Quality KO in the NHL last night

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
<a href="http://web2.airmail.net/spears67/downey%20vs%20boulerice.wmv" target="_blank">This time it's the vid </a>

JSV

woman-hating-mans-man(or sexist tw*t if you'd pref
What does KO mean? Knock out?

Dans

You saying you'd have stayed on your feet are ya?

JSV

I have to say when I asked the question I hadn't bothered to click on the link (simply because I didn't actually expect to see a punch up in the middle of the game). I see what it means now. Does that sorta thing happen often in NHL or what?

Dans

Fights happen pretty often yeah - I'd guess at one or two a game, although I may be overestimating, but that was a punch and a half the likes of which I've not yet seen in my short time following the nhl. The guy who went down was taken to hospital!

JSV

So although the players who have the scrap get sent off or sin binned, the refs make no actual attempt to stop it occuring in the first place. Bizzare. Good feckin punch though.

Dans

Good though innit?! Could do with a bit of that in football - we'd have won the derby last week!

Dans

There's another thread somewhere in here explaining why refs don't intervene, but in summary it's entertainment imo. Once two players end up on the floor punching and wrestling the refs break it up but until then sometimes it can get pretty fast and furious with punches, most failing to properly connect, being thrown at a ferocious rate.

kennyj

Rodney Dangerfield had a famous line where he said, "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out." Some video stores carry tapes of great hockey fights. You would think that it's hard to get leverage being on ice and all, but these guys can throw some decent punches. I've been to a few games where all five skaters were fighting their opponents and the goalies skated to the middle and were hitting each other. At the end there are gloves, sticks and shirts all over the ice.

There was a good fight in the NY Islander game last night. They got a tough young guy named Godard that's going around the league fighting all of the heavyweights. Last night he beat Andre Roy to a pulp.

An former office mate of mine was on a team that played the Islander Alumni and he played with a guy who crosschecked Clarke Gillies in front of the net. Gillies beat the hell out of the guy, broke a few bones in his face and knocked out a bunch of teeth.

JSV

Hmmmm, maybe yank sports can be interesting...

Dans

I'll look for footage of the aforementioned kicking.......

Dans

<a href="http://64.106.200.81/clips/021203vandy.mpg" target="_blank">another..........</a>

Dans

<a href="http://64.106.200.81/clips/021003fed.mpg" target="_blank">and another..........</a>

kennyj

Dans,
The toughest Broad Street Bully was Dave Schultz. The Flyers and Isles used to fight all the time. Schultz usually beat up on Gary Howatt of the Islanders (because Howatt was short). But Clarke Gillies finally beat the hell out of Schultz. Gillies had some good battles with Terry O'Reilly of the Boston Bruins too. Gillies didn't fight much, but I think he retired undefeated. Bobby Nystrum of the Isles was pretty tough too.
Once Schultz mercilessly hammered Dale Rolfe of the Rangers and the other Rangers stood around and watched. It was probably the lowest point in Ranger history.

kennyj

These are pretty good. Look at the top one first.

<a href="http://www.crashingthenet.com/fighting_videos.htm" target="_blank">http://www.crashingthenet.com/fighting_videos.htm</a>

JSV

The punch-ups are entertaining, but I still find the actual game itself rather mundane, mainly due to me being unable to see the feckin puck half the time. Too fast for me to be able to really see any tactics or great moves to be honest (although i'm sure they exist).

Dans

I always liked watching the big games - Olympics and World Championships. We don't get nhl in UK so I never had the chance to watch it there and I think it still isn't shown. I used think the same as you JSV - I think you just have to persist for a few games and get used to it. I get nhl here and it's in English - that's pretty much how I started getting into it.

Kennyj - top fight that first one - cheers!

JSV

Channel 5 show it in the middle of the night so I sometimes find myself watching it from time to time.

kennyj

Fox Sports experimented a couple of years ago by putting a blue haze around the puck and some people thought that it made it easier to follow. But that experiment kind of died out. I agree that it's hard to see at times, but they shoot the puck over 100 mph, so even at the games you can lose sight. Going to a couple of games makes a big difference.

The regular season games are OK, but the playoff games are great.

My father used to complain about the fights, saying they were fake. But one time I took him to a game. I had a small pair of binocs because we were sitting up high and the Islanders were playing Philly and I knew there would be a ton of fights with all of the bad blood between the teams. When the first fight broke out, I gave him the glasses. After that, whenever there was a fight, he'd grab them from me to watch, and he never said they were fake again. There were lots of fights outside after the game too. Flyer fans have always been a little crazy.

redfanatic

I love the NHL. We get one game a week live here and at least one other delayed. The pace and skill of the game is amazing. I watch any game i can, though i would love to get to the US or Canada to see a few, i think they would be even better live.

ManUtd.USA

Originally posted by kennyj:
<strong>Dans,
The toughest Broad Street Bully was Dave Schultz. The Flyers and Isles used to fight all the time. Schultz usually beat up on Gary Howatt of the Islanders (because Howatt was short). But Clarke Gillies finally beat the hell out of Schultz. Gillies had some good battles with Terry O'Reilly of the Boston Bruins too. Gillies didn't fight much, but I think he retired undefeated. Bobby Nystrum of the Isles was pretty tough too.
Once Schultz mercilessly hammered Dale Rolfe of the Rangers and the other Rangers stood around and watched. It was probably the lowest point in Ranger history.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would think the last few seasons have been low points for the Rangers.
:eek: Although I do feel your pain. Have been a life long Detroit RedWings and Montreal Canadiens fan. Detroit has been performing fairly well since the late 90's and well we won't even talk about Montreal. :rolleyes:

kennyj

Originally posted by ManUtd.USA:
<strong>

I would think the last few seasons have been low points for the Rangers.
:eek: Although I do feel your pain. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't mind the Rangers being down - I'm an Islander fan. :D Interesting battle between the Rangers and Isles for the last playoff spot this year. Only a dozen or so games left. I think that they play each other three times.

Playoff hockey is much much better than the regular season.

Conor16

Anyone see Vancouver vs St louis last night?! Jesus brad May made one hell of a second debut for the Canucks last night. 10 penalty mins and Marc crawford got kicked out, along with 8 goals and ot it was one hell of a game.