Martha Thomas | moves to Spurs

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Scottish international striker. She played college football in the US but got injured (ACL) when she was due to go pro. Once she recovered she went to France and played for Le Havre for a year. She's played for West Ham for the last two seasons and scored ten goals. Whether she'll be an automatic starter I guess depends on how well Russo recovers and who else we bring in.

Grande

Scottish international striker. She played college football in the US but got injured (ACL) when she was due to go pro. Once she recovered she went to France and played for Le Havre for a year. She's played for West Ham for the last two seasons and scored ten goals. Whether she'll be an automatic starter I guess depends on how well Russo recovers and who else we bring in.
Welcome to the team!

Ehrm. I’m not really sure where to post this - it’s not much to do with Martha Thomas, cause I don’t know much of her - but rather about the fact that I don’t know much of her. After a fantastic growth with Casey Stoney, which ended with us almost breaking into the CL/top3 bank after continually strengthening the team year by year, she resigns under a cloud of ‘lack of ambition on the part of the club’ (how damning at Man United!). After a vow of ‘no, no, we’re very ambitious’, we’ve seen two of the best players (ok, predictably, Press and Heath), one of the most talented players (James), two of the most experienced players (Turner and McManus) leave, and many … less known forces come in.

Now, I like the more sobre, less apocalyptic level of discussion around the women’s team, yet I have a worry wether Stoney is right if she deems herself more ambitious than Murtaugh and the Glazers. Are our recruitment a serious attempt at overcoming Ardenal, City and Chelsea, or is is it more about consolidating a place in mid table safety?

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Welcome to the team!

Ehrm. I’m not really sure where to post this - it’s not much to do with Martha Thomas, cause I don’t know much of her - but rather about the fact that I don’t know much of her. After a fantastic growth with Casey Stoney, which ended with us almost breaking into the CL/top3 bank after continually strengthening the team year by year, she resigns under a cloud of ‘lack of ambition on the part of the club’ (how damning at Man United!). After a vow of ‘no, no, we’re very ambitious’, we’ve seen two of the best players (ok, predictably, Press and Heath), one of the most talented players (James), two of the most experienced players (Turner and McManus) leave, and many … less known forces come in.

Now, I like the more sobre, less apocalyptic level of discussion around the women’s team, yet I have a worry wether Stoney is right if she deems herself more ambitious than Murtaugh and the Glazers. Are our recruitment a serious attempt at overcoming Ardenal, City and Chelsea, or is is it more about consolidating a place in mid table safety?
I think there's a current gap between City/Chelsea and Arsenal. Arsenal are potentially at a crossroads (Viv's contract expires next summer), their recruitment has been okay, but nothing amazing. Everton seem to be the club doing the best recruitment so far and they'll be the team to watch for. I don't think this recruitments gets any closer to top 2, it's more consolidation of the current position. Although I do think that with the Defense/Midfield signings the team is better than last season. It's the forward line thats lite imo.

All of the transfers in and out so far were going to happen if Casey had stayed. McManus they tried to sell in January (according to Emma Sanders from BBC). Amy Turner's fiancee's NWSL move was announced in Jan and it was speculated she'd go at the same time. Press/Heath would have been great to stay, but it's clear they only wanted the year and Press at least wants to go to Angel City next Jan. James was first rumoured in Feb as well and just makes sense with her brother at Chelsea. All the incoming's so far are very 'Casey' signings, the only player thats not yet signed but has been linked and isn't a 'Casey' player is Kyah Simon. If that happens I'd assume thats a Skinner signing.

Now all that said do I think the club could do more? Definitely. They need to get the Carrington expansion sorted asap. I'd also like to see at least one forward signing who's just better than what's already there, there are options in the Swedish/Norwegian leagues. I also think they need to expand the staff on the womens side. Looking in it seems like Casey was doing 3 roles - coach/GM/DOF. I think half the issues this summer have come from the fact she was like a single point of failure. So they need at least a GM specific for the womens side and ideally someone doing a DoF role for them as well to help with recruitment. Skinner seems to be bringing his own Assistant at least, he's got a Sports Science background so I'd like to see him and Martin Ho both having Assistant roles and therefore an expanded coaching team. Basically get them properly into an expanded Carrington and expanded the staff they have.

Grande

I think there's a current gap between City/Chelsea and Arsenal. Arsenal are potentially at a crossroads (Viv's contract expires next summer), their recruitment has been okay, but nothing amazing. Everton seem to be the club doing the best recruitment so far and they'll be the team to watch for. I don't think this recruitments gets any closer to top 2, it's more consolidation of the current position. Although I do think that with the Defense/Midfield signings the team is better than last season. It's the forward line thats lite imo.

All of the transfers in and out so far were going to happen if Casey had stayed. McManus they tried to sell in January (according to Emma Sanders from BBC). Amy Turner's fiancee's NWSL move was announced in Jan and it was speculated she'd go at the same time. Press/Heath would have been great to stay, but it's clear they only wanted the year and Press at least wants to go to Angel City next Jan. James was first rumoured in Feb as well and just makes sense with her brother at Chelsea. All the incoming's so far are very 'Casey' signings, the only player thats not yet signed but has been linked and isn't a 'Casey' player is Kyah Simon. If that happens I'd assume thats a Skinner signing.

Now all that said do I think the club could do more? Definitely. They need to get the Carrington expansion sorted asap. I'd also like to see at least one forward signing who's just better than what's already there, there are options in the Swedish/Norwegian leagues. I also think they need to expand the staff on the womens side. Looking in it seems like Casey was doing 3 roles - coach/GM/DOF. I think half the issues this summer have come from the fact she was like a single point of failure. So they need at least a GM specific for the womens side and ideally someone doing a DoF role for them as well to help with recruitment. Skinner seems to be bringing his own Assistant at least, he's got a Sports Science background so I'd like to see him and Martin Ho both having Assistant roles and therefore an expanded coaching team. Basically get them properly into an expanded Carrington and expanded the staff they have.
Thanks for elaborated background, and I see the point you’re making about the ins/outs being regardless of Stoney’s exit.

I guess it feels a bit like after Fergie, and that treading the water isnot going to be gould enough. I hopewe get someone in at forward position, as Russo and Toone are both young and few for a full campaign.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
She's on her way to Spurs. She's scored some good goals for us but mostly as a sub rather than a starter, so not a surprise to see her leave.

Good luck to her - though not when she plays United of course :smirk:

Demon Barber

She's on her way to Spurs. She's scored some good goals for us but mostly as a sub rather than a starter, so not a surprise to see her leave.

Good luck to her - though not when she plays United of course :smirk:
I like Martha and it a shame to see her depart, but I am sure it is the best thing for her. She will presumably get game time due to Beth England's injury - I hope she makes the most of it, including putting 4 past Chelsea!