Rachel Williams

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

We've (kind of) known about this one for a while and some of the Twitter coverage has been been very harsh.

She's 34, a forward and played for Spurs last year. It's hard to see her as a starter, but Skinner knows her (she played for him at Birmingham) and presumably sees her as a good option for squad depth.

Lightbringer

I am appalled by this signing.

Please tell me why I should feel OK with it? Its not like we have world class line up strikers in the wings, eh? She should be cheap or? I would prefer to take the chances on a developing prospect instead!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This definitely looks like a signing to introduce more depth and experience to a relatively younger United team. This also means that Adriana Leon's going to play as a winger for us for sure.

MUW4Eva

The female version of the men's team signing someone like Troy Deeney, sad times, when we are signing players of her calibre.

City get Fowler, we get Williams, and on a two year deal as well....deary me, fair play to her agent, they are the true winners here.

A one year deal I could just about fathom, but two years, an unbelievably poor transfer from us.

No idea why we have signed her, give her game time to Edwards, as she offers far more.

I hope that I am really wrong here, but this transfer has all of the hallmarks of a manager just giving up on the transfer market, & signing someone that he knows once again.
A safe signing.
An easy siging.
A very low hanging fruit signing.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I am appalled by this signing.

Please tell me why I should feel OK with it? Its not like we have world class line up strikers in the wings, eh? She should be cheap or? I would prefer to take the chances on a developing prospect instead!
Still appalled?

Lightbringer

Still appalled?
Fair question :-)

First I am going to say I was appalled about the clubs ambition with Russo on an outgoing contract with only Thomas as a backup striker.

So going out and getting a 34 year old that probably was slowing down was not screaming we were investing, rather going for the cheap option.

4 goals in 34 matches for Tottenham between 2020 and 2022 was not exactly looking that promising with her getting up there in age.

Obviously Williams have proved me wrong in her sub role and been amazing at that. She is scoring at a higher rate at United than her previous 2 clubs even though she was younger then.

Skinner did know Rachel very well and it seems like he knew what he was doing and also knew she has the Midas Touch!

Conclusion: I am not appalled anymore since the club has shown its willing to invest and also Rachel turned out to be a gem :-)