The Future Of Humanity.

Revan

Assumptionman
How would it look/work?
No idea to be fair. If UN would have been gradually strengthened, it might have eventually reached that. But UN is a pantomime show where ambassadors read pre-written scripts and US and co. use veto.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That is very interesting and you are doing an improvement job.
Hydrogen is such an Illusive atom. The most abundant in the universe and yet so difficult to obtain in an energy efficient way - Green Hydrogen.
Have to say that I wasn't aware that it could take another 50+ years to do that.
Oh no it's not that it takes 50 years to make it viable, it's that it takes a long time to clean up the mess we're making and we need small incremental improvements everywhere in order to decarbonise our entire planet and economy, including in recycling and all sorts of areas. Hopefully we'll break the back of it in the next 5-10 years but there are no guarantees unfortunately!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Possibly, although the perception of that might be enhanced by the lack of interest on terrible situations in Tigray, Yemen and Sudan. I nearly asked @Buster15 which are his two major conflicts, I count more.
The major 2 would be Ukraine and Gaza. I am not sure what constitutes being termed a War or Conflict. And yes you could add Yemen as well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Oh no it's not that it takes 50 years to make it viable, it's that it takes a long time to clean up the mess we're making and we need small incremental improvements everywhere in order to decarbonise our entire planet and economy, including in recycling and all sorts of areas. Hopefully we'll break the back of it in the next 5-10 years but there are no guarantees unfortunately!
Thank you for your update. I am also very hopeful that a breakthrough for nuclear fusion might happen within the next few decades. As you may be aware, there is a very significant effort being undertaken across the world. And as the saying goes - necessity is the mother of invention.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thank you for your update. I am also very hopeful that a breakthrough for nuclear fusion might happen within the next few decades. As you may be aware, there is a very significant effort being undertaken across the world. And as the saying goes - necessity is the mother of invention.
I'm not pinning any hopes on that. It's a Boris Johnson sort of way out, one giant leap and then everything goes back to normal. I think it's only hard work on all fronts that will get us there but you know, there's 8bn people on earth, it can be done!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The major 2 would be Ukraine and Gaza. I am not sure what constitutes being termed a War or Conflict. And yes you could add Yemen as well.
There is a ceasefire in Tigray to be fair, but up until last year hundreds of thousands were killed, no one really knows how many, but it does completely dwarf the Gaza figures. The war or conflict (I don't know either) in Sudan is comparable in every way with Gaza in terms of figures.

I just find it strange that some wars are fashionable, sorry I should be able to think of a better word, and some aren't. Even the war in Ukraine has dropped off the front pages, there is still talk about the politics and finance, but the deaths don't seem to attract the attention they should.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I try to remain a positive person but I personally think:

a) Humanity is screwed and I feel very sorry for people growing up today. We're divided more than ever and at war with each other on all levels with society and governance all built around tribal and divisive bullshit.
b) The planet will be better off without us, we will get exactly what we deserve.

Whatever we had as a species in terms of connection to the planet and each other we've long since lost.

Zen86

The world government idea is really the only thing that can save humanity in the long term. An entity that actually looks at the planet as a whole and creates policy to prevent collapse.

There's surely an evil doctor out there plotting world domination that we can get behind.

Abizzz

If we cease to exists or have a horrible future it will be because of our own actions. Hence if we make it and achieve sustainability we'll thrive, if not I'm perfectly fine with us disappearing in the next 200 years. Only feel bad for the generations to come. Which is why I don't have children (tbh one of multiple reasons).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I believe you Buster, I can always get you're a positive person but ... how can you feel optimistic? What are you seeing that gives you this optimism dude?
Thank you for that.
Humanity is and will be facing a wide range of challenges both now and in the future.
And I am not saying that the future is going to be perfect.
But I do believe that human inginuity should be capable of finding solutions for many of them.
For example, with man-made climate change, this is now part of many people consciousness. And there is already a pretty strong movement towards renewable energy. And that is due to the fact it is now much cheaper than fossil fuelled energy.

Edit. I also have a number of young grandchildren. And when I look into their bright eyes, I can not fail to be hopeful that their futures will be filled with worthwhile lives.

