Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Aug 14, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Sounds like they do old school donkey work where you run until you drop. It's moved on from that in England now.
  2. Aug 14, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Easy to say that when you fake an injury so you don't have to take part in a super intense pre season.
  3. Aug 14, 2019

Adnan Full Member

It was his first competitive game since the awful injury he suffered in April. It's not a surprise he wasn't at his best.
  4. Aug 14, 2019

Adnan Full Member

Carrick was bought from West Ham by Spurs at 22 when they were in the Championship. In his first season at WHL he was very up and down and there was many fans who suspected he was a club signing rather than a manager/coach signing.
  5. Aug 14, 2019

Volumiza Full Member

That's very true and I'm sure the Arsenal game won't reflect his season but there were some folk on here genuinely wanting us to pay £50m for him. Insanity takes over in transfer windows.
  6. Aug 14, 2019

Volumiza Full Member

Good post. Some managers, whether in football or normal industry, need time to assess things and make necessary changes. Not all changes can be made instantly. The key is not just looking for a manager who can bring instant success (nice as that would be) but to look for analytical managers that can identify things that are wrong and make changes that bring stability and success.
  7. Aug 14, 2019

Jules_T Full Member

Great post. Thanks.

I agree that times have changed. He won't get 6 years. But I hope the supporters and the directors give him a couple of years at least.

He has said it will take more than one window. I know a lot of people think the transfer window was disappointing but I think we've recruited well. The ones we've chosen are great. The defence is improved and in Daniel James we've acquired a new fan favourite if the passion in his celebration is anything to go by.

The three players we bought seem to be honoured to be in the team and see United as the peak of their career.

If it takes us a couple of years to collect these sorts of players and also slowly bring through academy players who would die for the club then I for one will be patient .

United needs to be full of players that care, work for each other and celebrate together. In today's world that will take a while to amass a squad like that.

But hopefully not 6 years.
  8. Aug 14, 2019

lysglimt Full Member

Carrick was good at West Ham - but he wasn't brilliant.
    There was nothing in Fergusons results in 88/89 and 89/90 that earned him his time. He earned his time because our board at the time managed to see beyond the results and look a few years ahead. We are now finally moving in the right direction. I haven't been this excited about Our youth set-up since the 92-generation. We are playing attractive football, we have persuaded a bunch of players to sign new contracts.

But it's stupid to expect miracles from OGS - he took over the worst mess I have experienced in my time as an United-fan, and he has worked miracles to correct a lot of it in just 8-9 months. True we might lose a top-6 position if we lose Pogba (even if I don't believe it). But I also think if OGS is given 2 more transfer Windows we will have a Squad that will easily get top-4 next season.
  9. Aug 14, 2019

RedDevilRoshi Full Member

Pin this post right to the top of this thread, in fact the whole forum. Excellent post!
  10. Aug 14, 2019

Volumiza Full Member

A good post in reply to a good post, especially the bit in bold. None of these 3 players will give anything but there all and none of them will be agitating for a move.
  11. Aug 14, 2019

M Utd Full Member

Great post and shows the difference between a club built on history rather than heavy investment with the aim of quick success.
    I just hope that those steering the club remember they are a football club as well as a global marketing brand. Football has moved on and United is a club that can make people rich. Unfortunately those who benefit may choose to do so without the club's best interest at heart. The team that Ole has put in place seems to have the club's best interest at heart as many are Utd through and through. I think that's a big step in the right direction.
    I think fans are divided, which tends to the case at clubs who are going through major transitions. There are those who demand immediate success and often quote "not competing for the title is not acceptable- after all we are Utd". There are those who would willingly wait for youth to develop and may not compete for a few years in the hope that the younger players brought in coupled with those coming through the academy bring success.
    I think the reality for most is a combination of wanting success but are aware these things take time. Yes we all want titles but we are likely going to need a few years of development before it's a reality.
  12. Aug 14, 2019

hocane New Member

Judging from matchday 1.
    John McGinn is twice the player longstaff is. McGinn is tenacious, quick, a good passer of the ball, a goal scorer and never stops running. Exactly the midfielder we need really. I believe also made the most tackles in matchday 1.
    I will follow him as much as i can this season.
  13. Aug 14, 2019

Mike Smalling New Member

Good post! I agree with everything.

What is most important to me, is that we see continued improvement over the coming years. I don't necessarily expect us to win the league in the next 2-3 seasons, but I want to see us bring in the right type of players that match the style of play we want to see and that can be here for a number of years. I hate to use them as a positive example, but we need to do the same as Liverpool. From the worst periods under Hodgson and Dalglish to back-to-back CL finals took them 5-6 seasons. It has not been a straight path for them, of course, but getting most of their signings right and implementing a clear philosophy has done the trick. We can and should emulate that and probably expect a similar timeline.
  14. Aug 14, 2019

Grande Full Member

This post should have it’s own thread.

