Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Regressed so badly and we really need to move him on for big money if the chance arises. I’m less confident of who we can bring in to replace what he is supposed to offer in the team though. I don’t simply want a player who can come in and better Rashford at his very worst, I want a player who can match Rashford at his best - which is an extremely small market.

Perhaps Garnacho can replace him directly and become that 15+ PL goal winger. Greenwood would have made it easier to replace Rashford as he’d have been an 18 goal wide player himself by now, which would have allowed for more of a creator on the left. But we need a couple of top class goal threats in the front line.

Nevertheless, a solution needs to be found, as we are getting too little for our money with Rashford now, and it doesn’t pay for him to be here as some sort of squad player. Anything short of being the main difference maker in the frontline is not worth what we pay.
Think there is a good chance we will have a new manager next season. And looking at most of the options I think there is a good chance that manager will play 343. Both to solve some of the issues we have and due to several of the options playing that way.

Looking at the types a lot of managers use when they play 343 I think Mount and Bruno would be considered attackers. It could leave us with Bruno, Mount, Garnacho, Antony and maybe Amad in the two positions behind the striker. Five players for two positions?

In other words, in such a setup, if we sell/get rid of Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood, it would be wise to bring in someone like Eze who would be an option as an eight and an attacker. But it would also make it even more important to add at a minimum one fullback.

Onana/+1; Todibo/Maguire, Martinez/Kambwala, Branthwaite/Shaw; Frimpong/AWB, Onana/McT, Eze/Mainoo, Dalot/Malacia; Bruno/Antony, Mount/Garnacho, Hojlund/New

Would require a lot of in and outs. But would also imply cutting cost heavily removing players like Varane, Lindelof, Casemiro, Rashford, Sancho, Donny and Martial. A group of players who make close to £100 mill a year at Man Utd. Replaced with a new group probably making half that.

Depreciations might increase slighly, but at the same time players like Sancho, Casemiro and Varane have high depreciations, and the book value of Maguire probably reaches zero this summer. In sum, these four players (ex wages) cost Man Utd approx £50 mill this season. £50 mill equates to buying five players at a total cost (ex wages) of £250m and depreciating them over five years.

Last edited:

singhters

Rashford gets ball tries to shoot hits players legs, rinse repeat over and over. Leave the club.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Rashford gets ball tries to shoot hits players legs, rinse repeat over and over. Leave the club.
A more accurate description would be, gets the ball, stops, waits for all the defenders to get in position and decidfe whether he's goint to try and dribble past them all of pass it backwards, the number of times he ignored the player on the overlap outside was astounding

SER19

He's an awful player. Id encourage anyone who doubts this to watch the top clubs. Even their full backs are far superior to him in terms of technical ability and decision making. His level is bottom half, wide player on counter attack.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I honestly hope we’re able to cash in and reinvest the money into the squad. I also think it’s actually in both parties best interest that he leaves. Challenge is that only a handful of clubs can afford his wage and none of them, bar PSG has a gap to fill.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Only performs once every 3 seasons, not what United need. Sell him and find someone who gives a feck.

RedDevil@84

Should be the first one to be sold, but pretty sure Ineos would not have big enough ba**s.

Remember the geese

He was getting a lot of abuse from those around me earlier. Even a few boos when he was subbed. Finally the patience of match going fans is starting to wane.

Devil81

Sadly I was kind of happy to see him go off injured today. He was totally stinking the place out and his attitude stunk again.

Crazy thing was he seemed to get injured by a tackle that didn't actually make contact.

Wonder if he wanted off the pitch?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He was getting a lot of abuse from those around me earlier. Even a few boos when he was subbed. Finally the patience of match going fans is starting to wane.
I don't think it was just a few boos. Everyone stood around me was booing him off, and I presume that was the case for most sections of the United end.

Swedish_Plumber

Seems to have even giving up running in behind which was pretty much all he was good for as an attacking outlet anyways. He’s so casual with ball at his feet and seems to think that’s enough :confused:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't understand how a player can fluctuate in form as wildly as him. It must hint at an underlying issue which probably isn't conducive to being on such a big stage/in so much limelight.

CtrlAltDeLigt

Not sure how easy it will be to survive in a top half club with only one trick up your sleeve, ie. The run in behind.

He makes Antony look good, when it comes to playing teams that play low block. He is just not that kind of player who is tactically flexible.

He should be a bit more selfish and push hard to go into a league or a team that can allow him to play to his strengths, PL ain’t it for him.

Devil81

Seems to have even giving up running in behind which was pretty much all he was good for as an attacking outlet anyways. He’s so casual with ball at his feet and seems to think that’s enough :confused:
I wonder if he believes he's better than he is and the strolling is a similar thing to what Messi does to conserve energy etc..

Only his best ability was running in behind and putting pressure on defenses with his powerful running stand shooting.

Jam

I wonder if he believes he's better than he is and the strolling is a similar thing to what Messi does to conserve energy etc..

