Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiesarmy1

It is not vague though is it, i mean he's been a manager for what, over 10 years now and he's done absolutely nothing of note except bad things or things that are not worth writing home about. So getting a team relegated, and then nearly getting them relegated again in the next season before having to be sacked to save them from it doesn't say much? What? would you be saying the same thing if we hired another manager who hadn't played for us and had done that exact same thing, no, you wouldn't. You can say what he did in Norway was pretty good but then his team got better AFTER he left, so, really, how was it any good?

The fact is, every manager plays youth, especially if they are told to, hell Rashford got his start under LVG and arguably McTominay got his under Mourinho, it's a complete myth that we need someone of "United DNA" to blood in some youngsters and that's what the club needs right now, well, every club should be doing this, so should every manager, it's not something exclusive to an ex player of United that gives him some secret sauce to doing it.

I'm sorry but people like you would see us sink down even lower based purely on dreams, in the hopes that contrary to all the evidence, he might become good here one day because he used to play for us, you have no actual tangible evidence to back up your claims, then we will dither and let better managers go elsewhere and we are left back at square 1 again hiring someone we shouldn't hire because we have no choice now.

Sorry but no, he hasn't "earned" any time here, people are clamouring for it because they want the romanticism of him becoming the next Sir Alex, it isn't going to happen.
He took over a sinking ship and it sunk, that team was going to get relegated anyway. They were clearly out of their depth in the premiership. The biggest mistake Ole made was taking that job, I think Fergie even tried to talk him out of it but as players like Giggsy have found opportunities in the premiership are pretty rare if you aren’t in that cluster of managers on the merry go round like Moyes, allardyce etc or one of the fancy names from abroad.

L1nk

He took over a sinking ship and it sunk, that team was going to get relegated anyway. They were clearly out of their depth in the premiership. The biggest mistake Ole made was taking that job, I think Fergie even tried to talk him out of it but as players like Giggsy have found opportunities in the premiership are pretty rare if you aren’t in that cluster of managers on the merry go round like Moyes, allardyce etc or one of the fancy names from abroad.
Okay, lets say he took over a sinking ship as you say. He then got a fresh start with them in an easier division the next season, with a lot of players bought in the transfer market, infact they bought 9 and got rid of most of Mackay's men and Solskjaer had a team he wanted, entirely of his own making, then guess what, he was shockingly bad again and was sacked, i mean what more do you want, fresh season, a whole new team bought for him, and he fails. But somehow he's going to miraculously do it with this team? Why? Come on. You also skipped over my point with his previous team doing much better after he left.

Just say it, you think he's going to succeed because he used to play for us, and that's the only reason, it's not because of experience, skill or acumen, it's because he used to play for us, that is it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He also started next season in championship after he bought 8 or 9 players and failed again. He had 2 wins in 7 games. After that he didn't do anything special in Molde also ( finished 2nd,3rd and 5th).

He is a keeper definitely

fergiesarmy1

Okay, lets say he took over a sinking ship as you say. He then got a fresh start with them in an easier division the next season, with a lot of players bought in the transfer market, infact they bought 9 and got rid of most of Mackay's men and Solskjaer had a team he wanted, entirely of his own making, then guess what, he was shockingly bad again and was sacked, i mean what more do you want, fresh season, a whole new team bought for him, and he fails. But somehow he's going to miraculously do it with this team? Why? Come on. You also skipped over my point with his previous team doing much better after he left.

Just say it, you think he's going to succeed because he used to play for us, and that's the only reason, it's not because of experience, skill or acumen, it's because he used to play for us, that is it.
I hope he is going to succeed but not because he used to play for us, that is just a reason I like him.

I don’t think under the circumstances he is doing as bad a job as all you lot that want him sacked think but mainly I don’t want him sacked because he isn’t the biggest issue we as fans should be worried about and at least I know he is doing the best for the club in the meantime.

