Stam
Dunne

Charlton
Keane

Ronaldo
Law
Rooney
Best

Some surprises in that team maybe. IMO The one that sticks out being Tony Dunne at LB. Saw him many times. Short 5ft 6in (1,68m) and very quick. As good has he was he doesn’t make my eleven. Irwin played on the left flank but because we have a shortage of world class players at RB then I´ll go along with Robbo`s choice. Apparently Irwin was that good he could play on the right.

Duncan Edwards is the only player I haven´t seen play. I was only 5yrs old when he died at the age of 21. However for someone to make his England debut aged 16, I´ll go along with Robbo and my late father (who adored him) and automatically pick him.

The only change I would make to that team would be to stick Evra in at LB instead of Dunne, otherwise I’m happy with the rest. Some unbelievable players are left out of that team but I can see where Robbo’s coming from with that choice. BTW he didn’t pick himself as he’s opted for the manager role.

Definately a good balance in that team 5 from the Busby era and 6 who played under SAF.

Some team that is!

Anyone agree?

Saddy

As follows:

Schmeichel

Irwin
Edwards
Stam
Dunne

Charlton
Keane

Ronaldo
Law
Rooney
Best

Some surprises in that team maybe. IMO The one that sticks out being Tony Dunne at LB. Saw him many times. Short 5ft 6in (1,68m) and very quick. As good has he was he doesn’t make my eleven. Irwin played on the left flank but because we have a shortage of world class players at RB then I´ll go along with Robbo`s choice. Apparently Irwin was that good he could play on the right.

Duncan Edwards is the only player I haven´t seen play. I was only 5yrs old when he died at the age of 21. However for someone to make his England debut aged 16, I´ll go along with Robbo and my late father (who adored him) and automatically pick him.

The only change I would make to that team would be to stick Evra in at LB instead of Dunne, otherwise I’m happy with the rest. Some unbelievable players are left out of that team but I can see where Robbo’s coming from with that choice. BTW he didn’t pick himself as he’s opted for the manager role.

Definately a good balance in that team 5 from the Busby era and 6 who played under SAF.

Some team that is!

Anyone agree?
Great team and plenty of other options but sticking to those players - move Edwards into midfield and bring Ferdinand into CB. Then sadly drop Law to the bench !

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I have no first hand account of anything pre-mid nineties, but just based on what I have watched I would have either Rio or Vidic ahead of Stam (Stam was great but Rio is the out and out best defender I've seen play for us and Vidic is the only player I'd consider changing that opinion in favour of).

Would really want to find a place for Scholes as well but I never saw Charlton play and he obviously wasn't bad, and then the front 4 its very hard to take any of them out.

Also maybe controversial but I thought VDS was better than Schmeichel, but can probably go either way on that.

svn

I mean, a 4-2-4, with one of the midfielders being Bobby isn't really a proper team. May as well just pick his favourite goalkeeper and then 10 outfield players.

next_number_seven

As follows:

Schmeichel

Irwin
Edwards
Stam
Dunne

Charlton
Keane

Ronaldo
Law
Rooney
Best

Some team that is!

Anyone agree?
4 Irish players is pretty good and Rooney has Irish blood, so 4 and a half Irish players.

Alpha 1

As follows:

Schmeichel

Irwin
Edwards
Stam
Dunne

Charlton
Keane

Ronaldo
Law
Rooney
Best

Some team that is!

Anyone agree?
My opinion:
Schmeichel

G. Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Keane
Robson
Scholes

Ronaldo
Rooney
Cantona

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As follows:

Schmeichel

Irwin
Edwards
Stam
Dunne

Charlton
Keane

Ronaldo
Law
Rooney
Best

Some team that is!

Anyone agree?
When we bought Irwin he was playing RB for Oldham

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
vds
neville rio vidic irwin
best keane scholes charlton
law rooney
neville is criminally underrated, irwin is a no brainer and while you could make the case for schmeikes and stam the difference between counterparts is marginal and those three have brilliant chemistry.

its best or ronaldo for me, imo its best. keane paired with older version of scholes and man united goat from the left with a lot of freedom.

rooney and law up front, there is no real competition.

Pintu

In a 343:
VDS
Stam Rio Vidic
Charlton Scholes Keane Gigs
Cantona Rooney Best​

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Players I've actually seen play:

Schmeichel

Neville - - - - - - - Ferdinand - - - - - - - Stam - - - - - - - - Irwin

Keane - - - - - - Scholes

Ronaldo - - - - - - - - - - - Cantona - - - - - - - - - - - - - Giggs

Rooney

Subs: Van der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Robson, Ince, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Van Nistelrooy, Cole

Names from before my time that would surely be in the team or thereabouts: Best, Charlton, Edwards, Law....

The bulk of my team comes from the treble winning era of players. 4 of the back 5 for example, with the addition of Ferdinand, one of the greatest CBs of the modern era. I don't think that front 6 can really be argued with much, in terms of the players that have had thew greatest impact and talent of the last 30 odd years. The amount of leadership, and diverse and complimentary skillsets, is just insane. I would have loved to have included Beckham somehow, but in terms of pure impact, ability and goals, it is impossible to leave Ronaldo out. No matter how much I dislike him as a person.

