Tammy Abraham - Roma Striker

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What's he on out of interest? I'm assuming not far off or the figure includes add ons?
£120k was the figure I saw reported most. Saw some lower, some higher.

Obviously a feck load but we pay everyone a feck load.

Abraham is our starting striker and well on course to get 20 league goals, he should and will get more. His contract runs out in summer 2022 so no rush.

TheReligion

Abusive
£120k was the figure I saw reported most. Saw some lower, some higher.

Obviously a feck load but we pay everyone a feck load.

Abraham is our starting striker and well on course to get 20 league goals, he should and will get more. His contract runs out in summer 2022 so no rush.
That sounds more reasonable but still a hell of alot for CHO and does put you in a sticky situation with renewals with the young players.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'd rather a local lad like CHO or Tammy get the big money than us spunk £30 million and then £120k a week on Drinkwater or Bakayoko!
I think it's the knock on effect it has which is the issue when other young players want to renew or a new buy comes in.

Are those two off your books yet?

duffer

Scout
I think it's the knock on effect it has which is the issue when other young players want to renew or a new buy comes in.

On loan at Burnley and Monaco respectively.

As for knock on issues, we've been paying huge wages to our first team squad for years.

If they're in the first team, I'm fine with them getting paid like it. Our kids have been on feck loads for ages, I think RLC was on £20k a week at 17.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
CHO is on 180k-a-week? Seriously?
CHO's contract is hugely incentivized and thus these reports are totally misleading. £180k is the absolute most he can earn right now on his contract if he hits a number of outlandish targets (e.g. being included in the PFA TotY, managing 20 G+A in a season, etc.)

The holdup with Tammy is twofold - he wants assurances he'll stay in the first team going forward and he wants a contract with more money guaranteed as opposed to tied to incentives. Honestly seems like there is little to fret over from a Chelsea perspective; it's a matter of when not if he'll sign.

TheReligion

Abusive
CHO's contract is hugely incentivized and thus these reports are totally misleading. £180k is the absolute most he can earn right now on his contract if he hits a number of outlandish targets (e.g. being included in the PFA TotY, managing 20 G+A in a season, etc.)

The holdup with Tammy is twofold - he wants assurances he'll stay in the first team going forward and he wants a contract with more money guaranteed as opposed to tied to incentives. Honestly seems like there is little to fret over from a Chelsea perspective; it's a matter of when not if he'll sign.
This is the issue you'll have. You've set the bar high with the CHO contract so players who are performing better than him (Abraham, Mount etc) will demand parity or even more. It's a dangerous way to manage your finances I guess. Abraham will want to be your main number 9 and will expect to be paid like one. He's had a great season so far and deserves an increase mind. I'm just staggered that CHO was given that much without really delivering anything (and he still hasn't).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This is the issue you'll have. You've set the bar high with the CHO contract so players who are performing better than him (Abraham, Mount etc) will demand parity or even more. It's a dangerous way to manage your finances I guess. Abraham will want to be your main number 9 and will expect to be paid like one. He's had a great season so far and deserves an increase mind. I'm just staggered that CHO was given that much without really delivering anything (and he still hasn't).
He had a lot of leverage. He had Bayern's interest alongside the fact we were desperate to avoid another KDB/Salah situation. He had aces to play and he played them, can't argue with that and fair play to him, anyone who says they wouldn't do similar with strong hands are lying.

Tammy I think will probably end up on about 150k a week, which when you factor in inflation, that he will probably be one of two strikers at Chelsea for the foreseeable and will likely guarantee minimum 15 goals a season, isn't really that obscene.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Sure, but it was a no brainer to sign him to that deal given what the cost would be to replace him with a player even comparable in terms of potential. And my point was that his contract is quite high but it's not as obscene as has been reported - he's on roughly 120k per week and not 180k.

TheReligion

Abusive
He had a lot of leverage. He had Bayern's interest alongside the fact we were desperate to avoid another KDB/Salah situation. He had aces to play and he played them, can't argue with that and fair play to him, anyone who says they wouldn't do similar with strong hands are lying.