Odin

Let's just forget that OGS on several occasions has pointed to his time at Cardiff providing him with crucial experience, most notably he's mentioned the need for time to gel a new team when implementing new tactics and undergoing rebuilds/transitions. A new team is not necessarily a well functioning team, but it may become one...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I hope he is going to succeed but not because he used to play for us, that is just a reason I like him.

I don’t think under the circumstances he is doing as bad a job as all you lot that want him sacked think but mainly I don’t want him sacked because he isn’t the biggest issue we as fans should be worried about and at least I know he is doing the best for the club in the meantime.
What if those goals had been the other way round and Teddy had got the winner. Would he now be our manager?

Irwin99

Eh what? Aside from PSG away, we had 0 memorable wins.

We've had more memorable losses for fecks sakes.
Lot of people forgetting LVG's big performances too. The 1-0 against City in his last season was a pretty similar performance. We came out the blocks really fast then absorbed the pressure for most of the game. The Juanfield game (2-1) was probably one of our best performances in the post SAF era. Can't remember many other times where we dominated Liverpool so completely on their own turf.

L1nk

Let's just forget that OGS on several occasions has pointed to his time at Cardiff providing him with crucial experience, most notably he's mentioned the need for time to gel a new team when implementing new tactics and undergoing rebuilds/transitions. A new team is not necessarily a well functioning team, but it may become one...
Well damn, i'm glad he got all that experience, and i'm also glad we are the club to take on the little experiment after his failings, fills me to the absolute brim with confidence. I'm glad all that experience is showing in such things like, criminally poor in game management, playing players when they are already injured leading to even longer lay offs etc.

All i ever hear is rebuild/transition i'm sick to the back teeth of it to be honest. Any little excuse to give him time and money despite all evidence saying it's an absolutely stupid idea.

It's the crux of the point though really isn't it, it's all hypotheticals, oh the team might become good, oh he may become a good manager given time, as it would with other managers but you wanna hand this responsibility over to one of the worst proven managers, just because he's an ex player, it's absolutely astoundingly dumb.

Odin

Well damn, i'm glad he got all that experience, and i'm also glad we are the club to take on the little experiment after his failings, fills me to the absolute brim with confidence. I'm glad all that experience is showing in such things like, criminally poor in game management, playing players when they are already injured leading to even longer lay offs etc.

All i ever hear is rebuild/transition i'm sick to the back teeth of it to be honest. Any little excuse to give him time and money despite all evidence saying it's an absolutely stupid idea.

It's the crux of the point though really isn't it, it's all hypotheticals, oh the team might become good, oh he may become a good manager given time, as it would with other managers but you wanna hand this responsibility over to one of the worst proven managers, just because he's an ex player, it's absolutely astoundingly dumb.
Well, in your world you're sick to the back of your teeth because I'm dumb. In my world we have different opinions on a situation which details and outcome are not known to any of us. I'll let you stay sick, and live happily on being dumb, old me. Thanks for the exchange, and good evening to you!

fergiesarmy1

I was getting at the only reason he is our manager is that he scored the winner in a CL final. Not because the quality of his management.
Availability was also a key factor ;)

One aspect of his management that no one should be calling him out for is his man management surely? Been no signs of disharmony in this squad and players willing to play when not 100% in nearly every area. Pretty sure all 3 previous managers lost the support of some/most of the players even LVG players were ignoring the infamous critic emails, If they weren’t behind him they wouldn’t play.

DomesticTadpole

Availability was also a key factor ;)

One aspect of his management that no one should be calling him out for is his man management surely? Been no signs of disharmony in this squad and players willing to play when not 100% in nearly every area. Pretty sure all 3 previous managers lost the support of some/most of the players even LVG players were ignoring the infamous critic emails, If they weren’t behind him they wouldn’t play.
I think the players want Ole to succeed. They like him. Some probably know that with a new manager in they will be out the door. If they are sticking with Ole they have to back him fully, not undermine him. They also need lots of options for signings. If it is just Maddison and Sancho then we might just waste the summer. We need European football to attract talent, especially if they do not want to have to compensate players for lack of it with money. With no European football as I say they will need to pay massive wages for mercenaries or sign players who will not improve us to the next level. We are now suffering for years of the club being mishandled.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Why do people attack Ed and neglect Ole's hand in not replacing the players we sold. Ole is very responsible for the thin squad we have now because of his short sightedness and policy of "waiting for the right fit"

