Niklas Süle \ signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

United Pro

Duncan Castles says that Sule has been recommended to Mourinho by United scouts. However, he does say that Lindelof is first choice. From the little I've seen of Sule, along with being very tall and strong, he's fairly comfortable on the ball and has a decent passing range. But due to his size, he looks to lack mobility and acceleration. Saying that, I believe Dortmund looked into buying him last summer as a Hummels replacement.

Here's the article I was referencing:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-target-benficas-victor-9377256

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Silly would compliment Rojo, Smalling and Jones well

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I signed him for Borussia Dortmund on FIFA Career Mode. The lad's developing into a decent player alright. What am I talking about. Really.

NYAS

I think he's an absolutely brilliant talent.

izec

I havent seen much from Lindelöf or Süle, i trust Jose and our scouts. I do like the fact that Lindelöf isnt as slow as Süle, but the other is more physical. Lets buy them both

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
If Castles is saying there must be something to it, haven't seen enough of him to make a judgment so maybe our resident Bundesliga followers can help us out @Balu @2ndTouch @VorZakone @Sphaero

At 6ft 5in he'll be our tallest defender and by some margin, will also add some much needed physical presence in our back line.

Lyricist

His name isn't pronounced like "silly" at all. It's more like "Zew-leh" or "Zew-lah".

He's definitely immensely talented. Strong, powerful physique. Good footballer for his size. Give him some more time though. He's still very young. He did manage to get his debut for Germany though.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Heard of him through games as a player with potential but never seen much on him, however when you consider our CB ages:

Bailly - 22
Smalling - 27
Jones - 24
Blind - 26

Average age is 24.75 and we are looking at 21 year old, I can't help but think we need someone experienced, typically the best CB's are between 28 and 32 IMO.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If Castles is saying there must be something to it, haven't seen enough of him to make a judgment so maybe our resident Bundesliga followers can help us out @Balu @2ndTouch @VorZakone @Sphaero

At 6ft 5in he'll be our tallest defender and by some margin, will also add some much needed physical presence in our back line.
At the moment I don't think he'll be any better than Rojo, Smalling, Bailly or Jones. Definitely a player to keep an eye on though.

Abizzz

Not good enough for united's ambitions (yet). Doubt he'll ever be.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I would rather have Sule, than Lindelof. That's largely derived from the fact, that if we were to take anybody from Benfica, I'd want that man to be Semedo.

Sule first caught my attention January 2015, as I stumbled across an article regarding the most impressive tackling rates, after monthly checking which players had the most impressive tackling rates in the top 5 European leagues via Squawka. I had seen his name sporadically on Squawka, but it was only then, when I started to take notice, as on the list, he was the front runner. http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/ed...who-is-the-best-tackler-in-europe-this-season

Hoffenheim isn't one of the teams outside the EPL that I watch. However, every time the Brazil National side play, I make an effort to watch them, the senior team that is, and the Olympic Final was the exception, a game in which Sule represented Germany in the final. He had a very good game.

Given Bailly isn't particularly convincing in the air, I feel its paramount that Bailly's partner is insurmountable in the air. And Sule is seemingly strong in this regard. Additionally, Bailly tends to step out of defence to dive into challenges to prevent attacks before they've even begun, and one thing I noticed from the Brazil game was that Sule was often the last man. In this way, they could compliment each other with Bailly being the aggressor, and Sule being the sweeper, and even more so, considering he statistically wins the vast majority of his tackles, which will prove to be imperative as in a 1v1 situation, there is little margin for error. Furthermore, Hoffenheim and therefore Sule is accustomed to playing in a back three, which could prove to be useful with way we play with A.Valencia (and possibly Semedo in the foreseeable future), who essentially dominates the entirety of the right flank. Much like Maicon for Inter where Zanetti, Samuel and Lucio would shift to a back three giving Maicon the license to maraud forward as a right midfielder. Perhaps we could adopt a similar strategy going forward, given Bailly also has experience playing in a back three, as he did in the AFCON final.

