Gaming Nioh (PC, PS4/5)

Donut

It looks more like Bloodborne than Dark Souls, which is right up my alley :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
9.6/10 at ign. One of the highest grade I've seen there.

Anyway, I don't have a PS, and even if I had I wouldn't play it. Enjoyable to watch someone playing, but definitely not the game for me. Wouldn't be able to finish even the first level.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
yeah it's getting stellar reviews, it's a shame i won't play it because it looks too infuriatingly difficult for me.

kps88

Played a couple of hours. Was enjoyable. It could easily be another Dark Souls. I still can't get over how another company can make such a blatant copy.

Siorac

Bleh, another console exclusive :(

I just can't justify spending money on a PS4 even though I'm dying to play Bloodborne and I'm very interested in this.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Team Ninja are the team behind the DMC reboot, right?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's more difficult than Dark Souls or Bloodborne apparently, and also is full of RPG elements where you have to upgrade your character, means it's even more difficult for people who are not into this stuff. I'll skip this one.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's more difficult than Dark Souls or Bloodborne apparently, and also is full of RPG elements where you have to upgrade your character, means it's even more difficult for people who are not into this stuff. I'll skip this one.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Edit (after watching the video in the op):
Seems they sorted out the major lag issues from earlier.
Game looks more interesting now than in the video I had watched earlier, but while it looks more like dark souls than dynasty warriors now, it seems like a meh clone of Bloodborne set in the eastern world, and more like a numbers game than actual difficulty, Ogresse looks like a typical big boss fight (hug it's ass and spank it).
Don't see much difficulty apart from getting adjusted to the new pacing, really.

Last edited:

kps88

I find myself laughing out loud at times at how similar the level design is compared to Dark Souls. Right down to the "kicking ladder down" shortcuts. Show some originality ffs.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I didn't like it that much when playing the demo. It did feel harder than dark souls but I didn't really bother learning how to play properly and turned it off after a few deaths

Woodzy

There can be as many Dark Souls clones out there as possible for all I care, as long as they at least meet the standard of the souls games.

What brings people back to the souls games are unique boss and level designs and of course, the challenge. They've rolled out essentially the same gameplay for 3 games and Bloodborne and those games don't get old, so don't see why well made clones would.

The lore is always great too, but let's be honest it's pretty hard to make sense while you play.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Saw vatiis video on Niho, more excited now, but I'll still be waiting until some more known dark souls players have given their review on the game after release. But hope it means I have something to play when i'm done with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. :)

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Really liking the combat in this so far, its pretty fast compared to DS and has some nice touches like the 3 different fighting stances, definitley more like Bloodborne in the combat department.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I did that classic thing last night where you feel like you are tearing through the enemy grunts with ease, then get killed by a relatively tricky enemy. No problem, I'll just tear through all these dickhead guys again like a boss and have another go at that harder one. NOPE... I was rushing and being too cocky when taking them on so the stupid grunts kept killing me.

Coxy

Love this game. However it's not making me fall in love like Bloodborne did. Great game don't get me wrong, but Bloodborne had something special that this doesn't for me.

Time to move on anyway - back to Skyrim which I'm trying to finish (again) and a bit of FIFA every now and again..... I am making sure I'm ready for Mass Effect in March

Solid 8.5/10 for me (Nioh). If I had more time to play then I would, but just not enough time to git gud.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Hoping to get this finished up in time for Horizon - Zero Dawn but not sure I'll make it hopefully I can do a main mission and a side quest each night and that might do it. Anyway, I really love the combat, it's a nice balance between Bloodborne pace and a Ninja Gaiden type arcadey feel. I definitely don't think it's harder than Bloodborne though as you have a bit more room to be aggressive in combat or maybe that's just because I know the drill with these games now, I've only just beat the 4th boss last night and once you figure out the patterns/tells they aren't too much trouble though the game does punish mistakes/overconfidence dearly with both the normal enemies and bosses. The level design whilst similar isn't really on the same level of the Souls/Borne games though it's still pretty good.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
"NIOH" worldwide exceeded 1 million! Gentlemen, thank you very much. Of celebration and gratitude, we delivered "NIOH-Golden Armor" in the title update for delivery today!"

Great to see this game doing very well so far both critically and commercially. For a pretty niche game like this from a mid-tier Japanese publisher 1 million in a few weeks is a huge success. Well done to Team Ninja and well deserved, they're back with a bang! Hopefully word of mouth will reach more Souls/Bloodborne/Onimusha/Ninja Gaiden fans and push this on even higher.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Late to the party as usual...

Played for about 6-8 hours now with a few breaks.
I'll argue it's difficulty isn't harder or much easier than the souls-series. But difficulty in these kinds of games are extremely subjective. For me, it's easier so far than DS1 & DS3, mind I went hex-mode on DS2 so can't really compare the difficulty to that game.
I do think the "difficulty" being harder than DS comes down to the player being more reliant on gear-upgrades as opposed to "gitting gut" upgrades.

