Pardew Draft R1: Eddy_JukeZ vs SirScholes

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Eddy_JukeZ

SirScholes

Eddy_JukeZ Tactics

Building out from the back: I’m going to try something perhaps unconventional, but it’ll be a variation of De Zerbi’s 2-4 shape Brighton use in build-up. The goal is to invite the press and then play out wide to Alaba/Zambrotta to then link-up with Ronaldo and Robben who might deal with isolation scenarios. Casemiro operates as the ‘screener’ in this set-up. I prefer Modric/Kroos to be deeper than him during build-up phases, but he’ll position himself to be the tip of a triangle on both sides of build-up. Modric/Varane on the right. Ramos/Kroos on the left. In this set-up Casemiro’s role is to typically recycle the ball back to the midfielder if they use him to relieve pressure and then they’ll play out wide or use one of the 3 forwards for a deeper line-breaking pass to bypass any incoming pass. This alleviates Casemiro’s frailties somewhat in receiving the ball with his back to his own goal, and has him at the tip with numerous options to pass to. I don’t trust him being press resistant like Modric and Kroos are, but as a water carrier with his passing being simplified next to Modric/Kroos, I trust him heavily. Robben will typically stay wider in this shape, while Ronaldo will drift inwards closer to Lewandowski. The goal will always be to invite the press and the team should always have a numerical superiority in build-up phases. If there’s a necessity to go long at times, Lewandowski is an excellent target man and can hold up the ball with his back towards a player. Ronaldo and Robben both carry a threat with their pace to get in behind as well. This is Ronaldo’s 2011-2012 version where he’s arguably at his athletic peak. The idea behind inviting a press is to potentially get Ronaldo and Robben in isolation scenarios once the press is broken.

Final 3rd: Modric and Kroos now play further up while Casemiro drops to form a back 3. Alaba will get forward a bit less, because Ronaldo won’t track back as much, but Zambrotta will overlap Robben constantly, freeing him up to cut inside for his specialty. Lewandowki acts as a reference point and even occasionally drops slightly into midfield pulling defenders with him to free up space for Ronaldo and Robben to get in behind. The team has 2 excellent aerial threats and arguably the greatest ever in Ronaldo. Ronaldo’s propensity to over-shoot might be a problem, but while Lewandowski is no Benzema, I think he provides a good foil for him still. And I trust the firepower in the front 3. 2 are excellent goal-getters and Robben is no slouch himself. Modric and Kroos act as roaming #8s in this set-up with both of them being excellent at recycling the ball to pin pressure on the opposing back 4.

Out of possession: Nothing crazy here. Normal shape. The goal isn’t to press too high. The team will try to set up pressing traps and utilize Lewandowski’s and even Robben’s graft to win the back in more of the midfield area. Then the team breaks forward considering the potent front 3. In more conventional defensive phases, I do think Ramos/Varane are a good pairing despite Ramos’ rashness. I also think Ramos in the 2015-2016 season actually defended extremely well and his performance in the CL final then was impressive(MOTM for the final)when Real Madrid ceded possession to Atleti. Their defensive record had them only concede 3 goals during the entire knockout run and Ramos played his part in that. Alaba is multi-faceted as a defender and can occasionally drift into central areas if necessary for defensive purposes. I think my back 4 is extremely athletic and Zambrotta also plays his part in that. Casillas is an excellent shot-stopper and he’s got a penchant for big time saves during his prime(2010 WC final being one of them).

SirScholes Tactics

5-3-1-1 or 3-5-2 when in possession

I'll not write war and peace about each player because you probably know them.

Defensive set up

3 Centre backs all in their normal position, Picchi and Ferri have partnered together. Going with Picchi as a sweeper, this helps with any balls over the top (vidic as we know didn't like this, also Zenga was not a GK that liked to come off his line), Picchi is also gifted at starting play from the back so again makes up for any short comings.
In front of these guys we have Simeone who will patrol in front, either side Cafu and Mihajlović have license to get forward and provide width, Mihajlović won't go as far where as Cafu as full freedom.
Whilst CR7 and Robben are outstanding I'm hoping because of Simeone and the 2 wing backs, I will always have a spare CB to double up on them without leaving Lewa free.

Midfield set up

As mentioned Simeone won't venture far, but he is there to link with Picchi starting play up, CR7 isn't a fan of tracking so if he is on the left we might have Cafu pretty clear down the right.
Saurez is my deep lying playmaker, he'll link with Zidane who has a little more freedom to carry the ball and draw players out of position.

Attack set up

Rivaldo and Rummenigge could be an interesting set up, Rivaldo in his favourite position playing left of the striker, both players are capable of moving wide and as one moves out the other can run central. Both players capable of scoring all types of goals, from range, in the air, Rummenigge in particular made a habit of scoring goals from awkward situations.

Overall
The principle behind the team was to pick players from the La Grande Inter team (having been assigned Inter), Picchi was their Captain and Saurez was the jewel of the crown. Then mix that with the flair and creativity that came from a manager who had coached Brazil and Real

SirScholes

only had a chance to a quick glimpse, love the tactical write of in and out of possession @Eddy_JukeZ

early thoughts are this is the set up we anticipated, and (although easier said than done) why we want to avoid that space behind, there isn’t a great deal of runners other than the front 3 (as good as they are)
Cafu vs CR7 would be a match for the ages at their peaks, both physical specimens.

Worth noting at this point Van Basten said Ferri was the toughest defender he ever faced, he is on that side with Cafu to try and keep Ronaldo off his feet.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Excellent write up @Eddy_JukeZ I like the thought in build up and how Casemiro is used.

For Sir Scholes I think you would have been better to play Suarez where Simeone is and use the latter as a defensive B2B. It is not Suarez's role at Inter but with a back three I think it would work.

SirScholes

Excellent write up @Eddy_JukeZ I like the thought in build up and how Casemiro is used.

For Sir Scholes I think you would have been better to play Suarez where Simeone is and use the latter as a defensive B2B. It is not Suarez's role at Inter but with a back three I think it would work.
Fair point to be honest

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Would be some game....modern Real vs some old school Italian defending.

SS's midfield looks a bit shaky on the defensive end with lots riding on Simeone. He's likely to be bullied in possession, but then his attack vs Eddie's defense is something I fancy will make things even.