g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Redcafe Sheep Draft - MJJ vs VivaJanuzaj

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VivaJanuzaj

He is well suited to that role, although you wouldn't be wrong in saying he has played in more advanced roles as much as (if not more) than Verón, which is what makes the whole argument mind-boggling.
In Tottenham maybe, but in Madrid he rarely plays an advanced role, usually sits deep and since Madrid attack a whole lot he looks more advanced than his initial role..
I don't think there's anything wrong with this argument, Modric is brilliant playmaking from deep and I think he's more suited for that than Veron. Veron's roaming forward is better imo. I hate it when people get over nostalgic and think today's players are rubbish and every retired player was a legend, happens to you with Cavani and happening to me with Modric Sanchez and Baines.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
In Tottenham maybe, but in Madrid he rarely plays an advanced role, usually sits deep and since Madrid attack a whole lot he looks more advanced than his initial role..
I don't think there's anything wrong with this argument, Modric is brilliant playmaking from deep and I think he's more suited for that than Veron. Veron's roaming forward is better imo. I hate it when people get over nostalgic and think today's players are rubbish and every retired player was a legend, happens to you with Cavani and happening to me with Modric Sanchez and Baines.
I'm not overly nostalgic. Modric has played there at Madrid but played more advanced for the best part of his career, which is why arguing Verón can't do it and is more attacking seems really odd. I haven't said Verón would be better though, even mentioned Modric would be more dynamic and better suited to deal with constant pressing (not as regular an occurrence in Verón's heyday).

The two pairs are comparable, that's all that's been said, and they are. Preference beyond that is down to personal taste, but there's no scope for saying Verón can't playmake from deep or that Ince was solely a defensive midfielder.

antohan

So you are playing Modric in a Pirlo role here? A creative CM is best I can describe. Deep lying playmaker, he is not.
Nah, I think he means playmaking from midfield, as in a Scholes role, for instance. That is, not the more advanced playmaker Modric was at Tottenham.

VivaJanuzaj

I'm not overly nostalgic. Modric has played there at Madrid but played more advanced for the best part of his career, which is why arguing Verón can't do it and is more attacking seems really odd. I haven't said Verón would be better though, even mentioned Modric would be more dynamic and better suited to deal with constant pressing (not as regular an occurrence in Verón's heyday).

The two pairs are comparable, that's all that's been said, and they are. Preference beyond that is down to personal taste, but there's no scope for saying Verón can't playmake from deep or that Ince was solely a defensive midfielder.
Alright I understand that's fair.
Nah, I think he means playmaking from midfield, as in a Scholes role, for instance. That is, not the more advanced playmaker Modric was at Tottenham.
Yep.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
2-23?

Jesus Christ. Never is that a fair score line!

Unfortunately I've been tied down at work which sucks. But oh well! Congrats

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He is well suited to that role, although you wouldn't be wrong in saying he has played in more advanced roles as much as (if not more) than Verón, which is what makes the whole argument mind-boggling.
Maybe just a different perception of 'deep lying playmaker'. I'd think that Pirlo, Alonso, Redondo, Guardiola, Carrick (last year), and (I agreed) even Veron are ones in that category.

Although I agree that, as proven, Modric won't have problem in midfield two, though.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I'm not going to write anything big as the game is clearly over but anyone saying Hagi cannot play on the wing knows absolutely nothing about him at all. Playing as a winger and playing on the wing is different.

Same applies to Aguero. People seem to think in the modern game a number 10 has to be technical to fashion out chances. That's utterly bullshit and honestly i would go as far as to say there is a bias against Aguero if you think he can't play off the striker, as he has been doing so to deadly effect for City for some time. Sorry but I can't fathom some of the comments, they are that crazy.

Vidal and Veron is the perfect combination in midfield. Technicality with energy. Power with finesse. Aggression with creativity. Grossly overlooked too.

I've seen no mention of Ayala and Vidic being a strong partnership. Two defenders who excelled in their era and who for perfectly.

