Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

I don't doubt we're better without Lukaku,
What is in doubt is calling Lukaku out for scoring goals, Lukaku got more league goals last season than any of our front three, but that probably doesn't count because they were against the likes of Fiorentina and Genoa rather than Brighton and Southampton.
It's telling that Inter got through to the final of the Europa League and we didn't, Serie A has quality running through it, the old adage of the premiership being the best is slightly outdated now.
We completely outplayed Seville and had about 20 odd shots on goal, there’s hardly any difference between Inter and United’s EL seasons.

The PL is far harder than Serie A. That’s not outdated. It’s a matter of opinion, so I respect if you think differently.

The big issue with Lukaku is he might as well not play half the games, as he’s proven season after season he can’t score against the better teams.

MalcolmTucker

I don't doubt we're better without Lukaku,
What is in doubt is calling Lukaku out for scoring goals, Lukaku got more league goals last season than any of our front three, but that probably doesn't count because they were against the likes of Fiorentina and Genoa rather than Brighton and Southampton.
It's telling that Inter got through to the final of the Europa League and we didn't, Serie A has quality running through it, the old adage of the premiership being the best is slightly outdated now.
This is such a car crash of a post sans the first sentence.

First, what relevance does his goal tally for Inter have when he had two years here and was largely shite - do you not remember it? Both Rashford and Martial scored more league goals last season than Lukaku ever managed for us despite both having spells injured. Both also have decent records against the top 6 while Lukaku had 1 goal in 22 games against the top 6. Also telling that he didn't score against the top 4 in Serie A last season either.

Second, you're drawing conclusions because Inter beat Shakhtar before also losing to Sevilla in the final, in a game where Lukaku donkeyed a goal into his own net to lose his team the game? If you're trying to big up Lukaku, you're doing a rubbish job at it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

First, what relevance does his goal tally for Inter have when he had two years here and was largely shite - do you not remember it? Both Rashford and Martial scored more league goals last season than Lukaku ever managed for us despite both having spells injured. Both also have decent records against the top 6 while Lukaku had 1 goal in 22 games against the top 6. Also telling that he didn't score against the top 4 in Serie A last season either.

Second, you're drawing conclusions because Inter beat Shakhtar before also losing to Sevilla in the final, in a game where Lukaku donkeyed a goal into his own net to lose his team the game? If you're trying to big up Lukaku, you're doing a rubbish job at it.
I'm merely suggesting he is a proven goalscorer.
You can argue til you're blue in the face, but we both know I'm right.
I respect if you have a different opinion, but opinions based on fallacy tend to fall down.

MalcolmTucker

I respect if you have a different opinion, but opinions based on fallacy tend to fall down.
He's a proven goalscorer against poor opposition.

Absolutely no one is saying he doesn't score goals, what people are arguing is that his numbers aren't good enough to merit a place in an elite team especially when you consider his record against decent competition where his record is laughably poor.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Standards have really dropped if people are seriously still loosing their shit about selling Lukaku

Feck me we used to have CF's like RVN now there's a CF to cry about loosing (when he was at his peak not when we actually did sell him)

I certainly think you are wrong. He’s proven to be able to score against poor teams. Outside of goal scoring, he adds nothing. So you might as well play with 10 men against a decent team.

Paul_Scholes18

Absolutely no one is saying he doesn't score goals, what people are arguing is that his numbers aren't good enough to merit a place in an elite team especially when you consider his record against decent competition where his record is laughably poor.
Inter and us are fairly elite though even if barely in top 10 in Europe. I think he is better than Icardi playing for an elite side in PSG. Different than Firmino and not as good, but scoring more too.
His transfer cost has also been very high in total showing that he is clearly rated by many big sides.

Well put. Although I thought it was 1 goal in 23! Either way it’s utterly pathetic, and amusingly just ignored by those defending him.

Untd55

People are weirdly obsessed with him. I am talking about the people who don't like him on here.

He scores goals, he's rubbish; he doesn't score goals, he's rubbish. He makes an assist, he's rubbish; he doesn't do anything, he's rubbish.

Facts are that he has scored 34 in 51 games last season and has started this season off in great goal scoring form: 3 from 2. He is scoring at a club that is probably better than us.

People are weirdly obsessed with him. I am talking about the people who don't like him on here.

He scores goals, he's rubbish; he doesn't score goals, he's rubbish. He makes an assist, he's rubbish; he doesn't do anything, he's rubbish.

Facts are that he has scored 34 in 51 games last season and has started this season off in great goal scoring form: 3 from 2. He is scoring at a club that is probably better than us.
Inter have Lukaku. Sanchez and Young. In what world are they better than us!

Paul_Scholes18

Well put. Although I thought it was 1 goal in 23! Either way it’s utterly pathetic, and amusingly just ignored by those defending him.
It is obviously very poor, but he helped us win even without goals during his first season against top 6 sides.
We actually had a pretty decent record in big games.
I guess it could have been even better if he performed in big games for us to win the title.
Although now we are not even close to challenge for the title.