devilish

I have a feeling that we'll be adding 2 CBs and not 1

bucky

Don't think he's been that good since his ACL injury.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
An inch isn't that much of a margin. Teeing off an excellent penis joke here.

devilish

What makes you think that dev?
A top club has 4 reliable cbs.we currently have 2 (smalling and Bailly). Mou sees rojo and blind as lb while jones is open to debate (hes very mourinhesque but hes also injury prone)

Even if Mourinho thinks that he can keep jones fit he likes to play a converted cb on one rear flank (chivu, invanovic). So heres what i think. He will bring 2 cbs one of which can play as rb. That will give mou the peace of mind he needs to make sure that the cb role covered

Devil may care

A top club has 4 reliable cbs.we currently have 2 (smalling and Bailly). Mou sees rojo and blind as lb while jones is open to debate (hes very mourinhesque but hes also injury prone)

Even if Mourinho thinks that he can keep jones fit he likes to play a converted cb on one rear flank (chivu, invanovic). So heres what i think. He will bring 2 cbs one of which can play as rb. That will give mou the peace of mind he needs to make sure that the cb role covered
I'm not sure on the fullback side of things, I think Jose's priority with this team when it comes to FB's is for them to provide overlapping attacking width, but I think you could be right about the 2 CB's from the perspective of buying one in January and then seeing if Rojo has managed to keep up his good form and if Jones has managed to stay fit, then he'll make a call on the second CB buy in the summer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not overly impressed by that video. He looks a bit sluggish to me and a couple of those touches would have been absolutely destroyed by premier league attack.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
feck Lindelof, sign this guy and Weigl. I would be so fecking happy.

3KDré

Seems pretty big and decent on the ball. Aerially good and physically good.

But he seems a bit slow off the mark, somewhat delayed. Not entirely convinced, but everything other part about him is what we need. If Mourinho thinks he would be a good fit I trust his judgement.

Zoo

Lindelof seems a lot more likely and I'd be happy with that.

devilish

I'm not sure on the fullback side of things, I think Jose's priority with this team when it comes to FB's is for them to provide overlapping attacking width, but I think you could be right about the 2 CB's from the perspective of buying one in January and then seeing if Rojo has managed to keep up his good form and if Jones has managed to stay fit, then he'll make a call on the second CB buy in the summer.
Let me explain it a bit better

We currently have

Valencia---------Smalling----------Bailly--------------Shaw
Darmian----------Jones-------------Rojo--------------Blind

The ones in green are safe. The ones in blue are probably safe although Mou might have complained about their attitude, the one in orange has a decent chance of leaving and Darmian is a goner. Considering that

a- Mou has nearly always used a converted CB as FB (Gallas, Chivu, Ramos and Ivanovic) to add inches in the defense
b- he will need a RB next season.
c- He sees Rojo and Blind as LBs
d- he only have 1 CB he completely have faith in (talent, attitude etc) and he'll feck off to the Coppa Africa
e- Darmian is a goner. He'll probably get rid of him in January if possible.

Under such circumstances I can see Mou being tempted to bring a CB who can play as a RB. Lindelhof seem to fit the bill for the latter

a- He's mobile, technically gifted and he has experience as RB.
b- Lindelhof will add inches in defense, making our team less dependent on Fellaini. It also allow him to bring a slightly shorter CB whose not the typical 6ft3 defender (Gimenez?)
c- He and the new guy will also make the team less dependent to Smalling and Jones. If they have bubu and they want to stay in the treatment room, then Mou will probably open the door for them and tell them to stay there for good.
d-Playing as RB will give the Swede a smooth transition from the Portuguese league to the EPL
e- He's a complete different player from Valencia (whose an attacking FB)

Mou is a Southern European as I am and we tend to be very obsessed about having a solid defense that is dependable.We tend to be perfectionists on the damn thing. Smalling, Shaw and Jones might be as solid as Baresi (they are not) but unless they can remain fit and play well when they are needed then they are pretty useless for him. Hence why Mourinho had showed frustration in the defense when Smalling and Shaw refused to play because of injury. Rest assured that he'll take some solid action on that. What is not 100% certain is when.

