Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How is this De Ketaelear guy?

Seems more like a false 9 so maybe we see if Bruno can play as one first because tbh - he still hasn’t well enough for United even on paper he should have no problem doing so.

DevilRed

I'm looking at it from a logical standpoint, not an emotional one.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion if Greenwood faces no charges then he'll be back playing for United. It's not complicated.
This. 100%

And it shouldn't be any other way.

IF HE IS FOUND INNOCENT.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
This. 100%

And it shouldn't be any other way.

IF HE IS FOUND INNOCENT.
Given that it takes on average almost two years for serious crimes to reach a court conclusion in the UK at the moment, he's unlikely to be part of the discussion for this coming season guilty or innocent.

croadyman

Icardi is like an unexploded bomb you can never tell with him. He could be a great asset yet he could be a failure. He's just too hot-headed
But if Ronaldo leaves we don't have much options. It could be the classic example of the expression beggars can't be choosers
Yeah complex character who could really take to the place, however don't see it happening so not going to think too much about it

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Given that it takes on average almost two years for serious crimes to reach a court conclusion in the UK at the moment, he's unlikely to be part of the discussion for this coming season guilty or innocent.
Exactly and his new bail has been set, with no end date that I can see which is strange.
He won’t be playing anywhere anytime soon

MrSingh2002

Do you really see us spending over 80m trying to convince Nunez to come here over Liverpool? Because I don’t really see this being possible in any stretch.

Nkunku, there are other top clubs (ie Bayern) reportedly interest in him but he prefers to stay for another year, not a chance too.
I believe that had the club known Ronaldo wanted out then they would have blown Liverpool out the water. The club would want to sell to the highest bidder not where Nunez fancied playing his football.

In that situation we'd have bid a fair bit more than Liverpool but it wasn't enough of a priority to go all out.

Last edited:

Aeryis

Joao Felix is not a number 10, sure he can play there. But he's a centre forward / second striker.

The point doesn't change. Why would you play a second striker in Felix alongside Bruno Fernandes, a number 10 (who effectively plays as a second striker anyways). It makes no sense if you consider the overall shape of the team. It would be a typical dumb "celebrity signing" with no account of what said signing would bring to and how he would complement the team. The same goes for any forward that's not in an orthodox position, like Nkunku. Any future signing for the front 3 has to be an orthodox player (an actual number 9, an actual right winger/wide forward) to complement the already existing spine of the team.

People here make fun of Woodward for mismanaging the team for 10 years when their transfer suggestions often exhibit the same errors and flaws of our past transfer strategies.

croadyman

I believe that had the club known Ronaldo wanted out then they would have blown Liverpool out the water. The club would want to sell to the highest bidder not where Nunez fancied playing his football.

In that situation we'd have bit a fair bit more than Liverpool but it wasn't enough of a priority to go all out.
Absolutely spot on that's the key point

Corwin

Hugo Ekitike from Reims. 20 years, 10 goals & 3 assists in 25 Ligue 1 games last season.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The point doesn't change. Why would you play a second striker in Felix alongside Bruno Fernandes, a number 10 (who effectively plays as a second striker anyways). It makes no sense if you consider the overall shape of the team. It would be a typical dumb "celebrity signing" with no account of what said signing would bring to and how he would complement the team. The same goes for any forward that's not in an orthodox position, like Nkunku. Any future signing for the front 3 has to be an orthodox player (an actual number 9, an actual right winger/wide forward) to complement the already existing spine of the team.

People here make fun of Woodward for mismanaging the team for 10 years when their transfer suggestions often exhibit the same errors and flaws of our past transfer strategies.
I think because football is far more modern, advanced and complex than this.

ETH best 11 was when Tadic was playing as the deepest forward. Who isn't a 9, centre forward or second striker at all. He was playing with a LW/CAM infront of another CAM and it worked.

Aeryis

I think because football is far more modern, advanced and complex than this.

ETH best 11 was when Tadic was playing as the deepest forward. Who isn't a 9, centre forward or second striker at all. He was playing with a LW/CAM infront of another CAM and it worked.
Name me one club at the highest level that plays several second strikers in the same starting XI with success.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Name me one club at the highest level that plays several second strikers in the same starting XI with success.
This argument doesnt make sense. There are however many teams that have deviated from the normal roles with a lot of succes.