The evidence is there, Ole has said he is responsible for incomings and outgoings and has the backing of the board. He has said he has the final say on the players we want, unless he is lying. Now look at the players we were linked with by tier 1 in the summer - Maguire James AWB Eriksen Dybala Longstaff Aarons and Diop if I recall correctly

Maguire and AWB were signed so that cancels them out along with Aarons and Diop who plays in the same position as them. James was also signed. Longstaff was overpriced, Dybala and Eriksen did not want to come here.

So how is this Ed's fault for not signing an AM when Ole's only targets are Eriksen and Dybala who did not want to come here. How is it Ed's fault for not signing an RW when Ole did not target a right winger because we're waiting for Sancho. How is it Ed's fault for not signing a DM when Ole's only target is an overpriced Longstaff. How is it Ed's fault for not signing a striker when Ole himself said there were strikers available but none was the right fit. How is it Ed's fault for not signing a striker in January when Ole's only target is Haaland who we couldn't get for reasons Ole approved of

You might think I'm defending Woodward but I'm not. I'm just questioning the people who complain about how thin our squad is or how our squad is not good enough and fail to blame Ole for this.

It's Ole's job to target players and bring them to Ed to get. Ole and his transfer comittee targeted impossible players in the summer like Eriksen, Longstaff and Dybala who did not want to come to us or were overpriced and neglected players like Van De Beek, Ziyech, Roca, Rodri, Olmo etc who were available. Yet when we don't sign anyone and neglect the players that were available we complain how Ole wasn't backed when it was Ole that targeted the impossible players and neglected the available ones in the first place. Ole then decides to wait for players like Sancho to be available in the next year and neglect other alternatives like Olmo, Under etc who are available. Yet we complain that out squad is thin

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

LVG also did well against City if memory serves.

4-2 at OT and a 1-0 win at the Etihad. As well as 1 draw 1 loss.

Of course. Don't tell the Ole In crowd that though, they'll need to find a new hoop to jump through for their mental gymnastics display.

fergiesarmy1

I think the players want Ole to succeed. They like him. Some probably know that with a new manager in they will be out the door. If they are sticking with Ole they have to back him fully, not undermine him. They also need lots of options for signings. If it is just Maddison and Sancho then we might just waste the summer. We need European football to attract talent, especially if they do not want to have to compensate players for lack of it with money. With no European football as I say they will need to pay massive wages for mercenaries or sign players who will not improve us to the next level. We are now suffering for years of the club being mishandled.
Can’t disagree with that, getting champions league is going to be tough but it’s not unachievable. I think Ole said in the last week 6 players are needed which sounds about right. I just don’t trust Ed and the Glazers to close the number one choices as they look like they want to do it on the cheap now. This haggling over £5-£10m for Fernandes is a joke now. If they end up doing the deal on the last day it’s negligent as we play Wolves the following day so unlikely to be ready to start a game and Chelsea 2 weeks later which is huge in the league chase for 4th spot obviously when he could have already been acclimatising now.

If we don’t sign him at all then we are just negligent given the state of our midfield.

L1nk

Well, in your world you're sick to the back of your teeth because I'm dumb. In my world we have different opinions on a situation which details and outcome are not known to any of us. I'll let you stay sick, and live happily on being dumb, old me. Thanks for the exchange, and good evening to you!
So that's it? You can't actually disprove anything i've said? Shocker. Opinions can differ sure, but then there are facts you cannot dispute and the fact is you are pro Ole in based on zero evidence other than what you are hoping and wishing for, and that he used to play for us. For some reason because I rely more on fact and what can be seen by everyone, that makes me a "sick" person? Absolutely mind boggling the fairytale land some people live in

fergiesarmy1

Of course. Don't tell the Ole In crowd that though, they'll need to find a new hoop to jump through for their mental gymnastics display.
Well they both had at a lot longer at the club than Ole has had so far also but don’t let that get in they way of your mental gymnastics.

