Television Seven Worlds, One Planet - narrated by Sir David Attenborough

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Seven Worlds, One Planet narrated by Sir David Attenborough.
7 episodes starts 27th October 2019
On BBC1@ 8pm Sundays and BBC iPlayer

Seven continents, all unique. Seven Worlds, One Planet is the latest natural history landmark from BBC Studios’ Natural History Unit, narrated by Sir David Attenborough.
The series will showcase the rich diversity of Earth’s seven continents and what makes each one unique.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
First episode was tonight. Antarctica

Some amazing footage using latest camera technology and techniques. Some very heartening stories like the albatross chick. Some harrowing ones too.
Never knew that fact about krill. Great quiz evening question!

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Absolutely stunning once again. Mind blowing the quality of their photography.

I saw Attenborough announce this show live on the Pyramid Stage with about 150,000 other people. It was rumoured he would be there to talk but only confirmed about an hour before and as word spread, literally the whole festival made a pilgrimage to see him speak.

Actually got really choked up seeing the great man speak.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Absolutely stunning once again. Mind blowing the quality of their photography.

I saw Attenborough announce this show live on the Pyramid Stage with about 150,000 other people. It was rumoured he would be there to talk but only confirmed about an hour before and as word spread, literally the whole festival made a pilgrimage to see him speak.

Actually got really choked up seeing the great man speak.
You were in the VDO I posted above? Wow - lucky guy!

Looked like a uniquely emotional and perhaps life opinion forming experience for all who were there? Great use of the festival. Do you know who sang the soundtrack?

Not the one who died of exposure :(.

For the one who survived, that brought new meaning to the term "tough love"!
Oh yes, the first one :(

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Who saw this tonight?

Man, that Iranian mountain snake was as badass as anything I've seen in a long long time!!!

On a less happy note, Walrus :(:(

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Who saw this tonight?

Man, that Iranian mountain snake was as badass as anything I've seen in a long long time!!!

On a less happy note, Walrus :(:(
That snake was incredible, it’s crazy how these creatures develops these things, can’t believe that bird went in for a second go :lol:

My daughter was in tears at the walrus bit, very sad viewing.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The Walrus part was awful. Some of them looked terrified, which may it may not be coincidental, but it certainly added to the drama as it fell 80m down a rock face.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Heard through the grapevine that when he passes Attenborough already has a deal signed with Jebus to do a ten episode nature documentary on human beings.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In the UK and just seen tonights episode … so impressive! Absolutely no other country has anything to rival this standard and quality.
As a photographer and film technology enthusiast, I'm always blown away every time a new series is launched. The technology and cameramen skills increases every time, it's simply staggering.

I was amazed in this 'Australia' episode to watch sharks farming billions of anchovies: that final drone shot must have captured 500+ sharks in one frame, something we've never ever seen before. Ditto watching that swarm of Budgerigars defending themselves from the eagle and the bats swooping into the river to drink water. Magical!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Managed to completely miss this, seems I have 4 episodes to catch up on, fantastic!

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
When they first showed them, I thought they were dinosaurs that were recreated using CGI, since he mentioned dinosaurs in the sentence before them.

They're very cool animals.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Shouldn't it be seven worlds, one planet instead of seven planets, one world?
:lol: Doh!!! Yeah, you're right!! Looks so silly now I look at it, but didnt notice at all. Think there's a word for that; when you cant see what's in front of you!

Have changed.

Lj82

As a photographer and film technology enthusiast, I'm always blown away every time a new series is launched. The technology and cameramen skills increases every time, it's simply staggering.

I was amazed in this 'Australia' episode to watch sharks farming billions of anchovies: that final drone shot must have captured 500+ sharks in one frame, something we've never ever seen before. Ditto watching that swarm of Budgerigars defending themselves from the eagle and the bats swooping into the river to drink water. Magical!
I was just telling my wife as I watched the Australia episode that drone tech is changing documentaries, and how we perceive things in general.

Alabaster Codify7

Finally started binging it, did the first three episodes. Incredible stuff, up there with the best he's ever done so far!

Episode 3 has been my favourite so far. I was in South America until June, backpacking, my second time doing a stint on that continent - absolutely love that part of the world. I did most of Patagonia so it was amazing seeing the scenes from there, and Venezuela is going to be done within the next few years for me so seeing the tepuis and stuff was brilliant. Also, Bonito in Brazil - I came within days of going to that creek this year, but will return there soon and do the Pantanal etc. Looked amazing - but feck me, I did not know acacondas were present in the waters of Bonito! Makes me think twice about doing the snorkelling there haha!

