Wellbeck as both really need to be working off someone.
He was right wing last night, was pretty quiet but the goal was really his doing because he played a superb left-footed reverse pass to Simpson. He does better up front than Hewson but still both should be in midfield.

Tribec

Why the feck doesn'y Eagles play up front?
That's easy, he ain't good enough...... I don't rate Eagles at all, and I'm sure he'll be sold sooner rather than later. As for Wellbeck he'll have to learn to play more down the middle as his route to the first team as a winger looks like being blocked for a few years to come already.

However, let's be honest here. Fergie always stated that Giggs would end up down the middle and that would be his best spot when he was younger and it didn't work out. So let's just sit back and watch as Wellbeck progresses and see if he does indeed earn his first team spot.

PS18

Eagles is out of contract in the summer isn't he? doubt we'll renew it, strange decision to let it run down as we could probably have got a million or so for him last summer i'd imagine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's easy, he ain't good enough...... I don't rate Eagles at all, and I'm sure he'll be sold sooner rather than later. As for Wellbeck he'll have to learn to play more down the middle as his route to the first team as a winger looks like being blocked for a few years to come already.

However, let's be honest here. Fergie always stated that Giggs would end up down the middle and that would be his best spot when he was younger and it didn't work out. So let's just sit back and watch as Wellbeck progresses and see if he does indeed earn his first team spot.
I agree with you. Which is a worry. Cause he's been the best reserve player this season, by a country mile.