Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snafu17

But he gets credit for all the early wins?
What the feck are you even on about? He gets an amount of credit for the early wins, yes, obviously. He was always going to be starting from a favourable position, because he took over a broken team in the middle of an awful season.

But if it makes you feel any better, he's not perfect, he has made and will probably continue to make mistakes and at this point there's probably no good way to actually draw any reasonable conclusions about his work or his ability right now, because it's only been a few months.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Answering back to people is what you do in a discussion. You say you're opinion, people respond, and you reply. Seriously, stop acting childish. People are allowed to disagree with you, it doesn't make them immature. Grow the hell up.
So so petty.

Such a shame discussions have to turn into this.

I've tried to stay on topic at least.

Ole is our manager, do us all a favour and get behind the team, so much negativity on here during Jose's tenure, no need for it under Oles right now.
Whether you believe it's the right call or not is beside the point, he's our manager and he's here to stay for now, so please get over it,

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Reality is this squad isn't good enough. I mean, I would literally swap man for man our midfield with wolves.

Doesn't matter who is in charge tbh. Yes Ole had a response from them, but let's be honest, alot of our squad is average as feck.
This. I said it plenty before Ole got the job that there is no manager out the that would guarantee better results with this set of players.

People saying we should have waited until the end of the season for some mystery man capable of miracles to appear.

RedDevil5

I said him being named permanent manager before the end of the year would be a mistake, and I am worried that I was right.

The squad is full of dross, yes. But this is very worrying the past month. Pogba not performing/caring, defense is shite, midfield is not good enough, Lingard and Lukaku are not good enough, and very late/weird subs. Some of that is not Ole's fault, but some of it is as well. He really needs to switch things up, because right now we look absolutely stuck.

If we fall out of top four, I think we will really struggle in the summer. And if that's the case, next year will likely be rough again. Not looking good folks.

el3mel

The Jones sub had us attacking and looking fairly dangerous, even with ten men. He couldn't account for Smalling switching off causing us to concede a second from a fairly innocuous cross.
It didn't make any kind of sense and fecked up his ability to add more fire power while it was just a draw. I talked about that earlier. Dalot should have just been switched for right back and put Martial in for Fred. Putting Jones was nonsense from him tbh.

Red Stone

This time it's hard to look past the players this time.

1. hey were playing excellently up until after the PSG game, so we know they are capable of playing football.
2. They have all been vocal about how much they like Ole and his methods since he came in.

We started well today as well, and then completely bent over as soon as Wolves found some rhythm. It's hard to understand how the players can ladle up that absolute shite considering Ole's first three months in charge. We must have the most mentally fragile squad in the world, combined with our extreme lack of quality and depth.

dove

We should support him but I don't like a general consensus amongst our fans that Ole is faultless for every bad result, it's just shit squad's fault. He still has to prove a lot, the first 10 matches or so run of good results might as well just be a prolonged new manager bounce, players were happy to finally see Jose gone. Now I think we have been found out tactically in a few matches (not necessarily today, we didn't look too bad). Hopefully I am wrong but he doesn't strike me with confidence that we can finally challenge for titles.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Annoyed he learned little from the last Wolves game. Stand off us and then counter as we are caught high. But even when a wolves occasionally pressed higher up that also fudged us.

We are too predictable and slow to react. Ole’s done great, but he now needs to learn on the spot and fecking react quicker.

He talks the talk, needs to get the message across. Saw none of the intensity or speed in play he wanted pre-match.

Bill Hartzia

This. I said it plenty before Ole got the job that there is no manager out the that would guarantee better results with this set of players. People saying we should have waited until the end of the season for some mystery man capable of miracles to appear.
As I said in another thread: Not much Ole can do with some of the rubbish at his disposal. Like anyone we'd've installed in the hotseat, he's going to need at least two transfer windows and a season and a half before he can be fairly judged against the admittedly low benchmark of the last three managers.Speaking of donkeys, why the heck can I not rate some of these donkeys with a zero on the player ratings thread?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It didn't make any kind of sense and fecked up his ability to add more fire power while it was just a draw. I talked about that earlier.
Were you even watching the game?

The Jones sub settled the back line and allowed us to commit men forward. It was undone by Smalling having a brain fart and us conceding a second goal. There was nothing wrong with the Jones sub. It worked quite well until an individual error by another player.

Throwing on attackers at the cost of shape doesn't earn you points either.