Will do the remaining episodes ASAP. Attenborough truly is the king of what he does, incredible viewing.

The most surreal scene,so far, for me though was seeing hundreds of one ton walruses thinking it was a good idea to struggle and climb up a sheer cliff 80-100m above the sea......only to go 'full lemming' and suicide plunge off the top when the polar bears turned up. Something quite harrowing about it, and I never pictured something like that could happen.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Finally started binging it, did the first three episodes. Incredible stuff, up there with the best he's ever done so far!

Episode 3 has been my favourite so far. I was in South America until June, backpacking, my second time doing a stint on that continent - absolutely love that part of the world. I did most of Patagonia so it was amazing seeing the scenes from there, and Venezuela is going to be done within the next few years for me so seeing the tepuis and stuff was brilliant. Also, Bonito in Brazil - I came within days of going to that creek this year, but will return there soon and do the Pantanal etc. Looked amazing - but feck me, I did not know acacondas were present in the waters of Bonito! Makes me think twice about doing the snorkelling there haha!

Will do the remaining episodes ASAP. Attenborough truly is the king of what he does, incredible viewing.

The most surreal scene,so far, for me though was seeing hundreds of one ton walruses thinking it was a good idea to struggle and climb up a sheer cliff 80-100m above the sea......only to go 'full lemming' and suicide plunge off the top when the polar bears turned up. Something quite harrowing about it, and I never pictured something like that could happen.
Amazing isn't it?!

last week was Europe, which not surprisingly had the least impressive wildlife, but was facasintaing for me as it shows how animals adapt to coexist with urban human life.

Tonight could be spectacular as it's North America.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Amazing isn't it?!

last week was Europe, which not surprisingly had the least impressive wildlife, but was facasintaing for me as it shows how animals adapt to cost with urban human life.

Tonight could be spectacular as it's North America's.

Yeah I can imagine Europe being less impressive but some the scenery is probably still incredible and yeah, what you said above will be interesting to see too!

North America will be brilliant.

I'll try and binge a few more episodes next weekend, when I'm home alone. I've got some holidays to book so it'll really add to getting me into the travelling bug midset!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yesterday's final episode was based on Africa. Some highlights below.

Saved the best til last, it was just amazing!

So sad its over, but will certainly rewatch several more times.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Yesterday's final episode was based on Africa. Some highlights below.

Saved the best til last, it was just amazing!

So sad its over, but will certainly rewatch several more times.

I’ve just watched it and it’s left me feeling really pissed off and depressed. I’m not a depressive person but that bit where the shots ring out and the finding of the tusks really left me deflated. I think that’s enough of watching nature documentaries for me. I know that these issues need to highlighted but I am already completely aware of what is going on. It really gets to me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I’ve just watched it and it’s left me feeling really pissed off and depressed. I’m not a depressive person but that bit where the shots ring out and the finding of the tusks really left me deflated. I think that’s enough of watching nature documentaries for me. I know that these issues need to highlighted but I am already completely aware of what is going on. It really gets to me.
Well I guess that’s the point. Part of the climate debate must include the survival of all other species. Humans have to work out how to coexist with all others, as at a minimum, disruptions to the food chain will have a massive impact. That’s before all the core moral, cultural and historical reasons.

You can’t blame the poachers : some people in these countries have to make ends meet, Africa’s wildlife was plundered by colonialists for 250 years! Any solution requires some form of reimbursement so that poachers and others can access jobs that will stop this trade. Ditto educating people in China and SE Asia that there is zero medical benefits.

Huge job, but I have faith in the millennial generation to solve it, once the boomers like trump and Boris have been evicted

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Well I guess that’s the point. Part of the climate debate must include the survival of all other species. Humans have to work out how to coexist with all others, as at a minimum, disruptions to the food chain will have a massive impact. That’s before all the core moral, cultural and historical reasons.

You can’t blame the poachers : some people in these countries have to make ends meet, Africa’s wildlife was plundered by colonialists for 250 years! Any solution requires some form of reimbursement so that poachers and others can access jobs that will stop this trade. Ditto educating people in China and SE Asia that there is zero medical benefits.

Huge job, but I have faith in the millennial generation to solve it, once the boomers like trump and Boris have been evicted
I think it’s too far gone. We’ll probably see the extinction in the wild of some of these fantastic beasts in our lifetime. As for the poachers, I think they can be blamed. There are plenty of people in these countries that have nothing who choose not to poach. But, like you say, the education need to start in the Far East where most of these tusks, horns etc end up. I’m not sure we’re not already beyond the the turning point. You’re also right about it being a huge job. I hope I’m wrong and it gets sorted.