Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickosaur

Love Ole.

Cant help but feel he's a little out of his depth. But who would be available and a better option? I think it's probably best to back him and start a clear out.

There are about 12 members of the squad that should be leaving before Ole does.

JohnnyKills

He hasn't had the opportunity to buy any players, so has basically been working with the train wreck of a squad bequeathed to him by his predecessors. He has been further hampered by the fact that the squad is not fit enough to play in the way he would like, a situation which again is the consequence of the actions of his predecessors.

Quite simply, there isn't enough to allow a reasonable judgement to be made on his suitability. What can be said in his favour though is that he has at least started to identify some of the problems.

He is our manager, and he needs to be supported. The confirmation of Mike Phelan as his assistant looks like a positive move, and a statement that the board is prepared to back him.

What is the alternative? We could dismiss Ole, and bring in yet another 'star' manager. Said person would come in with a whole raft of demands, but with no guarantees whatsoever. Will Ole win us the title in the next three years - almost certainly not. Would some other manager achieve that feat - almost certainly not.

The time for playing manager merry-go-round at the club has to end, and it might as well end now. I think the Solskjaer-Phelan combination has just as good a chance as any of delivering a marked improvement, and perhaps in time restoring the club to the position of genuine contenders for the major titles. We are a long way off being there at present, and continually changing direction - the inevitable consequence of flitting from one big name manager to another - isn't going to get us there any sooner.
So why did we hire him then?

JohnnyKills

No matter what side you're on, you have to feel sorry for Ole.
Tbh I find it hard to feel sorry for anyone earning the money these guys are on. There are a lot of people doing far more valuable things that get paid a fraction of what top players and managers earn.

That doesn't mean we should subject them to personal abuse, of course not. And I'm sure OGS is a nice guy, he certainly comes across that way. But if he didn't want the scrutiny and pressure, he could always have stayed at Molde.

johanovic

There are 3 main reasons for the state we are in:
Moyes
Van Gaal
Mourinhio

This trio of wisemen got more than 800 million pounds to spend, spent most of it badly and that's why we are in the current state we are in. OGS came in and gave us some hope after Mourinho made Old Trafford seem like a Theatre of horror. OGS has not had a preseason or transfer window yet but some are willing to write him off already. I am sure many of those were screaming in joy when we won PSG and other matches in that period. We have a squad full of lazy players, some think they are way better than are, some are just not good enough and there is nobody able to turn this current set of players into PL contenders. We all know this and the plain thruth is there for all to see, we do not have good enough players. It's as simple as that. Give OGS time to get his team together and then judge him. He's like the firefigther called to a fire and I belive he will make some eat their words.

izec

I hope he resigns himself. The club isn't sacking.
He isnt resigning with these wages. Doesnt need to work the rest of his life after United. His 'reputation' may take a hit, but it was worth it financially to take the risk. And if it goes wrong, he will find a football job in Norway at some point.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s a lose lose situation but announcing Phelan as assistant manager and then sacking him along with Ole a few days later would mean Woodward has reached his final form.

bleedred

Be interested to know where @bleedred and @Dec9003 now stand on this...?

Neither have been seen in here since May 5th - the exact same date for both.
Are you so butt hurt that I called you and others out for being hypocrites and knee jerks?.:lol::lol:

My position remains the same, I will judge him next season and I wont be flip flopping around it like you did!

Tony Babangida

Nor is wasting another transfer kitty and another champions league spot just to sack him next year
Feck it, yeah let’s sack him then. Tear his posters off the wall at Carrington and burn the 20legend banner while we’re at it. He’s done nothing to deserve a chance here.

Mainoldo

Moyes
Van Gaal
Mourinhio

This trio of wisemen got more than 800 million pounds to spend, spent most of it badly and that's why we are in the current state we are in. OGS came in and gave us some hope after Mourinho made Old Trafford seem like a Theatre of horror. OGS has not had a preseason or transfer window yet but some are willing to write him off already. I am sure many of those were screaming in joy when we won PSG and other matches in that period. We have a squad full of lazy players, some think they are way better than are, some are just not good enough and there is nobody able to turn this current set of players into PL contenders. We all know this and the plain thruth is there for all to see, we do not have good enough players. It's as simple as that. Give OGS time to get his team together and then judge him. He's like the firefigther called to a fire and I belive he will make some eat their words.
You’ve just listed 3 managers wasting money. Save this and i hope you come back next year telling me about 4.

Mainoldo

It’s a lose lose situation but announcing Phelan as assistant manager and then sacking him along with Ole a few days later would mean Woodward has reached his final form.
Who gives a damn, he’s not going to improve his reputation anyway.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Feck it, yeah let’s sack him then. Tear his posters off the wall at Carrington and burn the 20legend banner while we’re at it. He’s done nothing to deserve a chance here.
He is a legend of player and always will be. He is however not a legendary manager. He isnt even a good manager or a proven manager. Beeing a legendary player has nothing to do with it.
Might as well make Gary Neville and Scholes managers too while we are at it.