ForestRGoinUp

What the feck are you even on about? He gets an amount of credit for the early wins, yes, obviously. He was always going to be starting from a favourable position, because he took over a broken team in the middle of an awful season.

But if it makes you feel any better, he's not perfect, he has made and will probably continue to make mistakes and at this point there's probably no good way to actually draw any reasonable conclusions about his work or his ability right now, because it's only been a few months.
Ok but you don't hire someone for this job that you can't draw reasonable conclusions about...

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Maybe the silver lining of a poor finish will be Ole realizes he can’t trust half this lot and starts a clear out.

Is he ruthless enough to do that though, I get the impression he could walk in on you could banging his wife and he’d close the door and apologise. He’s already gave extensions to a few underserving players.

I can’t ever imagine he gets even slightly angry, he may get annoyed but I don’t think he will lay into players like SAF did.

Nick.

So so petty.

Such a shame discussions have to turn into this.

I've tried to stay on topic at least.

Ole is our manager, do us all a favour and get behind the team, so much negativity on here during Jose's tenure, no need for it under Oles right now.
Whether you believe it's the right call or not is beside the point, he's our manager and he's here to stay for now, so please get over it,
No, I'm entitled to my opinion and I'm not going to let somebody like you take my voice away.

Un4givableB

To those who demanded Solskjaer be given the job after five games and shouted down anyone who disagreed - how do you feel now guys?
They will blame everybody but OSG.

Ed and the Glazers did the right thing(after not backing their manager) for once, by having a smart plan to replace Jose, bring in a caretaker manager till the end season, assess then appoint a permanent manager.
Win, win for everybody, simples.

Who could feck that up?

Ed and the Glazers.:(

JohnnyKills

We've got to give him the chance to rebuild this squad. Look at the amount of money we've wasted.

How can Wolves pluck a bargain like Neves and we end up with Fred for twice as much money? You could have asked the same question about Doucoure and Herrera on Saturday.

We need to use our scouting network and let them do their work. Clubs like Wolves and Watford are showing just how inept our transfers have been for years.

If Ole doesn't deliver next year, then we can judge him. Given his love for United, he'll probably walk away if things go south anyway.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Same old arguments that players are not enough. Get a fecking grip !

Young as CB, Fred as DM . Hope we don't rue the moment he was appointed. No idea what he was thinking there.

Snafu17

Ok but you don't hire someone for this job that you can't draw reasonable conclusions about...
Well we wouldn't be able to do that at the end of the season anyway. We would have to take a gamble no matter what manager came in, because there's no safe option.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's still the man, for me. Let down by individual errors and just not being clinical. We scuffed two absolute sitters before the equaliser, and then another two after it. Almost the opposite of the Watford game, few chances but won.

A lot of investment needed, and that was always the case whether it was Ole, Zidane, Poch or anyone. Defence is garbage, we have one capable full back, no wingers. It's not a one window job. The new technical director/DoF really needs to be appointed soon to prepare for what has to be a big summer as well as a plan for the next 2 or 3 windows.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The Jones sub had us attacking and looking fairly dangerous, even with ten men. He couldn't account for Smalling switching off causing us to concede a second from a fairly innocuous cross.
Exactly. I don't get people moaning about subs. We added Jones to maintain 3 at the back, Shaw and Dalot played higher up the pitch to support the attack.

Our finishing was off this game. Should have been 3-0 up and game over but we conceded silly goal and made it hard for ourselves.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't understand how some fans are saying Ole gets no blame at all. Of course he gets some of it, while the players get the most. If he was blameless then he shouldn't lot of praise when we win too, it goes both ways. Weird stuff really. Unfortunately Ole did some stuff wrong today, the subs were wrong and came late, and he relies on counter attacking football too much, we don't seem to build up play well at times.

He does seem like a quick learner though and I hope he knows we have a lot of player he shouldn't trust. The same players who failed under 3 managers shouldn't given a chance again, enough is enough. You hope Ole is ruthless and gets the board to back him this summer or he's going end up like the other three managers.

el3mel

Were you even watching the game?

The Jones sub settled the back line and allowed us to commit men forward. It was undone by Smalling having a brain fart and us conceding a second goal. There was nothing wrong with the Jones sub. It worked quite well until an individual error by another player.

