Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch | Reports: Being considered for Canada job

Strootman's Finger

McKenna and Carrick are doing alright. I think with the right club he can be quite successful. The thing is though he’ll have no coaching staff to join him as there both managers at other teams :lol:
Even worse, they're the ones that did the coaching for him. So any form of training or development was them, and now they're gone.

Zen86

So much bitterness for a club legend. There’s no need for the derision. Just wish him all the best and move on with your life.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
So much bitterness for a club legend. There’s no need for the derision. Just wish him all the best and move on with your life.
That is fair. I've taken the piss in this thread, but he's obviously still a club legend for what he did as a player. And he's probably not as bad of manager as many in this thread claim. Not good enough for the United job, but then again there are very few who are.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If someone told you at the end of Mou's reign (or even the beginning of the end of his reign) that we'll finish 3rd and 2nd in the following 2 seasons, I think everyone would have taken it.

It's only because it's Ole that we have "competition was shit", "no rotation", "where are the subs", "nepotism", "individual brilliance" etc. that went on. I mean I don't think anyone will say that we finished 3rd this season because Pool and Chelsea had poor seasons, nor would anyone credit our form to just Rashy's form/individual brilliance. And in a way, this is a good thing.

So, if he wants, he can easily get a good enough job. The question is after getting his dream job, would he want to take it up?

Abhinav

Immense respect and love for Ole the man and the player. As a manager, he wasn’t quite at United level but I think if he wanted he could get a PL gig. The media narrative of him being the worst manager in the league did him no favours. He got decent results and cup runs with some entertaining football at time, albeit without any trophies. Don’t get the disrespect he gets post his sacking.

dpansheth

Some in here are obsessed with labelling him as incompetent and ultimately not good enough for any job. He did a good job with united all things considered, and I don't see where 'failing at a big club's is an excuse to not give managers a chance as all will eventually fail at those clubs anyway.

The only issue is that majority of premier league teams are rich enough to go after the best coaching talents, especially ones from abroad, as evidenced by Villa, Wolves, Leeds, Brighton, even the likes of Southampton would rather hire a foreigner (e.g. Puel/Hassenhutle) than say an Ole.

I'm pretty sure he can get a decent job in the German or Spanish top flight if he wanted.
I have no problem not bashing Ole. what I have a problem with is fans adjusting their expectations of a manchester united manager because he's one of us. He did not do a good job, end of. You can provide a million reasons on why, but he did not.

wrt his future employment opportunities, my best wishes to him, he's our Hero FFS. If I have to bet, he wont be employed by anyone in PL for a while. "What have you done lately" is the first line in resume and he'll have to rebuild his reputation. So smaller leagues is the option he will have to explore.

arthurka

He can setup a team to break on the counter. He will get another job and do a fine one at that.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he’s getting loads of offers. they’re just coming from girls at other schools and none of us would know them.

Amarsdd

If someone told you at the end of Mou's reign (or even the beginning of the end of his reign) that we'll finish 3rd and 2nd in the following 2 seasons, I think everyone would have taken it.

It's only because it's Ole that we have "competition was shit", "no rotation", "where are the subs", "nepotism", "individual brilliance" etc. that went on. I mean I don't think anyone will say that we finished 3rd this season because Pool and Chelsea had poor seasons, nor would anyone credit our form to just Rashy's form/individual brilliance. And in a way, this is a good thing.

So, if he wants, he can easily get a good enough job. The question is after getting his dream job, would he want to take it up?
"Yeah, but it doesn't count cause there were no fan!!!"
Anyway I completely agree with your post. In addition, I think he'll be very wary about taking any PL jobs given the kinda media and twitter-fan
circus that'll follow. And he'll be wise to be wary after the treatment he got even when he was doing well.

criticalanalysis

Those exact things were literally aimed at Mourinho, who got us 2nd (which many of us had suspected was false dawn due to our playing style and the circumstances such as you've named) and was a proven winner with an almost unparalleled track record. If those criticisms were valid for Mourinho, then it's was definitely fair game for Ole.

It's not because 'it's LVG', or 'it's Mourinho' or 'it's Ole' or 'it's Rangnick'. It's because they were all poor managers for us, period.

