Pardew Draft QF: Eddy_JukeZ vs Himmanv

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Eddy_JukeZ

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Himannv

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Eddy_JukeZ

Himannv

Eddy_JukeZ Tactics

Building out from the back: I’m going to operate in a 3-2 set-up with Casillas also participating. Cafu and Zambrotta will stay wide to supply width with additional support from Ronaldo and Robben. Lewandowski will occasionally drop a bit deeper, perhaps bringing in a central defender with him to free up space for Robben and Ronaldo. The wide areas should be overloaded with Cafu flanking Robben and then Zambrotta flanking Ronaldo. If the need is there to go wide, we’ve got excellent duos there to spring an attack. The team also has 5 superb players on the ball in deeper areas along with a good GK on the ball, so there should be success in building up. The goal isn’t necessarily to invite the press now, but to attack quickly down the flanks if possible after building up to draw out the opposition. Ronaldo and Robben remain a threat to get in behind and with extra support on the flanks, the hope is to sometimes pin the opposition back. I do think my team is fairly athletic, so if space opens up at any point through a build-up passage, it should be primed to take advantage. Robben will stay wider than Ronaldo and Ronaldo’s somewhat close proximity to Lewandowski could lead to opportunities for him to spin out wide again making darting runs.

Final 3rd: Zambrotta and Cafu continue overlapping to provide width. Robben will stay wider than Ronaldo who again will be closer to central areas to make use of his goal-scoring. If the ball is lost, there’s a good ‘rest defense’ of a back 3 to combat potential counter attacks. Lewandowki acts as a reference point and even occasionally drops slightly into midfield pulling defenders with him to free up space for Ronaldo and Robben to get in behind. The team has 2 excellent aerial threats and arguably the greatest ever in Ronaldo. Ronaldo’s propensity to over-shoot might be a problem, but while Lewandowski is no Benzema, I think he provides a good foil for him still. And I trust the firepower in the front 3. 2 are excellent goal-getters and Robben is no slouch himself. Modric and Kroos are excellent at recycling the ball to pin pressure on the back 4.

Out of possession initially: So the goal again isn’t to press too high, but to be as compact as possible. Ronaldo vacates the left during opposition build-up phases to lessen his defensive work-load for tracking out wide. Lewandowski’s and Robben’s graft will again be useful to set pressing traps. The athleticism of the team(bar Kroos) should again help with minimizing the spaces afforded to opposition. Once the ball is won, the firepower of the front 3 should bear fruits. Nesta provides a better foil for Ramos than Varane and he’s an all-timer. And there’s 2 excellent full-backs in Cafu and Zambrotta. Zambrotta will be a bit higher up during opposition build-up phases to make use of his up and down running and to lessen Ronaldo's work-load in wider areas. Modric/Kroos can also receive support from Lewandowski dropping into midfield during pressing traps.

Out of possession in the team’s own final 3rd: Here I’ll resort to the back 5 system as it looks on paper. Nesta/Ramos/Alaba all have freedom to occasionally push up to follow an attacker if necessary. The flanks are overprotected(more-so on Robben’s side because of his graft), but we’ll look to be extremely compact to suffocate the opposition to potentially stifle his lack of width in his own attack. Ramos’ aggression should be negated somewhat in this system and I do believe his defending while not his best suit is underrated and he’s got the ability to be part of a stout defensive unit. If the ball is won in a deeper area, the pace of Robben and Ronaldo should hopefully prove deadly. The goal with an extra defender in the line-up is to conserve Ronaldo's stamina and have him fully energized for attacking situations. Robben will drop deeper than Ronaldo in these phases, but Ronaldo's threat to get in behind may cause the opposition to be wary of pushing more attackers down that side. Casillas is an excellent shot-stopper and he’s got a penchant for big time saves during his prime(2010 WC final being one of them).

And yes I've dropped Casemiro from my line-up, since I'm annoyed with him at the moment for United - If that costs me, so be it :D

Himannv Tactics

Formation: 4-3-3

Tactics:

• Possession based on the ball with Barca-style tactics
  • High press off the ball

Himannv

@Himannv Did you think about reinforcing with Ronaldinho?
I did, but I wanted to maintain as much work rate in my front 3 as possible. I did this with some thought of what I want the front 3 to be in future rounds if I go through as there's potential for a loss of work rate in some future picks and I didn't want to offset that.

Also, I kind of like Stoichkov in this system due to his off the ball work and pace, but additionally his versatility on the ball as he's a proper wide option with his left foot and he can cut in centrally and attack the goal as well.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Don't really get the Back 5 tactics. Feels very redundant and potentially giving away midfield superiority. Casemiro should be playing instead of Alaba. Cristiano is likely to score still.

Flawless team from Himannv.
Agree with this

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Since the vote seems to be anonymous, just wanted to mention I voted for myself. @Eddy_JukeZ please feel free to vote for yourself as well so that the numbers are balanced. Also, best of luck mate..
Sorry, messed that up. Can't change it unfortunately. Just tried.

prolifik

Don't love the back 5 for Eddy either.

Kroos and Modric can probably function in those roles, but I don't think it's a viable approach against a team that's already set up to monopolise possession.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Quality setup from Eddy but he really needs someone to replace Courtois. That said, it is a good use of Lahm at LB given what is in-
front of him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I reckon Eddy's counter-attacking strategy is fair given that is how Real picked good teams off and the likely balance of possession here. The midfield does look undermanned for the task in hand, however. If the idea of a back 3 was to shore things up - again viable enough for me - I wonder if it would have been an option to drop Lewandowski for Casemiro to balance off and man up that midfield? Another reason is that I'm not sure Lewa is the most optimal counter-attacking player nor the slickest complement to Robben and Ronaldo.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I reckon Eddy's counter-attacking strategy is fair given that is how Real picked good teams off and the likely balance of possession here. The midfield does look undermanned for the task in hand, however. If the idea of a back 3 was to shore things up - again viable enough for me - I wonder if it would have been an option to drop Lewandowski for Casemiro to balance off and man up that midfield? Another reason is that I'm not sure Lewa is the most optimal counter-attacking player nor the slickest complement to Robben and Ronaldo.
I loved Robben in that second striker role at WC 2014. Ronaldo and Robben are both in the highest echelon of counter-attacking threats too. My only misgiving is that Ronaldo was never a particularly good or willing back-to-goal operator relative to his physique and overall abilities.

Got to agree with the majority here that Modric/Kroos without a holder just doesn't seem quite right, given that they didn't seem to function that well as a double pivot before that third midfielder was introduced. Obviously the back five changes the dynamic a bit though. Also got to say that @Eddy_JukeZ is putting most of us to shame with the quality of his write-ups. Great stuff.