Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jericho

He's been out for nearly 2 years with what sounds like a serious knee injury, but that was never the real problem with him. If/when he returns to the first team we'll be back to the recurring knocks and niggles he picks up that will take him out for weeks/months at a time. You just could never rely on him. But it doesn't really matter now anyway, the team has long moved on and there's no way he could ever displace Varane or Maguire even if he could stay fit.

stevoc

I don't think social status was the point of his comment, but rather the fact that they never leave the basement. I dont think poor people drink pepsi.
They only drink flat Pepsi, they can't afford the fizzy stuff.

stevoc

People like you kind of make me hope you get some debilitating injury that prevents you from performing your job and your employer treats you like you want Phil Jones to be treated.

The club has showed patience and faith in him, one of the few PL medal winners in our squad.

Also, you denying the fact that almost evey6club has or has recently had a player (or several) who is struggling with recurring injuries, just shows how little you know.
Hoping someone gets injured and loses their job in the Phil Jones thread classy, getting very nasty in here.

This thread has a clusterfeck the last few pages.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

This is how the article starts off -

Alaria is a clever girl and old enough to understand, Phil Jones says, and he gets a sick feeling just thinking about that day in Hale. He was strolling with his three-year-old daughter, pushing her little sister, Rayah, in the pram. A workman walked past. And the guy suddenly just unloaded. “Hey, Phil . . . You’re shit. You’re shit!”

Alaria turned to look at him. “You know when a little kid will ask you 20 times before you give them the answer?” Jones says. “It was one of them. ‘What is that? Daddy, Daddy, what is that?’

I got so many emotions: rage, calm down, do I confront him, what do I say to my wife? I froze. In the end another guy walking past said, ‘Phil, leave it. Hey, you’re better than that.’ ”

Puts pot noodle into perspective.

Handré1990

Alaria is a clever girl and old enough to understand, Phil Jones says, and he gets a sick feeling just thinking about that day in Hale. He was strolling with his three-year-old daughter, pushing her little sister, Rayah, in the pram. A workman walked past. And the guy suddenly just unloaded. “Hey, Phil . . . You’re shit. You’re shit!”

Alaria turned to look at him. “You know when a little kid will ask you 20 times before you give them the answer?” Jones says. “It was one of them. ‘What is that? Daddy, Daddy, what is that?’

I got so many emotions: rage, calm down, do I confront him, what do I say to my wife? I froze. In the end another guy walking past said, ‘Phil, leave it. Hey, you’re better than that.’ ”

Heartbreaking. The human race is full of scum.

MattyLT

Some people are, in bad faith, purposely hiding their ability to understand context, so that they can keep on hammering the guy - this time, for "attacking poor people". It's just easier to double down on Phil Jones being a terrible person who deserves everything he gets, rather than to admit to being one of these absolute losers he's talking about.

Also, equalling "trolling online, drinking flat pepsi, living in your mother's basement" with poor people, does nothing but to expose a really messed up view on poor people - exactly what the very same people are accusing Phil Jones of.

Reactions: golden_blunder

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Poor guy, must be a terrible feeling.

stevoc

Hey, Phil . . . You’re shit. You’re shit!”

Horrible thing to say to anyone let alone someone with their children. Makes him seem a bit thin skinned if that filled him with rage and made him consider leaving his kids to confront someone. But who knows what else he was dealing with that day it must be horrible being famous sometimes. I expect most footballers get abuse in public, it's not right but sadly it's part and parcel for most people in the public eye I'd imagine. I witnessed Fellaini getting much worse than that in person and I felt horrible for the guy but he just laughed it off.

Last edited:

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak

Horrible thing to say to anyone let alone someone with their children. Makes him seem a bit thin skinned if that filled him with rage and made him consider leaving his kids to confront someone. But who knows what else he was dealing with that day it must be horrible being famous sometimes. I expect most footballers get abuse in public, it's right but sadly it's part and parcel for most people in the public eye I'd imagine. I witnessed Fellaini getting much worse than that in person and I felt horrible for the guy but he just laughed it off.
Who the feck wrote that shit?

iHicksy

Horrible thing to say to anyone let alone someone with their children. Makes him seem a bit thin skinned if that filled him with rage and made him consider leaving his kids to confront someone. But who knows what else he was dealing with that day it must be horrible being famous sometimes. I expect most footballers get abuse in public, it's right but sadly it's part and parcel for most people in the public eye I'd imagine. I witnessed Fellaini getting much worse than that in person and I felt horrible for the guy but he just laughed it off.
Thin skinned? Of course it filled him with rage. He was with his daughter who is now asking him twenty times what just happened and likely what the words you're shit mean and why he's having them shouted at him by strange men in public. He's angry because it affects his child and the piece of scum doesn't have the decency not to verbally abuse him in front of his 3 year old daughter and baby.

stevoc

Thin skinned? Of course it filled him with rage. He was with his daughter who is now asking him twenty times what just happened and likely what the words you're shit mean and why he's having them shouted at him by strange men in public. He's angry because it affects his child and the piece of scum doesn't have the decency not to verbally abuse him in front of his 3 year old daughter and baby.
Sorry did my post make you think I wasn't sympathetic towards Phil in this situation or that I think it's ok to abuse people in public in front of their children?

