Reserves Draft | Downcast 6-7 Tuppet

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I felt that the lack of an actual top-class playmaker was the difference between the teams. If not for that, Downcasts would've been the better team

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I like both teams to be fair. Downcast trio is excellent, so is Tuppet one, but the former gets the edge for me because it's a proven combo and I feel Suarez is more complete striker than Bican.

Next - Blanchflower is a deep lying playmaker but will need to do a lot of defending against Downcast midfielders. I think Downcast have the edge there in terms of ball wining. Gerrard will have a huge role here however to get the ball to the attackers, but having in mind the quality 3 there he will have a lot of options, I think Downcast shades here for me as well.

Tuppet's defensive line however is better than Downcast and he has a tactical advantage IMO in terms of style as he well noted a high line is something you'd like to be up against when you have Bican as a forward.

It's real tough game but Downcast team just shaded it for me.
@Enigma_87

Thank you :) Happy to see someone who takes the time to participate in the discussion and explain his vote.

Moreover, you share the same understanding of the game: the idea is not to make the sum of players with good stats but to have a clear strategy and build a team, so a balanced & performing one. All the players have to be in their most natural position and excell in these positions.

I have to admit the propaganda of my opponent has worked very well :devil:, a summary below

- Excellent individual stats so guaranteed collective performance :nono: Look at the Inter Milan team 1998/2000 with fantastic players but a disappointing in collective terms and results

- Propaganda saying that Mazzola is the perfect player who will call all the shots, a mix of Beckenbauer-Thuram-Ronaldo-Zidane-Best :smirk:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Agreed, even if the colour coding was a fecking eyesore :lol:. He was unlucky to lose after such a good effort in the match thread, and I think he nailed the hard pressing aspect of his tactics and the composition of his defence very well.
Hard pressing mate and Dutch style :D

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Agreed, even if the colour coding was a fecking eyesore :lol:. He was unlucky to lose after such a good effort in the match thread, and I think he nailed the hard pressing aspect of his tactics and the composition of his defence very well.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Enigma_87

You know who
I felt that the lack of an actual top-class playmaker was the difference between the teams. If not for that, Downcasts would've been the better team
I think you are spot on here. A more classic playmaker instead of Gerrard would've tipped it in his favor. However I can see the reason for picking more "industrious" player like Gerrard as he'd seem a better fit for what Downcast wanted to achieve here.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I think you are spot on here. A more classic playmaker instead of Gerrard would've tipped it in his favor. However I can see the reason for picking more "industrious" player like Gerrard as he'd seem a better fit for what Downcast wanted to achieve here.
The other reason was the partnership gerrard-suarez on and off the pitch :)

harms

Staff
To be frank I think that even a classic playmaker instead of Ardiles would've worked. Even though I despise Starfish, he is actually a good fit here - as an inferior version of Neeskens

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
To be frank I think that even a classic playmaker instead of Ardiles would've worked. Even though I despise Starfish, he is actually a good fit here - as an inferior version of Neeskens
Sure, but the idea was to duplicate the Netherlands of the 70s without a classic playmaker.

Cruyff was a false 9: sometimes classic playmaker or advanced striker.

Of course, someone like Ardiles can't compete with Neeskens or Van Hanegem in terms of offensive contribution.

@Downcast

I was meaning to post about the game but was too busy at work and I was going to vote for you too. :(

It's the thought that counts ;)

harms

Staff
Sure, but the idea was to duplicate the Netherlands of the 70s without a classic playmaker.

Cruyff was a false 9: sometimes classic playmaker or advanced striker.

Of course, someone like Ardiles can't compete with Neeskens or Van Hanegem in terms of offensive contribution.
Well, you answered yourself. Netherlands 1974 had Van Hanegem - and no one from your team emulates him. Gerrard is okay as a cheap Neeskens imitation, but you had no one remotely close to V.H. and that's the point.