Throwing on attackers at the cost of shape doesn't earn you points either.
Settled the backline ? :lol:

We were drawing the game and playing awful. He had a right back shoehorned into right wing and his first concern was to add more defenders.

We had already 4 defenders when Young was red carded. Adding another one was nonsense, and led to us having no options later on to increase the fire power and score.

He should have switched Dalot to the right back and put Martial with Lukaku and Lingard upfront and Scott and Pogba in midfield. That's well balanced with 4 defenders and 3 forwards. You wouldn't have felt we were losing a player.

Shaw - Smalling - Lindelof - Dalot
Scott - Pogba
Martial - Lukaku - Lingard

But he removed Fred and put yet another defender while keeping the shoehorned right back at the right wing so basically only 2 attackers upfront.

I don't even know how was anyone expecting us to score with Lukaku and Lingard our only 2 attackers. :lol:

Thanks to this trash sub, when he had to put Martial in, he couldn't remove anyone from the midfield or defense and had to remove Lukaku and complete the full game we were chasing and losing with only and only 2 attackers.

We were never going to score after that even if the game lasted for tomorrow.

Josh 76

Serves Woodward and Utd right. Should have waited until end of season. We’ve had a few decent results but in majority of games we had done just enough. Against PSG it was more luck than anything and the last few weeks since PSG have shown how average we are.
We need a clear out and start from scratch bar a few players. Ole is not the man to be relying on to be building a team from scratch. He’s done fantastic since mourinho but I would have waited until end of season

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I am concerned with the progressive slide in our performances since the first 2/3 games. We played magnificent those first few games, lot's of one touch passes but now we're just like Mourinho's instructions.

I hope that it's just because he's trying to get through this season, then in the summer he will implement his own ideas.

Also his most recent press conference where when asked what he plans to do now he has the permanent job, he said he will carry on like he has nothing to lose like he has since he first came in. That's a bit worrying, it doesn't exactly fill me with loads of confidence for next season. We have got a massive rebuild job in the summer where we need to be ruthless.

I dread that Ed and the board are planning a frugal summer where Ole will be asked to mostly make do with what he's got. If that's the case, we're dead.

We need at least 4 players in this summer: RB,CB,CDM,RW. (Ideally we need another creative cm to lessen the burden on Pogba).

• Our right-wing is non-existant.
  • Sanchez has been a disaster.
  • Young's legs have gone, Dalot is too inexperienced yet.
  • Smalling/Jones/Bailly take turns each game to make calamity mistakes.
  • Matic's legs have gone. Fred is not reliable yet.
  • Lukaku & Martial are inconsistent. Rashford is too young to be relied upon.

On top of that, we're full of average players renewed on high wages. To the point where we're now struggling to renew our best players. DDG has not re-signed. Herrera is getting courted by PSG, Pogba by Madrid etc.

It's a complete shambles, I do not feel optimistic about next season at all.

Last edited:
Is he ruthless enough to do that though, I get the impression he could walk in on you could banging his wife and he’d close the door and apologise. He’s already gave extensions to a few underserving players.

I can’t ever imagine he gets even slightly angry, he may get annoyed but I don’t think he will lay into players like SAF did.
I need to re-watch Boogie Nights.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
No, I'm entitled to my opinion and I'm not going to let somebody like you take my voice away.
Sensitive little flower aren't you!!
I've already mentioned that your entitled to your opinion,
There used to be a time when people got behind a popular figure taking over as manager, especially when they are doing a good if not great job,
Ole will be judged on next season and next season alone, this season was written off the moment we refused to buy Jose the players he wanted,
But of course, because we've now lost to Wolves twice he needs to be gone right?
Reactionary revisionist history.

SAFMUTD

Pep had the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol and that guy called Messi.
Zidane had a brilliant team too.
Another point to take into account to apoint Ole. What great player will come here if we are not in the next UCL, we haven’t challenged for major titles in the last 6 years and we have a rookie as a manager?

We are going to have to pay A LOT to convince quality players and majorly outcasts or promising players that are a gamble. So either way the future doesnt look bright for us.

DavelinaJolie

I don't understand why the likes of Pogba regressed so suddenly. Do they not have confidence in OGS? Are they overconfident and think they can walk these games? Players having their heads turned? Are they wanting more money?

