How good was Sir Bobby Charlton as a player?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Figured that some of you may enjoy this. The man had scored so many incredible goals that a lot of them had to be excluded even from a 15-minutes long compilation. Such a magical player — graceful like a ballet dancer, capable of scoring absolute screamers with either foot, wonderful passer and a proper grafter to boot. And, of course, always a man for a big occasion — be it an FA Cup run in 1958 when 20 years old Charlton led United to the final a couple months after the Munich air disaster, 1966 World Cup with 2 goals in the semi-final and a man-marking job on Beckenbauer in the final or 2 goals in the 1968 European Cup final :drool:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
My heart stopped for a minute when I saw the thread title

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
What a player. Look at how effortlessly two-footed he was. Truly unique for a midfielder, even today.

Without wanting to derail the thread (and I’m a huge fan of Charlton, who is somewhat overlooked in our ‘Greatest Ever’ debates, which is crazy to say), but it’s outrageous to think that Duncan Edwards was/could’ve been even better. Charlton himself always says that Edwards was the only player who ever made him feel inferior. Imagine that!

Charlton, though: absolutely imperious and his achievements in the game for club and country will echo for eternity. The fact he’s an absolute gentleman is the icing on the cake. Mr. Manchester United.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Magnificent, great work harms!

Such an unique player, would be gracefully gliding along the pitch, just jinxing past players and playing those delightful balls, all before unleashing an absolute scorcher :lol: . And he could do all of those on either foot! As far as complete packages goes, Sir Bobby Charlton simply had the lot.

Wilt

Got me worried there. Do miss seeing him on match days, such a true football legend.

Ixion

The biggest Manchester United legend there is

harms

Staff
I've changed the title, sadly it's a very reasonable assumption :(

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Putting people in harms way with that thread title

Denis79

My fathers favorite player. And let me tell you that man is hard to please, so he must have been a fantastic player.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Enjoyable player about whom to watch clips, especially when considering how much he smoked back then.

RUCK4444

Incredible player, no real weakness in his ability, true leader and icon of the club.

The most important player in our history.

Josh 76

My older family members have said he was the greatest Manutd player ever.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Top 10 all time

Also a neat fact our own sir Bobby was the first player to win the Ballon dor world cup and at the time named European cup aka champions league

Extraordinary considering he was on board that accursed flight in Munich and the mental and physical toll that it had on him

hurricane thunderclap

He played in my first game I ever went to, against Coventry. I touched him!!
Shook his and Busby hands at villa park of all places, some game against chelsea I think ( cannot remember what it was all about) brian moore had his lunch at the table next to us as well.God I am old.
Yeah Bobby was great but Law was my hero.

tomaldinho1

Can't really comment but my old man raves about him. His goal-scoring when considering his position is ridiculous.

Won everything, and was central to all of it. Brilliant player.

The fact he’s an absolute gentleman is the icing on the cake. Mr. Manchester United.
Not wanting to derail the thread, but was he? I'd always heard he was a horrible bloke. Maybe i got it mixed up with his brother.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Won everything, and was central to all of it. Brilliant player.

Not wanting to derail the thread, but was he? I'd always heard he was a horrible bloke. Maybe i got it mixed up with his brother.
Where you heard that ???

I've heard nothing but praise for him on a personal level don't think you can have better reputation than that

Also another neat fact to note

When we were on a down turn under Fergie and everything seemed to just be getting worse he was one of the few at our board who vehemently defended Fergie believing he had us on the right track and what a great assessment that turned out to be

I heard he's dealing with dementia perhaps caused by his years of heading the ball i certainly wish he and his family are doing well

Revan

Assumptionman
What a player. Look at how effortlessly two-footed he was. Truly unique for a midfielder, even today.

Without wanting to derail the thread (and I’m a huge fan of Charlton, who is somewhat overlooked in our ‘Greatest Ever’ debates, which is crazy to say), but it’s outrageous to think that Duncan Edwards was/could’ve been even better. Charlton himself always says that Edwards was the only player who ever made him feel inferior. Imagine that!

Charlton, though: absolutely imperious and his achievements in the game for club and country will echo for eternity. The fact he’s an absolute gentleman is the icing on the cake. Mr. Manchester United.
A tiny correction: he said that Di Stefano (not Edwards) was the only player who made him feel inferior. It also need to be said that when Edwards passed away, Charlton was just starting to make the first team, he was still 18-19.

With regards to the main topic, I would say that his peak is the third best from United players (after Ronaldo/Best). However, when you consider his longevity and contribution, I think he is the greatest ever United player (only Giggs might have an argument for that) and the third most important figure after Sir Alex and Sir Matt. Overall, he is easily top 20 player of all time, with possibly a claim for top 10.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He played in my first game I ever went to, against Coventry. I touched him!!
Shook his and Busby hands at villa park of all places, some game against chelsea I think ( cannot remember what it was all about) brian moore had his lunch at the table next to us as well.God I am old.
Yeah Bobby was great but Law was my hero.
This makes me smile, even though I'm jealous as hell.

hatchetmac

Bobby Charlton a Legend and true gentleman. Nobody could hit a ball like him.

DutchCruijff

Thank you so much for that!

I expected only to watch a minute or so but completed the whole video utterly mesmerized.

Beautiful. Thank you. And what a player Charlton was!

harms

Staff
Thank you so much for that!

I expected only to watch a minute or so but completed the whole video utterly mesmerized.

Beautiful. Thank you. And what a player Charlton was!
I can’t ask for a better compliment! I’m glad that you’ve enjoyed it :)

OldRed1

Watched him from when he first came into the Youth Team and on through his career. He was a player who never headed the ball if he could avoid it and his acceleration from a standing start was incredible.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
When he passes the Stretford End should be renamed the Sir Bobby Charlton end.

harms

Staff
Video unavailable :(
Weird :(

It says the same thing when I open it from mobile, but when you click on it it works just fine. There are no restrictions on it, country-wise or otherwise…