Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Witcher 3 (open world RPG)
Bloodbourne
Uncharted 4
MGSV
But remember, when you get Witcher 3, you don't need to get any other games at the same time because you won't play them for 3 months and also say goodbye to your life.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
@.Rossi If you have the funds 1TB, disc based games still need to be installed & take up a lot of space. If you only plan on playing ps1 & 2 classics 500gb should do the trick.

narnar

Needs Help
Finally made the jump from ps3 to Ps4. Got fifa free with it but was wondering if anyone could recommend some must have games?

Big fan of the fallout series, how does fallout 4 compare to 3 & new vegas?

Are any of the assassins creed games worth getting? Played 1&2 previously and see that black flag, unity and syndicate are out on the Ps4. Can anyone recommend which would be the best to play?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Finally made the jump from ps3 to Ps4. Got fifa free with it but was wondering if anyone could recommend some must have games?

Are any of the assassins creed games worth getting? Played 1&2 previously and see that black flag, unity and syndicate are out on the Ps4. Can anyone recommend which would be the best to play?
I've only played Black Flag but it was a good game. The pirate element was a nice break from the usual AC-type action. Well worth getting. I'm an Xboxer, but I don't think that makes a difference in this case.

A big reason I want a PS4 was for The Last of Us, which is highly regarded. I imagine other people who have actually played it would be able to verify that.

vanthaman

Winner
I've only played Black Flag but it was a good game. The pirate element was a nice break from the usual AC-type action. Well worth getting. I'm an Xboxer, but I don't think that makes a difference in this case.

A big reason I want a PS4 was for The Last of Us, which is highly regarded. I imagine other people who have actually played it would be able to verify that.
Last of us probably my favourite ever game, it's brilliant

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

I really enjoyed AC Black Flag and AC Syndicate (set in Victorian London). AC Unity (Paris) was a real let down - suffered loads of technical issues, plus lots of content was hidden behind either paywalls, or forced you to use the companion app etc - very disappointing all around. AC Syndicate is much better - a fantastic recreation of London and I love how the missions and side quests give you freedom in terms of how to approach and execute them.

I also loved Metal Gear Solid V. It isn't as story focused as previous MGS games (which I don't mind) but it gives you a fantastically realised sandbox in which to try different approaches. In terms of the level of control it gives you over the character, I don't think there is any game that does it better. The graphics are also fantastic - everything runs at a smooth 60fps which really helps immerse you in the world.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Planning on buying a PS4 (Finally!). Can someone tell how big is the install size for games generally (For games like FIFA, GTA, Call of Duty and the likes)?

Leg-End

Planning on buying a PS4 (Finally!). Can someone tell how big is the install size for games generally (For games like FIFA, GTA, Call of Duty and the likes)?
Varies, minimum tends to be 25gb upto 60gb.

Jacob

I'm getting a PS4 Slim 500GB + FIFA17 and 1 year subscription to PS Plus for £290. Decent deal?

Will eventually buy an extra controller and Battlefield 1 once that is out, which should be another £70.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
fifa is around 25gb , gta around 40gb and not sure on COD maybe 30gb.

JmRssll555

I'm getting a PS4 Slim 500GB + FIFA17 and 1 year subscription to PS Plus for £290. Decent deal?

Will eventually buy an extra controller and Battlefield 1 once that is out, which should be another £70.
I think it depends how greatly you value the slimline machine aesthetically. This weekend, there were deals on the fat PS4 500GB with FIFA 17 for £149. With that deal, you could get your extra controller, PS Plus and Battlefield and still be around £249. Stock is the big issue, I think.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone looking forward to Mafia III? I've not played the previous Mafia games but this one looks really interesting. You play a black protagonist returning from Vietnam in a Django-Unchained style revenge story against the Italian mob set In 1960's New Orleans complete with a great oldies soundtrack. Some great opportunities here to explore the racism, post war politics and organised crime of the Southern US. Everything I've seen so far looks great but the only thing that has me worried is reviews aren't going out until after the game releases, which should be a massive red flag... though most preview impressions have been positive.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mafia-3-review

Some Guy on Reddit has been posting impressions from an early delivered copy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mafia3/comments/55ptiv/my_amazonca_canada_preorder_arrived_early/

Edit: check this out, from 19:30 onwards is great stuff...

Last edited:

Jacob

I think it depends how greatly you value the slimline machine aesthetically. This weekend, there were deals on the fat PS4 500GB with FIFA 17 for £149. With that deal, you could get your extra controller, PS Plus and Battlefield and still be around £249. Stock is the big issue, I think.
I know about that deal, and I tried and tired to no avail. It stings a bit to buy a PS4 right after such an amazing deal expired and sold out.

