Premier League to introduce semi-automated offside technology next season | From the Autumn...

sugar_kane

It won't work perfectly and as such will be heavily criticised for not being 100% accurate but I'd take this every time over our game being slowed down, and not being able to celebrate goals properly.

It will still be hundreds of times better than the pre-VAR days in terms of making the right call.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm not looking forward to this at all. We're going to see a return of the ridiculous mm offsides.
But at least it should be as instant as goal line stuff.

Not a gang of goons drawing dodgy lines in a shack for 3 or 4mins.

Withnail

Still wish they would only use boots for it and nothing else. Could be no arguments then.
Yeah that's my thinking too especially when players are running side by side. There's no real advantage, and the rule wasn't brought in for this situation, but because some is a larger human or is leaning forward more in their running style then it's called offside.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Still wish they would only use boots for it and nothing else. Could be no arguments then.
There'd still be arguments, this is football after all, but yes, a fixed point of the body would eliminate many of the dubious ones

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is good, it was great at the WC and makes a lot of sense. It's a bit weird for it to be introduced during the season and I feel like better planning could've ensured that the whole competition would be played with the same basic technology, but it's better than nothing!
It’s really not. It’s shonky technology in the first place. Not having it in place for every single match is unacceptable.

arthurka

Anyone who tries to say VAR/technology isn't a net positive, I kindly remind you...

I kind of give us a chance in the final there. Mourinho would have been a nobody and we would have become a European juggernaut.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It’s an approximation of cameras at suboptimal frame rates. It’s less accurate than Hawkeye in tennis or whatever the cricket version is. And both of those are shit. For evidence see dust at Roland Garros or wicket shoot outs in cricket. The predictive data is human coded, not agnostic.

Animating it suggests it’s flawless, it’s not.

Source : sold my car in November to a fella that works on VAR at Stanley Park. Freely confessed its flaws. Still in touch with him.

Its all an illusion of accuracy. It’s not hard science.

jadaba

It’s an approximation of cameras at suboptimal frame rates. It’s less accurate than Hawkeye in tennis or whatever the cricket version is. And both of those are shit. For evidence see dust at Roland Garros or wicket shoot outs in cricket. The predictive data is human coded, not agnostic.

Animating it suggests it’s flawless, it’s not.

Source : sold my car in November to a fella that works on VAR at Stanley Park. Freely confessed its flaws. Still in touch with him.

Its all an illusion of accuracy. It’s not hard science.
Even if it's not flawless, couldn't it be better than what we're currently condemned to simply by virtue of being decisive? Referees were always flawed but as spectators we knew their immediate decision was final, and while we'd naturally complain we at least wouldn't dedicate so much airtime to it. If this animated, imperfect technology at least relieves us from tedious offside delays and arguing over decisions weeks later, then I kinda welcome that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Even if it's not flawless, couldn't it be better than what we're currently condemned to simply by virtue of being decisive? Referees were always flawed but as spectators we knew their immediate decision was final, and while we'd naturally complain we at least wouldn't dedicate so much airtime to it. If this animated, imperfect technology at least relieves us from tedious offside delays and arguing over decisions weeks later, then I kinda welcome that.
Yeah I kinda sit in the same space.

But also… we’re probably able to guarantee 99.99% accuracy if we require the companies involved to use better cameras, and evolve them annually.

Accepting what we have… I’d argue for no tech.

Non football people have conducted a cost-benefit analysis and are presenting it as fact. It’s just wrong.

Hoof the ball

Why after Autumn international break?

What the feck is so complicated; so complex that it must take until after the season has already begun to be implemented?

jadaba

Yeah I kinda sit in the same space.

But also… we’re probably able to guarantee 99.99% accuracy if we require the companies involved to use better cameras, and evolve them annually.

Accepting what we have… I’d argue for no tech.

Non football people have conducted a cost-benefit analysis and are presenting it as fact. It’s just wrong.
Yeah there is an infuriating feeling about being told that a VAR decision must be flawless by definition when you're looking at it and you're utterly convinced it's wrong, it adds to the whole feeling of powerlessness that we increasingly feel as fans. I'm hoping that semi-automated offsides end up like goal-line technology which, whether it's 100% accurate or they're misleading us and instead it's 98%, it still eliminates what are ultimately pointless discussions. But I am wary that as you point out it may take years to get to a similar level and in that time the promise of perfection and an evidently imperfect result that we see could only frustrate us more.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Agree. No need for any other kind of offside. Who cares if you stand on your side and your hip is offside.

Make it the feet and if it's somehow a bigger advantage to the attacker then that's fine.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Agree. No need for any other kind of offside. Who cares if you stand on your side and your hip is offside.

Make it the feet and if it's somehow a bigger advantage to the attacker then that's fine.
Totally agree. An attacker leaning in to get an advantage while remaining onside is good forward play.