DomesticTadpole

Can’t disagree with that, getting champions league is going to be tough but it’s not unachievable. I think Ole said in the last week 6 players are needed which sounds about right. I just don’t trust Ed and the Glazers to close the number one choices as they look like they want to do it on the cheap now. This haggling over £5-£10m for Fernandes is a joke now. If they end up doing the deal on the last day it’s negligent as we play Wolves the following day so unlikely to be ready to start a game and Chelsea 2 weeks later which is huge in the league chase for 4th spot obviously when he could have already been acclimatising now.

If we don’t sign him at all then we are just negligent given the state of our midfield.
They are useless.

Alabaster Codify7

Well they both had at a lot longer at the club than Ole has had so far also but don’t let that get in they way of your mental gymnastics.

I've stuck to the same line since the summer, mate. No bending and moving goalposts from me. You may disagree with my opinion and views on the situation but one thing you can never say is I haven't been consistent with them and haven't tried moving goalposts to fit them.

fergiesarmy1

I've stuck to the same line since the summer, mate. No bending and moving goalposts from me. You may disagree with my opinion and views on the situation but one thing you can never say is I haven't been consistent with them and haven't tried moving goalposts to fit them.
You were just using some of the few good games from LVG and Jose who have had nearly 3 times as long as Ole as produce them, if Ole gets 3 years we might get to double figures good games!

No issue with your opinion but at least be fair when he hasn’t had the same length of time to compare number of games worth recalling.

RollieOle

When you add 140m worth of transfers to a team that finished sixth you don't expect to finish 5th. Leicester and Chelsea dont have better squads than us plus Chelsea had a transfer ban last summer. Also the squad is the manager fault as are the injuries. We needed reinforcement in the midfield ole decided to spend all his budget on defense. The manager certainly is the problem. So is woodward. They are both way out of their depth.
When you remove a starting stricker, 2 starting midfielders and dont replace them you do.

Chelsea and Leciester have a far better sqaud than we do. Only Pogba and Rashford would walk into there squad easily and how long have they been injured for?

How do you you that Ole refused to sign any players for midfield? Are you privy to the discussions between Ed Woodward and Ole? There is things you can critisise Ole for sure, no need to invent things however.

RollieOle

....and add to the fact that the clearing out plans aren't as competent as we first thought.

That has to be blamed on Ed (for prioritizing selling first) and also Solskjaer (for believing the squad is good enough).

Injury hit us hard, but that's not an excuse. Don't get me wrong though, I still would let Ole taking the helm until January 2021.
The players that left needed to go, we dont know what kind of influence they where in the changing room (apart from Lukaku who we know was extremely negative.)

We dont know if Ole thinks the squad is good enough, he probably doesnt, but he cant come out publicly and say it. Remember when Jose did and the backlash that followed?

Ole hasnt been perfect, but no manager ever has, he is however our manager and deserves our full backing, removing Ole and bringing in a new manager is not going to fix the club, the issues run far deeper than that.

RollieOle

Last season Leicester were 9th and we were 6th. We spent 150m and bought their defender while they spent 100m. How did they come to have a better squad than us with this? Maybe it has something to do with their managers? :rolleyes:
We also sold our main goalscorer, and 2 starting midfielders without replacing them. Leicester recruited very well bring in the young Turkish defender (Also Leicesters recruitment has been far better than ours for the past 5 years).

I think that has more to do with it. Jose couldnt do it, LVG couldnt do it, and they are the most decorated managers in the game. The issues run far deeper than tge manager.

