The independent regulator

Cloud7

https://x.com/skysportsnews/status/1769865684878528694?s=46&t=f2z0IQWUR42mGw11vZaTdg

Apologies if there is an existing thread, feel free to delete this thread if that is the case. I have seen this term tossed around here and there, and now it seems like it’s going to actually be considered in parliament.

What exactly does having an independent regulator mean for the league? What will they do? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In theory it's a good thing, in practice the government is likely to make a mess of it

Eric_the_Red99

This just seems like a dying government trying to win working class votes through tabloid headlines. The reference to the Super League is just pure bandwagon jumping by politicians - why should something like that have anything to do with government anyway?

And it’s particularly ironic given the rumours that the government is putting pressure on the Premier League to go easy on 115 Charges FC so as not to upset the Emiratis.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Given my opinion on the FA/PL governing bodies, on the face of it I feel it's a good idea and would be useful.

Is there any information on the practical elements? Remit, functioning budget, profiles of people that would be working for it, etc. That usually gives a better indication into the actual usefulness of it.

Oranges038

This just seems like a dying government trying to win working class votes through tabloid headlines. The reference to the Super League is just pure bandwagon jumping by politicians - why should something like that have anything to do with government anyway?

And it’s particularly ironic given the rumours that the government is putting pressure on the Premier League to go easy on 115 Charges FC so as not to upset the Emiratis.
And there were rumours that they also put pressure on them to approve the Newcastle take over because Boris got a few messages from the Saudis.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
"Independent", you're having a laugh. The same government that interfered with the PIF purchase of Newcastle.

cj_sparky

I think the Premier League should do better with regards to the pyramid as a whole and you'd like to think in a perfect world an independent regulator may help in that regard. But I get the feeling that we will most likely end up with is an entity that will line its own pockets, with contracts going to friends and money going out of the men's pyramid. With favors being done for government, on who is deemed "fitter and proper" for ownership.

Be interesting how FIFA and UEFA look at potential government influence on football.

BuzzKillington

I have absolutely zero confidence the current government would do something like this without their being some kind of grift as the main motivation for it.

tomaldinho1

And there were rumours that they also put pressure on them to approve the Newcastle take over because Boris got a few messages from the Saudis.
It was proven that they did, read the Athletic articles on the Newcastle takeover, the amount of gov involvement is mental. You can even read some of the released emails, although much is redacted it's pretty clear cut.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Good luck finding a collective of non corruptible humans to sit on these boards and make impartial decisions worth 10's of millions £, if not more.