Reducing headers for safety

redshaw

They could ban headers from goal kicks, you either control it with your feet or it let it bounce. Perhaps using your chest from goal kicks frequently could lead to heart issues? Problem is where do you draw the line on the range and height of a pass/kick, defenders could take them after a short pass from the keeper but I think it would have to be ref discretion that you're just moving the goal kick so that too is flagged as a pass/kick you can't head. I think players would learn quickly they can't jump for a ball that's been launched and could lead to better football and emphasize ball control.

I'd guess much of the damage is from many headers via long high balls, if you can reduce that and stop doing it in training I think things like corners could remain, they tend to be more glancing and steered, a bit like angled free kicks into the box but you could have dangerous head on impact with a long high ball heading it back out from a free kick 40-50 yards out.

Stopping headers from goals kicks or what are perceived to be goal kicks taken by a defender could be a start. The impact is huge from heading a ball via typical goal kick.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
They could ban headers from goal kicks, you either control it with your feet or it let it bounce. Perhaps using your chest from goal kicks frequently could lead to heart issues? Problem is where do you draw the line on the range and height of a pass/kick, defenders could take them after a short pass from the keeper but I think it would have to be ref discretion that you're just moving the goal kick so that too is flagged as a pass/kick you can't head. I think players would learn quickly they can't jump for a ball that's been launched and could lead to better football and emphasize ball control.

I'd guess much of the damage is from many headers via long high balls, if you can reduce that and stop doing it in training I think things like corners could remain, they tend to be more glancing and steered, a bit like angled free kicks into the box but you could have dangerous head on impact with a long high ball heading it back out from a free kick 40-50 yards out.

Stopping headers from goals kicks or what are perceived to be goal kicks taken by a defender could be a start. The impact is huge from heading a ball via typical goal kick.
I think you're overcomplicating a bit.

It's simple, we just ban heading.

Solved. Now we can move on to the more importing things, like how do we prevent leg cancer?

Pughnichi

Lets see De Bruyne rack up all those assists crossing one of these bad boys. The true litmus test for football talent is being accurate with one of those on a windswept field.

I’d love to see a charity match with a fly-away

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Why do any kind of activity with risk. You can get run over walking out of your house.

Players should be aware of the tiny risk in later life from heading the ball and can choose to take it or not. Kids should be playing with smaller lighter balls anyway, bit again it should be up to the parents.

I reckon in 50 years people will look back at how ridiculous and over risk averse the current era is. Whilst everyone just ignored the real problems for mental health, like smart phones, social media etc due to the money they generate.
100%

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We have enough technology and knowledge to be able to design a practical helmet that can be used in football without risking smashing other peoples faces.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Which is more important to you?

A. The game remains as it was and people can header the ball.

B. The game adapts to move away from heading and the chance of players developing dementia is reduced.

My dad has dementia and I can tell you it is an absolutely horrendous disease. Not only for him but the entire family and his friends of which he has only a few left.
It’s a horrendous disease but there’s already been significant progress in research fields to delay it and it wouldn’t surprise me if they find a way to reverse it in the future. Heading is an integral part of football and without it the sport would in no way be as good.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I believe this to be the most moronic post of 2024.
No what's more moronic is you and others who feel football should be restricted to being played on the grass because a small fraction of ex pros suffer from a disease cause from heading the ball.

So what then happens to Boxing and kick boxing, no more punches and kick to the head?

Abizzz

I'm up for somehow limiting it in the youth game but agree that it's a occupational hazard for the pros. The only thing I would like seeing tested is if softer balls are viable without changing the game too much. I've played with all sorts of different quality ones and as long as they're not flat all it takes is adjusting and you can have a game with any of them.

Statistically I'd be interested what the dangers are in relation to other occupations. I do think it is acceptable that careers that end in retirement at 30-35 take a different toll on the body than careers where you work 35-45 years.

Kellyiom

In 10 or 15 years time, people will think it was absolutely crazy players were ever allowed to head a football hurtling at 50 miles per hour or coming down from a 70 metre kick.

And they will be correct too. Can you imagine what that does to the brain? Now think about players training daily, playing matches every 3 days where they do that maybe 5 or 6 times a match. Literally thousands of times a year they’re shaking their brain like that. It’s bonkers really. It’s just been so normalised over the last century.
So true, I've been to a couple of the NFL games in London in hospitality and had notable ex-players on our table.

It's very obvious that they have suffered some kind of trauma, got that '1000 yard stare'.