Alabaster Codify7

You were just using some of the few good games from LVG and Jose who have had nearly 3 times as long as Ole as produce them, if Ole gets 3 years we might get to double figures good games!

No issue with your opinion but at least be fair when he hasn’t had the same length of time to compare number of games worth recalling.

Fair enough.

jamesjimmybyrondean

When you remove a starting stricker, 2 starting midfielders and dont replace them you do.

Chelsea and Leciester have a far better sqaud than we do. Only Pogba and Rashford would walk into there squad easily and how long have they been injured for?

How do you you that Ole refused to sign any players for midfield? Are you privy to the discussions between Ed Woodward and Ole? There is things you can critisise Ole for sure, no need to invent things however.
Mate Ole literally said there were strikers available but they weren't the right fit. Also Ole is the one that brings list of players for the clubs to buy. Now tell me the midfielders we were 'strongly' linked with apart from Longstaff - who was overpriced and Eriksen and Dybala - who didn't want to come here

RocketRed

Supports
Liverpool
Regarding OGS and his view of Klopp taking four years to get this point. In season one under Klopp, LFC reached a Europa final. Season two the team reached the Champions League. Season three they reached a Champions League final and finished top four again Season four they won the CL and amassed 97 league points. Season five, runaway league leaders and in the CL knockouts.

In season one OGS failed to get top four. In season two you've had your worst start for more than 30 years. He’s already well behind schedule when it comes to emulating Klopp.

el3mel

We also sold our main goalscorer, and 2 starting midfielders without replacing them. Leicester recruited very well bring in the young Turkish defender (Also Leicesters recruitment has been far better than ours for the past 5 years).

I think that has more to do with it. Jose couldnt do it, LVG couldnt do it, and they are the most decorated managers in the game. The issues run far deeper than tge manager.
Whose responsibility is that ? Isn't it our manager who makes choices during summer market to sell these and prioritize positions over other to spend ? Since the guy himself said it was his choice to spend the majority of the budget on defense rather than attack or midfield even while knowing Herrera and Fellaini left and he didn't fancy Lukaku. Beside he said loads of times he's the one who has the final say in transfers. He was the one who thought prioritizing defense is more important than getting a midfielder or attacker replacement.

“I’ll always have the final say on transfers,” the manager said. “No one comes in the door without me saying yes. It has to be that way, even though signing players is a process involving other members of staff. I don’t really speak to agents, because I have nothing to do with the money side of it, but the final decision on who becomes a Manchester United player will be mine.”
The fact that our squad looks far worse now than the team Ole inherited after a full summer and 150m spent is something that should be used against Ole, not an excuse.

fergiesarmy1

Regarding OGS and his view of Klopp taking four years to get this point. In season one under Klopp, LFC reached a Europa final. Season two the team reached the Champions League. Season three they reached a Champions League final and finished top four again Season four they won the CL and amassed 97 league points. Season five, runaway league leaders and in the CL knockouts.

In season one OGS failed to get top four. In season two you've had your worst start for more than 30 years. He’s already well behind schedule when it comes to emulating Klopp.
Season one is this season.

Odin

Why do people attack Ed and neglect Ole's hand in not replacing the players we sold. Ole is very responsible for the thin squad we have now because of his short sightedness and policy of "waiting for the right fit"

The evidence is there, Ole has said he is responsible for incomings and outgoings and has the backing of the board. He has said he has the final say on the players we want, unless he is lying. Now look at the players we were linked with by tier 1 in the summer - Maguire James AWB Eriksen Dybala Longstaff Aarons and Diop if I recall correctly

Maguire and AWB were signed so that cancels them out along with Aarons and Diop who plays in the same position as them. James was also signed. Longstaff was overpriced, Dybala and Eriksen did not want to come here.