Last edited:

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Thank you for that.
Humanity is and will be facing a wide range of challenges both now and in the future.
And I am not saying that the future is going to be perfect.
But I do believe that human inginuity should be capable of finding solutions for many of them.
For example, with man-made climate change, this is now part of many people consciousness. And there is already a pretty strong movement towards renewable energy. And that is due to the fact it is now much cheaper than fossil fuelled energy.
And what if an asteroid hits?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
America and Western Europe had a real chance to reshape the world with democratic capitalism and globalisation post world war 1/2 and colonialism. Instead of even attempting to fix the world they changed everything into a corrupt media PR war and a free for all money grab. A new form of colonisation where they don’t occupy but steal what they can and elect leaders who let them do what they want. The final nail in the coffin was neo liberalism and letting the banks and wall street control the market. As far as the whole world is concerned America is certainly amongst the most corrupt and destructive empires that has ever existed.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
We approach the end of 2023 with 2 major conflicts and a number of minor ones.
Humans killing and doing unspeakable things to other humans.
Not just that, but humanity is getting very close indeed to creating a change to our climate that is creating untold damage to our only home and destroying the very ecosystems that we all rely on. And all in the briefest moment in time.

So I wonder what you people think about the future of humanity.
Are we doomed because of our ignorance and greed by making our planet uninhabitable.
Are we creating the very things that could ultimately supersede us in AI and so called robots.
Or will our ingenuity mean that whatever challenges humanity is faced with, we will continue to find solutions for.

Even at my late stage in life, I continue to feel optimistic about the future of humanity. But would be very interested in what you think.
Hopefully it's near the end.

Balljy

I try to remain a positive person but I personally think:

a) Humanity is screwed and I feel very sorry for people growing up today. We're divided more than ever and at war with each other on all levels with society and governance all built around tribal and divisive bullshit.
b) The planet will be better off without us, we will get exactly what we deserve.

Whatever we had as a species in terms of connection to the planet and each other we've long since lost.
I think the same. We're a species that took over the planet because we're very protective of where we live and have the ingenuity to fight for it and defeat predators through hundreds of thousands of years. The problem with that is we're innately driven to war and protecting ourselves without looking at the bigger picture and we have to do the latter now our home is the planet rather than the street we live on.

Considering how we evolved I think it's pretty impressive that so many of us do care about the rest of the world, but it's either not enough or the people who get into power can't see it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
One day either the sun will explode or there wont be enough resources left to sustain human population, and what happens with the 30p you spent on your non renewable asda shopping bag will seem somewhat irrelevant in the context of things.

I wouldn't say pessimistic or optimistic I just think the only thing that can last forever, is nothing. Well that and the ending scene of The Lord of the Rings.

Volumiza

I think the same. We're a species that took over the planet because we're very protective of where we live and have the ingenuity to fight for it and defeat predators through hundreds of thousands of years. The problem with that is we're innately driven to war and protecting ourselves without looking at the bigger picture and we have to do the latter now our home is the planet rather than the street we live on.

Considering how we evolved I think it's pretty impressive that so many of us do care about the rest of the world, but it's either not enough or the people who get into power can't see it.
Yep. Sadly our ego has grown in line with, if not exceeded our intellect. It’s all about the self. The me. The I.

The ‘we’ has a long way back. Too far I feel sadly.

Volumiza

And as a species we have never cared about the environment. We destroy and move on
I don't agree with that, maybe in recent history yeah but we were way more connected to our environments and surroundings Shakesy. Now we aren't encouraged to look around and be part of anything. People live their lives looking down, usually at a screen instead of looking up and around.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I don't agree with that, maybe in recent history yeah but we were way more connected to our environments and surroundings Shakesy. Now we aren't encouraged to look around and be part of anything. People live their lives looking down, usually at a screen instead of looking up and around.
I think it was Yuval Noah Harari who made me aware that we have this romanticised idea of what our species used to be like.

Then we look at the fossil records and notice extinction follows us around. Ask the woolly mammoth and the dodo, to name but a few. The only reason we didn't cause mass deforestation 10,000 years ago is because we didn't have the need. We hunt and gather till there's nothing left, then we move on.

Now there's no place left to go, cause we're already there, and have already destroyed the place. Humans are the worst thing to ever happen to earth. But it's not because we've changed much. We've always been selfish cnuts.

Of course, we're getting worse, so you do make a valid point V

Volumiza

I think it was Yuval Noah Harari who made me aware that we have this romanticised idea of what our species used to be like.

Then we look at the fossil records and notice extinction follows us around. Ask the woolly mammoth and the dodo, to name but a few. The only reason we didn't cause mass deforestation 10,000 years ago is because we didn't have the need. We hunt and gather till there's nothing left, then we move on.

