PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 April 2024

Stig

Absolutely, the moment he got the ball I was screaming at the TV, my wife, in the kitchen, came running into the lounge, she thought I was having a heart-attack:eek:.
That would definitely have made you a Top Red.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Nor why the game wasn't called after the pen - which was taken after the 8 mins
When they signal 8 minutes its a minimum not an absolute.

The referee blew for the penalty at 96 Minutes 10 seconds. So a minimum of 1 minute 50 seconds left from the time the referees restarts the game.

The whistle to restart was blown at 99 minutes 14 seconds . The penalty was scored 3 seconds later(99.17). At that point in time even with nothing more added there was a minimum of 1 minute or 47 seconds left .

Even without adding any time on for the goal the final whistle could be expected anytime after 101 minutes and 11 seconds. The last goal was scored on 100 minutes and 40 seconds.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see the point in having VAR if they can't see that both pens should not have been given, do it properly or don't do it at all.
Outside of forums that have a bias this one for instance which genuinely are aggrieved or Chelsea forums that believe that both penalty calls were 100% correct there isn’t any view that the calls were incorrect.

For me the lack of objection from the two Utd players that had been penalised tells a significant story but even ignoring that VAR isn’t there to overturn a decision it is there only to identify clear and errors .

Its obvious that some on here believe that to be the case but that doesn’t seem to be a wider view

redmanx

When they signal 8 minutes its a minimum not an absolute.

The referee blew for the penalty at 96 Minutes 10 seconds. So a minimum of 1 minute 50 seconds left from the time the referees restarts the game.

The whistle to restart was blown at 99 minutes 14 seconds . The penalty was scored 3 seconds later(99.17). At that point in time even with nothing more added there was a minimum of 1 minute or 47 seconds left .

Even without adding any time on for the goal the final whistle could be expected anytime after 101 minutes and 11 seconds. The last goal was scored on 100 minutes and 40 seconds.
It doesnt matter how much time the players think there is left or how long theyve played, its all in the hands of the referee and when he signals for the match to end thats when the players stop playing, not before, but our lot dont seem to realise this. How many times have we seen our players virtually stop playing, their minds clearly elsewhere; at one stage Rashford allowed Cole Palmer to go past him as if he wasnt there. Then, when Palmer scored the winner from a short corner our defenders were looking in different directions, some no doubt at the ref hoping he'd blow full time so they could all go home to their nice, expensive houses...nobody cared enough to even try and stop Chelsea scoring a 4th, its a bloody disgrace! How can any manager get anywhere near approaching consistency with these players? Garnacho, Mainoo, Hojlund, McTominay and Bruno are the only ones who showed desire and spirit throughout the match, the rest simply huffed and puffed in brief instances when they clearly realised they had to offer more, but these were few and far between. Chelsea are in reality no better than we are but the difference is their players CARE!

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
It doesnt matter how much time the players think there is left or how long theyve played, its all in the hands of the referee and when he signals for the match to end thats when the players stop playing, not before, but our lot dont seem to realise this. How many times have we seen our players virtually stop playing, their minds clearly elsewhere; at one stage Rashford allowed Cole Palmer to go past him as if he wasnt there. Then, when Palmer scored the winner from a short corner our defenders were looking in different directions, some no doubt at the ref hoping he'd blow full time so they could all go home to their nice, expensive houses...nobody cared enough to even try and stop Chelsea scoring a 4th, its a bloody disgrace! How can any manager get anywhere near approaching consistency with these players? Garnacho, Mainoo, Hojlund, McTominay and Bruno are the only ones who showed desire and spirit throughout the match, the rest simply huffed and puffed in brief instances when they clearly realised they had to offer more, but these were few and far between. Chelsea are in reality no better than we are but the difference is their players CARE!
Its completely subjective of course but save possibly 4 or maybe 5 if you include Antony aged 24 of the 16 players that appeared for Man Utd in that game the vast majority (11) are either well experienced PL players and or players in their prime.
Whereas of the 16 Chelsea players who appeared for Chelsea only 3 players were older than even Antony.
Chelsea’s 16 average age was 23 . Man Utd’s 16 was 26.
Does that matter ?
It may not when it comes to individual skills make a vast difference nor I guess does it when it comes to fitness but where it should make vast difference is game management
Of course I was delighted with the final score despite injuries three of the back four that Utd finished the game had played in163 PL games, 97 PL games and in the case of Harry M 236 PL games. They aren’t young, inexperienced nor dare I say need a lot of instruction about seeing a game out they quite simply should be savvy enough and yet the way they played in that last 8 phase of the game was many things was not caring in there ? I am not sure but there clearly was something amiss

always_hoping

Know you are out of luck when when Dean doesn't think it's a penalty.

lex talionis

Outside of forums that have a bias this one for instance which genuinely are aggrieved or Chelsea forums that believe that both penalty calls were 100% correct there isn’t any view that the calls were incorrect.

For me the lack of objection from the two Utd players that had been penalised tells a significant story but even ignoring that VAR isn’t there to overturn a decision it is there only to identify clear and errors .

Its obvious that some on here believe that to be the case but that doesn’t seem to be a wider view
No doubt, largely because there is a legacy of fukk United due to the Ferguson years and ongoing delight in seeing United stumble season after season after Ferguson left. Except for a few objective posters on forums like this you’re not going to find analysts give United the benefit of any kind of doubt on dubious pens awarded against United. Outside of rival club supporters you don’t find any such animus towards clubs like Chelsea, Spurs or even Arsenal.

redmanx

Its completely subjective of course but save possibly 4 or maybe 5 if you include Antony aged 24 of the 16 players that appeared for Man Utd in that game the vast majority (11) are either well experienced PL players and or players in their prime.
Whereas of the 16 Chelsea players who appeared for Chelsea only 3 players were older than even Antony.
Chelsea’s 16 average age was 23 . Man Utd’s 16 was 26.
Does that matter ?
It may not when it comes to individual skills make a vast difference nor I guess does it when it comes to fitness but where it should make vast difference is game management
Of course I was delighted with the final score despite injuries three of the back four that Utd finished the game had played in163 PL games, 97 PL games and in the case of Harry M 236 PL games. They aren’t young, inexperienced nor dare I say need a lot of instruction about seeing a game out they quite simply should be savvy enough and yet the way they played in that last 8 phase of the game was many things was not caring in there ? I am not sure but there clearly was something amiss
Why were you "delighted with the final score?"

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 87% of 164 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 171 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win