The fate of our signings and academy talent: injury-riddled, inconsistent or Space Jammed

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It seems to be a common theme doesn't it? Every player we sign or promote will eventually fall into at least one of these 3 unflattering categories.

Injury problems have been an issue since Fergie was in charge, but they seem to have gotten even worse since he retired. Very annoying.

You could argue that even the best players will become inconsistent if the team isn't functioning, but it would be nice to see someone remain steady during the worst storms. You could make an argument for Herrera and Blind being consistent, but they were never that great either. Just solid enough.

The biggest mystery is probably how so many previously good players get Space Jammed (i.e. have their skills magically stolen by aliens). Some of them before even kicking a ball for us! I'm looking at you Mkhitaryan, Sanchez and Sancho. It makes me wonder if playing for us slowly (sometimes quickly) kills a player's spirit? From time to time you see someone look like the real deal. They are full of fire and energy and then suddenly it's all gone.

Many of us, myself included, have criticised the signings since Fergie retired, but I wonder if at least some of them could have turned out great if the circumstances were different? Woodward once described our club as Disneyland which accidentally is the perfect analogy. Disneyland is torture for adults after all. And the adults who genuinely enjoy it are probably not the type you'd want to keep around.

Last edited: