Sheep 2023: R1 - BIG DUNK vs Physio

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
BIG DUNK

Physio

BIG DUNK Tactics

Classic 4-2-3-1 - compact when defending, expansive and good use of the wings when attacking.

Physio

Tactics – Direct/ Mixed
Formation – 433
Defensive Line – Balanced
Marking – Zonal

The side is built around the outstanding abilities of Veron. At his peak at Lazio he was one of the world’s greatest playmakers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EA-ksyZXUAEfkXS.jpg

This is not a remake but has similar dynamics although Veron is paired with a more natural DM than Simeone in the form of Senna. Zagallo reprises a similar role to his 1962 position which allows me to have more a three and provide cover for the sheeptastic Behich to bomb on down the left - Thiago Silva is at LCB as he is more adept in wider areas when defending which allows Bobby Moore to play make from deep.

Del Piero, Finney and Law are an excellent, varied and creative front three who complement each other very well.

Durkovic was capped 50 times by Yugoslavia between 1959 and 1966, Durković excelled as a 22-year-old at the first Euros, offering defensive solidity and attacking penetration at right-back. He died when shot by a drunken policeman in Sion, Switzerland in June 1972 at the age of 34. The police officer was later sentenced to 9 years prison of which he served 7 years (Source, his Wikipedia entry).

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
@BIG DUNK Any info on Pezzey and Ranieri?
Not Big Dunk but Bruno Pezzey got nominated for the Balon d'Or 4 times straight between 1979 and 1982 finishing 21st= in 1979 (In terms of Central Defenders behind Krol and equal with Gordon McQueen); 14th= in 1980 (best Central Defender); 11th= in 1981 (Behind Chivadze, level with Bossis) and 12th= in 1982 (Equal best central defender with Scirea). He spent 9 years in Germany at Eintracht Frankfurt and Werder Bremen where he was included twice in Kicker's Bundesliga team of the season in 1980-81 and 1985-86 although he only won a UEFA Cup and a German Cup with Eintracht Frankfurt and nothing with Werder Bremen (although he finished 2nd in the league twice). In Austria he won 4 league titles and 2 cups.

In terms of this match up, I only just went for Physiocrat because of his much higher levels of goal scoring prowess despite imo Big Dunk's team being much better placed to take advantage of the opponent's sheep defender.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Not Big Dunk but Bruno Pezzey got nominated for the Balon d'Or 4 times straight between 1979 and 1982 finishing 21st= in 1979 (In terms of Central Defenders behind Krol and equal with Gordon McQueen); 14th= in 1980 (best Central Defender); 11th= in 1981 (Behind Chivadze, level with Bossis) and 12th= in 1982 (Equal best central defender with Scirea). He spent 9 years in Germany at Eintracht Frankfurt and Werder Bremen where he was included twice in Kicker's Bundesliga team of the season in 1980-81 and 1985-86 although he only won a UEFA Cup and a German Cup with Eintracht Frankfurt and nothing with Werder Bremen (although he finished 2nd in the league twice). In Austria he won 4 league titles and 2 cups.

In terms of this match up, I only just went for Physiocrat because of his much higher levels of goal scoring prowess despite imo Big Dunk's team being much better placed to take advantage of the opponent's sheep defender.
Thanks for the info Mike.

And yes, Aguero is the only real source of goals for Big Dunk and isn't the type of striker you want in a 4231. Giggs will have licence to roam with Robertson at LB but I can see Aguero being somewhat isolated at times here.

prolifik

Thanks for the info Mike.

And yes, Aguero is the only real source of goals for Big Dunk and isn't the type of striker you want in a 4231. Giggs will have licence to roam with Robertson at LB but I can see Aguero being somewhat isolated at times here.
Rivera and Michel are very much sources of goals. Rivera was literally Serie A top scorer one year.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Rivera and Michel are very much sources of goals. Rivera was literally Serie A top scorer one year.
I'm not sure what position Rivera played that season but it is very much an anomaly. He scored around 7 or fewer goals in most seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianni_Rivera#Career_statistics

I'll give you Michel he scored more than I had remembered. Consistently around 10 goals per season.

All that said, Aguero is still not the man for a lone striking role in a 4231 with no genuine wide forward.

Edit - If you assume Rivera played 38 games a season, with his scoring average he would be at 9 goals a season.

BIG DUNK

Tank
On the pitch, Rivera would be the nearest to Aguero. Both Rivera and Míchel adding double figures in goals and assists. Rivera, a creative machine, was also a composed finisher in the last third. His movement is arguably the most intelligent I've seen from an Italian number 10.

My wide men aren't wingforwards, but classic wingers who give end to end workrate on the wings: dribbling, crossing and helping out their fullbacks. 4-2-3-1 doesn't need three players scoring 20+ goals each. I'm actually proud of the double pivot in Jugović and Néstor Gonçalves I put together. The classic multi faceted box to box / defensive midfielder partnership.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Something about Physio team feels off. Senna and Veron midfield really lacks pace and grit
You are underestimating Veron's defensive game and his willingness to put his foot in, but Zagallo reprising his 1962 role provides that bit extra dynamism in the centre. As indicated by the arrows it is a multifaceted role in the LCM and LM position both higher and deeper. Given his footballing intelligence he is very much suited to this role.

Himannv

I’m flip flopping a bit.

On one side, I think Physio has an attack that might work well against the opposition CBs and also the CB pairing he has looks good to deal with Aguero.

On the other hand, BD has a better looking midfield and he’s better suited to exploit the weaker players in the opposition.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
You are underestimating Veron's defensive game and his willingness to put his foot in, but Zagallo reprising his 1962 role provides that bit extra dynamism in the centre. As indicated by the arrows it is a multifaceted role in the LCM and LM position both higher and deeper. Given his footballing intelligence he is very much suited to this role.
Zagallo's role looks a bit like Di Maria's LCM drifting wide position under Ancelotti at Madrid? Looks quite a good fit for it.