Now there's no place left to go, cause we're already there, and have already destroyed the place. Humans are the worst thing to ever happen to earth. But it's not because we've changed much. We've always been selfish cnuts.

Of course, we're getting worse, so you do make a valid point V
Aah, of course I'm not ignoring our inherent destructive and violent tendencies dude (although I'm not sure we can or should accredit the Mammoths extinction solely with humans, I'm more of a global cataclysm guy for the disappearance of those hairy suckas), I was more alluding to the actual connection we had to the environment and potentially to each other. We had to care about it to a greater degree than present. The seasons. Food. Astrology and navigation etc. We don't have to do feck all these days and I would suggest that years of technological dependence has robbed us of vital skills, instincts and awareness. Gives us all more time an energy to concentrate on bullsh*t. Plus, there's more of us and tech has swept us forward at breakneck speed so we do more damage per head than before I'd have thought.

And while I agree there has always been an element of the 'I', the 'we' I was talking about was a much stronger force even as recent as the 80's. I was lucky enough to grow up in a very close community. Yeah, sure, all families looked after their own first but those families also looked out for each other. It was very close knit. The people were very close knit. The breakdown of these communities over the last 30 - 40 years has been astonishing so I think it's acclerated the replacement of shared interests with yet more ego. More ego is rarely a good thing and ego is nearly all I see when I look around now.

I live in the same area now and no one even knows names of folk 2 doors down and no one even tries. A valuable and precious thing has almost vanished. Yeah, you could argue we all have a wider net of connection and communication thanks to the internet but virtual relationships aren't real, they're shallow and utter sh*te in comparison to person to person, impossible to actually connect (IMO) and going back to ego, I mean look at this place, it drips with ego, everyone 'in character'. Yes mate, I know, I'm old!

Sad thing is, I genuinely feel there's no rescuing it. Way too far gone. Way too fragmented and divided.

I recently read Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens, really good book, that and Homo Deus but I've since slid over to Dennis Hoffman, Terrence McKenna and Michael Pollen now so personally, I reckon an orchestrated, simultaneous, compulsory, global dose of psilocybin or DMT (nothing else) for anyone over 18 would help humanity greatly. Be interseting to see what ripple of change would sweep through humans after a simultaneous dose of 'we are one, we are connected' :)

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Aah, of course I'm not ignoring our inherent destructive and violent tendencies dude (although I'm not sure we can or should accredit the Mammoths extinction solely with humans, I'm more of a global cataclysm guy for the disappearance of those hairy suckas), I was more alluding to the actual connection we had to the environment and potentially to each other. We had to care about it to a greater degree than present. The seasons. Food. Astrology and navigation etc. We don't have to do feck all these days and I would suggest that years of technological dependence has robbed us of vital skills, instincts and awareness. Gives us all more time an energy to concentrate on bullsh*t. Plus, there's more of us and tech has swept us forward at breakneck speed so we do more damage per head than before I'd have thought.

And while I agree there has always been an element of the 'I', the 'we' I was talking about was a much stronger force even as recent as the 80's. I was lucky enough to grow up in a very close community. Yeah, sure, all families looked after their own first but those families also looked out for each other. It was very close knit. The people were very close knit. The breakdown of these communities over the last 30 - 40 years has been astonishing so I think it's acclerated the replacement of shared interests with yet more ego. More ego is rarely a good thing and ego is nearly all I see when I look around now.

I live in the same area now and no one even knows names of folk 2 doors down and no one even tries. A valuable and precious thing has almost vanished. Yeah, you could argue we all have a wider net of connection and communication thanks to the internet but virtual relationships aren't real, they're shallow and utter sh*te in comparison to person to person, impossible to actually connect (IMO) and going back to ego, I mean look at this place, it drips with ego, everyone 'in character'. Yes mate, I know, I'm old!

Sad thing is, I genuinely feel there's no rescuing it. Way too far gone. Way too fragmented and divided.

I recently read Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens, really good book, that and Homo Deus but I've since slid over to Dennis Hoffman, Terrence McKenna and Michael Pollen now so personally, I reckon an orchestrated, simultaneous, compulsory, global dose of psilocybin or DMT (nothing else) for anyone over 18 would help humanity greatly. Be interseting to see what ripple of change would sweep through humans after a simultaneous dose of 'we are one, we are connected' :)
Agree absolutely. We're silos. I-silo-ated "social" creatures pretending to care.

Psilocybin, eh? :lol: