Rank The Talents

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
All the names you mention have come through our Academy and are considered Academy products.
I was not the one disputing that. Moo claimed that Evans was the only 'true' academy product to become a top level player of recent times, thus we should only expect a one or two max to make it from this bunch. I opined that we might expect a few more as we have a few imports in the ranks, as a couple of recent imports went on to play at the very highest level. Nonetheless, whatever the technical definition of an academy product is: I would be surprised if many people considered Pique, in particular, as a product of ours.

jb8521

Two players who most are forgetting who Ive been very impressed by are Rothwell and Weir. I think Rothwell has been forgotten because of his injuries and I hope that he can come back from them because he looked like the under 18s best player at the start of last season and was the one who really drove the team forward. Weir I think gets overlooked because hes not as flashy as the likes of Daehli or Pereira but hes a vital part of the way the under 18s play and his development in the past year has been fantastic and lately he has started adding goals and assists to his game aswell.

Will Absolute

My lottery numbers:

1. Januzaj
2 - 3. Powell/Wilson
4 - 6. Daehli/Pereira/Petrucci
7. Pearson

I'd be confident the Keane bros. will make it at Prem level, but United is a bigger ask. I've been impressed by Love a couple of times.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck are three excellent players too. I would say that only Darren Fletcher since the class of 93 is in the same bracket as those three. It hasn't been a bad few years really.
Wesley Brown was a better player than Darren Fletcher I'd say.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck are three excellent players too. I would say that only Darren Fletcher since the class of 93 is in the same bracket as those three. It hasn't been a bad few years really.
Wesley Brown was a better player than Darren Fletcher I'd say.

mo0

I was not the one disputing that. Moo claimed that Evans was the only 'true' academy product to become a top level player of recent times, thus we should only expect a one or two max to make it from this bunch.
my apologies. you are both spot on. my poorly written post was simply meant to use Evans as an example. Cleverley and Welbeck are -of course- two shining products from the academy.

real point is around setting expectations of how many more you can truly squeeze through before you layer in a new manager - things obviously then get a little murkier. take Mourinho (for example) - not exactly a beacon of youth promotion at any of his clubs...just look at tonight's lineup when it comes to Spanish talent alone (only 4).

lysglimt

Scout
Blackett is great Physically and Technically good too. Just needs to get better in the air for his size and mainly get better positional awareness.

If he gains that with experience, he has a chance here.
Blackett seems to have a concentration problem - or at least he used to. Hardly seen him the last 8-10 months but before that he had a tendency to lose his man or his position every now and then

Swaters16

Blackett seems to have a concentration problem - or at least he used to. Hardly seen him the last 8-10 months but before that he had a tendency to lose his man or his position every now and then
Haven't seen really any where near enough to give an opinion on him like that, but if it was true I hope the staff would be helping him with it. Since he's so young, you'd think and kind of concentration issues would be ironed out with age and experience.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I was not the one disputing that. Moo claimed that Evans was the only 'true' academy product to become a top level player of recent times, thus we should only expect a one or two max to make it from this bunch. I opined that we might expect a few more as we have a few imports in the ranks, as a couple of recent imports went on to play at the very highest level. Nonetheless, whatever the technical definition of an academy product is: I would be surprised if many people considered Pique, in particular, as a product of ours.
Evans, Pique, Gibson, Rossi, Shawcross, Simpson all came through at the same time.

Welbeck, Cleverley, Amos are also Academy products who came through a couple of years later.

Macheda, Brady, King came next...

Since then Morrison, Pogba, Wootton, Tunnicliffe, the Keanes have all come through.

All are Academy products.

Pique is a product of both the Barcelona system and United system.

You have to start with certain criteria and then be consistent in applying that criteria against all players regardless of their circumstances.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I'd love to hear your view on the current academy crop Mr.MUJAC.

Mr. MUJAC

I'd love to hear your view on the current academy crop Mr.MUJAC.
Technically all very good, excellent team ethic but not sure many have that 'X' factor that will make them stand out enough to make the first team.

Januzaj, Wilson, Daehli, Harrop, Mitchell all have a chance but need to continue their progression.

None of them are anywhere near Morrison's standard at the same age.

But different players mature at different ages so patience is critical.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I can't say I've seen anything of Mitchell other than one video but have heard great things about him on here, I'm looking forward to see his progression in the next coupe years.

Also Mr Mujac, do you know how Harrop performs at under 16/17 level? Is he as good as he was against Swansea last year or that a one off against a tired already beaten team?

lysglimt

Scout
Technically all very good, excellent team ethic but not sure many have that 'X' factor that will make them stand out enough to make the first team.

Januzaj, Wilson, Daehli, Harrop, Mitchell all have a chance but need to continue their progression.

Mitchell scored for England U16 yesterday btw- him and Borthwick-Jackson both started

Cevno

What do you make of Giverin and Lawrence Mr.Mujac ?

And say there was a Sterling at the club, what level would he be at right now ? U18's ?

Mr. MUJAC

I can't say I've seen anything of Mitchell other than one video but have heard great things about him on here, I'm looking forward to see his progression in the next coupe years.

Also Mr Mujac, do you know how Harrop performs at under 16/17 level? Is he as good as he was against Swansea last year or that a one off against a tired already beaten team?
Harrop is very consistent with his performances...the Swansea cameo was not a fluke.