I have to agree with what someone else said, I'm not sure I see a consistent philosophy in what Ole is doing. It feels a bit fragmented, and consequently it is quite frustrating to watch. The first 20 or so minutes of the game tonight, we were bossing that and could have scored a few. What happened after that? I'd be interested to read a breakdown of the game from someone who knows more than I, in order to understand why it changed so dramatically.

If Ole can set the foundations with a entertaining,young team then he would've done half of his job,imo.
But I dont expect him to be lifting the PL or CL title while he's here.

I said in the Ole thread when he was given the job fulltime that I still expect Poch to be our manager at some point in the near future.I still stick with that prediction.

Ban

Another point to take into account to apoint Ole. What great player will come here if we are not in the next UCL, we haven’t challenged for major titles in the last 6 years and we have a rookie as a manager?

We are going to have to pay A LOT to convince quality players and majorly outcasts or promising players that are a gamble. So either way the future doesnt look bright for us.
I'd go for promising players. United name is still strong despite all. I think we need a fresh start. Maybe one starter, a star but other than that young players.

Nick.

Sensitive little flower aren't you!!
I've already mentioned that your entitled to your opinion,
There used to be a time when people got behind a popular figure taking over as manager, especially when they are doing a good if not great job,
Ole will be judged on next season and next season alone, this season was written off the moment we refused to buy Jose the players he wanted,
But of course, because we've now lost to Wolves twice he needs to be gone right?
Reactionary revisionist history.
I didn't say sack Ole, I said we should have held our nerve in the international break. Just stop lying

Kag

Settled the backline ? :lol:

We were drawing the game and playing awful. He had a right back shoehorned into right wing and his first concern was to add more defenders.

We had already 4 defenders when Young was red carded. Adding another one was nonsense, and led to us having no options later on to increase the fire power and score.

He should have switched Dalot to the right back and put Martial with Lukaku and Lingard upfront and Scott and Pogba in midfield. That's well balanced with 4 defenders and 3 forwards. You wouldn't have felt we were losing a player.

Shaw - Smalling - Lindelof - Dalot
Scott - Pogba
Martial - Lukaku - Lingard

But he removed Fred and put yet another defender while keeping the shoehorned right back at the right wing so basically only 2 attackers upfront.

I don't even know how was anyone expecting us to score with Lukaku and Lingard our only 2 attackers. :lol:

Thanks to this trash sub, when he had to put Martial in, he couldn't remove anyone from the midfield or defense and had to remove Lukaku and complete the full game we were chasing and losing with only and only 2 attackers.

We were never going to score after that even if the game lasted for tomorrow.
I genuinely feel a bit for people like you. You clearly quite like football but you just don’t quite understand what it’s all about.

The Jones substitution was a sensible one for the reasons outlined by @Alex99. If you can’t see that then I don’t know what to say.

Redpensioner

Reality is this squad isn't good enough. I mean, I would literally swap man for man our midfield with wolves.

Doesn't matter who is in charge tbh. Yes Ole had a response from them, but let's be honest, alot of our squad is average as feck.
Agreed our players need to realise we expect them to play the full 90 mins and leave it on the pitch, really want to see the back of Pogba (lazy player) Lukaku ( not smart enough in box) De Gea (mind not in Manchester anymore) Fred ( just good enough) sell them and get a defence as the only one I trust is Luke Shaw.

Phil Osophy

I was a bit dishearted after the last two games but today we wouldn't have lost in normal conditions. Too many individual mistakes including the missed chances, the red card, our defenders and the keeper having a mare even in pretty easy actions, Fred slipping in the first goal and so on. I'd be worried if it was an abysmal performance from a collective point of view as we did in the cup or this weekend against Watford, but today it was a different story.

9 vs 18 shots I'm seeing now, such a shame to lose a game like this.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Putting McTominay and Pogba alone in midfield would've been a disaster, we got overrun in midfield as it is.

Spotkick

No mather how much i dislike my next statement it has to be said. The problem he and probably all managers have here is that they have to use Brittish players. It is not a fact but I do think this is an issue at the club.

SAF had Brits but he had Brits because they were good, now we have Brits because they are British. Almost every week we have 5 British players wich are pretty much useless. I believe with Ole it is only gonna get worse because hes from the saf era and wishes to have the same policy, however it is impossible to buy decent players from other PL clubs because they cost a fortune.

we need a change of policy thats for damn sure. Get a DOF please and guide Ole with the right signings, because to me it looks like he wants to buy British players and that sounds like another step in the past and we need steps forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.