I honestly don't give a feck about any of them because they were all shit coaches and managers for Manchester United i.e don't really care what they did before or after. Imo criticism that gets thrown their way is mostly justified; they all showed they were not able to build or manage the club in this modern era, even with the shitshow that was the board/Woodward. That includes Ole, although I can separate him as the player i.e legend.

Robbie Boy

Those exact things were literally aimed at Mourinho, who got us 2nd (which many of us had suspected was false dawn due to our playing style and the circumstances such as you've named) and was a proven winner with an almost unparalleled track record. If those criticisms were valid for Mourinho, then it's was definitely fair game for Ole.

It's not because 'it's LVG', or 'it's Mourinho' or 'it's Ole' or 'it's Rangnick'. It's because they were all poor managers for us, period.

I honestly don't give a feck about any of them because they were all shit coaches and managers for Manchester United i.e don't really care what they did before or after. Imo criticism that gets thrown their way is mostly justified; they all showed they were not able to build or manage the club in this modern era, even with the shitshow that was the board/Woodward. That includes Ole, although I can separate him as the player i.e legend.
Spot on. Every one of them was a colossal failure.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What's norways national team situation like?
I've always assumed he'd take over that in time.
The guy who was managing Copenhagen when we barely got past them towards the end of the covid season is the manager now. If he gets us to the Euros he's probably staying until 2026 at least. If not then there could be a vacancy next year.

Kaos

Some in here are obsessed with labelling him as incompetent and ultimately not good enough for any job. He did a good job with united all things considered, and I don't see where 'failing at a big club's is an excuse to not give managers a chance as all will eventually fail at those clubs anyway.

The only issue is that majority of premier league teams are rich enough to go after the best coaching talents, especially ones from abroad, as evidenced by Villa, Wolves, Leeds, Brighton, even the likes of Southampton would rather hire a foreigner (e.g. Puel/Hassenhutle) than say an Ole.

I'm pretty sure he can get a decent job in the German or Spanish top flight if he wanted.
He's definitely not good enough for any top flight job. He doesn't have a niche as a scrapper who will help a struggling side (evident with Cardiff), nor is he remotely suited to a role at a big club (evident by him winning the square root of feck all with us). On top of that he's not really a coach, and doesn't have any vision or philosophy for how he wants his teams to play. He's essentially a Lampard without the English exceptionalism.

And I don't think he did a particularly good job with us. I think we were blinkered by the PSG game and the fact he finished 2nd in a season where we were otherwise unremarkable. The fact is he left the squad in an absolutely dire state, bringing in signings who our current (and genuinely elite) manager is desperately trying to phase out of the team, and made super baffling decisions like making Harry feckin Maguire captain.

And no chance he does well in Spain or Germany. They're still highly technical leagues filled with very good coaches that are expected to instill a style or philosophy to their teams. What will Ole do for a Leipzig or Sociedad? Beg McKenna and Carrick to come back and do the coaching for him while he insists on the importance of 'pashun' while telling his strikers to 'feckin shoot' during training?

I don't mean to come across as bitter and scathing as I currently do, and believe me I have nothing but adoration for him as a player, but let's be honest - Molde was very much his level and ceiling. If he wants to prove otherwise he could do what Kompany is currently doing at Burnley, or better yet - swallow his pride and follow in the footsteps of the first team coaches who worked under him.

Tommy79

Ole did better at United than Moyes. He had a bad ending but that's the case for nearly every manager. In the meantime he took United to a second place finish, a European Cup final, with victories against top teams on his resume.

If a PL chairman is soured by how it ended, there is nothing he can do in the Championship (a lower level of competition) to change the chairman's mind.

Again, the idea of him needing to drop down a level to learn his trade is absurd.
I think it's rather stupid to be blunt with you to compare moyes and Ole, as take it like this, moyes took over a team while they had just won the league were on its last legs, Rio had been losing his pace since he was turned on the halfway line by a midget in that 09 final and left for dead, RVP admitted he downed tools the season moyes took over due to him been pissed the great one retired even after saying he had no intention during the contract talks.

Then there is also the fact Ole took over a team that won the league cup and uefa, a team that cost millions and then was given a further 200 odd million and a few years to try to get his plan across whatever it was meant to be, as he claimed to want to play a high line and went out and got the slowest CB and a RB who couldn't attack for shit.