Devil may care

Let me explain it a bit better

We currently have

Valencia---------Smalling----------Bailly--------------Shaw
Darmian----------Jones-------------Rojo--------------Blind

The ones in green are safe. The ones in blue are probably safe although Mou might have complained about their attitude, the one in orange has a decent chance of leaving and Darmian is a goner. Considering that

a- Mou has nearly always used a converted CB as FB (Gallas, Chivu, Ramos and Ivanovic) to add inches in the defense
b- he will need a RB next season.
c- He sees Rojo and Blind as LBs
d- he only have 1 CB he completely have faith in (talent, attitude etc) and he'll feck off to the Coppa Africa
e- Darmian is a goner. He'll probably get rid of him in January if possible.

Under such circumstances I can see Mou being tempted to bring a CB who can play as a RB. Lindelhof seem to fit the bill for the latter

a- He's mobile, technically gifted and he has experience as RB.
b- Lindelhof will add inches in defense, making our team less dependent on Fellaini. It also allow him to bring a slightly shorter CB whose not the typical 6ft3 defender (Gimenez?)
c- He and the new guy will also make the team less dependent to Smalling and Jones. If they have bubu and they want to stay in the treatment room, then Mou will probably open the door for them and tell them to stay there for good.
d-Playing as RB will give the Swede a smooth transition from the Portuguese league to the EPL
e- He's a complete different player from Valencia (whose an attacking FB)

Mou is a Southern European as I am and we tend to be very obsessed about having a solid defense that is dependable.We tend to be perfectionists on the damn thing. Smalling, Shaw and Jones might be as solid as Baresi (they are not) but unless they can remain fit and play well when they are needed then they are pretty useless for him. Hence why Mourinho had showed frustration in the defense when Smalling and Shaw refused to play because of injury. Rest assured that he'll take some solid action on that. What is not 100% certain is when.

I think Jose has realized that Rojo is not a LB, he even said he'd been made to play there rather than in his main position of CB, and having seen Rojo in both roles he has to know he's shite at LB but actually playing well at CB.
I also think Jose has an understanding of where he's at now, a CB at RB is a very negative type of choice and he's been embraced here through the crap results because we are seeing what we want to see in terms of the attacking set-up. Plus I don't see Valencia being replaced anytime soon, he's a physical beast who has been reliable all season and is a no nonsense workhorse.

My feeling is we'll buy a CB in Janaury and maybe a young RB to understudy Valencia over the next 18 months, then in the summer we'll see where Shaw, Jones, Rojo and Smalling are at before deciding whether to add another CB and a LB. I actually think Jose will be happy with Jones and Rojo as his back-ups if they keep how they are playing now up until the end of the season.

kr0nix

@Invictus highlighted this post by @Blackwidow, a translation of an interview with Sule where he said he was a United fan:
Gibt es auch einen Club, der Dich besonders beeindruckt?

Süle: "Manchester United ist ein Traum, seitdem ich mit zwölf Jahren bei einem Austausch dort war und bei einem Ausflug, auf den Rasen gehen durfte. Ich bin schon ein bisschen verliebt in das Stadion. Insgesamt ist England natürlich reizvoll, weil die körperbetonte Spielweise zu mir passt. Das wäre schon cool, aber jetzt habe ich meinen Vertrag hier ja erst mal verlängert."

----------------------

I was just looking for an interview as he said something similar some minutes ago in the "Aktuelles Sportstudio"... - and I found one from November 2015. Interesting.

-----------------------

A somewhat free translation:

Do you have a favourite club?
Manchester United is a dream since I have been there with 12 years with an exchange program and was allowed to walk on the pitch during a trip to Old Trafford. I am a little bit in love with the stadium. England would be very interesting as the playing style with more body contact matches well to my strengths. It would be cool, but right now I recently have made a new contract (with Hoffenheim).

Hojoon

I was impressed with him at the Olympics, but haven't seen him much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.