Simpson swoops for United winger

oskarutd

Paul Simpson today raided Manchester United to complete his second loan signing as Shrewsbury Town manager.

Simpson beat tonight’s transfer deadline to bring Michael Barnes, who is predominantly a winger but can play anywhere across the attacking line, to Oteley Road.

Former Wolves defender Martin Riley - who has spent the last month on trial at Shrewsbury and scored in the 5-2 reserve team defeat of West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday - has also signed non-contract terms for the remainder of the season.

Barnes, 19, joined United’s Youth Academy in November 2005 and has since made the breakthrough to play regular reserve team football.

He had a brief temporary spell at Chesterfield in January and - after a trial with Inverness Caledonian Thistle - has now joined Town on loan for the final month of the campaign.

“Michael is a young lad who looks like he is going to be available in the summer,” said Simpson.

link.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
So that's why Brady is the reserve-squad.. Just as well, Barnes is a bit shit.

julesee

So that's why Brady is the reserve-squad.. Just as well, Barnes is a bit shit.
steady on....that's harsh....he's had some very good games for the reserves and was one of the better players in the world youth cup..... ok not good enough for our first team and perhaps not the premiership, but should do a good job for someone

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
steady on....that's harsh....he's had some very good games for the reserves and was one of the better players in the world youth cup..... ok not good enough for our first team and perhaps not the premiership, but should do a good job for someone
There's no way in hell he'll make the Prem and probably not even the Championship. Do you disagree?

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Barnes is pretty quick...................... that's it.

Scored a goal here and there, but so has Dong. Hope he can find a new club come summer but he never really had a chance here.

RedPhil1957

Barnes was one of those plyers who just seem to stop progressing, has not played very well since the summer tournament.

I hope he gets offered a contract at shrewberry would be good for him.

PS18

he'll have done extremely well for himself if he forges a decent career in the Championship.

PS18

hate to say i told you so...

Barnes released by Shrewsbury

Paul Simpson has this afternoon announced his retain list for the next season.

The following players have been released-

Luke Jones
Colin Murdock
Jimmy Ryan
Martin Riley
Michael Barnes
not at all surprising, he's spent the last 2/3 weeks playing for the reserves down there which always seemed a pretty bad sign. considering Shrewsbury were one of the worst teams in the football league this season, he's going to be doing well to get a contract anywhere in the top four divisions. hopefully someone will take a punt on him.

Cold_Boy

hate to say i told you so...

Barnes released by Shrewsbury

not at all surprising, he's spent the last 2/3 weeks playing for the reserves down there which always seemed a pretty bad sign. considering Shrewsbury were one of the worst teams in the football league this season, he's going to be doing well to get a contract anywhere in the top four divisions. hopefully someone will take a punt on him.

I find it surprising how we even sign these kind of players who can't even make it in League 2?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I find it surprising how we even sign these kind of players who can't even make it in League 2?
A couple of things.......

1. Lads are looked at and given a chance.....Barnes was given a chance
2. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not......normally not...however this is very normal....you don't just look at eleven players and make a team...you probably test out 100's of youngsters to get teh cream good enough for United
3. Playing reserve team football at United (with good players around you)..playing football to your feet, along the ground is totally different than playing down the leagues in a kick and rush approach....so many ex-United players struggle down the divisions because they play the 'United way'.....most midfielders don't see the ball.....most wingers are asked to defend more than attack...especially in struggling teams...
4. Michael was always a creative, pacy, direct winger.....clear strengths...however his lack of aggressiveness and fight were perhaps his weakness.....things you need in the lower levels

I am not too surprised and wish the lad all the best in finding another club.

Cold_Boy

A couple of things.......

1. Lads are looked at and given a chance.....Barnes was given a chance
2. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not......normally not...however this is very normal....you don't just look at eleven players and make a team...you probably test out 100's of youngsters to get teh cream good enough for United
3. Playing reserve team football at United (with good players around you)..playing football to your feet, along the ground is totally different than playing down the leagues in a kick and rush approach....so many ex-United players struggle down the divisions because they play the 'United way'.....most midfielders don't see the ball.....most wingers are asked to defend more than attack...especially in struggling teams...
4. Michael was always a creative, pacy, direct winger.....clear strengths...however his lack of aggressiveness and fight were perhaps his weakness.....things you need in the lower levels

I am not too surprised and wish the lad all the best in finding another club.
Thank you for that reply.

I was not trashing him or the club.Just curious about how we select the boys for the academy.While signing we must be hoping that they make the first team.I am just surprised how some of them can't even find a place in a League 2 club.

Anyways good luck to him.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.

I was not trashing him or the club.Just curious about how we select the boys for the academy.While signing we must be hoping that they make the first team.I am just surprised how some of them can't even find a place in a League 2 club.

Unusually, we took a punt on a kid playing for a Conference North side (Lancaster City) during the FA Youth Cup. He did not prove to have the necessary potential.

ronnie dazzler

there was probably a skillset that United thought might develop and didn't as he got older. Maybe you would sign someone with good shooting ability, poorish positional play as a striker as a 15yo and hope you can bring him to the level needed. But perhaps this doesn't progress when he's 16 or 17.

Maybe he looked a word beater at 15 compared to others, but didn't progress as he got older. different players progress at different times.

PS18

his contract isn't up with us until the end of the season, so he was still available to play (good for him to get a game and maybe impress someone into offering him a trial etc).