SteveW

The caf used to be better than this. Feels like Twitter on here these days.

johanovic

You’ve just listed 3 managers wasting money. Save this and i hope you come back next year telling me about 4.
I listed the bloody reason for why we are in this mess. I will judge OGS when he's had time to start this rebuild as I dont have your wisdom to see the future but I also belive in giving people a chance to prove their worth.

Mainoldo

I listed the bloody reason for why we are in this mess. I will judge OGS when he's had time to start this rebuild as I dont have your wisdom to see the future but I also belive in giving people a chance to prove their worth.
Let me save you blind hope. He’s going to fail...

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Credit where it's due, took five years but he finally got Cardiff playing good football.

Rojofiam

Couldn't beat 2 relegated teams to end the season which could be the difference between our season starting July 25th instead of August 10th.

Players should get blame but Ole's gotta get some of the blame too. There is also the fact that since the Palace away game we haven't been the better side in any game. Again, you can put blame on the players but blame also has to go on the manager for going 3 months and having no answers, Cardiff & Huddersfield really put an exclamation on it. 11 points from 27 in the run-in, needed just 17 to get top 4. draw with Everton and beat Huddersfield and it would have had us going into the Cardiff game with top 4 on the line.

So what happens if the same thing happens to start the season and at the end of October we are in 12th place 10 points off top 4? Do we stick with him?
When Klopp took over at Liverpool, they sat at 10th. That was at the beginning of October, so he had around 8 months to fix things. At the end of the season, they finished 8th on 60 pts. Hardly a good achievement for a world class manager, right? Check how bad their squad was. We are in a very similar situation: a lot of deadwood needs to be cleared out and a massive rebuild needs to start.

Their rebuild did start, and in the next 2 years, they managed 76 and 75 points respectively, which is a huge improvement on their first season. This season, they managed 97 points, and it goes without saying that currently we can only dream of a point tally like that.

Klopp had 7 transfer windows to shape his team and signed 13 players, whilst almost spending 450m. The situation was somewhat similar at City, but Guardiola managed to turn things around after a single season, because that City squad was probably better than 15/16 Liverpool and 18/19 Man United, as they had won the title in 2014 and Guardiola had Kompany, Sterling, Agüero, De Bruyne, Silva and Fernandinho to work with from the first day. Not to mention he spent around 600 million for City to be where they are today.

What we need is to give Solskjaer time and trust (which I believe we will do) and start doing a massive overhaul with a clear vision towards what we want to do. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho had completely different philosophies and as a result, we always finished between 64 and 70 points with Mourinho's 2nd season being the only exception. The reality is that we probably wasted 5 years for nothing.

What I'm trying to say is even proven, world class managers like Klopp and Pep couldn't do a miracle with shitty squads and since we've seen van Gaal and Mourinho - 2 of the most charismatic and most proven managers of the last 20 years - lose the dressing room and see things go south, which eventually resulted in them losing their job, there's absolutely nothing that suggests that bringing in a world class manager with a good track record will suddenly have us challenging for the title.

Sacking Ole now wouldn't make any sense

Reactions: Invictus

johanovic

He is a legend of player and always will be. He is however not a legendary manager. He isnt even a good manager or a proven manager. Beeing a legendary player has nothing to do with it.
Did we not try legendary managers in Van Gaal and Mourinho?

UnofficialDevil

Did we not try legendary managers in Van Gaal and Mourinho?
So what is that supposed to mean? You sign a world class striker and he flops so you then go on to sign an unproven unwanted striker instead? to make it worst we are talking about rebuilding United with a completely inexperienced manager when the other top 4 teams have the best managers in the world. Yeah makes sense.

johanovic

Let me save you blind hope. He’s going to fail...
Can't you read? Did I not say to you I want him to have at least a transfer window, preason and then time to get his team playing. Are we gonna fire managers monthly from now on?

izec

Was always opposed to Ole getting the interim position anyway. Because he was a legend and seeing him go would hurt. I wanted Blanc, far more experienced and while he knows the club, he isnt as rooted into our history and pals with everyone around. Once Ole got the job, the plan was to wait til the end of the season and then source out a new manager and DoF in the meantime and make a decision at the end of the season. Plus when we gave the full time job to Ole, we were already starting to struggle. Dont get his appointment at all.