Look if you want to compare Ole record as a manager, compare him to Jose as similar cash spent, also with length of time given. In another post, you question why they should start off lower leagues, gives them a chance to learn every aspect of the game and what is needed. And yes I do think he could get another job but not at a top club, as many a decent manager earned their stripes in a lower league, most likely in my time the most famous, Alex Ferguson.

Now haven't said all that, I really don't rate him as a manager due to his time here and at Cardiff, but he WILL always be the legend that told spurs to piss off in 98 and chose to stay and fight for his spot and never bitched about it and got his just rewards.

el3mel

Will? There is news of him rejecting at least 1 offer in the PL. Worse managers have been hired. And despite not winning, he did ok with United. Moyes was worse and got hired by West Ham. He can absolutely get a job in the PL, all he has to do is wait.

Should? That's just wishful agenda thinking from you, which is your right, but that doesn't translate to him needing to drop to the Championship to again, "learn his trade". That's FM talk that doesn't translate to real life.
Moyes failed at United but he was Everton manager for 11 years and was a respected Premier League manager before his spell at United. His United stint just proved he can't cut it at top clubs but he's still a very good midtable one.

Ole didn't just fail at United but he had zero resume at the PL before it bar a miserable experience with Cardiff and that stint + his United one being mostly relied on the players individual abilities to bail him out definitely doesn't give good vibes for midtable or relegation fodders to hire him so that he saves them or something. No matter how much you look into it, most clubs will probably trust Moyes more than Ole.

I don't think he will manage in PL again. He will probably be back to Norway at some point, either that or he will probably never manage again in general.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Ole did better at United than Moyes. He had a bad ending but that's the case for nearly every manager. In the meantime he took United to a second place finish, a European Cup final, with victories against top teams on his resume.

If a PL chairman is soured by how it ended, there is nothing he can do in the Championship (a lower level of competition) to change the chairman's mind.

Again, the idea of him needing to drop down a level to learn his trade is absurd.
Your last sentence is true, but regarding Ole/Moyes and their respective prospects the bolded doesn't mean much. Moyes decade plus of PL management at Everton was always going to get him opportunities despite his horror show at United. Ole's United stint was much better, but realistically no team fighting it out at the top will go in for him, and his PL experience outside of that was relegation with Cardiff and then struggling in the championship.

I like the guy and he's that rare breed of manager who is actually pretty likeable (and having managed Cardiff that is incredible considering being a POS is usually their main hiring criteria) so I would like to see him back in management and doing well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think it's rather stupid to be blunt with you to compare moyes and Ole, as take it like this, moyes took over a team while they had just won the league were on its last legs, Rio had been losing his pace since he was turned on the halfway line by a midget in that 09 final and left for dead, RVP admitted he downed tools the season moyes took over due to him been pissed the great one retired even after saying he had no intention during the contract talks.

Then there is also the fact Ole took over a team that won the league cup and uefa, a team that cost millions and then was given a further 200 odd million and a few years to try to get his plan across whatever it was meant to be, as he claimed to want to play a high line and went out and got the slowest CB and a RB who couldn't attack for shit.

Look if you want to compare Ole record as a manager, compare him to Jose as similar cash spent, also with length of time given. In another post, you question why they should start off lower leagues, gives them a chance to learn every aspect of the game and what is needed. And yes I do think he could get another job but not at a top club, as many a decent manager earned their stripes in a lower league, most likely in my time the most famous, Alex Ferguson.

Now haven't said all that, I really don't rate him as a manager due to his time here and at Cardiff, but he WILL always be the legend that told spurs to piss off in 98 and chose to stay and fight for his spot and never bitched about it and got his just rewards.
I think it's rather idiotic for you to take my post as an absolute comparison of Moyes and Ole's tenure at United (an exercise that can have different winners depending on who you ask and what the criteria is) instead of an argument as to why a trip to the Championship wouldn't do Ole much good. Dumb post, in case I didn't make that clear enough.

Moyes failed at United but he was Everton manager for 11 years and was a respected Premier League manager before his spell at United. His United stint just proved he can't cut it at top clubs but he's still a very good midtable one.

