Rebuild Old Trafford - The comprehensive thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
To stop all the chatter building up in other threads about off topic stadium chatter (i.e: SJR bid thread) - All rebuild chatter can go in here!

Throw in all the ideas of how you think Old Trafford rebuild (i'm definitely of the mindset to knock it down and rebuild it. Old Wembley was iconic, Highbury was Iconic and they've all been rebuilt to have new, modern stadiums, if we want to compete with the big boys again we need a new stadium) should look or how you think it would look!

Please keep it serious and not have silly ideas here!

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

I reckon we've just got the space to do something similar to the above three. Build a new ground in part until we need to start knocking down bits of the old one to complete, knock down the ticket office and start from that far corner and work our way towards the NW quadrant and go from there. Build as far away from the railway line as possible. Would need to bridge over the canal though I think and car parking would be completely nullified so we'd need to work with the council to figure out something practically.

Alternatively, the temporary stadium option. As seen in Qatar currently but also elsewhere (West Ham/London/Olympic stadium was originally temporary at 60k for instance), you can build a completely new stadium temporarily, just erect a few stands like scaffholding to a reasonable capacity somewhere and knock OT down whilst we play elsewhere as construction of the new ground happens. Only issue there is where do you put the temporary ground? Can't really see scanning far and wide through Manchester and the surrounding area where it might go.

I just don't think it's remotely feasible to work with the current ground as is and get it up to scratch. Legroom needs sorting, access and egress, concourses, hospitality, etc. That's before you do anything about the South stand/railway situation which is always going to stop us I think.

red thru&thru

Alternatively, the temporary stadium option. As seen in Qatar currently but also elsewhere (West Ham/London/Olympic stadium was originally temporary at 60k for instance), you can build a completely new stadium temporarily, just erect a few stands like scaffholding to a reasonable capacity somewhere and knock OT down whilst we play elsewhere as construction of the new ground happens. Only issue there is where do you put the temporary ground? Can't really see scanning far and wide through Manchester and the surrounding area where it might go.
I wonder if we could build a youth/women's stadium first on the site. Once that is done, we could move into there and start work on the main stadium?!

Does anyone have a map of the area the club owns in and around the stadium?

Sushi Kagawa

We own a lot of the land around OT so we should have a lot of space to build a new stadium.

If not then we will need somewhere to play like Goodison Park etc whilst building is taking place

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Excuse my ignore but can't we play in Manchester City's stadium up till OT is rebuilt? Its owned by the local council right?

Infra-red

Build a new stadium on the land adjacent to Old Trafford, demolishing Old Trafford only once the new stadium is complete (continue to play home games there in the interim). Then, build a second smaller stadium on the current Old Trafford site for the youth/women's teams (perhaps even incorporating existing elements from the current OT stadium).

United youth & women's sides playing their games on the original hallowed turf at OT, perhaps under the shadow of the South Stand and the Munich Tunnel. Men's first team in a brand new 90k stadium next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.