The thing to do is to appoint a top DoF from outside United and hire a modern and good manager with some track record and pedigree, not the nonsense we see currently going on. That should have happened by now and Ole should have been thanked today for the interim job he has done and we move on. Now we are in a mess again. Sacking a legend will be painful and will take a lot of time, the fanbase divided and all that. Ridiculous.

Tony Babangida

Yeah I take your point, and perhaps he shouldn’t have been given the job. But as he was, it would be pretty disgusting treatment of a club legend to sack him before giving him a proper chance. There’s no guarantee anybody we get in will do any better anyway.

f_to_z

We all like Ole and wish him success. Lets give him this summer and one season then decide. Thats the least we can do. I dont think it can get any worse. Although by December next season if the good results dont happen there will be so much pressure on him.

SteveW

When Klopp took over at Liverpool, they sat at 10th. That was at the beginning of October, so he had around 8 months to fix things. At the end of the season, they finished 8th on 60 pts. Hardly a good achievement for a world class manager, right? Check how bad their squad was. We are in a very similar situation: a lot of deadwood needs to be cleared out and a massive rebuild needs to start.

Their rebuild did start, and in the next 2 years, they managed 76 and 75 points respectively, which is a huge improvement on their first season. This season, they managed 97 points, and it goes without saying that currently we can only dream of a point tally like that.

Klopp had 7 transfer windows to shape his team and signed 13 players, whilst almost spending 450m. The situation was somewhat similar at City, but Guardiola managed to turn things around after a single season, because that City squad was probably better than 15/16 Liverpool and 18/19 Man United, as they had won the title in 2014 and Guardiola had Kompany, Sterling, Agüero, De Bruyne, Silva and Fernandinho to work with from the first day. Not to mention he spent around 600 million for City to be where they are today.

What we need is to give Solskjaer time and trust (which I believe we will do) and start doing a massive overhaul with a clear vision towards what we want to do. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho had completely different philosophies and as a result, we always finished between 64 and 70 points with Mourinho's 2nd season being the only exception. The reality is that we probably wasted 5 years for nothing.

What I'm trying to say is even proven, world class managers like Klopp and Pep couldn't do a miracle with shitty squads and since we've seen van Gaal and Mourinho - 2 of the most charismatic and most proven managers of the last 20 years - lose the dressing room and see things go south, which eventually resulted in them losing their job, there's absolutely nothing that suggests that bringing in a world class manager with a good track record will suddenly have us challenging for the title.

Sacking Ole now wouldn't make any sense
Spot on.

Moriarty

The first happened even before my time. The Anfield one was 69/70; I only started going to matches and taking a serious interest in 70/71. I’ve just looked at the Wikipedia summary of the 69/70 season and it confirmed my memories of the Wilf era; we were either great or awful. 5-1 defeat at Newcastle followed by 7-0 hammering of West Brom. Generally decent attacking play but awful defending. Not just Ure; Edwards and James were terrible also.

Back to the present: I think it’s fair to say that Wilf was given no chance at all to succeed, but despite it all managed to produce a fair number of excellent performances. I’d be more confident backing Ole if we were inconsistent. But we’ve been consistently shite for a while now.
I remember the semi-final saga against Leeds. I went to Burnden Park for the second replay that we lost 0-1. That was deflating and probably worse than the LC semi defeat to City when Stepney pushed an indirect free kick into the net from Frannie Lee. I thought it was that season we beat QPR 8-1 but that was the year before. That was a funny game. 4-1 up with a few minutes to go and the crowd started to leave. We scored 4 more.It was a night match so we stayed to the end then jumped on one of the buses on the Chester Road. A couple of old timers asked me what the final score was and when I said 8-1, one of them thought I was taking the piss and threatened me with a thick ear.

haram

Moyes
Van Gaal
Mourinhio

How can someone post this and not realise it isn't the managers :lol:. Ole will have his head cut off by Christmas as well.

johanovic

So what is that supposed to mean? You sign a world class striker and he flops so you then go on to sign an unproven unwanted striker instead? to make it worst we are talking about rebuilding United with a completely inexperienced manager when the other top 4 teams have the best managers in the world. Yeah makes sense.
So this coaching team of OGS, Carrick,Phelan,Mckenna are completly inexperinced? We tried a proven PL manager in Moyes, dutch total football expert in Van Gaal and the most arrogant manager in the world in Mourinho. They spent a shitload of money and but us in the state we are in today. But to blame OGS despite not having signed a player yet or had a preseson yet is just astounding

UnofficialDevil

So in his premiership experience he relegated Cardiff.
Then in his first full season back as manager at Molde he finished fifth in the league, and before joining us he finished 2nd 5 points behind the title winners in the Norwegean league
Yet he is the manager that will turn things around for Manchester United when City Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea and Arsenal are all in the European cup finals at their best and are winning the league with 90 plus points.

Status
Not open for further replies.