Film The Father (2020) | Anthony Hopkins | RT 100% | Meta 87% | Guardian 4/5

Hoof the ball

A man refuses all assistance from his daughter as he ages. As he tries to make sense of his changing circumstances, he begins to doubt his loved ones, his own mind and even the fabric of his reality. The Father is an 2020 drama film written and directed by Florian Zeller, based on his play Le Père. The film features performances from Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman, Olivia Williams, Rufus Sewell, Imogen Poots and Mark Gatiss.
A brutal, trippy portrait of what it must feel like to lose your grip on reality boasts an Oscar-worthy performance
- Guardian

It's a tough watch but a structurally powerful piece of storytelling with a powerhouse performance at its center, matched by a supporting ensemble that doesn't have a weak link.
- Roger Ebert

Over the course of 97 increasingly grim minutes, Zeller's puzzle-box drama distills the abstract concept of senility into an ontological experience that denies your sympathy at almost every turn.
- IndieWire

For those who can stomach it, it'll stay with you, for longer than you might like. I know it will stay with me.
- Guardian

All the actors in "The Father" are vivid (Colman brings her role a loving vulnerability that warms you), but Hopkins is flat-out stunning.
- Variety

Anthony Hopkins recently earned the fifth Oscar nomination of his career in "The Two Popes," but he's already topped himself for his best work this century (yes, century) with Florian Zeller's "The Father."
- The Playlist

By messing with the geography of the apartment and the identities of its characters, The Father makes us see and digest and experience the frighteningly unsystematic loss of mental control.
- Film Companion

Only just February and it looks like we've already got an Oscar nominee.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hell of an OP

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I accidentally hit post. I intended to gather the information and reviews and then post it, but it was too late.............alas, I couldn't well delete the entire thread, could I?
Of course not, but I couldn't well let it go could I?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
How and when is this going to be released? I see it's a Sundance participant, but I don't see any release date or medium listed for any markets.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's a tough watch but a structurally powerful piece of storytelling with a powerhouse performance at its center, matched by a supporting ensemble that doesn't have a weak link.
- Roger Ebert

Got to admire Ebert's dedication.
Reviewing films from beyond the grave.

GazTheLegend

Saw some trailers and it looks really, really boring. These things always feel like they’re written by writers FOR writers (and critics who see themselves as above the average person), much like that ‘Knives Out’ rubbish

GBBQ

- Roger Ebert

Got to admire Ebert's dedication.
Reviewing films from beyond the grave.
It'd be a thumbs up from me if i still had one.

DVG7

Saw some trailers and it looks really, really boring. These things always feel like they’re written by writers FOR writers (and critics who see themselves as above the average person), much like that ‘Knives Out’ rubbish
knives out was quality!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
:lol: Thanks, love.