Michael Olise | Joins Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make that potentially 2, as somebody posted a report here from The Atletic that we've made an 11th-hour bid for Tosin.

Wasn't fussed about Tosin but would be annoyed about this one, makes it more complicated as managerial situation and need to sell Sancho/Greenwood to fund it too

We won't drop £60m for another winger when we already have Rashford, Garnacho, Amad, Antony and Sancho on the books. Even if we loan out/ sell Sancho next season we won't replace him with Olise.

Sancho + Amad or Antony out = another winger.

Why would we assume 2 must go for 1 to arrive?

One target we’ve lost out to. Chelsea and many other clubs are a lot lot quicker than us when signing players. We have to discuss about 1million things before signing someone.

If only the whole ETH review ended soon. Im leaning more towards keeping ETH (not because he is amazing but because a lack of good other options) but i would like INEOS to sack him and hire a new manager if that is their plan.

It would be a lot easier to go for a player when you actually know who the manager will be next year. Easier for the club and also for the player.

Sancho having to be sold so Olise can be bought is actually so annoying. Sancho has the talent to be just as good or even better than Olise.

Just doesn't have the raw pace / acceleration which limits Sancho's ceiling quite a bit. He's basically Mata, sure he could be good on his day when the tippy tappy football comes off but Olise is much better suited to the PL.

Just doesn't have the raw pace / acceleration which limits Sancho's ceiling quite a bit. He's basically Mata, sure he could be good on his day when the tippy tappy football comes off but Olise is much better suited to the PL.

That’s why I’ve always said Sancho should be a 10 and why we didn’t ever need to waste £50 million on Mount, that £50 million would have gone a long way towards a world class centre back or defensive midfielder.

Problem with Sancho isn't even physical. It's the complete lack of aggression or directness in anything he does. He's talented enough technically that he could in theory play a number of different roles in a team even if he'll never be a blazing winger. But he refuses to ever try anything remotely risky or creative on the ball, and off the ball he hates getting stuck in/pressing/any sort of "dirty work" that many others will do.

Basically if you had Sancho and gave him Bruno's attitude and approach to the game you'd have a world class player most likely because his natural on ball ability is top class. Instead you get a lazy/passive playmaker that too often is just happy to let the game pass him by while just playing a few neat passes.

Mata had a brilliant brain, Sancho doesn’t have a brain.

That’s why I’ve always said Sancho should be a 10 and why we didn’t ever need to waste £50 million on Mount, that £50 million would have gone a long way towards a world class centre back or defensive midfielder.

The Mount injury situation was unfortunate but the thinking at the time was: We want an #8 who can carry the ball up the pitch, counter press well and get back and defend on transition. We put Eriksen in that #8 role and sure he progressed the ball through passing more than running but it was clear that Ten Hag wanted a runner. He kept saying if we didn't sign FdJ for instance, we'll replace his skillset by using players already in the squad. The whole Zidane Iqbal situation in the friendlies when Ten Hag first joined was a preview of that. Mainoo was still something of an unknown quantity and I don't think we planned to rely on him as much as we actually did.

Anyway, I don't think Sancho would have done well if we put him straight into that Eriksen role but there was probably some tweaking that was possible to get him through the middle

The Mount injury situation was unfortunate but the thinking at the time was: We want an #8 who can carry the ball up the pitch, counter press well and get back and defend on transition. We put Eriksen in that #8 role and sure he progressed the ball through passing more than running but it was clear that Ten Hag wanted a runner. He kept saying if we didn't sign FdJ for instance, we'll replace his skillset by using players already in the squad. The whole Zidane Iqbal situation in the friendlies when Ten Hag first joined was a preview of that. Mainoo was still something of an unknown quantity and I don't think we planned to rely on him as much as we actually did.

Anyway, I don't think Sancho would have done well if we put him straight into that Eriksen role but there was probably some tweaking that was possible to get him through the middle

I’m not talking about playing Sancho where Eriksen did as Eriksen played effectively the role that Mainoo does now whilst Mount was signed to play two attacking midfielders alongside Fernandes with a sole defensive midfielder which was Casemiro when ETH wanted to play a 4-1-2-3 that transitioned into a back 5 and front 5 otherwise known as suicide and why we were overrun in midfield.

Where we’ve played our best and most consistent football was with a 4-2-3-1 whether it was Jose, Ole or ETH and I’ve always thought that Sancho would work as a 10 so an alternative to Fernandes but with the ability to drift out wide.

That’s why Mount was a pointless signing as it was an experiment used for a few games and then abandoned due to it clearly not working and Mount getting injured as well as Mainoo returning from injury was a blessing tactically, the Mount money should have gone on a centre back or defensive midfielder.

Well we finally know who is our manager for next season we should go and get him. Yes I know it's maybe 5th priority behind DM,RCB,ST & LB/LCB, however those other positions we haven't got direct competition for those targets.

Well we finally know who is our manager for next season we should go and get him. Yes I know it's maybe 5th priority behind DM,RCB,ST & LB/LCB, however those other positions we haven't got direct competition for those targets.
I agree. Should sign Olise before Chelsea do. And be confident that we’re selling Greenwood and Sancho so we’ll make most of that back. The other positions like you said we haven’t got competition for.

I agree. Should sign Olise before Chelsea do. And be confident that we’re selling Greenwood and Sancho so we’ll make most of that back. The other positions like you said we haven’t got competition for.

Antony too ideally

We just finished 8th, you want to lower your standards son

All the players listed play for teams that finished lower than us. We'll get torn a new one for any of them. I just don't see the point chasing those listed.

We wouldn't finish close to 8th with those players in the team, Ivan Toneys goals alone would bump us back up to top 4-6ish position.

We wouldn't finish close to 8th with those players in the team, Ivan Toneys goals alone would bump us back up to top 4-6ish position.

Just having a fit team will bump us to 6th nevermind Toney.

Really ?

Have you looked at his premier League goals record ? 25 from 85 , 36 from 85 if you include pens . Which he is unlikely to take here .

25 from 85 is less than 1 in 3 . For perspective , hojlund got 10 in 30 in his first season with next to no service . A better average . He's also statistically one of the more clinical strikers.

Just having a fit team will bump us to 6th nevermind Toney.

Know he divides opinion but still say he would relish playing in that Utd shirt given the opportunity. I will admit I'm not sure that you juggle keeping him and Rasmus happy though.

If he's stupid enough to go Chelsea when they have 50 RW's then so be it :lol:

If he's stupid enough to go Chelsea when they have 50 RW's then so be it :lol:

We have 2 right now, and one of them is Palmer who plays centrally too, so my guess is Olise would be in direct competition with Madueke only.

The thought of us not signing a DM seems as ridiculous to me as selling Martinez and not replacing him. Or selling hojlund and not buying a striker. It's that glaringly obvious of a problem

We have 2 right now, and one of them is Palmer who plays centrally too, so my guess is Olise would be in direct competition with Madueke only.
Palmer played a tonne on the right, even if he can play centrally. You've also got Paez and Estevao coming in, makes 0 sense to splash another £60m on Olise but nothing about Chelsea's recruitment makes sense to me. I find it short-sighted from both the club and player, but hey-ho it's not my career.

Where do you see Palmer's position being? Does Maresca tend to play with a number 10, or will he favour Palmer from the right?

Status
Not open for further replies.