g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

NFL 2024 | Schedule Release

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Packers signing Jacobs and releasing Jones is certainly.. a move.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My Atlanta fan friends are believing the 'NFC South First Place Due to Kirk Cousins' predictions a little too much.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So that clarifies part of the draft, the Falcons not taking a QB, but if the JJMc hype is real then 5-12 gets spicy and riddled with potential trade options.

Teams will think they could trade back and still get the* #1 DE, OT, CB, or one of Nabers or Rome. *edit: their #1; not sure there’s a consensus except maybe at CB

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
So that clarifies part of the draft, the Falcons not taking a QB, but if the JJMc hype is real then 5-12 gets spicy and riddled with potential trade options.

Teams will think they could trade back and still get the* #1 DE, OT, CB, or one of Nabers or Rome. *edit: their #1; not sure there’s a consensus except maybe at CB
Broncos, Vikings will want to look at trading up yeah, but those trade partners will know it’s only for JJ McCarthy assuming Caleb, Maye, Daniels will be gone in the top 5.

The fact that ‘25 looks like an average QB class so far only adds to the intrigue.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Falcons better hope Kirk holds up and doesn't get crocked gain.

I fecking hate the Eagles but at least they're going all in again whereas Jerry is gonna further feck his chances when he inevitably commits 20-25% of his cap to extending a QB who folds under pressure every January. Then there are decisions to be made on Lamb and Parsons who will cost 60m+ annually combined. That's potentially ~50% of the cap each year to three players.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

I fecking hate the Eagles but at least they're going all in again whereas Jerry is gonna further feck his chances when he inevitably commits 20-25% of his cap to extending a QB who folds under pressure every January. Then there are decisions to be made on Lamb and Parsons who will cost 60m+ annually combined. That's potentially ~50% of the cap each year to three players.
I’m struggling to see how that’s gonna work unless you somehow hit massively all down the board in the draft.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Who do Minnesota turn to with Cousins out? Stick with the crap they had post-Cousins injury? Move up in draft or hope a QB lands to them in current spot or perhaps second round?
They have picks 1-11, 2-42, no 3, 4-107, 4-128, 5-156, 5-166, 6-176, 6-187, 7-230,

What other QBs are on the market including trade options? Would Chicago dare trade Fields within the division, if Minnesota were interested?

I probably would consider trading Fields to a division rival as the GM but would slap conditional picks based on his offensive snap percentage along with Minnesota's win-loss marks for the next 3-4 seasons if Fields is still starting for them. Like say give us a 2024 5th and a 2025 5th rd that can upgrade based on factors met, like Fields taking 75% of offensive snaps upgrades to 3rd, and Minnesota making the playoffs in 2024 upgrades to 2nd, and a Super Bowl appearance upgrades to 1st. And hold these conditions through say 2027 if Fields is still there (don't think a team would commit to more than two seasons of conditional picks but ask anyways).

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

Eagles have got a hell of a lot to do to shore up their issues. Upgrading on Swift at RB would have been way down my priorities list if I were their GM.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Who do Minnesota turn to with Cousins out? Stick with the crap they had post-Cousins injury? Move up in draft or hope a QB lands to them in current spot or perhaps second round?
They have picks 1-11, 2-42, no 3, 4-107, 4-128, 5-156, 5-166, 6-176, 6-187, 7-230,

What other QBs are on the market including trade options? Would Chicago dare trade Fields within the division, if Minnesota were interested?

I probably would consider trading Fields to a division rival as the GM but would slap conditional picks based on his offensive snap percentage along with Minnesota's win-loss marks for the next 3-4 seasons if Fields is still starting for them. Like say give us a 2024 5th and a 2025 5th rd that can upgrade based on factors met, like Fields taking 75% of offensive snaps upgrades to 3rd, and Minnesota making the playoffs in 2024 upgrades to 2nd, and a Super Bowl appearance upgrades to 1st. And hold these conditions through say 2027 if Fields is still there (don't think a team would commit to more than two seasons of conditional picks but ask anyways).
The latest mock draft I read in the Athletic has them trading up to 7 to get JJ McCarthy. Genuinely insane if that happens.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The latest mock draft I read in the Athletic has them trading up to 7 to get JJ McCarthy. Genuinely insane if that happens.
I wouldn’t classify it genuinely insane, especially after the Zac Wilson/Trey Lance draft. Just mildly insane.

And it actually might not be enough to get him; I wouldn’t be surprised if Harbaugh wants to start his team build at LAC in the trenches and thinks the top few OTs are in the same tier and thus that spot becomes a trade target for a QB (or maybe a WR).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I would have liked Fields but his contract situation is less than ideal, the Vikings went with Darnold which I also like, he was decent for Carolina before his injury and was also decent for the 49ers in preseason. And he is relatively cheap. Otherwise the rumour is that the Vikings are after McCarthy or Maye, if true they are likely trying to trade with the Chargers.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I would have liked Fields but his contract situation is less than ideal, the Vikings went with Darnold which I also like, he was decent for Carolina before his injury and was also decent for the 49ers in preseason. And he is relatively cheap. Otherwise the rumour is that the Vikings are after McCarthy or Maye, if true they are likely trying to trade with the Chargers.
You're signing up for mediocrity (at best) if you're going into the season with Sam Darnold as your QB. "Decent" to "fine" is probably the highet praise you can give him, he's a good back-up but nowhere near the required standard if a team wants to be classified as a contender.

Poor Jettas :(

JPRouve

Scout
You're signing up for mediocrity (at best) if you're going into the season with Sam Darnold as your QB. "Decent" to "fine" is probably the highet praise you can give him, he's a good back-up but nowhere near the required standard if a team wants to be classified as a contender.

Of course we are signing up for mediocrity, no one is expecting to be a contender next season. It's a rebuild year especially from a cap standpoint since the team has 48m in dead money.