Robbo 7

My kids have a PS3 but I've just got them the PS4 slim 500GB with Fifa 17 for £249 for Christmas.

Does anyone know if the Disney Infinity 3.0 for PS3 will work with the PS4? Or do I need to buy it again?

Bojan11

My kids have a PS3 but I've just got them the PS4 slim 500GB with Fifa 17 for £249 for Christmas.

Does anyone know if the Disney Infinity 3.0 for PS3 will work with the PS4? Or do I need to buy it again?
You need to buy it again. None of your PS3 games will work on PS4.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Eh you might want to take a rain check on Disney Infinity and see if you can still play it/buy the toys seeing Disney have shut it down and stopped publishing games@Robbo 7

Disney Infinity shuts down as Disney drops out of game publishing
Company will take $147 million writedown for shuttered toys-to-life line.
Kyle Orland - 5/10/2016, 10:15 PM

Disney may be enjoying a renaissance as the popular cross-media publisher of everything from Star Wars to Inside Out to Captain America. That list won't include video games anymore. The company just announced it will be shutting down its Disney Infinity line of games and associated collectible toys, and it will be ending its "self-published console games business" altogether.

Disney Infinity Senior VP and General Manager John Blackburn said in a surprise announcement today that "we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Disney Infinity. From the beginning, Disney Infinity was built for you—our fans—and I wanted to take a moment to thank you not just for your support over the years, but for creating a community that made Disney Infinity more than just a game." Blackburn promised that there would be two final retail releases of Infinity toy playsets in the next two months, before the line is shut down entirely.

In an earnings report today, Disney said it will write down a $147 million charge in connection with the shutdown of its console business, largely due to Infinity. The company's latest earnings report cites "lower results for Infinity" as part of the reason for a slight decrease in revenues and income from its Consumer Products & Interactive Media division.

Further Reading
Disney Infinity and the problem with Apple TV’s gaming ambitions [Updated]Today's announcement comes a month after Disney announced Disney Infinity 3.0 would no longer be receiving updates on the Apple TV or the PC. Industry analyst Michael Pachter estimated late last year that Disney Infinity and its associated toy line earned over $200 million in 2015.

Disney Infinity launched in 2013 as the company's answer to the popularity of Activision's Skylanders and the toys-to-life segment it inspired. Infinity toys and power discs interacted with an NFC base to unlock characters, environments, and items in the associated multiplatform video game.

Though best known for Infinity in recent years, Disney Interactive was responsible for character-themed games like Fantasia: Music Evolved, Epic Mickey, and Ducktales: Remastered, as well as racing titles like Pure and Split/Second.

Disney Interactive also took a hard—and surprising—pass on handling Star Wars-specific games once Lucasfilm was sold to the Disney/ABC empire. After shuttering LucasArts and cancelling the Star Wars 1313 game, Disney entered a multi-year licensing agreement with EA to transfer game-property rights. Last week, EA announced that another one of its game-development studios, Respawn Entertainment, would also launch a Star Wars-themed game in the future.

vanthaman

Winner
The witness is now £17.99 not sure whether to buy or wait for the inevitable free ps plus game at some point

AXVnee7

Anyone else eagerly anticipating Final fantasy XV? I'm a massive FF fan, and been waiting over 10 years for this one!

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
So there this new game out called Thumper (UK/EU gets it on Thursday the 13th) that's been getting some pretty rave reviews, it's a rhythm based action game that can only be described as Guitar Hero meets Wipeout on a Stanley Kubrick Acid Trip....Nice!

It runs at 1080p & 90fps on a normal PS4 & It's a also getting a PS4 Pro mode and is compatible with PSVR.

Last but not least, we’re excited to announce Thumper will support PS4 Pro from day one. We’ve worked hard to perfect Thumper’s graphics tech and the extra power lets us push our original vision even further. On PS4 Pro, Thumper will render at up to 4K resolution (With no upscaling!) for the ultimate high-gloss HD experience. PS4 Pro also enhances the VR rendering quality while maintaining the same rock-solid 90 frames-per-second. We’ll have more details on our PS4 Pro support soon!
It’s up on the PS Store on Thursday and at around £15 its not too much of a strain on the wallet

Paste Mag - 10/10

There’s a certain class of game that gets stuck in my head, where I can’t stop seeing it and thinking about it even when I turn the machine off. Think Tetris, Ms. Pac-Man, Dark Souls, the best Metroids and Marios and Zeldas—the true classics, the cornerstones of the medium that have made an indelible impact on how we play and think about games. Thumper is right up there alongside them. It is an essentially perfect realization of its own unique goals and concerns, and a game we’ll be playing and celebrating for decades, even if it leaves us afraid and confused.

