NBA Playoffs 2003

beatlemanu

Will it be the dreaded BOREpeat, or will someone finally beat the Lakers??? Who will win this year, and who would you like to win???

Vinay

Muppet in Training
<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/matchups" target="_blank">The current match ups, as they stand today:</a>

In the west (in bold, my winners for the match-ups):

San Antonio Spurs v/s Phoenix Suns

As much as San Antonio have been dominant this season, the one team against which they have a losing record in Phoenix. So, it will be interesting to see how the play off stage brings a different Spurs against the Suns. I personally believe that San Antonio will surely figure in the final of the Wester conference Championship game from a bracket of these two along with the Timberwolves and the Lakers. San Antonio have a tremendous team led supremely by Tim Duncan and the ever maturing Tony Parker, who is quite the fastest point guard in the league. And the supporting caste is rather good with Malik Rose, Man Utd Ginobili, David Robinson etc. Watch out for the Spurs. For many they are the team to beat in the Western conference. They are the only ones to have swept the Lakers this season!

Spurs: 4-2.

Sacramento Kings v/s Utah Jazz

I am picking the Kings to sweep the Jazz in this series. The Kings look really formidable. Strength in depth at all positions. They have a really enviable Power Forward/Center combination with Chris Webber, Keon Clark (one of the wisest signings in the off-season), Vlade Divac and Scott Pollard. It gives the Kings a lot of ammunition to cope with possible match up guys in the semis, the Lakers and their dominant forward Shaq. I think the Kings also have the strongest back court in the whole league. What with Mike Bibby, Doug Christie (arguably the most focused and talented defender in the league), Bobby Jackson (one of the top best sixth man contenders yet again!), Jim Jackson, Damon Jones and Mattean Cleaves (a raw, but exciting talent). No one even comes close to matching this talent in the league. I do pick the Kings to face the Spurs in the Western conference Final game and to win it too. This is going to be the year of the Kings from Sacramento. Been long due for these guys.

Kings: 4-0

Dallas Mavericks v/s Portland Trailblazers

A keenly disputed series, I believe... Hard to pick a winner here. Both supremely talented teams. However, each team as unpredictable as the other. It is absolutely impossible to say which one would be a sure shot pick here. It would be down to which team would pick itself together. Should be a streaky series, with each team getting its own time. Should go to a seventh game, in my opinion in what will be a thoroughly entertaining series.

Mavericks: 4-3 (edge out narrowly)

Minnesota Timberwolves v/s Los Angeles Lakers

I think the Lakers do have their best in the play-offs. But, I think that for playing the Timberwolves so many times in a row in the play-offs, some time or the other will be the time of Kevin Garnett. And I choose this time to be that time for who is my MVP of the league. I would love to see that guy get something over the Lakers. He, for one, deserves it. And I hope that Sczerbiak can support Garnett ably.

Wolves: 4-2

Semi Finals

San Antonio Spurs v/s Minnesotta Timberwolves

I feel sorry for Garnett for him not having the same cast as Timmy Duncan has. Will prove the deciding factor in a match up the best two Power Forwards in the league, although I rate Garnett as slightly better than Duncan.

Spurs: 4-2

Sacramento Kings v/s Dallas Mavericks

Dallas won't be good enough for the thoroughbreds that the Kings are.

Kings: 4-1

Finals

San Antonio Spurs v/s Sacramento Kings

Hotly disputed series this one. But, expect the Kings' flamboyant style to be too hot to handle for the Spurs.

Kings: 4-2

In the east (match up winners in bold)

Detroit Pistons v/s Orlando Magic

Who to pick here? Tracy McGrady is a one man army. He is quite simply one of the top three best players in the league and not half as cocky or lucky as Kobe Bryant. But, Detroit boasts of a certain Ben Wallace, a really formidable defensive talent. And Rick Hamilton does provide that flair going forward. McGrady will keep his team in this one! But, I guess the Pistons will make home court count in this one!

Pistons: 4-3

New Jersey Nets v/s Milwaukee Bucks

I will pick an upset here. Gary Payton will put one over the other great point guard of the league, Jason Kidd. I think the Nets have found it tough going this year. They have not dominated the East half as much as they had dominated last season. I think the Bucks are moving into gear and might just be able to take this one in a seventh decider.

Bucks: 4-3

Philadelphia 76ers v/s Boston Celtics

I have to prefer the Sixers here. Allen Iversen has been having a great season. And I think they will be so much more hungry than the Celtics, in view of Iversen.

Sixers: 4-2

Indiana Pacers v/s New Orleans Hornets

Difficult match up this one. On one hand, Baron Davis and Jamaal Mashburn make a formidable back court. On the other hand, the Pacers have one of the best Power Forwards/Center in Jermaine O'Neal and quite a supporting caste too. Tight one this one, I would feel. Can't really decide clearly. But I would maybe go for the Hornets. They missed Mashburn last year and I expect him to be man of the series here.

Hornets: 4-3.

Semi Finals

Detroit Pistons v/s Orleans Hornets

I have this feeling that the Hornets are the team to beat in the East. And even the Pistons will not prevent them from washing away last year's disappointment.

Hornets: 4-2

Philadelphia 76ers v/s Milwaukee Bucks

Payton to have a chance of final big go at the play-offs...

Bucks: 4-2

Finals

New Orleans Hornets v/s Milwaukee Bucks

Jamaal Mashburn will carry his team through this one.

NBA Finals

Sacramento Kings v/s New Orleans Hornets

There is not much of an issue here. The winner from the West will be crowned. The only issue is how many games do they concede? I will give the Kings to be good enough to only just allow the Hornets not to be swept!

Kings: 4-1

This is going to be the year of the Kings! No Shaq or Kobe is going to stand in their way this time round! The Kings to be crowned real KINGS

beatlemanu

New Orleans in the Finals... well, it's like taking lambs to the slaughter with any team from the east. I don't particularly like the Queens, but I hate the Lakers more than any other team, so I really don't care who takes them out. Ideally I want the Celtics to take it all the way, but i'm not sure if they have the depth, and I don't think they are as good as they were last year. I just have one basketball wish for this year.

BEAT THE F'ing LAKERS!!!!

beatlemanu

Originally posted by sidsutton:
<strong>LA will sweep Dallas if they meet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably, hopefully not though. I don't know what it is with Dallas. They just can't win in L.A., and most of the time they lose at home to. Oh well, maybe in a few years, when they learn how to play a little defense they'll win a championship...

Vinay

Muppet in Training
I just hope that the Lakers get to play Portland instead of the Mavericks in the first round of the playoffs. This can still happen if Portland win, the Lakers win and Minnesota lose today on the last day.

The Blazers would beat the Lakers around a little and Pippen being back for them would be great!

I think Minnesota will stand a very good chance against the Mavericks too and set up a mouth watering tie with between Webber and Garnett in the semis...

The final situation will be known tonight PST (Pacific Standard Time).

Jens

First Round

East

Detroit v Orlando
New Jersey v Milwaukee
Indiana v Boston
Philadelphia v New Orleans

West

San Antonio v Phoenix
Sacramento v Utah
Dallas v Portland
Minnesota v LA Lakers