Matty James

Decotron

Hes ready to step up from the academy anyway. Hes been outstanding in every match that ive seen this season. He big, imposing with a great engine and no shortage of skill either, seems to have leadership qualities aswell. The reserves beckon.........

68-99-08

Bit slow though. Could turn out to be a Tom Huddlestone-type player with more authority and less technical ability.

ANWAR

Bit slow though. Could turn out to be a Tom Huddlestone-type player with more authority and less technical ability.
Actually james has excellent technical ability, he has an excellent engine on him and always makes great runs, he could turn out to be pretty decent.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Great attitude, good engine, good skills. Him, and maybe Macheda, look the best bets to make it at United out of the Acadamey crop IMHO.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It seems like several of our talents are a bit "heavy" and slow.

If Gibson - for instance - had been a bit faster he would have had a great chance of making it.

Lot 49

Doom
He rocks in academy matches and I agree with charleysurf that his attitude is great, he's a brilliant team player who ain't afraid to take individual responsibility for situations when it's needed.

Long, long way to go though.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
He has plenty of technical ability......one of his strengths is that he can do the technical stuff without blinking but can also mix it when necessary.

A good balance to have!

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
It seems like several of our talents are a bit "heavy" and slow.

If Gibson - for instance - had been a bit faster he would have had a great chance of making it.
Gibson came back this season well overweight. Really hard to believe when this is make-or-break season for him at United. I think he's just lost his motivation. I've heard the theory that he's suffered from depression since his cousin died in a car crash, but that's probably just rubbish amateur psychology.
James gives the impression of being a stronger character. But's he's barely played in the reserves yet so it's too soon to judge.

032Devil

Season 2010/11 loan to Preston N.E.

From MEN:

Manchester United youngster Matty James has returned to Preston North End for a season-long loan.

The 20-year-old midfielder was at Deepdale for the second half of last term, playing 19 times and scoring twice.

Now Sir Alex Ferguson’s son Darren, the North End boss, has taken him back to the Championship club.

James is delighted to get the chance of regular first-team football to boost his soccer education.

“I’m very excited to come back. It got sorted at the end of last season, finalised over the summer period and it is a great club to be at,” said the Bacup-born player.

"I enjoyed my time at Preston last year and I hope that I can improve on that this year.

“Last year I was playing and I was like a little kid really. I’ve already had 19 games in the Championship, so this year I'll go out and know what to expect. I have set myself the target of scoring more goals and I want to have that 100 per cent work ethic every game.”

James is among a number of United reserves who will be considered for loan deals away from Old Trafford.

Mancunian striker Danny Welbeck was at Preston last term before injury forced him home early. The arrival of Mexican World Cup star Javier Hernandez could block his progress and experience elsewhere is an option.

The Reds are understood to prefer a deal with a Premier League side – a choice they are said to favour for Tom Cleverley, who has signed a new three-year deal at Old Trafford. The midfielder has attracted interest from Newcastle and Blackpool.

Meanwhile, United have rewarded Academy scholars Conor Devlin (goalkeeper) and striker John Cofie with professional contracts and signed 18-year-old Belgian defender Marnick Vermijl.

lysglimt

Scout
From MEN:

Manchester United youngster Matty James has returned to Preston North End for a season-long loan.

The 20-year-old midfielder was at Deepdale for the second half of last term, playing 19 times and scoring twice.

Now Sir Alex Ferguson’s son Darren, the North End boss, has taken him back to the Championship club.

James is delighted to get the chance of regular first-team football to boost his soccer education.

“I’m very excited to come back. It got sorted at the end of last season, finalised over the summer period and it is a great club to be at,” said the Bacup-born player.

"I enjoyed my time at Preston last year and I hope that I can improve on that this year.

“Last year I was playing and I was like a little kid really. I’ve already had 19 games in the Championship, so this year I'll go out and know what to expect. I have set myself the target of scoring more goals and I want to have that 100 per cent work ethic every game.”

James is among a number of United reserves who will be considered for loan deals away from Old Trafford.

Mancunian striker Danny Welbeck was at Preston last term before injury forced him home early. The arrival of Mexican World Cup star Javier Hernandez could block his progress and experience elsewhere is an option.

The Reds are understood to prefer a deal with a Premier League side – a choice they are said to favour for Tom Cleverley, who has signed a new three-year deal at Old Trafford. The midfielder has attracted interest from Newcastle and Blackpool.