So how is this Ed's fault for not signing an AM when Ole's only targets are Eriksen and Dybala who did not want to come here. How is it Ed's fault for not signing an RW when Ole did not target a right winger because we're waiting for Sancho. How is it Ed's fault for not signing a DM when Ole's only target is an overpriced Longstaff. How is it Ed's fault for not signing a striker when Ole himself said there were strikers available but none was the right fit. How is it Ed's fault for not signing a striker in January when Ole's only target is Haaland who we couldn't get for reasons Ole approved of

You might think I'm defending Woodward but I'm not. I'm just questioning the people who complain about how thin our squad is or how our squad is not good enough and fail to blame Ole for this.

It's Ole's job to target players and bring them to Ed to get. Ole and his transfer comittee targeted impossible players in the summer like Eriksen, Longstaff and Dybala who did not want to come to us or were overpriced and neglected players like Van De Beek, Ziyech, Roca, Rodri, Olmo etc who were available. Yet when we don't sign anyone and neglect the players that were available we complain how Ole wasn't backed when it was Ole that targeted the impossible players and neglected the available ones in the first place. Ole then decides to wait for players like Sancho to be available in the next year and neglect other alternatives like Olmo, Under etc who are available. Yet we complain that out squad is thin
Did you get access to the clubs list of targets? OGS has said there won't be anyone coming in that he doesn't want in the squad. That doesn't mean the club gets him any player he wants, at all costs - and rightly so. My take, be it right or not: blame him for those we keep and those we get. Those we don't get you can blame on a toxic atmosphere around the club, inept negotiators/higher management, lack of managerial pull, local climate and a whole lot of other factors. In what proportion, you'd need to read the minds of those rejecting an offer, be it clubs or players. Just my two pence...

hobbers

So from the horses mouth then Ole and Ed deliberately focused our budget on two defenders at the expense of midfield and up front, even while losing 2 first team midfielders and 2 first team strikers.

And we did that because Ole wanted to improve the defence and control games.... Well that really worked out well because now we only win when we're the underdogs sitting deep and counterattacking. So much for needing to control games better.

It's quite incredible really. Ole waiting on a player like Sancho who is never in his right mind going to want to come and play for him. Like Moyes and Bale all over again.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Are you? Im just stating facts, he spent his entire budget on defense and that was his choice

Ole's words "We did spend the majority of our summer transfer money in the last window on Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire because I felt we needed to defend better but also dominate and control games more."

He knew Lukaku was going to leave well before the summer transfer window becuase Lukaku told him shortly after he was made permanent. Lukaku confirmed this in his interview. He also knew Herrera was on his way out, and what did he do? Spend 150m on defenders and loan our best one out. Ole at the wheel.

AshRK

Whose responsibility is that ? Isn't it our manager who makes choices during summer market to sell these and prioritize positions over other to spend ? Since the guy himself said it was his choice to spend the majority of the budget on defense rather than attack or midfield even while knowing Herrera and Fellaini left and he didn't fancy Lukaku. Beside he said loads of times he's the one who has the final say in transfers. He was the one who thought prioritizing defense is more important than getting a midfielder or attacker replacement.

The fact that our squad looks far worse now than the team Ole inherited after a full summer and 150m spent is something that should be used against Ole, not an excuse.
But you have to realise we need a major overhaul. Lukaku has confirmed he wanted to leave in March itself so why would you want to force a player to stay on. There can only be two things that might have happened a) Ole was content with this squad or b) the board failed to back him as he expected. I chose to believe the later as it was Ole who said in April he will be making major changes with new players and then in July after we bought AWB he said he is looking for 3 more players and only to reduce that number to 1. All in all it has been poor stuff by the board and even Ole for not coming out open with the issue.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So from the horses mouth then Ole and Ed deliberately focused our budget on two defenders at the expense of midfield and up front, even while losing 2 first team midfielders and 2 first team strikers.

And we did that because Ole wanted to improve the defence and control games.... Well that really worked out well because now we only win when we're the underdogs sitting deep and counterattacking. So much for needing to control games better.

It's quite incredible really. Ole waiting on a player like Sancho who is never in his right mind going to want to come and play for him. Like Moyes and Bale all over again.
What do you mean by from the horses mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.