I’d sign up. Not on being sure Solskjær will win the league, or the Champions league. Or the club world cup. But in believing that the way Busby and Ferguson built club is the way to go. Their tactics differed, but what they deemed important for a club, was mainly the same. From what I can see, more and more of these principles are being implemented in the club after having been left to smolder for a few years. But I only see the surface. So what I hope, is that Woodgate gets enough advice and is learning enough from his mistakes that he will see these broader changes as results, like Edwards amd his board managed with Ferguson in the late eighties. If they see the same development behind the scene that I get an impression of from the outside, I hope they have the patience most fans don’t, and back it up with money as well, as the club did with Busby and Ferguson.
  15. Aug 14, 2019

Spent the day before the Chelsea game watching the U18s. I'm sure the haters will find something negative in this too. "If he had been focused on the Chelsea game instead of watching the kids we wouldn't have had a sloppy first half."
  16. Aug 14, 2019

RedSky likes to kick 10-year-olds Scout

Which must be a huge boost to the U18s to see the boss watching them. A huge difference from Jose attitude. Great to see.
  17. Aug 14, 2019

El Zoido Full Member

I’m feeling good about Ole and the club in general at the moment. It definitely feels like we’re building the right sort of squad in terms of playstyle, attitude, commitment. We still have a long way to go, and there will certainly be many testing times this season, but I’m already getting a different feeling about this team. Rumours today about Ole looking to bin off Sanchez, get another negative legacy player off the books and continue to build for the future. Who knows where it’ll take us? I just want to enjoy watching the team again.
  18. Aug 14, 2019

Volumiza Full Member

I agree. Whether Ole will win us trophies remains to be seen but he's definitely altering the course we were on. I was a big fan of the signings we made and after Sunday, even more so. Committed players with great work ethics, great to see.

It will be a great burden lifted when Sanchez finally goes, hopefully the last time we make such a stupid and costly error.
  19. Aug 14, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Simon Stone in one of the interview with Howson said "Ole makes decisions which he feels is good for the club, Jose makes decision which is good for Jose". Not exactly word by word, just paraphrased it.

Ole has right ideas, hopefully he will be able to implement it.
  20. Aug 16, 2019

That's some prediction.
  21. Aug 16, 2019

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Feck me, is that actually genuine?! If so, feck.
  22. Aug 16, 2019

It is, you can click on that tweet.
  23. Aug 16, 2019

JustAGuest New Member

Can't believe he has left all that talent out of the first team by offering contract extensions for Jones, Smalling, Young and Mata.
  24. Aug 16, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

Are there many true united fan Solskjær haters? If so I hope they get a tight painful kick to the nuts each and every time they dare to criticise a club legend.
  25. Aug 18, 2019 at 11:34

rotherham_red Full Member

26. Aug 18, 2019 at 11:38

haram Full Member

Well Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Young are not starters because we’ve spent £130 million on two new defenders. Lukaku was sold but the money was essentially used on Maguire. Beyond that, Im not calling him a Glazer puppet, but it’s been one game.
  27. Aug 19, 2019 at 17:25

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

I think tonight will be Ole Gunnar’s first real test with his “own” team when supporters expects progress and results.

Our pre season and our first PL game has been a success, iMO 8/10. Lots of positives and against Chelsea we looked solid in defense and lethal up front. Maguire and Wan has been excellent and Dan James seems to have great potential. So far all our transfer targets has been on par or better as expected. 9/10 if we only judge the game against Chelsea.

Tonight I expect us to play on our front foot. Pressing high up and that we dominate possession. Let’s see how we react against a compact team who will be comfortable to let us dictate the tempo. If we’re one down or even after 60-70 minutes then what’s our plan B?

If Solskjaer has the answers to above questions then this can be a really good season. I’m excited to see if we can continue from last Sunday, my only real concern is our 4231 formation. I don’t like that we are so thin In midfield.
  28. Aug 19, 2019 at 17:28

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Not saying I agree/disagree but Rojo and Jones weren't really starters, barring injuries to the first 11, anyway.
  29. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:35

Lack of subs is baffling. Where is the plan B?!
  30. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:37

Kostur Full Member

Somebody tell him he can make subs. Keeping Lingard for so fecking long is a travesty.
  31. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:39

astracrazy New Member

Always feels to me like he just forgets all about it

We have been crying out for 2 pairs of fresh legs for the last 15mins
  32. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:40

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Poor today. Poor tactics on corners. Late with the subs. Not strong enough to appoint one pen taker for the club. Poor
  33. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:43

passing-wind Full Member

Supports:
    Pass & Move
    To be totally honest we have played much better than I anticipated, you could put it down to Wolves being poor but we have stifled much of their attacking play. If Shaw was even remotely useful defensively there's no chances to concede. Ole still has disgraceful tendencies and practices with game management, no established penalty taker, Rashford still on free kicks, the players all over the midfield losing possession to much and the late substitutions. He needs to take authority over these decisions, players are emotive and therefore lack hindsight they shouldn't be given privalges if not using them appropriately.

We are comfortably miles off of challenging for the league, I don't think Ole has enough as a manager / coach to to bridge that gap but the best he can offer us is consistency in getting top four amongst fighting the top 6.
  34. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:44

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

Be a manager and stop trying to be their fecking friend.

Letting players sort out penalty takers on the pitch is weak as piss. Show some authority and pick one.
  35. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:44

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

I really can't remember him being this afraid to make changes in Norway. He's been completely out of it since he came to England when it comes to subs.
  36. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:45

tob Full Member

I’m furious that he’s not putting Greenwood on!
  37. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:46

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Needed to make changes earlier.
  38. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:46

UNITED ACADEMY Full Member

I’m in shocked that he only started making sub with the game in 10 min to go.
  39. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:46

luke511 Full Member

2 game changing subs in the 88th minute, shite.
  40. Aug 19, 2019 at 21:46

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Greenwood with 2 mins. Pointless Ole. Really seen a poor side from Ole tonight