Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There was a point in the Bournemoth game he lost the ball around his usual left wing position, then tracked all way back to right back position. notiecable as it was so out of character
I saw that and wondered if someone had set a rocket off up his arse!

What I don't get is that much of the time he gets the ball stops whilst h decides what he's going to do next, by then the opposition has reset and anything he attempts is now doubly more difficult, he seems incapable of making a quick decision

Lost bear

Sadly I was kind of happy to see him go off injured today. He was totally stinking the place out and his attitude stunk again.

Crazy thing was he seemed to get injured by a tackle that didn't actually make contact.

Wonder if he wanted off the pitch?
I wouldn’t be surprised. Most games he plays like he would rather not be on it. I wish the club would sell him.

RedDevil@84

This is the problem. I'd like to see a list of the top 20 footballers on the planet -- which Marcus is not -- and see how his salary stacks up against theirs.
It is difficult to get exact salaries as different sources would come up with different amounts. But I think the top 20 nowadays have salaries upwards of 325k pw.

On top of my head, Mbappe, Haaland, Kane, KDB,Lewa, Kroos, FDJ surely have high salaries. Salah has 350k for sure.
Bellingham also I guess. Oblak I remember had well over 300k.

In our team Varane and Casemiro have 340-350k.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It is difficult to get exact salaries as different sources would come up with different amounts. But I think the top 20 nowadays have salaries upwards of 325k pw.

On top of my head, Mbappe, Haaland, Kane, KDB,Lewa, Kroos, FDJ surely have high salaries. Salah has 350k for sure.

It's impossible, I assume image rights and sucn like are part of an overall package that gets reported as xxx per week

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I just watched the Overlap interview with Anthony Gordon, Rashford should be locked in a room with it on a loop, footballers have a general image of being as thick as three short planks, Gordon is the exact opposite of that, this young lad is going places if he keeps this up

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I just watched the Overlap interview with Anthony Gordon, Rashford should be locked in a room with it on a loop, footballers have a general image of being as thick as three short planks, Gordon is the exact opposite of that, this young lad is going places if he keeps this up

Was very shocked about how he came across, as I thought he was bellend. He just seems ridiculously focused and motivated and improved, so I can kind of understand why the way he is sometimes on a pitch with the way he prepares for games - positive and negative aspects.

Oranges038

That was good, he comes across really well.

The whole thing about the mental side and visualisation of games before hand is important for every player I think. I've always done it, 2 to 3 days before a game, start thinking about it, what you're going to do etc. Now, I always tell my young players I'm coaching to visual games and moments in games, so when it happens they will know what to do.

lex talionis

Varane and Casemiro are both at 340-350k per week???

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It really is a strange on in the sense that I feel this Summer is the prime time for all parties to win.

Rashford's career has stalled, his relationship with the club has soured and he quite clearly needs a fresh start somewhere else.

We need to freshen up the attack to make it thrive. Its a shame as he's an academy-made, but he takes up a vital position in our squad and on a lot of moolah.

PSG need a replacement for Mbappe.

diarm

It really is a strange on in the sense that I feel this Summer is the prime time for all parties to win.

Rashford's career has stalled, his relationship with the club has soured and he quite clearly needs a fresh start somewhere else.

We need to freshen up the attack to make it thrive. Its a shame as he's an academy-made, but he takes up a vital position in our squad and on a lot of moolah.

I'm being an absolute Captain Hindsight here obviously, but we'd have got €150m for him last summer and he's done the square root of feck all this season. We're about 12 months too late for the prime time.

We'll be doing extremely well to sell him for a third of that this summer.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Wait a min. PSG's solution to replace Mbappe who had 26 league goal in 27 games so far, is to go for a player who scored 7 league goals in 31 matches and may not even selected for the national team this summer?

All parties to win? Really?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wait a min. PSG's solution to replace Mbappe who had 26 league goal in 27 games so far, is to go for a player who scored 7 league goals in 31 matches and may not even selected for the national team this summer?

His top level is obviously a lot better than what we've seen this season. That's hardly a controversial take. If a move sorts his head out he'll be fine, wherever he goes.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Varane and Casemiro are both at 340-350k per week???

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am.
Yeah, that's about the consensus (based on various sources).

Nobody actually knows the details of their contracts. But it seems very likely, let's say, that they are our best paid players - and that they make (even) more than Rashford (who's on 300k, thereabouts).

Not that surprising, though.

Pretty much on brand for United in recent times (but it bloody well needs to stop, and I suppose we can hope Jimbo and his lads understand this).

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

He will smash it in the French league. Will be a downgrade in the CL though.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His top level is obviously a lot better than what we've seen this season. That's hardly a controversial take. If a move sorts his head out he'll be fine, wherever he goes.
He will smash it in the French league. Will be a downgrade in the CL though.
I would say it may worth the risk for any club to "sort his head out" and test his "true top level" if it is a loan and Utd pay for his salary.

Edit
Isn't Lukaku still out on loan to sort his head out and testing his true top level?

Last edited:

lex talionis

Yeah, that's about the consensus (based on various sources).

Nobody actually knows the details of their contracts. But it seems very likely, let's say, that they are our best paid players - and that they make (even) more than Rashford (who's on 300k, thereabouts).

Not that surprising, though.

