Television New TV series: The Watch - NOT GoT related!!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
OK, I apologise for luring you in on GoT pretences but I just noticed BBC2 online had done an 8 episode series on Terry Pratchett's, The Watch.

I've just watched the first episode and all the usual characters are there, Sam Vimes, Detritus, Angua, Ironfoundersson, etc. BBC tried to retro punk Ankh Morpork out a bit so I have mixed feelings on the first ep. But as I love TP I will watch to the end.

I loved Sky's adaptations of the Hogfather and The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Have very low expectations of this given how far it's veered from the source material so I'll be relying entirely upon your weekly reviews to make a decision on whether to watch. No pressure.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thread title updated. If I get called a bastard one more time I'm going to jump off the Wall like I wish the other bastard Jon Snow had in the first series.
How big is the wall?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Have very low expectations of this given how far it's veered from the source material so I'll be relying entirely upon your weekly reviews to make a decision on whether to watch. No pressure.
Just watched the second episode (struggling for time to binge watch, plus I'm trying to savour it) and it was much better than the opener. A few subtle TP like humorous in-jokes that you can imagine he would think up and the scenery is beginning to look less like an '80s council estate thankfully.

The storyline seems to be following the book Dragon, Dragon! Which was the first proper introduction of the Watch in TP's universe.

lsd

The Oracle
It seems to have very little to do with the books other than characters names

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Is that an in-joke, or did you mean Guards! Guards! ?
Oops, sorry. I thought it didn't sound right. No unfortunately I'm not clever enough for in jokes. :(

'Dragon, Dragon' kept popping into my head because of the first Discworld video game featuring Rincewind where they would chant that.

DanH

Oops, sorry. I thought it didn't sound right. No unfortunately I'm not clever enough for in jokes. :(

'Dragon, Dragon' kept popping into my head because of the first Discworld video game featuring Rincewind where they would chant that.
Hah, fair enough! I had a moment of doubting my memories :)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
OK, I apologise for luring you in on GoT pretences but I just noticed BBC2 online had done an 8 episode series on Terry Pratchett's, The Watch.

I've just watched the first episode and all the usual characters are there, Sam Vimes, Detritus, Angua, Ironfoundersson, etc. BBC tried to retro punk Ankh Morpork out a bit so I have mixed feelings on the first ep. But as I love TP I will watch to the end.

I loved Sky's adaptations of the Hogfather and The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic.
I think I liked Going Postal the most of the Sky adaptations.

In the case of this, I know a lot of people were put off in advance by the changes to the source material (including the likes of Pratchett's daughter and Neil Gaiman) but I'm less bothered by drastic re-interpretations (which I kinda like from adaptations of things) than the very mixed reviews it seems to have got thus far.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I think I liked Going Postal the most of the Sky adaptations.

In the case of this, I know a lot of people were put off in advance by the changes to the source material (including the likes of Pratchett's daughter and Neil Gaiman) but I'm less bothered by drastic re-interpretations (which I kinda like from adaptations of things) than the very mixed reviews it seems to have got thus far.
I forgot about Going Postal. That was also very well done. This BBC version of Guards, Guards is definitely reinterpreted in the director's vision but with no alternate Discworld adaptations out there I'm enjoying it for what it is.

It's not the worst thing on TV.