Manager draft - TRV(Guardiola) VS MJJ(Lippi)

Who would win based on the peak under the chosen manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Just came online now. Give me some time to go through the comments please.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
The reason why xavi and iniesta dominated games to such a large extent was because they always had an out ball to busquest. That option will be taken away from them here with baggio pre-occupying busquests and dragging him out of position time and time again.
Baggio can drag Busquets out of position only when you have the ball. Once, I have the possession, I don't see how Baggio would drag Busquets out of the position. Also, all three of Neuer, Puyol and Pique were very good passers of the ball from their respective positions. And, none of Vieri, Ronaldo or Baggio were known for their pressing. So, they would be able to find Busquets/Xavi with their passes.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
one thing I will say this early, messi won't be dragging my centrebacks away as when he drop deeps deschamp or/and conte will pick him up as for pirlo being pressed out of the game, many players have tried and failed.
So, that means you're going to allow Xavi and Iniesta full control of the ball and put no pressure on them? Because, Conte and Deschamps can't take care of Messi when he drops deep and Xavi-Iniesta simultaneously.

del piero, Di livio and jugovic.

another point, alves was crucial to that barca side in terms of stretching the play and carrying the ball with lahm in his place it means trv has to go through an already congested middle instead of having that option out wide.
Alves overlapped more than Lahm. But, you are absolutely wrong if you think Lahm won't overlap a lot. He would. The difference between the two is, Alves overlaps like a man mad and leaves space behind many times for counters while Lahm is up there with the best ever right backs, because of his ability to contribute in both attack and defence. Lahm was a master at timing his runs which meant, he knew when to pick up the right time to overlap and not make your team prone to counters. He and Robben have played together a lot and have got a great understanding between them. If you're ignoring Lahm's overlapping ability here, you are making a big mistake because he has the ability to provide that final ball or pre-assist for the goal.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think that Robben-Lahm pairing lacks width in comparison with Alves-Pedro to be fair, even if it does, the gap isn't big. They are much more versatile too.
Robben can drag Zambrotta out of his position which would create space between Zambrotta and Ferrara. Now, how would he react to someone like Lahm making an attacking run there? Because Bayern did that a lot. He can't surely leave Lahm free, there. Can he?

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Issues with TRV, questions regarding Henry and Robben's ability/probability of performing tactical and defensive duties required for their roles? What made that 2010-11 Barça side so brilliant in attack was the way Villa and Pedro were complete team-players in both transition phases (incredibly important in creating space for Messi by making decoy runs). Henry only had one season (2009-10) where he played a similar-ish role and he wasn't a starter anymore by then, so very little to go on. As for his tracking back, I also have my doubts and with Abidal needing to tuck in that would leave a lot of space and opportunity for Zanetti. No questions over Robben's work rate or defensive duties in the last couple of years, but would he additionally make the same sort of in-to-out decoy runs? (one for @Balu).
Think you're being harsh on Robben's tactical and defensive duties here. This season in the new 3-5-2 formation (Difficult to put it exactly what sort of formation it is), Pep is playing, Robben is playing on the right of that five. He attacks a lot obviously but at the same time he tracks back. He did that against Roma and also Dortmund this weekend. Under Pep, he has upped his defensive game a lot and is also much more involved in build-up play than going solo evert single time. Obviously, he still goes solo time to time but that what makes him so dangerous. He can now hurt in more than one way.

Also, people saying how Robben wouldn't make those attackings runs ahead of the ball, need to watch Lewandowski goal against Dortmund this week. It was his run which stretched Dortmund's defence and had to require a last ditch challenge from Subotic to clear it out, only for it to fall near Lewandowski who smashed it in.

Robben used to be a one trick-pony few years ago but ever since 2011/12, he has become a much more complete player. He still his trademark move but thats not the only thing he does nowadays. He can cut inside or attack you from the wide.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Wow TRV leads 21-14?
Far from being a surprise:

1) After all the bumming in the draft thread
2) After the recent "best club" thread indicated the average poster around here is in his early 20s
3) After two years of playing like complete dogshit and seeing combos that people think will work not working, everyone knows Barca worked

I'm more surprised at the 14 than the gap.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Which brings me back to the composition of that back four, it just feels wrong when you fully expect Zambrotta to regularly be charging forward in possession. There's no point in Zambrotta otherwise (whatever bit of defending he can do) but his designated cover is an RCB/RB. No matter how much MJJ rates Ferrara as a better defender than Montero, surely it's close enough to make that element the clincher.