It's disappointing when people vote and don't say why they voted. Those who did say why, I respect their opinions. But somewhere along the thought, I think people have seriously forgotten how good some of the players in this team are and were.

VJ has a good team, and certainly I'm not saying he should be losing - him winning may well be fair. But not 2-23. That just seems odd. People have neglected some key facts here lol.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@rpitroda

From what I see, playing Aguero/Hagi on those positions is not going to fail miserable, but at the same time is not their best positions is what the comments say. Again the point of who is marking out Laudrup is missing from stobz writeup. These 2 influenced the vote and SAtobz being sick and not able to defend added to the score.

antohan

@rpitroda

From what I see, playing Aguero/Hagi on those positions is not going to fail miserable, but at the same time is not their best positions is what the comments say. Again the point of who is marking out Laudrup is missing from stobz writeup. These 2 influenced the vote and SAtobz being sick and not able to defend added to the score.
:confused: Wrong game?

antohan

I'm not going to write anything big as the game is clearly over but anyone saying Hagi cannot play on the wing knows absolutely nothing about him at all. Playing as a winger and playing on the wing is different.
Cue a long-winded debate ala "was Stoichkov a winger or a roaming forward who could play on either wing?".

I get the point, and I agree Agüero is not ineffective where he is either. It's just rather odd. Hagi centrally with another right winger would be more appealing, for the exact same reasons Nedved-Laudrup-Sánchez looks more appealing. This from someone who has played Laudrup as an inside right several times, because that's what was required.

Where possible, you want to build around your best players and play them where you will get the most out of them. What strikes you about that frontline is it doesn't look like it was put together to suit anyone in particular, while Viva's looks coherent and built to compliment the star players extremely well.

That's the big difference here. As I mentioned earlier, if it were about the back 6 you would be winning this.

VivaJanuzaj

@rpitroda I agree that the scoreline doesn't reflect the differences between the sides and it should be much closer, but the problem in this matchup is that Laudrup will be given too much space, and that is one player you just can't give that space. As good as Vidal/Veron is, if you had either of them replaced with a weaker but more defensive midfielder, who could've lowered the influence Laudrup has on a match(not cancel him out, but simply make his life harder), that might've changed the match. At this current game Laudrup isn't being troubled by anyone apart from either of Vidic/Ayala, leaving the other against Crespo all by themselves basically. I'll bet on Laudrup and Crespo against these two as good as they were(and I also mentioned that the might be slightly better than my highly rated proven pair) any day.

In the whole Hagi discussion, I didn't say he can't be a winger, I said I never saw him play wide right, and asked for proof he used to play there. The best players in the world aren't dumb, they are versatile and can move around, influencing the match from several positions. And people tend to think that because someone was a "right winger" he can never play "left wing". Hagi could play there, but like I said earlier and antohan said too, it's not about did you or did you not play him out of position, it's about how your best player will come in handy in this game and I'm using my best player, who is also better than your best one, to it's best while you are not. And that's a problem.
But as for the whole "out of position" thing, its just a matter of making the best out of your best players. Hell! I might play Nedved RW next match, and although he was better at LW the truth is that they are the smartest and best football players ever, they are able to move around and switch positions! People look on these formations and say: "hmm, Hagi on RW, he won't move an inch and he'll only face Baines here".. Football doesn't work this way.

Anyway, fair play.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
@rpitroda - I understand your frustration, the score line is way too lop sided. Games in this draft have been very odd, in the last one, I would say most scorelines were close and fair.

Regarding, Hagi even if he can play well on the wing, the issue is that he should not be. It is one thing putting him wide for someone like Zidane but with your roster, he should be playing in his best position.

VivaJanuzaj

@VivaJanuzaj - After the sheep and Modric/Laudrup pick, I was not sure how your final team would turn out to be, but a landslide victory in forst game is the way to go! Congrats.
:D It was actually Brilliant pick-Sheep-Brilliant pick-sheep(Laudrup-sheep-Nedved-sheep) :lol:
Thanks! although I feel Modric is being looked as a weak link in this draft for some reason.