Tammy I think will probably end up on about 150k a week, which when you factor in inflation, that he will probably be one of two strikers at Chelsea for the foreseeable and will likely guarantee minimum 15 goals a season, isn't really that obscene.
I think giving someone so unproven like CHO that much money in the first place is the issue. Tammy arguably deserves a big rise as he's delivering but the question is where do you go from here? Next contract for CHO is going to be well over 200k minimum. If he doesn't deliver you're pretty much stuck with him. Can be a dangerous game.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Sure, but it was a no brainer to sign him to that deal given what the cost would be to replace him with a player even comparable in terms of potential. And my point was that his contract is quite high but it's not as obscene as has been reported - he's on roughly 120k per week and not 180k.
120k for a kid thats done feck all is pretty obscene though. He scored like 5 goals for Chelsea before he signed up yeah? He hadn't even completed 500mins in the Premier League!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think giving someone so unproven like CHO that much money in the first place is the issue. Tammy arguably deserves a big rise as he's delivering but the question is where do you go from here? Next contract for CHO is going to be well over 200k minimum. If he doesn't deliver you're pretty much stuck with him. Can be a dangerous game.
It is but you could argue letting him walk to Bayern was an even bigger risk, either way we were backed into a corner with no real (short term) win, our best bet was weighing things up and hope we make the right decision in the long run.

cyberman

I know fanbases like to argue against stories that make their club look bad but I doubt Tammy is holding Chelsea up for 120k if he does want parity with CHO?
Unless Tammy and his agent soley gets their information from tabloids.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
120k for a kid thats done feck all is pretty obscene though. He scored like 5 goals for Chelsea before he signed up yeah? He hadn't even completed 500mins in the Premier League!
Sure but if you consider the transfer fee that would be required in addition to a non-insignificant contract for a very good young winger, it is good business.

120k per week is ~6m per year give or take. Let's look at someone like Daniel James - he was correctly viewed as a much bigger risk when he signed, given his lack of experience at the top level, potential issues adapting to a big club, new teammates, new system, etc (this isn't to say he hasn't been worth it; he's been unequivocally an excellent signing). He costs 3m per year on his transfer fee alone (15m amortised over 5 years) and is probably making something on the order of 2m per year (40k per week; correct me if I'm wrong or if this estimate is too high).

So CHO is 3 years younger, already embedded into the team & culture, and is costing (probably) about 1m more per year than James. Obviously James has been much better this season, but even given his limitations thus far this year it seems a no-brainer to sign CHO to that deal if you ask me.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Sure but if you consider the transfer fee that would be required in addition to a non-insignificant contract for a very good young winger, it is good business.

120k per week is ~6m per year give or take. Let's look at someone like Daniel James - he was correctly viewed as a much bigger risk when he signed, given his lack of experience at the top level, potential issues adapting to a big club, new teammates, new system, etc (this isn't to say he hasn't been worth it; he's been unequivocally an excellent signing). He costs 3m per year on his transfer fee alone (15m amortised over 5 years) and is probably making something on the order of 2m per year (40k per week; correct me if I'm wrong or if this estimate is too high).

So CHO is 3 years younger, already embedded into the team & culture, and is costing (probably) about 1m more per year than James. Obviously James has been much better this season, but even given his limitations thus far this year it seems a no-brainer to sign CHO to that deal if you ask me.
The issue being it has a knock on effect with other players in the squad, we know about this because our wage bill was demolished with a few bad contracts. You give 120k to a teenager with pretty much zero experience then players with more experience and contributing more to the squad will demand more. Before you know it, the wage bill has doubled and it's got out of control.

I'd be staggered if we signed Greenwood to a similar contract for example. Maybe in a year or two when he's got 20-30 goals and more PL experience, but not now.

duffer

Scout
The issue being it has a knock on effect with other players in the squad, we know about this because our wage bill was demolished with a few bad contracts. You give 120k to a teenager with pretty much zero experience then players with more experience and contributing more to the squad will demand more. Before you know it, the wage bill has doubled and it's got out of control.

I'd be staggered if we signed Greenwood to a similar contract for example. Maybe in a year or two when he's got 20-30 goals and more PL experience, but not now.
We've been paying huge money to shit players for years and years. Giving it to a potentially very good one is fine.

If, everytime we have an 18 year old full England international on the brink of leaving on a free transfer, we give them the similar wages to Danny Drinkwater then I can make my peace with that.