IGN - 9/10

Thumper's trippy sights, sounds, and intense rhythm action create a terrifying VR experience I won't soon forget.

Gamespot - 9/10

Thumper thrives due to the way it marries speed, simple controls, and mesmerizing atmosphere. It's far more convincing in VR, where you're enveloped in the game's space and free of distractions from the outside world, but it shouldn't be ignored by those without the appropriate hardware. Thumper, no matter how you play it, is too good to miss.

VideoGamer - 9/10

Thumper is a great rhythm action game, with strong visuals, fantastic design, and more speed than Keanu Reeves on a bus rigged to explode.

God Is A Geek - 9/10

Thumper is a remarkable achievement in sound and it becomes its own mechanic in a game that relires so heavily on a solid and penetrating soundtrack. I can only imagine how good it would be in VR as it feels perfect for it. Wearing a headset, focusing on the rapid pace as well as the incandescent beats has all the hallmarks of what VR should be.

Destructoid - 8/10

...after a certain point, it became too difficult, too fast, with too few new ideas, and my enjoyment eroded. Part of that stems from the length because this is a surprisingly (and unnecessarily) long game....
I'd still recommend Thumper, though. Readily. But I would also advise not to get too wrapped up in fully finishing it. This road is long and winding and brutal. It might just drive you mad.

Game Informer - 5.75/10

Thumper is the last thing a beetle imagines when it smacks into a windshield. Thumper is what it’s like to peer into the subconscious of the guitar-playing Doof Warrior from Mad Max: Fury Road. Thumper is a rhythm game stripped down to the rims – a primal, uncomfortable nightmare by design. Though it shares a few DNA strands with other games out there, Thumper is its own unique beast – a mean, unrelenting animal that I wanted to put down after a few hours.

I enjoy challenging games when there’s a rewarding payoff. With Thumper, the reward of doing well is just more Thumper. If you’re really into the game’s bleak conceit, you may have the patience to hang with it for the duration. Personally, I was ready to leap out of the trough and never look back.

Business Insider - "A horrifying, hypnotic, exhilarating thrill ride"

In short, "Thumper" is one of the most surprisingly nuanced and challenging games I've played all year. Its stunning art direction and hypnotic music is what drew me in initially, but I'm in love with its challenging, addictive level design.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Got Mafia 3 yesterday, must say that after first 3-4 hours I don't understand all 5/10 reviews. It's a technical mess but makes up for it with the story and brillint setting, it's literally one of the best climates I have seen in video games. New Orleans of 70s, gangs and terrific 70s rock classics, if somebody likes that, they must absolutely play this.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Got Mafia 3 yesterday, must say that after first 3-4 hours I don't understand all 5/10 reviews. It's a technical mess but makes up for it with the story and brillint setting, it's literally one of the best climates I have seen in video games. New Orleans of 70s, gangs and terrific 70s rock classics, if somebody likes that, they must absolutely play this.
I think it's the repetitiveness mostly. You do the same stuff over and over and over again.

JmRssll555

The witness is now £17.99 not sure whether to buy or wait for the inevitable free ps plus game at some point
Yeah, I'm considering this dilemma too. I'm also hoping to pick up Firewatch at some point, but I think there's a good chance that will also come to PS Plus eventually.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Game is selling the new PS4 with Battlefield 1 and three months of NOW TV subscription, for £249. That's an alright package, innit?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Game is selling the new PS4 with Battlefield 1 and three months of NOW TV subscription, for £249. That's an alright package, innit?
Not much better around at the minute considering you missed out on all the £150 deals a few weeks back.

I like the look of the new Battlefield. Might pick that up myself.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Not much better around at the minute considering you missed out on all the £150 deals a few weeks back.

I like the look of the new Battlefield. Might pick that up myself.
I know :( I'm still in disbelief that I missed out on that. The only other option is to wait until Christmas and see if they will go down then but in a way I'm not really bothered anymore, I just wanna get it now and that's it.

Player Red

PSA for anyone who hasn't yet enabled 2-step verification that was rolled out with 4.0, do it now. I got hacked and looks like it will be a week before I get my account back. Seems to be happening to a fair few people.

JmRssll555

I thought I had heard great things about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture? Have I confused it with something else?

Leg-End

Wanted to try Everybody's Gone to the Rapture but would never have brought it, not expecting too much though.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The voice acting and story are excellent

I enjoyed it, but you need to be into that kindle thing

Also it's painfully slow