I started getting massive seizures out of nowhere about 7 years ago and it was caused by an historic brain haemorrhage which I knew nothing about!

I think a regular scanning program is essential but I suspect it might make for uncomfortable reading.

Kellyiom

Which is more important to you?

A. The game remains as it was and people can header the ball.

B. The game adapts to move away from heading and the chance of players developing dementia is reduced.

My dad has dementia and I can tell you it is an absolutely horrendous disease. Not only for him but the entire family and his friends of which he has only a few left.
Stay strong @Pexbo, I know all too well how cruel that illness is.

Lu Tze

Perhaps it should be IQ based, test 'em, if they're over 110 they can afford to lose a few, so let them head away. Ban people like Le Tissier who really can't afford to lose any brainpower.

Pughnichi

Perhaps it should be IQ based, test 'em, if they're over 110 they can afford to lose a few, so let them head away. Ban people like Le Tissier who really can't afford to lose any brainpower.
MLT must have just spent hrs as a kid doing keepie uppies with his head alone

Jericho

In 10 or 15 years time, people will think it was absolutely crazy players were ever allowed to head a football hurtling at 50 miles per hour or coming down from a 70 metre kick.

And they will be correct too. Can you imagine what that does to the brain? Now think about players training daily, playing matches every 3 days where they do that maybe 5 or 6 times a match. Literally thousands of times a year they’re shaking their brain like that. It’s bonkers really. It’s just been so normalised over the last century.
I doubt it. Boxing, MMA, the NFL and the list goes on. There's much worse going on for a long time and nobody has come to that conclusion yet. We even have powerslap now.

Stadjer

Yes. Being that stupid isnt caused by heading. That is natural ability.

Although i wouldnt be against reducing headers. I dont find headers that much fun to watch. Poor Fellaini his life would have been very different if headers werent allowed.

tomaldinho1

Yes. Being that stupid isnt caused by heading. That is natural ability.

Although i wouldnt be against reducing headers. I dont find headers that much fun to watch. Poor Fellaini his life would have been very different if headers werent allowed.
Surely here we find the solution. All players must sport the Fellaini natural cushion hairstyle, if you can't grow on naturally, you wear a Khabib wig.

Stadjer

I had to look this up. Just when you thought television couldn't get any stupider, this comes along.
Ive seen people argue the opposite. Attractive women dressed in lingerie who slap eachother. Some call it the greatest invention since fire

tothetop96

If heading was banned then players would just improve volleying, chesting and shouldering the ball and we’d start to see incredible goals scored using those methods. The only argument anyone can make to keep heading in the game is just that it’s always been in the game. I haven’t seen anyone make a decent argument as to why players should have to risk brain damage to play. There’s no reason it’s needed and the game would be absolutely fine without it.

Steve Bruce

If heading was banned then players would just improve volleying, chesting and shouldering the ball and we’d start to see incredible goals scored using those methods. The only argument anyone can make to keep heading in the game is just that it’s always been in the game. I haven’t seen anyone make a decent argument as to why players should have to risk brain damage to play. There’s no reason it’s needed and the game would be absolutely fine without it.
Some of the best bits of play whether it's a goal or defensive comes from heading. The reason why it's always been in the game is because it's part of the game.

You take a fundamental part of the game away it's then a different game.

Also it doesn't address goalkeeping. 1 on 1 they often get a ball blasted hitting their face/head and in the nuts which could cause serious health issues. They also get hit in the head with a foot or knee in 50/50s.

There's a lot of players that are in wheel chairs in constant pain and agony because there joints are shot from playing football.

You join the arm forces, you know you could be in a warzone and be killed.

You become a bus driver you could be held at gunpoint or knifed or be in a serious accident.

You become a roofer, you could fall and seriously hurt or kill yourself. The building trade in general is very dangerous

Only today I was up ladders. I had someone spot me but that doesn't mean a gust of wind or me suddenly have a dizzy spell can't happen and I go flying off to my death.

My point is we all know the potential health pitfalls of playing the game, it should be up to each individual to decide if the reward outweighs the risk.

What needs to be done is constantly monitor people's health and find new ways to make heading safer. Whether it's some sort of outer skin on the ball that absorbs or disperses the kinetic energy away from the head or some sort of head gear that can minimise the impact to the head.

Formula one used to have deaths every season, quite often multiple deaths. They found new ways to make it safer be it more tire walls, bigger run offs, better dispersion of energy going through the car etc. Now it's not very common for a F1 driver to lose his life.