Pretty much on brand for United in recent times (but it bloody well needs to stop, and I suppose we can hope Jimbo and his lads understand this).
Unless they're willing to walk away from their contracts I don't see how we get them off the books next season. That said, I see more value in Casemiro and Varane than the consensus here that they're shit and should be sent to pasture. But there is no denying that their wages are excessive relative to their contributions on the pitch.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I'm being an absolute Captain Hindsight here obviously, but we'd have got €150m for him last summer and he's done the square root of feck all this season. We're about 12 months too late for the prime time.

We'll be doing extremely well to sell him for a third of that this summer.
I said in the Rashford thread last year before his contract was signed that we should think about selling him rather than giving him a huge contract!

antk

I don't know why there's an obsession around here about selling Rashford to PSG. There hasn't been any noise on the french side for a long time, they already have a Mbappé replacement position-wise in Barcola, and Rashford doesn't seem to match Luis Enrique's tactics, with the latter having solidified its status and power at Paris these last few months.

I would be very surprised if it happened. If they sign a big name this summer, it probably won't be at Mbappé's position.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That's a very weird 3 people to lump together
Honestly thought he was going to say Joe Rogan.

The reporting of that interview has been so weird. The creeping nature of that faux intellectual high performance bollocks into everything is so shit.

SER19

Just make him watch our away game against newcastle. The worst individual performance ever in a united shirt and Gordon just showed him up brutally. Id swap them in a heartbeat.

AneRu

He is a lot better than he is showing right now and everyone with a bit of football understanding knows this. I think he has been mentally worn down by the constant boom-bust cycles at United, his part in them and the flak he gets as a result. A new environment, different coaches and team mates could reignite him.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't know why there's an obsession around here about selling Rashford to PSG. There hasn't been any noise on the french side for a long time, they already have a Mbappé replacement position-wise in Barcola, and Rashford doesn't seem to match Luis Enrique's tactics, with the latter having solidified its status and power at Paris these last few months.

I would be very surprised if it happened. If they sign a big name this summer, it probably won't be at Mbappé's position.
The best thing that can happen at this point is a manager coming in and freezing him out. The problem is when that happens he'll "respond" by putting in an odd shift and the cycle will never end. He's going to cause us huge problems over the coming seasons unless we sign someone at LW who will blow him out of the water statistically and consistently wise.

Hammondo

He is a lot better than he is showing right now and everyone with a bit of football understanding knows this. I think he has been mentally worn down by the constant boom-bust cycles at United, his part in them and the flak he gets as a result. A new environment, different coaches and team mates could reignite him.
Ah so because of this and obviously anyone with any football knowledge knows this, we will be stacked with offers.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rashford is an excellent player but he lacks the attitude to be at a club like United. Players can't simply switch off because the manager might be mean to his mate. Even at off form players must put a shift in.

AneRu

Ah so because of this and obviously anyone with any football knowledge knows this, we will be stacked with offers.
I know this is tongue in cheek but football has a way of writing off people after a bad spell, look at Emery and how he was written off after a poor job at Arsenal. His contract could be problematic but he won't be short of offers especially if we accept anything between 60 and 70m.

ElDiabloRojo

Worth £30m for the publicity at least, football side of things...

Take the £30 and save the wage and the negativity. Be best for both club and player.

philippexyz

Clearly the time to sell, not sure he'd want to leave, though. And getting an acceptable fee with those wages would be pretty challenging.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I know this is tongue in cheek but football has a way of writing off people after a bad spell, look at Emery and how he was written off after a poor job at Arsenal. His contract could be problematic but he won't be short of offers especially if we accept anything between 60 and 70m.
Only CAF wrote Emery off. Not Aston Villa, not Villarreal, and definitely not Monchi. It is just like Ancelotti is written off after a poor job in Bayern and Napoli. If Ancelotti is always rated as all time great in CAF, why Utd not after his service when he was available before the Everton appointment?

Malons

The assumption PSG cannot afford to scout him or a television subscription so they have been completely unaware of how awful he is, really needs to stop. PSG are a top side, pushing for honours in the latter stages of the elite European competition. They're not some gullable old bird who we can try and flog the old banger in the forecourt to, hoping she doesn't notice the arse has fallen off, the steering wheel is cellotaped on and overlook the fact we've stuck a post-it note with 'Zero miles' and a smiley face over the dashboard.

It's laughable to be honest. He isn't in their league. They'd think twice about hiring him to work in the canteen.Yet every time he has a stinker - which is every single week, it's "Come on PSG, take him off our hands". People clearly don't think very much of PSG.

E-mal

The assumption PSG cannot afford to scout him or a television subscription so they have been completely unaware of how awful he is, really needs to stop. PSG are a top side, pushing for honours in the latter stages of the elite European competition. They're not some gullable old bird who we can try and flog the old banger in the forecourt to, hoping she doesn't notice the arse has fallen off, the steering wheel is cellotaped on and overlook the fact we've stuck a post-it note with 'Zero miles' and a smiley face over the dashboard.

It's laughable to be honest. He isn't in their league. They'd think twice about hiring him to work in the canteen.Yet every time he has a stinker - which is every single week, it's "Come on PSG, take him off our hands". People clearly don't think very much of PSG.
Allow us to dream, it is free

Speako

Great watch.

dazjoe

Maradona
Donald Trump
Rocky Gervais

Jesus Christ youth is wasted on the young.
I said in the Rashford thread last year before his contract was signed that we should think about selling him rather than giving him a huge contract!
Wasn't he into the last 12 months of his contract when he signed a new one? So being realistic we were never getting 150 or thereabouts, no clubs paying that for someone they can get for free if they just wait a year, and once the contract was signed then no one was going to bid as clear he was staying.