For now, I've found a standard Dark Souls tactic to work well. Have the guard/shield up and let the small-fries run at you, they'll leave an opening once they've hit the guard and then you attack, the heavy-weapon ones are slow so easy to dodge while holding the guard up for safety until you're comfortable with timing. Just need to be careful to not panic-press as the stamina/ki-bar matters more. Bigger guys/yokai have big tells for when and where they'll attack, so it's just about reacting and getting the pattern down.

Must say, my expectations of a "diablo (gear-reliancy) meets dark souls (battle-system)" felt right. Very enjoyable so far, but I've only done 2 bosses so far, but closing in on finding the third one according to the little beastie i have with me. (been going around looking for those shrine-yokai and doing secondary mission). I'm considering testing out those high-level missions (130-170 ish), but expect to be one-shot, and i'm not sure if I'll be able to keep any loot i might be able to acquire of there. Anyone who know if it's worth a try now or if i should just wait til late/post-game for that?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The third one's gonna' f*ck you up.
If it's the vamp girl I beat her first try. Had more problems with the yokai on the boat. :D

Tbf, I had no more hp fills and 20-30 hp left, so was a close one. But still good I feel.
Especially as fast-paced bosses are the ones I traditionally struggle with (Gwyn, lady Maria & lady Friede being my top 3 difficult bosses in soulsborne).

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
You beat that bitch first try? Well, that's annoying. Go fight Tachibana Muneshige.
Not read up on recommended levels, but it always helps that I'm a grinder at heart, I'm sure I was overleveled a bit at lvl 28.
I'm not one of those that enjoy banging my head at a seemingly impervious wall the first time I fight something. So I level to make the challenges a "can I learn these moves the first time around" instead.

Also, if it helps, I died tons getting used to the standard-yokais. :lol:

The Bloody-Nine

The recommended level is 12. I thought that was absurd as she creamed me at around level 20. That f*cking paralysis.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The recommended level is 12. I thought that was absurd as she creamed me at around level 20. That f*cking paralysis.
She hit me with it a couple of times, but didn't seem to get paralyzed/long enough for her to follow up on it. :p

Didn't use any of the anti-paralyzing needles I found before her room either, unless those go automatically?

The Bloody-Nine

She hit me with it a couple of times, but didn't seem to get paralyzed/long enough for her to follow up on it. :p

Didn't use any of the anti-paralyzing needles I found before her room either, unless those go automatically?
No, you have to equip and use those manually.

You're going down eventually, pal. And I want to hear about it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Beat the mission. Now some sleep before I try to run quest2mission2 and then move forward to q3. ^^

The Bloody-Nine

I think I enjoyed Nioh while I was playing it. I say that because thinking back now, it seems more like I endured it rather than enjoyed it.

No inclination to go back and play NG+. As soon as it was over, I breathed a sigh of relief. Souls games? Can play them over and over. Not Nioh, though.

It also resulted in me punching a hole in my bathroom door.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I think I enjoyed Nioh while I was playing it. I say that because thinking back now, it seems more like I endured it rather than enjoyed it.

No inclination to go back and play NG+. As soon as it was over, I breathed a sigh of relief. Souls games? Can play them over and over. Not Nioh, though.

It also resulted in me punching a hole in my bathroom door.
I speed-ran bloodborne a few times just for the extra endings trophies, and want to go back to ds1. Still way too early for me to say about nioh. Ds2 felt like a chore, but one I'm still glad i finished. Ds3 I'm not sure yet either. Need to "clean up" after nioh and do Midir + actually kill the final boss (kill myself near the end because I didn't check up if it goes directly to ng+ or if it's like Ds2 where you could choose).

Think Ds1, bloodborne and maybe Nioh will be the ones I return to after finishing all.
Mind, I never finished demon souls, but I can't be bothered at this point.

I do think ds1 gets more replayability because of how free the world is when you're experienced and take the master key. If that was cut and the nostalgia of being the first where I got that "click of enjoyment" wasn't there, bloodborne might be the only one I'd do replays of.

The Bloody-Nine

I have the platinum for Dark Souls. Seemed like it took a week for the channeler's trident to drop. It's the Dark Souls equivalent of pure bladestone in Demon's Souls.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I have the platinum for Dark Souls. Seemed like it took a week for the channeler's trident to drop. It's the Dark Souls equivalent of pure bladestone in Demon's Souls.
Rushed through q2m1 again just now, found her even easier. She really sticks to a few moves that are relatively easy to dodge when you use rolling (double tap sprint button).
Flying attack = roll
(attack opening right after for 2-3 hard-hit hits)
Stun-scream: roll
(if she is on the ground you stop her by run-slash)
Wing-knives: block/roll
Combo-attacks: bait and punish when she is at the end.

I'll retry the big guy next as I struggled with him more. Then q2m2 before moving to q3.
Decided to re-do q2 because there was a kodama i hadn't found. :p

Edit: got the boat guy this time first round. Much higher level and better gear obviously, but he was easier to dodge now (struggled with his swinging balls the first times, but found rolling out working this time).

Last edited: