Pearce on Welbeck.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
When he was challenged to pick out young players to look out for in the future, Pearce named several members of his Under-21 squad and also pinpointed a couple of promising teenagers.

“I think Theo Walcott has got the raw potential to be a helluva player,” he said.

“In a less glamorous position, I think that Joe Hart of Manchester City will be an international goalkeeper for many years. I hope Gabby Agbonlahor will keep improving and arrive on the England scene.

I saw an extremely good centre-forward at Hartlepool playing for the England U18s. He’s a lad called Daniel Welbeck who plays for Manchester United and he looks as though he could come on the scene as well. Victor Moses, maybe, from Crystal Palace.

http://www.thefa.com/England/U21s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/pearce_sunderland.htm

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Still a couple of years away from the first team - find it funny how certain people feel he should be thrown in without having seen him play.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
Still a couple of years away from the first team - find it funny how certain people feel he should be thrown in without having seen him play.
I think that since he's jumped from Academy to Reserves to the First Team squad in one season that it makes him appear ready. SAF will give him time. I still think he has a place at United in the future and his talent may shine more as he becomes older and stronger. I hope so. I really like his style of play.
It's good to see Pearce can see it too..

Red17

As a measure of how well thought of he is by Fergie et al, he's made the first team squad at about or slightly younger than Rossi did and that he was at Stamford Bridge with the squad is testament to it.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
The earlier he is exposed to first team football the quicker his development. It certainly wouldn't do him any harm to see some odd minutes coming off the bench next season when we've wrapped up the match. He is not the solution to our striking problems but like Fabregas at 16, he can be gradually introduced into the first team.

If he is good enough then he doesn't even need to be sent out on loan either.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If either of you watch any reserve football you will realise he isn't ready. One of the main reasons he is in the "first team" is because Dong is injured and Campbell and Brandy are out on loan. Now i am not discrediting the lad but I just feel he is one or two years away from the first team.

Epic

Having 7 subs in the league next season will really help him push through...fingers crossed

Chris H

Video Posting God
I think that since he's jumped from Academy to Reserves to the First Team squad in one season that it makes him appear ready. SAF will give him time. I still think he has a place at United in the future and his talent may shine more as he becomes older and stronger. I hope so. I really like his style of play.
It's good to see Pearce can see it too..
Hasn't actually played for the first team though. He trains with them because it helps in his development, but there's a massive distance between being good enough for the Reserves and being good enough for playing for United in the Premiership. Training with the team will make him more aware of what he needs to do to improve, but he'll need to play regular competitive matches to do so. I see a loan in the near future, a couple of cameos off the 7-man bench late in games that have already been decided does little for a young player's development.

It's generally just prodigies like Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi, or Bojan who go straight into the first team at such a young age.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Yes, watch the real games and you'll understand that he's not a better footballer than any of the current strikers. Is there something wrong with people when they want a player that is playing like Heskey at best and then still want him to be in the first squad. He will learn much more in the reserves than sitting on the bench day out and in. A loan is not a bad idea either. The PL is where the BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD PLAY. They do NOT play in the reserves, and therefor you can NOT say he's GREAT because he can score a GOAL in those games. How clear can you make it? Put Wayne Rooney in the reserves and he'll break the all time record for goals if you like. What I have seen from Welbeck is a very very young Saha. There are several things missing from his game before he can start making a serious impact. I wouldn't say no to having him on the bench when we rest players for simpler games and then let that be the real test. In Manchester United there is NO place for a bad desicion like you can do in some fucing coca cola team. That is the difference between being number one and being a midtable team.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Yes, watch the real games and you'll understand that he's not a better footballer than any of the current strikers. Is there something wrong with people when they want a player that is playing like Heskey at best and then still want him to be in the first squad. He will learn much more in the reserves than sitting on the bench day out and in. A loan is not a bad idea either. The PL is where the BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD PLAY. They do NOT play in the reserves, and therefor you can NOT say he's GREAT because he can score a GOAL in those games. How clear can you make it? Put Wayne Rooney in the reserves and he'll break the all time record for goals if you like. What I have seen from Welbeck is a very very young Saha. There are several things missing from his game before he can start making a serious impact. I wouldn't say no to having him on the bench when we rest players for simpler games and then let that be the real test. In Manchester United there is NO place for a bad desicion like you can do in some fucing coca cola team. That is the difference between being number one and being a midtable team.
I agree with much of what you say....although I wouldn't compare him to Saha at all. Danny doesn't have Saha's heading ability at all and is much more skilful with the ball at his feet. Welbeck has a languid style of running similar in style to Billy Whelan if anyone and it almost looks lazy. He has an amazing ability to glide past people. His awareness and decision making need loads of improvement which he will learn with time. With Danny I am not convinced that loaning him out so young will help him.....he is more likely to get all his skill kicked out of him in the lower leagues. I would like to see him put on a bit of beef first. And remember, last year he was playing in the U/18's a year ahead of his age and this year he is in the reserves ahead of schedule.