Loony BoB

Didn't he just name a club that did that (ETH's Ajax) in the post you were quoting? If you think ETH's Ajax haven't had success, well...

But bond is correct. Man City have been doing this without issue. Quite frankly the game evolves, and you can either be early to the party or late to the party. Remember when 4-4-2 was all you needed? Nowadays few successful clubs use that formation.

Bojan Djordjic

Schick looks like our only proper option if we're going for a striker. We don't have the luxury of signing someone just good enough to be a backup when we were chasing Nunez (not hard enough) the other day and he's signed to our rivals. Oshimen is good but too high a fee and I'm not sure if he's what we need.

Can anyone who's seen him play tell me what his movement is like? This is the type of signing Cristiano wants to see to stay so I'm wondering if he drifts to the left even though he's left-footed.
Ronaldo doesn’t want signings. He wants to scurry off a sinking ship and play champions league football.

Bojan Djordjic

I wouldn't say a new deal makes Schick impossible, I heard they've already signed a striker. We could get it done for €90-€100M, I think we should go for it.

I think even RB would sell if PSG came with the right offer but we're not going to throw up that type of money.
Are you serious about paying this fee for Schick? That would be absolute madness.

kps88

If we don't find anyone we really want, we have to try for a short term Larsson/Ighalo style deal instead of getting no one in.

CM

I wouldn't say a new deal makes Schick impossible, I heard they've already signed a striker. We could get it done for €90-€100M, I think we should go for it.

I think even RB would sell if PSG came with the right offer but we're not going to throw up that type of money.
:lol:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The case could end tomorrow you never know. But irrespective of the legal position there's enough in the public domain to make it hard for him to play for Manchester United again.

gottho

Teemu Puuki, 5 million bid, 2 years deal as backup as false 9 and link up player

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I remember looking at your attacking options like a year ago. Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, Cristiano, Sancho, Martial and thinking you were finally going to be back. How unlucky do you have to be to lose half the players and the other half turn to absolutely useless.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
In all honesty, we are not very likely to compete in earnest with best-in-the-world caliber teams in Manchester City and Liverpool over the next couple of years (even from an optimistic perspective). As it stands, those clubs are much further along in their developmental curve: battle-hardened and confident in their own abilities, brimming with quality in practically every segment of the pitch, and the principles of Guardiola and Klopp are fully entrenched (with only a bit of fine-tuning needed here or there to optimize things or nullify particular oppositions). With all of that in mind, maybe we should target the next cycle of success and prioritize center forwards who might be raw at the moment but boast the potential to reach a good level in 2—3 years, rather than those who are producing at a higher rate right now but don't have a lot of room for improvement and will have to be upgraded upon (or replaced) before long?

In terms of skill set and overall profile, the likes of Benjamin Seško at Salzburg (10 goals and 7 assists in roughly 1500 minutes before turning 19, during a down year of sorts) or Hugo Ekitike at Reims (11 goals and 3 assists in toughly 1400 minutes before turning 20) seem to have a lot going for them — and with consistent coaching, hard work and regular playing time, they could conceivably take big developmental strides and emerge as significant goal-scorers. Like Darwin in the season gone by for Benfica (from 13 goals and 12 assists in roughly 2700 minutes to 34 goals and 4 assists in roughly 2800 minutes, before securing his move to Liverpool), Vlahović at Fiorentina (from 8 goals and 2 assists in roughly 1900 minutes to 21 goals and 2 assists in roughly 3100 minutes and then in the ballpark of a goal per game, before securing his move to Juventus), et cetera.