Peter van der Gea

Sorry did my post make you think I wasn't sympathetic towards Phil in this situation or that I think it's ok to abuse people in public in front of their children?
I was assuming that you were quoting someone.

Edit: just saw your reply. That's messed up. That's not the journalist's own words, right? He's got to be quoting someone else? I haven't read it yet.

Peter van der Gea

Who's opinion is the bolded mate?

stevoc

I was assuming that you were quoting someone.

Edit: just saw your reply. That's messed up. That's not the journalist's own words, right? He's got to be quoting someone else? I haven't read it yet.
The first part is the quote I forgot to turn the Italics off.

SungSam7

I don't get it really? The guy is nothing more than a common workman, nothing special. However, it takes a lot of talent and sacrifices to get where he did. Yes he may not be up to the standard and made a lot of mistakes, but he has more talent on one toe than that workman. I would have laughed at the fellow's face, that would have really wound him up instead.

Peter van der Gea

The first part is the quote I forgot to turn the Italics off.
One of the hardest things about being a parent, at least for me, is to try and 1, make sure i'm acting in the right way for my daughters , not me, and 2, keep them in the illusion that the world is a lot nicer, that I'm a lot nicer than the truth.

stevoc

One of the hardest things about being a parent, at least for me, is to try and 1, make sure i'm acting in the right way for my daughters , not me, and 2, keep them in the illusion that the world is a lot nicer, that I'm a lot nicer than the truth.
I have kids myself mate and I'd agree.

Peter van der Gea

That's why I don't understand the thin skinned bit, or the expectation that because you're famous you should expect abuse. We've had celebrities since we had communities. Why is it only now that they're subject to this constant vitriol?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I eat pot noodles. Why not. Have you ever seen Kitchen Nightmares? restaurants charging loads of money for shit quality foods. Expensive doesnt necessarily mean better especially with pesticides around.

stevoc

That's why I don't understand the thin skinned bit, or the expectation that because you're famous you should expect abuse. We've had celebrities since we had communities. Why is it only now that they're subject to this constant vitriol?
Sorry you seem to be taking parts of my post out of context here? Where did I say I think famous people should expect abuse?

it must be horrible being famous sometimes. I expect most footballers get abuse in public, it's not right but sadly it's part and parcel for most people in the public eye I'd imagine.

8thWonder

This is a video explaining his injuries.

Thanks for posting, this video should get posted every few pages... He's been playing through injury/pain since 2012, with the knee getting worse and worse...

I do wonder why United seemed to be so quiet about the surgery though? I don't think we heard anything about it until this interview, with Ole been asked about it several times over the last two years? Do you think they were trying to protect him knowing he might never make it back as a player?

DoomSlayer

Jesus, I'm not for abusing players, but some posters are going over the top for defending Jones. Haven't seen the same for other players that have been abused in the last 7-8 years.

Why was Rooney not defended when our own fans were giving him dog abuse for every small little thing?

8thWonder

Sorry you seem to be taking parts of my post out of context here? Where did I say I think famous people should expect abuse?
Can't speak for the original poster, but I was a bit taken aback by how you seemed to have critisized Phil Jones in this instance, that's all...

Seemed really needless/pointless to call him thin skinned, when imo it's a really natural reaction. Almost as if you felt the urge either to critisize him for no reason or were looking for a reaction on here?

Zlatattack

Guys im so glad i'm not the only one who does that. I want them to find out the shittyness of the world for themselves, not for me to ruin it for them.

My friend (who is Pakistani) has a black Sudanese sister in law. His nephews and nieces are mixed race, but have African features such as the hair and darker skin tone. His other brother is married to a Polish woman and he's got "white looking" nephews and nieces too. He remarked how when the kids are playing together they don't see the colour, they don't see the difference. He was reading a book about racism and his son asked him what it was about. He said he told him the experiences of black people in America. His son asked him who black people were. He decided to change the topic because for now he didn't want his kids to see the racial differences, when they don't currently.

It's so important we help our kids enjoy the world for as long as they can.

Real Name

Jesus, I'm not for abusing players, but some posters are going over the top for defending Jones. Haven't seen the same for other players that have been abused in the last 7-8 years.

Why was Rooney not defended when our own fans were giving him dog abuse for every small little thing?
Over the top for defending a guy being abused in the street in front of his kids?
I think you should read your own post once again.

Jericho

[
It’s not only now. You just seem to only be aware of it now.

Famous people get more stick. It’s usually not right, but given how that’s how it’s always been it is expected.

Telling him he’s shit in front of his kids isn’t nice or justified. All the Pearl clutching over it is a bit much though.