You are about to potentially lose both Chong and Gomes because they won't sign extensions. Signing them on big money contracts is a gamble but so is letting them go for nothing and having to spend millions to replace them.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You are about to potentially lose both Chong and Gomes because they won't sign extensions. Signing them on big money contracts is a gamble but so is letting them go for nothing and having to spend millions to replace them.
That's because were not daft enough to give 120k contracts to those two. :p

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23

Good post, totally agree with everything.

You guys were linked to Moussa Dembele today. If he is aquired is he going to play along side with Tammy or to offer competition?

duffer

Scout
That's because were not daft enough to give 120k contracts to those two. :p
Neither are anywhere near where CHO was (England international, starting games for the club) so of course you would not give them that much.

If one of them buggers off to Barca or Bayern or wherever and turns into a top player, you'll be kicking yourselves over saving a couple of million in wages. It's a gamble either way.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Yes we are going to replace the 600 minutes of football from Chong and Gomes using millions and millions of pounds. That is not the case.

Gomes leaving is a shame but lets not act like has showed anything on the field that would lead to more playing time. He has been really poor.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Neither are anywhere near where CHO was (England international, starting games for the club) so of course you would not give them that much.

If one of them buggers off to Barca or Bayern or wherever and turns into a top player, you'll be kicking yourselves over saving a couple of million in wages.
Its not just a couple of million though... as already explained, it's not just CHOs wage that goes up, it's the entires squad. That's the point. Not sure why I have to reexplain the point made by me and TR...

120k per week = 6.2 million a year
80k per week = 4.2 million a year

If all of a sudden you aren't giving the same/bigger wage to players like Tammy Abraham / Mason Mount then thats how players get pissed off. It all gets out of control. That's the point.

duffer

Scout
Its not just a couple of million though... as already explained, it's not just CHOs wage that goes up, it's the entires squad. That's the point. Not sure why I have to reexplain the point made by me and TR...

120k per week = 6.2 million a year
80k per week = 4.2 million a year

If all of a sudden you aren't giving the same/bigger wage to players like Tammy Abraham / Mason Mount then thats how players get pissed off. It all gets out of control. That's the point.
We've been paying first teamers those sort of wages for years and years. CHO is getting a first teamers wage, that's it.

Tammy should be getting £150K a week as a starting number 9 for Chelsea, it's got nothing to do with CHO. It'll probably be the lowest we've paid a number 9 for about a decade!

You can speculate that we will have to pay the entire squad more but that's all it is, speculation.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

But there's a simple difference in orders of magnitude here - Alexis Sanchez was making 750k per week if I recall correctly. That's more or less six times what CHO is on, and it was more than double what United's next highest earner (Pogba) was making. This is how a squad gets destabilised due to wage disparity.

As @duffer has pointed out, CHO's wage isn't out of line with other contracts Chelsea have been giving out - he's on less than Willian and Pedro right now. Chelsea have also been ruthless when it comes to older players who aren't productive - hence the policy where no players over 30 get more than single year extensions.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
But there's a simple difference in orders of magnitude here - Alexis Sanchez was making 750k per week if I recall correctly. That's more or less six times what CHO is on, and it was more than double what United's next highest earner (Pogba) was making. This is how a squad gets destabilised due to wage disparity.

As @duffer has pointed out, CHO's wage isn't out of line with other contracts Chelsea have been giving out - he's on less than Willian and Pedro right now. Chelsea have also been ruthless when it comes to older players who aren't productive - hence the policy where no players over 30 get more than single year extensions.
What the hell is wrong with you?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Oops! I probably should have looked it up beforehand. He was on about 500k per week, not 750k.

Regardless, I think the point still stands.
Still writing nonsense. Alexis is on 350k while Pogba is on 290k.

You keep that up and you'll be writing for the Daily Fail soon.

United58

Drinkwater was on Burnley's bench against us; due back to Chelsea this month

TheReligion

Abusive
Alexis is making at least ten million dollars a week at United. Everyone knows that. And the fully justifies Callum Wan Kenobi and Abraham Lincoln getting 200k.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Alexis is making at least ten million dollars a week at United. Everyone knows that. And the fully justifies Callum Wan Kenobi and Abraham Lincoln getting 200k.
And on that note didnt david decline get a new 500 k a week deal too...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Still writing nonsense. Alexis is on 350k while Pogba is on 290k.

You keep that up and you'll be writing for the Daily Fail soon.
Except he also got an insane bonus for each appearance in addition to an annual bonus of something like 1.2m. In the end, this worked out to roughly 500k per week.