Of course, there are a couple of key issues...
  • Football management is a doggy-dog world, and ten Hag might not want to put himself in jeopardy by baby-sitting a youngin in the crucial focal-point-of-the-attack role.
  • There's no guarantee that those two (or others of their ilk) are going to have high level breakout seasons or develop into difference-makers. You might be foolishly sacrificing the short and medium term, while chasing an impossible dream.
  • One could argue that the sheer pressure of playing for a big club would crush them (and they would benefit from continuing at Salzburg/Reims, or transferring to an intermediate level club for a few years).
It's an inherently risky strategy. And once upon a time, I thought signing Adolfo Gaich would have been a good idea. :)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I hope one of the notes under Invictus is 'the bracketman'

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
In all honesty, we are not very likely to compete in earnest with best-in-the-world caliber teams in Manchester City and Liverpool over the next couple of years (even from an optimistic perspective). As it stands, those clubs are much further along in their developmental curve: battle-hardened and confident in their own abilities, brimming with quality in practically every segment of the pitch, and the principles of Guardiola and Klopp are fully entrenched (with only a bit of fine-tuning needed here or there to optimize things or nullify particular oppositions). With all of that in mind, maybe we should target the next cycle of success and prioritize center forwards who might be raw at the moment but boast the potential to reach a good level in 2—3 years, rather than those who are producing at a higher rate right now but don't have a lot of room for improvement and will have to be upgraded upon (or replaced) before long?

In terms of skill set and overall profile, the likes of Benjamin Seško at Salzburg (10 goals and 7 assists in roughly 1500 minutes before turning 19, during a down year of sorts) or Hugo Ekitike at Reims (11 goals and 3 assists in toughly 1400 minutes before turning 20) seem to have a lot going for them — and with consistent coaching, hard work and regular playing time, they could conceivably take big developmental strides and emerge as significant goal-scorers. Like Darwin in the season gone by for Benfica (from 13 goals and 12 assists in roughly 2700 minutes to 34 goals and 4 assists in roughly 2800 minutes, before securing his move to Liverpool), Vlahović at Fiorentina (from 8 goals and 2 assists in roughly 1900 minutes to 21 goals and 2 assists in roughly 3100 minutes and then in the ballpark of a goal per game, before securing his move to Juventus), et cetera.

• Football management is a doggy-dog world, and ten Hag might not want to put himself in jeopardy by baby-sitting a youngin in the crucial focal-point-of-the-attack role.
  • There's no guarantee that those two (or others of their ilk) are going to have high level breakout seasons or develop into difference-makers. You might be foolishly sacrificing the short and medium term, while chasing an impossible dream.
  • One could argue that the sheer pressure of playing for a big club would crush them (and they would benefit from continuing at Salzburg/Reims, or transferring to an intermediate level club for a few years).
It's an inherently risky strategy. And once upon a time, I thought signing Adolfo Gaich would have been a good idea. :)
“Football management is a doggy-dog world” Invictus 2022

Bojan Djordjic

Wait, is that what you really think the saying is?? Otherwise, good post.

Hughie77

There's one , Calvin Lewin from Everton I know he's been injured but seems OK now. Everton may need to sell. He's a striker scores all sorts of goals. But how much ? The only other option is to get buy Antony from Ajax and 2 strikers in Martial and Rashford. ?? Another option .

Remember the geese

Does anyone know how good Henrique Araújo is? Has a good goal record in Benfica's youth teams, as well as three league goals in 129 minutes last season.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
There's one , Calvin Lewin from Everton I know he's been injured but seems OK now. Everton may need to sell. He's a striker scores all sorts of goals. But how much ? The only other option is to get buy Antony from Ajax and 2 strikers in Martial and Rashford. ?? Another option .
If we're signing a Calvin, I'd rather Harris or Klein.

Dermott Walsh

We could do worse than signing Emmanuel Dennis from Watford. Bagged 10 goals last season in a relegated side. Seemed to have good technical ability and won't warrant a big contract or transfer fee.

hobbers

I'm looking at it from a logical standpoint, not an emotional one.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion if Greenwood faces no charges then he'll be back playing for United. It's not complicated.
It is complicated because he's on a tape that everyone heard.

Zero way back from that at United. Doesn't matter if he's charged or not, reputational damage is already done.

Erik the Red

How about Brian Brobbey?

1.59 goals per 90 under Ten Hag is a ridiculous record, and he's publicly begged to come to OT. Send Ronaldo to RB Leipzig as a swap deal.