Jericho

Guys im so glad i'm not the only one who does that. I want them to find out the shittyness of the world for themselves, not for me to ruin it for them.

My friend (who is Pakistani) has a black Sudanese sister in law. His nephews and nieces are mixed race, but have African features such as the hair and darker skin tone. His other brother is married to a Polish woman and he's got "white looking" nephews and nieces too. He remarked how when the kids are playing together they don't see the colour, they don't see the difference. He was reading a book about racism and his son asked him what it was about. He said he told him the experiences of black people in America. His son asked him who black people were. He decided to change the topic because for now he didn't want his kids to see the racial differences, when they don't currently.

It's so important we help our kids enjoy the world for as long as they can.
You should probably ruin it for them a bit IMO.

stevoc

Can't speak for the original poster, but I was a bit taken aback by how you seemed to have critisized Phil Jones in this instance, that's all...

Seemed really needless/pointless to call him thin skinned, when imo it's a really natural reaction. Almost as if you felt the urge either to critisize him for no reason or were looking for a reaction on here?
Criticizing Phil Jones?

Yeah ok mate, ignore the rest of my post and focus on two words.

Jesus Christ you make a sympathetic post in support of Phil Jones and your post get's pulled apart and taken out of context and you get accused of criticizing him amongst other things.

Yeah some maybe need to take a step back from this thread for a while and not jump on people for any perceived slight on Phil Jones. Real or imagined.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wonder if others would have just retired from football.

Even if he makes it back to full fitness will he even able to get back to the level he was at? There were question marks over whether he was good enough for United when he was at full fitness, how likely is it now?

8thWonder

That's just absolutely not true in any way at all is it?

Fred gets criticized, people stick up for him.
McTominay gets criticized, people stick up for him.
Rooney, Berbatov, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Pre last season Shaw, De Gea, all the same.

Some love to moan, some love to moan at the moaners. This is how the forum works...

With Phil Jones, a narrative has grown out of al proportion that he's a leech and 'stealing a living' is one of my favourites...

Here's what we know;
He's a talented footballer.
He's been plagued by injuries.
His form has flucuated over the years.
His contract was renewed.
He's now back in training after having knee surgery.

My take from this is, he's a talented player who's form has flucuated because he's been playing through pain and his knees had given up on him. When offering him a new contract the club who aren't a charity, offered him a lucrative contract because they thought he justified it (by whatever metrics they used). He's now getting back to fitness.

And here's the crux for me, I wish him the best for us and don't wish to deride his past performances.

Apparently for some, seemingly like yourself, that seems unreasonable...

RUCK4444

Yeah I've said a few times that I wish we could see some of the same defending of other players and the manager, would make the caf a much better place if this support was sprinkled around the other threads. :)

8thWonder

Criticizing Phil Jones?

Yeah ok mate, ignore the rest of my post and focus on two words.

Jesus Christ you make a sympathetic post in support of Phil Jones and your post get's pulled apart and taken out of context and you get accused of criticizing him among other things.

Yeah some maybe need to take a step back from this thread for a while and not jump on people for any perceived slight on Phil Jones. Real or imagined.
:lol: Fair enough, I'm old enough to know that you can't always take written word on face value as you miss most of the meaning etc... I assumed 'thin skinned' was digging into him, if not, apologies

Peter van der Gea

You didn't and I didn't mean it to come across as a personal insult, I just think it's become normalised modern celebs are just expect to be abused, and your comment, while not saying that, did infer it. Jimmy Greaves died yesterday, I'm sure there are stories of him going to the pub with the fans, I know did. I can't imagine Clark Gable or Charlie Chaplin getting abused like that in the street.

stevoc

You didn't and I didn't mean it to come across as a personal insult, I just think it's become normalised modern celebs are just expect to be abused, and your comment, while not saying that, did infer it.
No worries mate. My post was maybe poorly worded all I was trying to say was that sadly yes Celebrities do get abused in public and that I think it's not right.

stevoc

:lol: Fair enough, I'm old enough to know that you can't always take written word on face value as you miss most of the meaning etc... I assumed 'thin skinned' was digging into him, if not, apologies
No worries mate, judging from the reaction obviously my post must have been poorly worded.

Drainy

Some people are, in bad faith, purposely hiding their ability to understand context, so that they can keep on hammering the guy - this time, for "attacking poor people". It's just easier to double down on Phil Jones being a terrible person who deserves everything he gets, rather than to admit to being one of these absolute losers he's talking about.

Also, equalling "trolling online, drinking flat pepsi, living in your mother's basement" with poor people, does nothing but to expose a really messed up view on poor people - exactly what the very same people are accusing Phil Jones of.
crybullies

Peter van der Gea

No worries mate. My post was maybe poorly worded all I was trying to say was that sadly yes Celebrities do get abused in public and that I think it's not right.
Bit of a mare with that post! Quoted wrong, poorly worded... :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.