Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

RoyH1

Real Name

How did this joker become president in the first place? And when did he become Putin's agent (I guess during the years he 'retired' from the politics)?
God knows, he had good PR I guess. His PR was he wont be the same as he was when he was a PM (he was crazy back then too), but look and behold he's 100 times worse now then when he was a PM. Its not just that he's crazy, he's doing a massive damage to our foreign policies, Plenković needs to go around explaining what he said, what he meant and basically that he's a lunatic.

As for being Putin's agent I think it's cause he wants to be against everything and everyone and controversial and hates Plenković's guts (and vice versa). So if Plenković is pro Nato, pro EU and pro Ukraine he'll be dead against it even if it means its doing damage and despite the fact its completely insane to have a president and PM with completely different views on global politics.
Its that and maybe he's on a Russian payroll.

He's now cited in Serbian pro-Vučić tabloids too cause he said Kosovo was abducted from Serbia. He had different views when he was a PM of course.

We had a Mesić for a president for 2 mandates too, he's prorussian too, God knows why people elected him not once but twice.

Real Name

Can't your parliament and the PM shut him up? Increase the dose of his medicine or something?
Impeachment is possible if he acted against constitution but for that to even start there needs to be a majority of 2/3 of Parliament. Basically very complicated.

The United

Impeachment is possible if he acted against constitution but for that to even start there needs to be a majority of 2/3 of Parliament. Basically very complicated.
So he is the only one who seems to be against the "West" helping the Ukraine in your government? The article was a bit confusing. What about the general opinion of your country on this issue?

Real Name

So he is the only one who seems to be against the "West" helping the Ukraine in your government? The article was a bit confusing. What about the general opinion of your country on this issue?
I'm not sure, looking at the internet there's quite a lot people who spout similar stuff but havent kept track of some polls on the subject to know in general. Government is strictly pro Ukraine. In the parliament recently the main opposition party and other left parties plus one right wing party abstained from the vote on training of UA soldiers here and far right parties voted against it.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I don’t understand the reasoning behind not supplying modern fighter jets. We’re sending MBTs?
The guess I’d make is that the West are worrying about escalation. Tanks are not going to hit targets inside Russia. Modern fighters might. There might also be issues related to the cost of replacement, cost-efficiency etc

Coxy

The guess I’d make is that the West are worrying about escalation. Tanks are not going to hit targets inside Russia. Modern fighters might. There might also be issues related to the cost of replacement, cost-efficiency etc
Presumably this - planes have missiles on them that if they miss - could be devastating. Tanks don't have that range.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Political and strategic incompetence.
I get that you’re more emotionally invested than most, but do you really think that the above is true? Because it sounds very much like you are saying that YOU have the answers, and no-one else gets that. So all of the advice eg Biden is getting from his generals, from the CIA, from his diplomats abroad, is trumped by your individual understanding of the situation.

I say this as someone who really wants to see Ukraine given the most modern weaponry possible. But I also recognise my own ignorance.

Edit- by the way I mean this in a non confrontational way. There are surely factors we just aren’t aware of. I want to see Russia and Putin get absolutely humiliated here.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind not supplying modern fighter jets. We’re sending MBTs?
They don't trust Ukraine not to use them to fire missiles into Russia and escalate things further.

Also, most nations cant spare jets and any sent to Ukraine will be unlikely to return. Without the full support package of NATO capabilities they would be very vulnerable flying over Eastern Ukraine.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You know the famous experiment about the frog in slowly heating water who just stays there until he dies. This is basically the same, slowly increasing support so that Russia doesn't do anything really stupid but just lives with it.

I think it's understandable, but obviously there are massive differences in how people view this and which speed of escalation they think is right.

In general it looks like the further west in Europe you look the more cautious governments get.

Someone's been barking up the wrong tree?
Did you miss the post that it's Germany's fault that Turkey is a threat to Greece because Germany doesn't support Greece enough?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don’t think fighter jets would be that effective given their missile requirements for firing above a certain altitude and Russian SAMs

Spark

For all the the talk about F-16s and fighters generally, there seems to be next to no chat around NATO attack helicopters (although could easily have missed it).

Feel like helicopters could generally be more useful, although appreciate they're pretty exposed targets to Russian air defence. Training might be difficult, but can't imagine it's any harder than learning to fly F-16s for an already trained pilot.

Carolina Red

Staff
For all the the talk about F-16s and fighters generally, there seems to be next to no chat around NATO attack helicopters (although could easily have missed it).

Feel like helicopters could generally be more useful, although appreciate they're pretty exposed targets to Russian air defence. Training might be difficult, but can't imagine it's any harder than learning to fly F-16s for an already trained pilot.
The Russians have suffered pretty steep attack helicopter losses to Ukrainian air defense, so with even less air superiority, I couldn’t imagine attack helicopters in Ukrainian hands faring much better.