Meanwhile, United have rewarded Academy scholars Conor Devlin (goalkeeper) and striker John Cofie with professional contracts and signed 18-year-old Belgian defender Marnick Vermijl.
How can they write that James i 20 y.o - he turns 19 a few weeks from now

Minkaro

Scored for PNE in their friendly tonight.

"Fantastic strike for North End. Matty James from the edge of the box, dummies to shoot with his right boot, takes it beyond the attempted block before curling a powerful effort with his left boot into the top corner."

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm sure there must be a longer James thread around, but this was on the first page so I may as well post it here.

Was just looking around BBC, saw that Steve Claridge has rated Matt as one of his 7 players to watch in the championship this year - BBC Sport - Football - Steve Claridge's Championship magnificent seven - not exactly earth shattering stuff or an in depth appraisal, but it's nice to see Matt getting some recognition and exposure. Cleverley's shown that an excellent season in the championship can get you a squad place, we can only hope Matt can do the same.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Whereabouts is he? Didn't see him listed for the reserve game last night. Injured? Off again on loan?

Have high hopes for the lad, always looked quality when I've seen him.

cj_sparky

He was doing light training a few weeks back away from the group with Park and Ajose. Same time Hargreaves was back training with the reserves.

rocks13

Seems to be a bit of a forgotten man with all the excitement about Tunnicliffe, Pogba and Morrison but how do people rate his prospects for this season.

He's still only 19 and has had a decent loan spell at Preston so could he step up to the first team this year possibly as a replacement for Gibson if he leaves.

MPTutd

Doubt he will make it at United, but he should have a good career. Expect he will be in the reserves for the first half of the season to prove his fitness, and get loaned out later.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
James, Petrucci, Pogba, Morrison, Brady, Tunnicliffe...etc . I mean the competitions very strong. Is he better then the others? It's not impossible but he'll have to work very hard.

Brophs

The One and Only
Before last night when was the last time he played? He looked a decent prospect in his time on loan, he'll probably do well at Championship level given a chance.

The Neviller

Good to see him back. Always liked this kid when I saw him, and would have initially rated him a better prospect than Tunnicliffe before the injury. Hope he can recover from it properly and get his career back on track.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I know someone who supports Preston North End and they were telling me that Fergie recalled James and King after PNE sacked his son as their manager. SAF told the paper that they both wanted to return as they were only there to work under Darren, but a week later Matty James did an interview with them and said that it wasn't true, that he was enjoying his time there and didn't even want to leave.

Obviously this infuriated SAF and we barely saw him since his return. I think the only reason we are now seeing him is because Morrison left and Pogba stepped up and we are short of midfielders.

championo

Top Stalker
I know someone who supports Preston North End and they were telling me that Fergie recalled James and King after PNE sacked his son as their manager. SAF told the paper that they both wanted to return as they were only there to work under Darren, but a week later Matty James did an interview with them and said that it wasn't true, that he was enjoying his time there and didn't even want to leave.

Obviously this infuriated SAF and we barely saw him since his return. I think the only reason we are now seeing him is because Morrison left and Pogba stepped up and we are short of midfielders.
This is dangerous grounds my friend. Sound too wicked for my taste. If you don't have proof, delete such an aspersion on SAF.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Preston fans got very annoyed at Fergie at around that time from memory, and that is a very one-sided interpretation of what was said afterwards.

He's been injured for a long time, Fergie isn't going to purposefully ruin a young players development like that out of spite. If someone annoys him that much, he'll sell them on.

prateik

He was out with a knee injury iirc.
And he was on loan at Preston till the end of Dec/early Jan. I think we recalled him 3-4 days before his loan was going to expire.
No conspiracy here.

prateik

Preston werent paying any wages during the loan spell. The only reason they got the players was because they had Fergie Jr.
Officially, manager assures parent club about the role kids have during the loan spell, manager gets sacked, agreement changes, club recalls players.

Unofficially, get players on a free calling in a favor and then sack the manager.. lose the players.

Preston got what they deserved.

Fergie jr had no money and had to sell/loan out all their high wage earners. Impossible job.
Brown took over and had a worse record than Fergie jr.

PS18

Your acquaintance is, to put it politely, talking absolute bollocks.

cj_sparky

Great to see Matty back training.

Shame for McGinty's loan spell to end due dislocating his shoulder though.