Noah Lyles - Is it a question of when, not if, he'll become the fastest ever at 100m & 200m?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Looks a dead cert? Records that were supposed to last a lifetime might be broken a decade and a bit in?

Dan

Not sure what’s prompted this thread but he’s nowhere near Bolt‘s 9.58 for the 100m WR as Lyles’s PB is 9.86.

He might have more chance over the 200m given he’s run the fourth fastest time ever, 19.31.

Balljy

I can't see it. He's 25 and a third of a second off Bolt with a PB he set in 2019 in the 100m. In the 200m he's a lot closer but is over half a second behind Bolt's record this year although he's definitely got a chance in that event.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Not sure what’s prompted this thread but he’s nowhere near Bolt‘s 9.58 for the 100m WR as Lyles’s PB is 9.86.

He might have more chance over the 200m given he’s run the fourth fastest time ever, 19.31.
19.31 is an absolutely phenomenal 200m time, seems like he should focus on that as he’d almost definitely win Olympic gold with a good race.

Dan

19.31 is an absolutely phenomenal 200m time, seems like he should focus on that as he’d almost definitely win Olympic gold with a good race.
If Fred Kerley, Erriyon Knighton and Lyles all get to the World Championships final then we could see something special.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If Fred Kerley, Erriyon Knighton and Lyles all get to the World Championships final then we could see something special.
Bloody hell. I’d not heard of Knighton, but Wikipedia says he ran a 19.49 200m aged 18! That could be an absolute corker of a final.

Dan

Bloody hell. I’d not heard of Knighton, but Wikipedia says he ran a 19.49 200m aged 18! That could be an absolute corker of a final.
That’s assuming they all get through the US Track and Field trials which is no guarantee.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
That’s assuming they all get through the US Track and Field trials which is no guarantee.
Fair point. I don't know what his competition is like for a place, but given the strength of US track and field it will probably be quite high.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No chance in the 100m. 200m probably not either but he could go close in absolutely perfect conditions.

Skills

Snitch
It's impossible to say when the gains in sprinting are so marginal and one injury can take so much away from you

Yohan Blake is the prime example of this. He's ran a 9.69 and a 19.26. In the lead up to London he looked like he might actually usurp Bolt, but it never happened and after that he never ran as fast again.

Tyson Gay again was the same. Same with Asafa Powell.

Gatlin is the only one who actually got faster as he aged, but I think that was the case of him actually not racing during his real prime because of drugs ban.

Zen

Until a record has stood for say 30 years.... there's no way I'm saying it's unbreakable. Hell I don't even see Jonathan Edwards record as unbreakable, and that's pushing 30.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's got a good chance of taking the 200m record. Comparatively that's not as strong as the 100m record. With Lyles having the advantage of the super-spikes, and a nice following wind rather than the slight headwind Bolt faced when running his 19.19, I reckon around 19.00 is possible.

He's got no chance in the 100m, he's not a blistering starter and simply too far off world record pace after 50m to make up any difference in the second half of the race.