Reclaiming the Stretford End

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This has been mentioned in a couple of threads but just laying out the details of the plans to reorganise the Stretford End this summer.
Getting rid of the exec section in the Stretty is a great move and something the likes of MUST have campaigned for for years.

Will end up with an area of 4,500 covering several blocks from above the players tunnel to the middle of the Stretford End - part of this will be The Red Army (TRA) moving to a bigger area and part will be fans moving from other sections of the ground to the standing area being vacated by TRA.

There has been a lot wrong with decisions made at the club in recent times, but they are making a decent effort to try and improve the atmosphere at least.

In January 2023, following discussions with our Fans’ Advisory Board, Fans’ Forum and MUST, we committed to replacing the executive seating in the heart of the Stretford End with general admission seating in time for the 2024/25 season – making the Stretford End accessible to all our fans.

This commitment is on track, with initial investigative work complete and construction work, including extending the concourse, is due to take place at the end of this season in time for August.

Following discussions with The Red Army (TRA) – our fan group dedicated to improving atmosphere at Old Trafford - we have agreed they will occupy up to 2,700 seats across blocks W205-W208. They requested the central seats vacated by our Executive Club members and we have supported this and located them in the heart of our iconic stand, demonstrating our commitment to a loud and vibrant Old Trafford. We therefore have 1,800 seats / rail seats across blocks W209-212 to populate as follows.....

https://www.manutd.com/en/tickets-and-hospitality/reclaiming-the-stretford-end-2024-25

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
This is a welcome development.

There now needs to be a commitment to keep ticket prices at a reasonable level.

Any major increases due to the cost of the OT rebuild/revamp will kill any improved atmosphere.

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
I’m moving with 5 others who all had separate seats dotted around in Stretford End tier two. We’ve all been part of TRA for many years but the group is getting bigger so you weren’t guaranteed a seat in TRA for every game.
Hopefully this is going to make a better atmosphere in the Stretford End.

Flying high

Having the TRA tucked away in the corner next to the south stand was always a daft idea.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I’m moving with 5 others who all had separate seats dotted around in Stretford End tier two. We’ve all been part of TRA for many years but the group is getting bigger so you weren’t guaranteed a seat in TRA for every game.
Hopefully this is going to make a better atmosphere in the Stretford End.
I will also be moving from J Stand with a large group of others, looking forward to it !

Having the TRA tucked away in the corner next to the south stand was always a daft idea.
It's difficult for the club to find space for this kind of thing, they tried with J.Stand but pissed off a load of people who didn't want to move

Reclaiming the Exec section in the Stretty gives a once in a decade opportunity for a clean slate in a significant part of the ground

Also a good idea to put in the criteria for groups of mates and those fans who applied for most away games, these are the ones most likely to make some noise

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sounds like the Stretford End isn't what it was when I regularly "stood" there in the late 70's/Early 80's. In retrospect it is amazing there weren't regular mass casualties, given the metal surge barriers and the constant crowd surges.

Vanrouge

Sounds like the Stretford End isn't what it was when I regularly "stood" there in the late 70's/Early 80's. In retrospect it is amazing there weren't regular mass casualties, given the metal surge barriers and the constant crowd surges.
My girlfriend got caught behind one of those barriers once. The surge knocked the breath out of her, and she literally couldn't breathe in. Getting everyone to surge back was easier said than done, as it required passing the message all the way to those at the back. A genuinely scary moment.

wolvored

Went to a game mid 80s against Stoke and at the end my mates son tripped and I fell on him and then everyone fell on top of me. I couldnt breathe and mates son was wailing. Probably lasted 10 seconds and the crowd started backing up. He had a bloody nose (went to hospital for check but not broken or anything) I had a bruise on my chest the day after. Frightening times and thats why I am against standing. Seating much safer.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
TBH in those days that was pretty much any top flight ground, Hillsborough was inevitable, just a matter of which ground it would happen at, the worst game surge wise I was at was the '84 Barca game, the Stretty was mental, at the time I loved it but looking at it now, WTF, it's a miracle no one died!

Denis' cuff

The trick in the Stret, if you were vulnerable, was to get on the big step , which ran the whole width of the SE. The barriers were immediately behind you, so you were protected and had a great view. The steps were only about 3 or 4” high , each, from memory, but the big step was about 18”. Having said that, we usually preferred the rough and tumble of being further back, behind the tunnel but we made sure we got on the big step eg: for the Blackpool game after we won promotion and also the Barca 84 game.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Went to a game mid 80s against Stoke and at the end my mates son tripped and I fell on him and then everyone fell on top of me. I couldnt breathe and mates son was wailing. Probably lasted 10 seconds and the crowd started backing up. He had a bloody nose (went to hospital for check but not broken or anything) I had a bruise on my chest the day after. Frightening times and thats why I am against standing. Seating much safer.
Safe standing today is completely different to terracing back then - it's taken a while for people to understand this but, credit to the club and the likes of MUST, Old Trafford has been the pioneer in the move to bring back standing in England.

After the initial small scale trials in J Stand, there are now 6000 safe standing tickets at Old Trafford and I hope that will keep growing.