I find it very hard to create a team including players that I never saw play live because they were just way too far ahead of my time. So I've named checked them, but restricted my selection to players I actually watched hundreds of times.

KeanoMagicHat

Players I've actually seen play:

Schmeichel

Neville - - - - - - - Ferdinand - - - - - - - Stam - - - - - - - - Irwin

Keane - - - - - - Scholes

Ronaldo - - - - - - - - - - - Cantona - - - - - - - - - - - - - Giggs

Rooney

Subs: Van der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Robson, Ince, Beckham, Kanchelskis, Van Nistelrooy, Cole

Names from before my time that would surely be in the team or thereabouts: Best, Charlton, Edwards, Law....

The bulk of my team comes from the treble winning era of players. 4 of the back 5 for example, with the addition of Ferdinand, one of the greatest CBs of the modern era. I don't think that front 6 can really be argued with much, in terms of the players that have had thew greatest impact and talent of the last 30 odd years. The amount of leadership, and diverse and complimentary skillsets, is just insane. I would have loved to have included Beckham somehow, but in terms of pure impact, ability and goals, it is impossible to leave Ronaldo out. No matter how much I dislike him as a person.
Vidic > Stam imo, dunno why so many underrate probably the best centre back in our history. He did what Stam did but for longer. Fifa World XI x2, ESM Team of the Year x3, PFA Team of the Year x4, Premier League Player of the Season x2.

In his peak, he kept a record 14 straight clean sheets in 2008-09 as United conceded just 24 goals (United conceded 37 in the treble season). In that 14 game spell he played every game and scored a last minute winner against Sunderland (Ferdinand missed 6 of those games through injury). They beat Chelsea 3-0 with Vidic scoring, then dominating peak Drogba without Ferdinand .He won Premier League Player of the Season and would have won PFA Player of the Season but for a strange sentimental vote for Giggs. No other United centre back has ever really got close to winning an individual award, but Vidic was truly elite.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Vidic > Stam imo, dunno why so many underrate probably the best centre back in our history. He did what Stam did but for longer. Fifa World XI x2, ESM Team of the Year x3, PFA Team of the Year x4, Premier League Player of the Season x2.

In his peak, he kept a record 14 straight clean sheets in 2008-09 as United conceded just 24 goals (United conceded 37 in the treble season). In that 14 game spell he played every game and scored a last minute winner against Sunderland (Ferdinand missed 6 of those games through injury). They beat Chelsea 3-0 with Vidic scoring, then dominating peak Drogba without Ferdinand .He won Premier League Player of the Season and would have won PFA Player of the Season but for a strange sentimental vote for Giggs. No other United centre back has ever really got close to winning an individual award, but Vidic was truly elite.
I don't underrate Vidic. I am a huge fan. He was brilliant. He's my third choice CB, as you can see from my bench. And I agree that he did it longer than Stam, not least because Jaap suffered a horrific injury. He also didn't have a brilliant partner like Ferdinand for most of his career at United. But for me, at his peak, on his day, it is impossible to leave Stam out. He was so, so good.

KeanoMagicHat

I don't underrate Vidic. I am a huge fan. He was brilliant. He's my third choice CB, as you can see from my bench. And I agree that he did it longer than Stam, not least because Jaap suffered a horrific injury. He also didn't have a brilliant partner like Ferdinand for most of his career at United. But for me, at his peak, on his day, it is impossible to leave Stam out. He was so, so good.
Fair enough, it is a tough choice between Vidic, Ferdinand and Stam.

Dazzmondo

Looks a good team to me. Wouldn't have Tony Dunne in there. All of Irwin, Evra and G Neville were better imo. I've only seen 1 full game of Edwards (he played cb) so can't judge him fairly like I can the others in the team. For me it's still Vida and Rio (Stam 3rd).

Btw Irwin was signed as a rb and played most of his 1st season with us on the right before switching to the left the following season.

Personally Scholes is a non-negotiable for me. I get why Robbo and Keane wouldn't pick him since they were very much all action runners, but Scholes' ability to dictate the tempo of a game and think 10 steps ahead is something no other Utd player has ever emulated imo.

We have countless amazing strikers so can't really begrudge a Law-Wazza duo. My opinion on the front 2 would probably change a lot tbh, but I do really love Eric.

Like Scholes, Ronaldo and Best are non-negotiables for me. Each were the best player in the world while at Utd. Simply have to be there.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'd have Stam and Rio at CBs, but I never had the pleasure of watching Edwards

surf

Robbo should put himself in midfield alongside Keane and behind Charlton. Drop Rooney to the bench to make room. Would be ETH's dream trio of two all-action 8's and a 10.

black country red

Robbo should put himself in midfield alongside Keane and behind Charlton. Drop Rooney to the bench to make room. Would be ETH's dream trio of two all-action 8's and a 10.
Bobby Charlton was one of the greatest players ever

Bright_Eyes

As follows:

Schmeichel

Irwin
Edwards
Stam
Dunne

Charlton
Keane

Ronaldo
Law
Rooney
Best

Some team that is!

Anyone agree?
Hard to argue against trio Law-Charlton-Best and duo Rooney-Ronaldo. Probably unbalanced but looks so much fun. Can't argue against Schmeichel obviously. You'd need some insanely talented magical DM to protect the back four. Still would be unbalanced but Keane probably the best shout for that. Just leaves the back four. Rio over Stam maybe? Dunno about Dunne. I struggle to believe Edwards was as good as it's said he is and at least some of it isn't due to his enormous and horribly taken away potential, but what do I know.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
players i’ve actually seen play:

taibi

varela - - - - - - - may - - - - - - - prunier - - - - - - - - clegg

your mum - - - - - - djemba djemba

sancho - - - - - - - - - - kagawa - - - - - - - - -mkhitaryan

weghorst​

redmanx

Great team and plenty of other options but sticking to those players - move Edwards into midfield and bring Ferdinand into CB. Then sadly drop Law to the bench !
Denis Law will forever and always be the first name on any United team I pick! As for Robbos team, its awesome, but how could it not be? But Ive always preferred Bobby Charlton on the left wing, where he played many times for both United and England, and Id put him there and play him alongside Denis Law, Roony and Bestie and have Ronaldo on the bench. Midfield Id have Robbo and Big Dunc and put Steve Bruce with Staam, Irwin and Tony Dunne with Schmeical in goal.

Irish Bhoy

Supports
Celtic
Not a Man Utd fan, ( although have enormous respect for the institution )

My best United 11 from those that I have seen is as follows:

Schmeichel

Irwin Rio Stam. Evra

Keane
Beckham Scholes. Ronaldo

Rooney

RVN

BENCH. VDS G Nev Giggs Cantona Robson Vidic Yorke Sherringham Carrick

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
He did. In one of the few full games that are still available (against Villa in the FA Cup final).
No he was selected in central midfield but when the original centre-half (Jackie Blanchflower) went into goal Edwards had to cover that position. Ray Wood went off the pitch and we played most of the game with 10 men. Edwards played as a defensive midfielder and as a centre-half.

Here's a photo of Blanchflower wearing the No. 5 (centre-half) jersey as Ray Wood got injured.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmujac/14365150194/in/album-72157629466159878/

Using that argument you could pick Keane at centre-half as he covered in that role during games too.

fps

Stam bullied the best strikers, he was terrifyingly good. I’d have him and Vidic.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Loved Giggs as a player and is usually in all my teams, but you can't argue with the likes of Ronaldo and Best on the flanks!
And you can't really argue with Law in there, one of only 4 players to win the Ballon Dor at United.

simplyared

No he was selected in central midfield but when the original centre-half (Jackie Blanchflower) went into goal Edwards had to cover that position. Ray Wood went off the pitch and we played most of the game with 10 men. Edwards played as a defensive midfielder and as a centre-half.

Here's a photo of Blanchflower wearing the No. 5 (centre-half) jersey as Ray Wood got injured.

Using that argument you could pick Keane at centre-half as he covered in that role during games too.
Yes with a name like yours (Mr MUJAC) I would imagine, like myself you fall into the "oldies" category on here and know what you're tailking about regarding home grown players from the late 50's. Manchester United Junior Athletic Club was started as early as 1938. The name MUJAC I was very familiar with growing as I was born into a mad utd family.
Re Duncan Edwards I hold my hands up. He wasn't a CB (or centre half as they were called then). He wore a no 6 on his back and played left half.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Stam bullied the best strikers, he was terrifyingly good. I’d have him and Vidic.
Stam was probably all that Vidic offered, plus more pace and ball playing. An absolutely epic defender and it still feels utterly crazy we chose to ship him off and bring a 35 year old Blanc in!

There will always be the suspicion that we saw the drug test failure result coming and that was the reason, not the flimsy "lost a yard" nonsense, or even sillier book incident.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I was replying to you saying that he never played there... but he did, even though as an emergency back up. I've also seen the game so I know the story.

I agree that picking him as a centre back (especially in an all-time XI) is an odd choice though. There is a theory that he would've eventually developed into one but personally I never understood the reasoning behind it, he was too valuable in midfield and a lot of his attacking attributes — especially excellent shooting and those juggernaut-ish runs forward would've been wasted.

Pughnichi

Too hard. I’ll build a squad instead

Schmeichel
VDS

Neville
Irwin
Evra
Dunne

Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
McGrath

Edwards
Keane
Charlton
Robson
Scholes
Nobby

Giggs
Best
Ronaldo
Kanchelskis

Law
Ruud

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I was replying to you saying that he never played there... but he did, even though as an emergency back up. I've also seen the game so I know the story.

I agree that picking him as a centre back (especially in an all-time XI) is an odd choice though. There is a theory that he would've eventually developed into one but personally I never understood the reasoning behind it, he was too valuable in midfield and a lot of his attacking attributes — especially excellent shooting and those juggernaut-ish runs forward would've been wasted.
:)