Mr. MUJAC

What do you make of Giverin and Lawrence Mr.Mujac ?

And say there was a Sterling at the club, what level would he be at right now ? U18's ?
Luke Giverin unfortunately can't get into our U/21 team and is enjoying a really good spell at Antwerp. He is a really nice lad and I hope he makes it with a decent career. I can't see that being at United given other talent we have.

Tom Lawrence has lost so much time through injury and is now in that limbo zone between U/18's and U/21's...very talented but just not getting any game time. Jury out!

Sterling is a player I just don't rate at all...but most disagree with me on this one. I think he has terrific pace but don't see all the hype.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Sorry for all the questions Mr Mujac...you must spend all day answering youth questions :)

I watch most of the u18/u21. Sometimes I don't think Barmby gets the credit he deserves...he always impresses me. Looks a real cultured sort of talent and is strong. Always knows what is in and around him...not only can he beat a man but he has quality control, an eye for goal and passing ability is classy.

What's your take on Jack?

Also sometimes I'd love to see a really pacey player with the ability to beat a few players..tricky and good control but lightning quick. Is Mitchell that sort?

Ta mate. Much appreciated.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Sterling is a player I just don't rate at all...but most disagree with me on this one. I think he has terrific pace but don't see all the hype.
I agree with you on that one. He looked sensational at youth level with that blistering pace but in the Premier League most players are quick, does he have enough other attributes to be a true top player, I am not sure.

Where are your books available from?

Cevno

I have to disagree on Sterling with you guys, tbh. He is quick and has the trickery to beat players.

Once his end product improves and he develops physically he will be a top player, but let's see.

Mr. MUJAC

Sorry for all the questions Mr Mujac...you must spend all day answering youth questions :)

I watch most of the u18/u21. Sometimes I don't think Barmby gets the credit he deserves...he always impresses me. Looks a real cultured sort of talent and is strong. Always knows what is in and around him...not only can he beat a man but he has quality control, an eye for goal and passing ability is classy.

What's your take on Jack?

Also sometimes I'd love to see a really pacey player with the ability to beat a few players..tricky and good control but lightning quick. Is Mitchell that sort?

Ta mate. Much appreciated.
He is still too inconsistent...which is quite normal for many youngsters. Time will tell.

Yes Mitchell has plenty of pace and can beat a man in a variety of different ways.

Genius Me!

Harrop is very consistent with his performances...the Swansea cameo was not a fluke.
Very glad to hear that, hopefully he gets to make the full transition to the u18s by next season and I can see more of him. I got the club to send me a copy of that match on DVD purely for his performance, it had me as excited as I've ever been over any youngster so hopefully he can transform those performances to higher levels.

Edit: what do you do that you have this fountain of knowledge?

Genius Me!

I have to disagree on Sterling with you guys, tbh. He is quick and has the trickery to beat players.

Once his end product improves and he develops physically he will be a top player, but let's see.
I agree with you, I hate Liverpool but I really want to see him do well for the love of football, it's really good to see exciting youngsters come through the academy into the first team no matter which club.

Mr. MUJAC

Very glad to hear that, hopefully he gets to make the full transition to the u18s by next season and I can see more of him. I got the club to send me a copy of that match on DVD purely for his performance, it had me as excited as I've ever been over any youngster so hopefully he can transform those performances to higher levels.

Edit: what do you do that you have this fountain of knowledge?
No fountain of knowledge...just an opinion.

Your views are equally valid and I've been wrong more times than right.

I've just been around a lot longer so have data to back up many of my thoughts.

Genius Me!

No fountain of knowledge...just an opinion.

Your views are equally valid and I've been wrong more times than right.

I've just been around a lot longer so have data to back up many of my thoughts.
No I didn't mean it to sound like that. I meant in the sense that I thought you might be in coaching or involved with the club in someway or you might just watch a lot of the youth matches? So yeah I suppose I was asking how you come to know so much about these players, like where do you watch Harrop and co?

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Not a lot of love for Ioannou, I think he's got a lot of talent.
Same here.

I know there's still plenty of time for him, but I've been a bit disappointed with how Blackett's developed. The criticism of him now is the same one of the last couple of seasons: lack of concentration. One would think he would've shown some progression in that area but he hasn't really.

Still though, there's time for him. Very talented kid.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

Always very interesting to read your opinion.

Not sure I agree with Janujaz lacking X factor and being nowhere near Morrison's level at a similar age, though.

What's your take on Thorpe being played in midfield this season? Is he in there to further certain aspects of his game or is it seen as his strongest position now?

Cevno

Thorpe needs a loan to gauge where he is at. Strange that he has not gone anywhere so far.

Decotron

Not sure I agree with Janujaz lacking X factor and being nowhere near Morrison's level at a similar age, though.

What's your take on Thorpe being played in midfield this season? Is he in there to further certain aspects of his game or is it seen as his strongest position now?
I seriously hope not........I still think he has the makings of a v classy centre half.

Mr. MUJAC

Januzaj is nowhere near Morrison's class imo...(at least not yet)...Morrison was running games, scoring goals regularly from 16-18 as evidenced in United's success in the 2011 Youth Cup run.

Januzaj has shown glimpses of talent and potential but has never had that type of impact.

Thorpe played in midfield most of last season too...I still think he is a better defender and I have no idea why Joyce continues to play him in midfield.