Only his best ability was running in behind and putting pressure on defenses with his powerful running stand shooting.
Watching Messi stroll about not being involved in off the ball situations is mildly annoying to see - but you can also understand he was a 30+ year old who had 12+ years being the best or second best player in the world and the most valuable on the ball player in the world arguably ever. So y’know, he can.

But Rashford?

I really really don’t get the whole situation. It’s not a fitness thing; he’s 26 and incredibly fit. It’s not a beneficial to the team thing. I don’t believe it’s a coached instruction…. That would be mental. But when it’s as clear as day to everyone watching but the manager allows to happen week after week?

Big Andy

Bloke
To quote AlternativeMUFC

pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

Oh, he’s ran down a blind alley and given it away

georgipep

Watching Messi stroll about not being involved in off the ball situations is mildly annoying to see - but you can also understand he was a 30+ year old who had 12+ years being the best or second best player in the world and the most valuable on the ball player in the world arguably ever. So y’know, he can.

But Rashford?

I really really don’t get the whole situation. It’s not a fitness thing; he’s 26 and incredibly fit. It’s not a beneficial to the team thing. I don’t believe it’s a coached instruction…. That would be mental. But when it’s as clear as day to everyone watching but the manager allows to happen week after week?
He does run the most sprints and high intensity runs from everyone on the pitch, every time this state is made available.

Whether it's tactical or not, I'm inclined to say it is. And probably ETH does it because Rashford without the explosive runs behind is not nearly as useful and we can't instill fear in opposition defences.

It's a pragmatic solution that is likely to the detriment of the team.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He does run the most sprints and high intensity runs from everyone on the pitch, every time this state is made available.

Whether it's tactical or not, I'm inclined to say it is. And probably ETH does it because Rashford without the explosive runs behind is not nearly as useful and we can't instill fear in opposition defences.

Without them he has no use whatsoever currently

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I get that Marcus can create something out of nothing and because of that ETH feels like he needs to play. Problem is, every time he plays him, he is telling him that his performances are acceptable. It's one thing if you're trying hard and playing like crap (Bruno), but Marcus doesn't even put in the effort. He's just bad. Time for Garnacho to play on the left and Amad on the right. At this point, I'm not even sure if Marcus should even be on the bench...

Chairman Steve

I hope to god that new contract is not as extravagant as reported, and is actually laden with performance stipulations and clauses galore in it, or he has some agreement in it stating if a certain club came and offered X amount he could leave (hence the blatant half-assed efforts)

Otherwise this is right up there for worst decisions made by Manchester United post-Ferguson.

Pughnichi

I don't understand how a player can fluctuate in form as wildly as him. It must hint at an underlying issue which probably isn't conducive to being on such a big stage/in so much limelight.
Fluctuate in form. Are you a mad man!

that would suggest he even hits form to be able to the fluctuate.

lex talionis

Who'll buy that contract from us at 375 a week?
This is the problem. I'd like to see a list of the top 20 footballers on the planet -- which Marcus is not -- and see how his salary stacks up against theirs.

Sancho99

I hope to god that new contract is not as extravagant as reported, and is actually laden with performance stipulations and clauses galore in it, or he has some agreement in it stating if a certain club came and offered X amount he could leave (hence the blatant half-assed efforts)

Otherwise this is right up there for worst decisions made by Manchester United post-Ferguson.
That's something that a sensible and functioning club would do.

Jam

If we play Devil’s advocate and assume it is 100% a conscious tactical decision….

Then why not have him with higher involvement and do 60-70 minutes from the start, or have him come on and go full pelt 20-30 minutes. Or have him go (reasonably) full pelt 90 but manage his games and rests inbetween and not have him play twice a week in the thick of the season.

That’s all based on if we assume Rashford isn’t fit enough to offer dynamic team movements as well as his sprints. But I cannot remember the last time he looked like he was physically flagging, rather than just languid.

And that’s all based on his sprints being effective when at the moment 1 in 30 contributes anything like a dangerous chance.

We could barely afford to carry him if he was in great form with those Chances per Sprints if we wanted higher ambitions. But carrying him and him being ineffective is absolutely killing us.

RuudTom83

United has to be the club where you can guarantee at least one of the top earners will have a meltdown in performance every season.

The idea that EtH should bench Rashford (+300k) and Casemiro (+300k) after benching Sancho (+250k) earlier in the year and Ronaldo (££££) and Maguire the season before, it's just crazy to imagine.

No other club would you have that conveyor belt of failure.

Someone needs to ask Rashford, not if he loves the club or how it feels to play for United...they need to ask him why his performances have been terrible all season and why can't beat a defender? No manager has a godlike grip over the players on the field, his failings are his alone.

But its probably easier to just hide and wait for the manager to get sacked...Clean Slate FC

clarkydaz

There was a point in the Bournemoth game he lost the ball around his usual left wing position, then tracked all way back to right back position. notiecable as it was so out of character