Other Modem Routers

Pscholes18

This is for us yanks. Anyone use Comcast Xfinity with their own modem/router combo? Looking for a good combo device that's reliable with xfinity. However I don't want to spend over $250.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yes, absolutely. I typically use the Xfinity gateway as the primary router and have a quality router as the wireless access point, turning off the wifi radio in the Xfinity gateway. A great router for your price point would be the ASUS ac5300.

Alternatively, you can switch the gateway to bridge mode and have the router (ASUS or comparable) manage all your traffic. This is a more flexible option with more advanced settings available. Only reason I don’t always go with it is because I’ve had some issues the Xfinity gateways reliably staying in bridge mode.

Either way you’re set. I’m currently running an Xfinity gigabit connection with a netgear nighthawk ax11000 as my set up. It’s a beast but about double what you want to spend. The afore mentioned ac5300 will give you all you need. Range, speed, and advanced settings for media streaming and gaming. 1 x 2.4ghz channel, 2 x 5ghz channels.

If you want to go for wifi 6, then just look at the ASUS AX range, as opposed to AC. There’ll be one in your price range. The ASUS UI is great. The netgear AX11000 I have is potent, and about the best AX router on the market, but not necessary for 99% of applications. The ASUS AX5700 is $249.99 on Amazon and probably everything you are looking for in wifi 6. The slightly older AC models I mentioned before can probably get you more router for the money, but on an older platform. The mentioned routers are linked below, but there are loads of other options out there. I just happen to find these among the best depending on budget/needs.

Either way, I highly recommend a high performance router, either as an AP or with the gateway (modem) in bridge mode. You’ll be able to stream multiple UHD sources of media content, game and surge the net simultaneously, without issue, providing you have the bandwidth, and not have any range issues.

Don’t listen to Adexkola. That’s a Mickey Mouse set up for amateurs. Also get yourself gigabit internet from Comcast. Mine is $70 a month.

Nighthawk (RAX200) AX11000 - $549
ASUS AX5700 (wifi 6) - $249
ASUS AC5300 - $220

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Separate everything into dedicated modem, router and access point. Takes a bit of work and money but you're sorted for a while.