GlasgowRedz

I don't think that Darnold is going to be the starting QB. I think the Vikings will be trading up as far as they possibly can and taking a QB, it will be interesting to see what the price is to get up to third for example.

If they are sold on JJ McCarthy then they'll likely not have to trade up that far. A trade with the Chargers would suit and he would be young enough for KOC to try and mould into the franchise QB that the Vikings are perennially looking for.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think that Darnold is going to be the starting QB. I think the Vikings will be trading up as far as they possibly can and taking a QB, it will be interesting to see what the price is to get up to third for example.

If they are sold on JJ McCarthy then they'll likely not have to trade up that far. A trade with the Chargers would suit and he would be young enough for KOC to try and mould into the franchise QB that the Vikings are perennially looking for.
Exactly. The point is to have a high potential rookie QB and in the case of Darnold a potentially high level bridge/back up QB. Also he is only 26, he is possibly not completely cooked.

In general I prefer that type of signing I wanted one of Lance, Zach Wilson or Darnold because they are young, started their careers in less than ideal situations and if they are bad, they are easily bench-able. Now all of that has to be followed by the draft of a QB seen as a franchise player.

GlasgowRedz

Exactly. The point is to have a high potential rookie QB and in the case of Darnold a potentially high level bridge/back up QB. Also he is only 26, he is possibly not completely cooked.

In general I prefer that type of signing I wanted one of Lance, Zach Wilson or Darnold because they are young, started their careers in less than ideal situations and if they are bad, they are easily bench-able. Now all of that has to be followed by the draft of a QB seen as a franchise player.
Yeah, if we had went for someone like Russell Wilson then there would have been a lot more pressure to play him regardless, even though he would have been on a team friendly deal.

Darnold is an easy choice as it's a cheap deal we're not tied into. If it doesnt work then we can look again this time next year but I'm reasonably confident that KOC will be able to get something out of him whilst the rookie QB (whoever it is) either sits for a year or shares game time this season.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Very unlikely they're going all the way up to #3 imo. Even if they "only" need to go to the Chargers' spot, it would cost a lot including (likely) a future 1st which will then only make the rebuild more difficult, not to mention that you're partially mortgaging your future on a prospect which is far from a sure thing. Still a shot that they should be making of course, but it will come at a hefty cost I'm afraid.

GlasgowRedz

Very unlikely they're going all the way up to #3 imo. Even if they "only" need to go to the Chargers' spot, it would cost a lot including (likely) a future 1st which will then only make the rebuild more difficult, not to mention that you're partially mortgaging your future on a prospect which is far from a sure thing. Still a shot that they should be making of course, but it will come at a hefty cost I'm afraid.
Yes, it is unlikely but it should be an option that they consider. They tried to trade up last year from 23 to get Richardson but couldn't get an agreement but it will be "easier" this year to do similar so there is clearly no fear from the organisation in taking that leap if they feel it's the right thing to do.

The Vikings are also on track to have a lot of cap space next year so even if this year is a bust and they don't have a first pick next year it's not necessarily a complete disaster. I still think they have a decent enough roster to be in the mix for a playoff.

Every team is faced with these decisions at one time or another.

One thing is for sure, moving on from Cousins was absolutely necessary. The money he wanted and the guarantees he was looking for were just not sustainable, 6 years, 2 playoffs made and 1 win. Better off taking that money and swinging for a QB in the draft knowing you may miss and spreading the money elsewhere.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Aaron Jones in a Vikings jersey is a real kick in the balls.

JPRouve

Scout
I didn't expect that. Now the team need to add a true run stuffing DT and a starting guard(or two). On paper a rookie QB would be in a great situation.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Every team is faced with these decisions at one time or another.
Yeah agreed, will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Some teams plan well (Packers being the prime example I guess) while other teams sign up for years of mediocrity (Raiders thinking Jimmy G was the answer at QB).

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Sure he'll enjoy watching Darnold missing 14 yard slant routes.
He stays if the Vikings pay him what he's after, and it will be resolved before the start of training camp most likely.

FYI his YPRR with Dobbs, Mullens and Hall was higher than it was with Cousins last season. He is QB proof.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He stays if the Vikings pay him what he's after, and it will be resolved before the start of training camp most likely.

FYI his YPRR with Dobbs, Mullens and Hall was higher than it was with Cousins last season. He is QB proof.
What about his TDs?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Really like that Huff deal for the Eagles. He will end up a leader on that defensive line that is going to need as much as it can get with Cox retiring.

Barkley is a ridiculous add.

Still a lot of cap space for them to play with as well. If they draft right then they will be right back in with a shot.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What about them? He wasn't the main TD target for Cousins.
The man wants to score TDs and break records - having some guy who see's ghosts attempting to kill him with poor throws isn't going to be enjoyable.

I had to suffer Darnold as a Jets fan, I don't wish it on the Vikings.

JPRouve

Scout
The man wants to score TDs and break records - having some guy who see's ghosts attempting to kill him with poor throws isn't going to be enjoyable.

I had to suffer Darnold as a Jets fan, I don't wish it on the Vikings.
Beyond the fact Darnold isn't supposed to be a long term solution and isn't even guaranteed to start this season, your experience with the Jets is meaningless. The Jets are/were a dumpster fire of a franchise that had started a rookie QB while providing no Oline, targets or running game.

The other thing regarding JJ is that you don't know what he wants or what his mindset is and if he is that desperate for records then he wouldn't be asking to be the highest paid non-QB in the league, you can't pay top dollar for a QB and also pay QB money for someone else. If he wants money(and he wants it) then his QB will be a reclamation projection or on a rookie contract.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I really don’t like the Packers throwing money at a running back, who averaged 3.5 yards per carry last year.