MadMike

Someone's been barking up the wrong tree?
Probably. Greece has been in an arms race with Turkey since the 70s and kept it up despite the near financial meltdown of the country. From their POV, the only way any significant equipment (tanks, jets, IFVs or arty) could be donated to Ukraine is if Greece gets given (i.e. donated) something in return that leaves Greece either better off or at the very least, not worse off. Like the deal to send old Soviet BMP-1s to Ukraine in exchange for receiving German Marders.

MadMike

He might need them for an intra-NATO conflict if you catch my drift.
To be honest the chances of a Turkish land invasion were always extremely low. There's only a small strip of land border between Greece and Turkey, 60kms length, where the river Maritsa is the natural border. The two banks of the river mark the most militarised region of the whole of Europe. A pretty ludicrous amount of artillery, tanks, IFVs, combat helis etc. sit there. Passage is near impossible for either side without suffering monstrous level of casualties.

If ever there was to be a conflict it would certainly be a naval and air conflict over the Aegean Sea. Therefore the key to the heart of any Greek General or Politician, if you want them to give up tanks or arty, is to offer ships and airplanes instead.

Last edited:

Phil Jones Face

I've watched this and the previous videos in the series and it struck me how amateur (and I don't mean this disparigingly) the resistance efforts were early on in the war. I have a tonne of respect for these foreign volunteers who rocked up, banded together with strangers and fought to defend Ukraine.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They don't trust Ukraine not to use them to fire missiles into Russia and escalate things further.

Also, most nations cant spare jets and any sent to Ukraine will be unlikely to return. Without the full support package of NATO capabilities they would be very vulnerable flying over Eastern Ukraine.
The alternative I have seen is that the super powers of the west do not want to trigger a coup/revolution in Russia and create a power vacuum in a country with their Arsenal so they are content for it to be contained to Ukraine and happening relatively slowly at the moment.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The alternative I have seen is that the super powers of the west do not want to trigger a coup/revolution in Russia and create a power vacuum in a country with their Arsenal so they are content for it to be contained to Ukraine and happening relatively slowly at the moment.
But surely the coup/revolution is the only way of ending the war?

I get that it's risky someone even more mental than Putin comes in but it's less risky than lengthening the war I'd have thought.

Simbo

I've watched this and the previous videos in the series and it struck me how amateur (and I don't mean this disparigingly) the resistance efforts were early on in the war. I have a tonne of respect for these foreign volunteers who rocked up, banded together with strangers and fought to defend Ukraine.
Genuine close quarters combat footage often looks amateurish compared to the pictures we have in our heads of how things should go, even if its special forces involved, not that we ever get to see much.

I always think back to the SAS Iranian embassy siege which skyrocketed their notoriety. They got pretty lucky with that raid in between setting fire to themselves and getting stuck on ziplines.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Switzerland might trick its own rules and help Ukraine
https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/kri...-panzer-ringtausch-dank-schweizer-sonderregel

The idea: Switzerland will send Leopard tanks to another country that keeps those, and this third country can send their existing stock to Ukraine. This way Switzerland would follow it's own law to stay neutral and not deliver (or allow deliveries, see the Gepard ammunition drama) to countries at war, but still would enable delivery of more tanks to Ukraine.

Poland might be the third country for this deal, if it should happen.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Thats what I had been thinking till Ukraine regain so much territory in september

Lets suppose that Ukraine conquers all territory Crimea included. Victory, great. Lets say that russia just dedicates his days bombing Ukraine from its borders as they are virtually untouchable in their homeland

What Ukraine/the West will do in that case?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thats what I had been thinking till Ukraine regain so much territory in september

Lets suppose that Ukraine conquers all territory Crimea included. Victory, great. Lets say that russia just dedicates his days bombing Ukraine from its borders as they are virtually untouchable in their homeland

Ask Israel how to deal with that kind of situation. That scenario would be more or less the same than what Israel is living under.

cyberman

Bigger problem is building up Ukraine to being self sufficient and having them take themselves off the West leash.
There’s only so far down the years Russia can hide behind their border before the war comes to them

Revan

Assumptionman
Ask Israel how to deal with that kind of situation. That scenario would be more or less the same than what Israel is living under.
Russian rockets are far better and stronger than whatever Palestinians can throw at Israel. Even if Ukraine somehow manages to get as good systems as Israel, it will be impossible to defend considering the larger space from where Russia can throw them (compared to Palestinians), and Russia even have hypersonic ones which are not defendable. They also won’t have the option to demilitarize Russia every few years.

So it will be a very shitty position for them.