As it is, with no Del Piero (who should be playing IMO), it's probably more important that he joins the attack on that flank but from his first teamsheet I felt both his fullbacks would be better off playing at RB. Is Lippi's leftback pool all that thin? Off the top of my head all I can think of is Pessotto/Torricelli (both right-footed) and Georgatos at Inter (IIRC, total defensive liability). But it only makes Montero more of an obvious pick and, for the first time, I'd agree to see Zanetti at LB.
Pessotto would've been a decent addition, in my opinion. I rate him highly - tactically brilliant player of the sort the Italians have produced so many of over the years. Picked him for one of the previous drafts, forget which at the moment. Clearly not your typical vote puller, though.

Oh - and definitely a left sided man, even though he was right footed (as you rightly say): One of them right footed lefties.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't like the Lippi midfield here, the attack seems ideal to break down Barcelona.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Pessotto would've been a decent addition, in my opinion. I rate him highly - tactically brilliant player of the sort the Italians have produced so many of over the years. Picked him for one of the previous drafts, forget which at the moment. Clearly not your typical vote puller, though.

Oh - and definitely a left sided man, even though he was right footed (as you rightly say): One of them right footed lefties.
Yeah, defintely a leftback. The right-footed comment largely directed at Torricelli. The issue with Pessotto is he wasn't a classic fullback, you couldn't quite call him defensive or attacking, he didn't have much pace... but he was very tactically proficient and aware. Not eye-catching, more of an acquired taste. As you say, the sort that goes down like a lead balloon in a draft.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Maybe it's time for him to drop one of the strikers for Di Livio and promote Conte up to press Busquets. I know it's Ronaldo, but Baggio's movement behind Vieiri's pace would be ideal imo. Putting a reign on Busquets might be just enough to tilt the balance to his attack.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So, that means you're going to allow Xavi and Iniesta full control of the ball and put no pressure on them? Because, Conte and Deschamps can't take care of Messi when he drops deep and Xavi-Iniesta simultaneously.
I don't think that is the right way to go. Concentrating on enemy weakness rather than strengths. Trying to contain Barca by pressing Xavi and Iniesta is a bad tactic imo.

The way to go is to squeeze at the ends letting them have the middle. Press Busquets (Neuer and Puyol are good passers, but neither can replace Busq) to disrupt their passing game and squeeze space in your own box (compact defence squeezing space that Messi thrives in) having a good emphasis on wide counters would be the optimal approach.

VivaJanuzaj

The way to go is to squeeze at the ends letting them have the middle. Press Busquets (Neuer and Puyol are good passers, but neither can replace Busq) to disrupt their passing game and squeeze space in your own box (compact defence squeezing space that Messi thrives in) having a good emphasis on wide counters would be the optimal approach.
I think that a lot of times team were trying to do exactly that in order to break up Barca's link between defense and midfield in the passing game, but than one thing happened - If Xavi was in a good game he'd drop deep and just make Barca's attacks start faster and with more pace in transition and the rest of the team would attack quicker, or if Xavi was in a bad game it wouldn't work.
But here, TRV has Xavi at his absolute prime, and the Xavi that really really rarely had a bad game in that prime and even if he does you got Lahm's passing game here to cover for it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think that a lot of times team were trying to do exactly that in order to break up Barca's link between defense and midfield in the passing game, but than one thing happened - If Xavi was in a good game he'd drop deep and just make Barca's attacks start faster and with more pace in transition and the rest of the team would attack quicker, or if Xavi was in a bad game it wouldn't work.
But here, TRV has Xavi at his absolute prime, and the Xavi that really really rarely had a bad game in that prime and even if he does you got Lahm's passing game here to cover for it.
That's the thing, pushing Xavi to operate deeper. Stopping short of man marking (even that is questionable) I don't think it is possible to mitigate Xavi or Iniesta to a great extent. But Busquets definitely. Don't think Lahm can influence a game from full back position as much as Busq in the middle.