Untd55

Inter have Lukaku. Sanchez and Young. In what world are they better than us!
We have Lingard, Pereira, and James. What's your point?

Lukaku is a very good player who hit 34 goals last season. Sanchez managed 7 assists and 3 goals after lockdown, clearly rediscovering some form, and isn't even first team.

We have Lingard, Pereira, and James. What's your point?

Lukaku is a very good player who hit 34 goals last season. Sanchez managed 7 assists and 3 goals after lockdown, clearly rediscovering some form, and isn't even first team.
None are starters in our best 11. And at least 2 we are trying to move on.

The three we sent Inter were awful for us. Well, Young wasn’t, and tried his best which is more than I can say of Lukaku and Sanchez.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
A world where all three of them seem to have improved since they left us. Teams that get the very best out of their players tend to do well. Unfortunately, we’re not doing the same.
All of them look exactly the same as they did with us.

Twingatz

It says a lot when people are trying to validate how poor this guy is despite his scoring rate and scoring rate in the prem. He scored over 100 goals in the prem, has a good scoring record in serie A and is the top scorer of his nation. People can talk crap and hate him all they want, he is a good player. Is he world class no, but he is a very good striker, one of the best strikers in Europe.

Paul_Scholes18

Barca no. PSG yeah thats his highlight
Barca for Inter in CL. Although it was Barca with rotated side and he should have scored more if I rememember correctly.
The PSG goals were very lucky too so not the best example of him performing in big games.

Maybe his hattrick for West Brom against us is the best example.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Really?! I haven’t been watching Inter. Their stats have definitely improved. Surely that reflects better performances?
Have they? Lukaku has always scored against smaller teams and can't score against big teams. Same at Inter.
Sanchez legs are gone. He can turn with the ball but he can't move with it. Watching him collapse with the ball inside the opponent's box because he's being challenged to move was sad. People give Mata a lot of shit for being weak and being slow. Well Sanchez looks similar now but the difference is he used to rely on his explosiveness and standing off defenders.
I don't see Young having improved. He still having the same struggles and weaknesses and is delivering similar stats. Difference is he's playing in a formation that suits him better which should lend to better attacking returns. Statistically, like Sanchez, he hasn't played enough for the difference to be significant.

Paul_Scholes18

Quick look shows he was subbed off at 68 mins at home :angel:
I guess Martial had been injured too or maybe Lukaku had regained favor after the PSG goals.
Anyway apart from his golden week with 6 goals in 3 games Lukaku had a terrible season.
Think we can all agree on that.

Web of Bissaka

It is obviously very poor, but he helped us win even without goals during his first season against top 6 sides.
We actually had a pretty decent record in big games.
I guess it could have been even better if he performed in big games for us to win the title.
Although now we are not even close to challenge for the title.
Lukaku only helped us win against Chelsea once. I remember he's largely invisible and a waste of space in the rest of the games vs top 6 but I guess he's the only CF we've got at that time that can play Mou's post play for hoofing the ball and holding the ball tactics.. even if he's actually that bad at it.

EDIT: Okay, he also assisted vs Spurs once and Pool once. In that two games, other than that assists, I don't remember he play well or even actually threatened their defenses.

Suedesi

Standards have really dropped if people are seriously still loosing their shit about selling Lukaku

Feck me we used to have CF's like RVN now there's a CF to cry about loosing (when he was at his peak not when we actually did sell him)
I know, next step people are going to lose their over Sanchez and Ashley Young.

Champ

I certainly think you are wrong. He’s proven to be able to score against poor teams. Outside of goal scoring, he adds nothing. So you might as well play with 10 men against a decent team.
I think you are clutching at straws a wee bit, which is fine, but when you read this post back you'll probably understand how silly this sounds.

Champ

I keep forgetting, only goals against title chasing sides count.

Glad you agree with me on the bolded part.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Lukaku's a very good player. Always has been. The bitterness on show in here is quite something.
Maybe a bit of bitterness, but i'd say thats perfectly justified. One thing was that he was always shite in the big matches here, but his attitude both on and off the pitch was very critique worthy and thats much worse than any bad spell of form.

I still remember a game from Oles first season. We were 1-0 up against Spurs who was in great form at the time. Super intense match where both teams were playing with the pedal to the metal. Lukaku gets brought on and hes ambles around like an old man and barely breaks into a light jog when Spurs where pressing us hard. And the context here was that Lukaku at the time was under fire both for his poor body language and apparent lack of effort/fitness. If you then get on and deliver a shitshow like that you deserve to get criticized

I think you are clutching at straws a wee bit, which is fine, but when you read this post back you'll probably understand how silly this sounds.
Not clutching at straws. His record of one goal in 23 appearances against the top six is an unparalleled record for a striker at a good team.

It’s appalling.

That’s just one of the reasons why he’s a failure.