Ole didn't just fail at United but he had zero resume at the PL before it bar a miserable experience with Cardiff and that stint + his United one being mostly relied on the players individual abilities to bail him out definitely doesn't give good vibes for midtable or relegation fodders to hire him so that he saves them or something. No matter how much you look into it, most clubs will probably trust Moyes more than Ole.

I don't think he will manage in PL again. He will probably be back to Norway at some point, either that or he will probably never manage again in general.
Adding @Cascarino

I think you and others need to get out of the heads of PL chairmen, because you don't know what their criteria for hiring is. You just don't. I don't either, and I don't pretend to. I simply look at their hiring history, and regardless of how much you want to convince yourself that Moyes looks much better than Ole (that argument is a waste of time), Ole's resume does not look out of place in the long line of PL managers. Feel free to respond with proof he's the worst manager ever since 1992

And assuming it did, and he is unhireable, a fecking drop to the Championship is not going to convince a PL chairman that, "oh shit, Ole failed at Cardiff and "failed" at United, but what he did with Accrington Stanley, oh he's definitely the man to rescue us from relegation or take us to the CL!"

I'm anti "drop down to the Championship and learn your trade" and all sorts of silly lines fans say that sound smart but in reality are devoid of substance, and I'm willing to concede Ole will never get hired again and needs to go into Norway's dairy farm industry, if you'll agree that he doesn't need to drop into the Championship to do shit

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think it's rather idiotic for you to take my post as an absolute comparison of Moyes and Ole's tenure at United (an exercise that can have different winners depending on who you ask and what the criteria is) instead of an argument as to why a trip to the Championship wouldn't do Ole much good. Dumb post, in case I didn't make that clear enough.

Adding @Cascarino

I think you and others need to get out of the heads of PL chairmen, because you don't know what their criteria for hiring is. You just don't. I don't either, and I don't pretend to. I simply look at their hiring history, and regardless of how much you want to convince yourself that Moyes looks much better than Ole (that argument is a waste of time), Ole's resume does not look out of place in the long line of PL managers. Feel free to respond with proof he's the worst manager ever since 1992

And assuming it did, and he is unhireable, a fecking drop to the Championship is not going to convince a PL chairman that, "oh shit, Ole failed at Cardiff and "failed" at United, but what he did with Accrington Stanley, oh he's definitely the man to rescue us from relegation or take us to the CL!"

I'm anti "drop down to the Championship and learn your trade" and all sorts of silly lines fans say that sound smart but in reality are devoid of substance, and I'm willing to concede Ole will never get hired again and needs to go into Norway's dairy farm industry, if you'll agree that he doesn't need to drop into the Championship to do shit
I'm not sure why you added me and then went on to talk about a point I never fecking made?

Tommy79

Hmm so why use Moyes and not someone comparable like Jose, ah yeah doesn't suit, now that's fecking idiotic at it best. Do try to get over the real Pep and not lego pep just fecked up your weekend.

M15 Red.

Because I didn't feel like doing a red indian chief and multiquoting 3 posts

And in retrospect I wish I did because why am I still in this thread
Goalkeepers who dive to the right always save more penalties.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Because I didn't feel like doing a red indian chief and multiquoting 3 posts

And in retrospect I wish I did because why am I still in this thread
I mean your post was avoidably prickish considering the tone of mine. Which would be tolerable if I hadn't argued the exact opposite of what you insinuated.

Red00012

I hope he comes back to management , I can’t see him dropping down to championship but hopefully a PL club takes a chance on him

Castia

I'm surprised he's not back into management

Much better than the likes of Lampard for example

Revaulx

He's definitely not good enough for any top flight job. He doesn't have a niche as a scrapper who will help a struggling side (evident with Cardiff), nor is he remotely suited to a role at a big club (evident by him winning the square root of feck all with us). On top of that he's not really a coach, and doesn't have any vision or philosophy for how he wants his teams to play. He's essentially a Lampard without the English exceptionalism.

And I don't think he did a particularly good job with us. I think we were blinkered by the PSG game and the fact he finished 2nd in a season where we were otherwise unremarkable. The fact is he left the squad in an absolutely dire state, bringing in signings who our current (and genuinely elite) manager is desperately trying to phase out of the team, and made super baffling decisions like making Harry feckin Maguire captain.

And no chance he does well in Spain or Germany. They're still highly technical leagues filled with very good coaches that are expected to instill a style or philosophy to their teams. What will Ole do for a Leipzig or Sociedad? Beg McKenna and Carrick to come back and do the coaching for him while he insists on the importance of 'pashun' while telling his strikers to 'feckin shoot' during training?

I don't mean to come across as bitter and scathing as I currently do, and believe me I have nothing but adoration for him as a player, but let's be honest - Molde was very much his level and ceiling. If he wants to prove otherwise he could do what Kompany is currently doing at Burnley, or better yet - swallow his pride and follow in the footsteps of the first team coaches who worked under him.
I think this is a fair assessment, but I'm not sure I agree with the bolded bit.

I reckon he did have a vision and philisophy, but hadn't got much idea as to how to implement it. It was clear that he wasn't happy with us being just a counterattacking team, and felt that in order to compete at the top level we needed to be playing a more proactive brand of football. His attempt to implement that at the start of last season proved to be a disaster though. Some of his signings didn't help; neither Maguire nor Ronaldo were a good fit for a more front-footed style. Without wanting to exempt him from all blame, I do wonder how many of "his" signings were actually the pet projects of others.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
but hopefully a PL club takes a chance on him
I don't see it. Not necessarily because he's not PL quality(hey, he might be), but because he doesn't seem suited to save teams from relegation. And those are kind of the only PL jobs available for him nowadays. And he can forget about the top jobs, obviously.

I think he should try his luck somewhere else than Norway and England. It might be good for him.

el3mel

Adding @Cascarino

You really didn't provide any good reason why a struggling midtable or relegation threatened club would turn to Ole to get them up based on his overall resume. This reads up like a bunch of incoherent mess that doesn't address the main point.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You really didn't provide any good reason why a struggling midtable or relegation threatened club would turn to Ole to get them up based on his overall resume. This reads up like a bunch of incoherent mess that doesn't address the main point.
I'm saying that

1. People with worse resumes have been hired
2. A drop down to the Championship won't change the perception of him by said midtable/relegation teams.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
2. A drop down to the Championship won't change the perception of him by said midtable/relegation teams.
Adding @Cascarino

You responded to me and @el3mel, and the dropping down a level thing has made up the majority of your argument, to the point you're eager for us to agree that he doesn't need to drop into the Championship. I feel the need to point out neither of us made that argument, like at all. (I did explicitly state he didn't need to drop down a level though).

The first paragraph doesn't really make much sense either. No one has claimed he's the worst manager since 1992, so I'm not sure why you're making petty requests for proof of that. Stating imo that Moyes would get more opportunities than Ole post United is a pretty fair stance, one that you're entitled to disagree with, but I'm not sure how that's me positioning myself as having some unique insight into the thought process of a PL chairman, when I did so on the exact same grounds as you, their hiring history.

1. People with worse resumes have been hired
To circle back to the whole incoherent mess, no one argued against this. It was a couple of posters stating that Moyes would get more opportunities than Ole would. In which you then made a bunch of straw man arguments and ranted. Your football posts are usually worthwhile enough to give you the benefit of the doubt, but considering you labelled someone else's post dumb and idiotic above when you authored this far more egregious shitshow, it seems fair game.

dann496

It is hard for me to condemn Ole as manager, in the first place he was hired as interim anyway and hit some purple patches with the squad. The team back then looked happily united and playing better football than any manager after Fergie. United fans also quite happy with his signings back then, and there were so much hype with Ronaldo signing too. On that account, Ole lack quality to manage United on the long term and on hindsight, we shall not made him as permanent.

Kopral Jono

It is hard for me to condemn Ole as manager, in the first place he was hired as interim anyway and hit some purple patches with the squad. The team back then looked happily united and playing better football than any manager after Fergie. United fans also quite happy with his signings back then, and there were so much hype with Ronaldo signing too. On that account, Ole lack quality to manage United on the long term and on hindsight, we shall not made him as permanent.
Your username feels distinctly familiar and then it dawned on me: mid-noughties Indomanutd forum?