The Modern Draft: QF4 - Theon vs The Red Viper

At players career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

.................... Team Theon ......................................................... Team The Red Viper ............................

Team Theon

TACTICS

A 4-3-3 boasting the best offense in the draft - devastating pace and trickery on the wings, flanking a 6 ft 5 colossus who has scored 128 goals in his last 157 games. With an excellent midfield supplying him from deep and two explosive wingers on the flanks, Ibrahimovic has the perfect platform to perform and influence the game.

The midfield is balanced and complimentary, with two industrious Germans in Schweinsteiger and Khedira replicating their World Cup winning partnership whilst Wesley Sneijder adds a touch of quality and composure in the final third. Albiol has been selected to keep it secure on the right and track Neymar when he cuts inside, while Ashley Cole will play more adventurously on the left and double up on Litchsteiner with Sanchez. In goal David De Gea provides the last line of defence - not to be underestimated, particularly given his form this season.

Some short points:

Both of TRV's fullbacks are very offensive which will leave the centre backs (who both lack pace) exposed – Marcelo in particular is prone to leaving gaps defensively which Robben has the ability to exploit. Voted the 4th best player in the World in the Ballon d'Or – Robben is arguably the most dangerous player on the pitch, scoring 17 goals in 19 games in the league this season after dragging an average Holland to 3rd place in the World Cup.

TRV's defence and midfield are not complimentary – Xavi and Iniesta played their best football for Spain and Barcelona in a high pressing, offensive side that pushed up to squeeze the opposition midfield to try and dominate possession of the ball. In contrast, Cahill and Terry were a genuinely awful partnership when they tried to play that way and it is only when they reverted to Mourinho's defensive set up that they have looked effective. Terry is still by far the best centre back on the pitch (though Cole would be IMO the best defender overall) but his style of defending is completely opposite to that of Spain and Barcelona.

Sneijder was excellent at his peak, leading Inter to the treble in 2009/10 and reaching the final of the 2010 World Cup. With Terry and Cahill dropping off and Robben/Sanchez stretching the pitch out wide, Sneijder should have plenty of space in midfield to receive the ball in dangerous positions and slip passes into the attackers.

In Bastian Schweinsteiger the side has arguably the most complete central midfielder of the last decade - leading Bayern Munich to a historic treble in 2012/13 and, partnered with Khedira, winning the World Cup in 2014 in which Schweinsteiger was MOTM in the Final. Against an Xavi/Iniesta led Barcelona in 2013 Schweinsteiger dominated both legs, cutting of space for Xavi and pressuring the midfield into mistakes – ensuring a historic 7-0 aggregate win against Barcelona in the semi finals of the Champions League.

===============================================================================

Team The Red Viper

THE TEAM

We will play a 4-3-3 formation. Salvatore Sirigu is the goalkeeper. The back four comprises of Stephan Lichtsteiner, Gary Cahill, John Terry and Marcelo. Lichtsteiner and Marcelo would play as full-backs who would overlap when needed. In central defense, we have the tried and tested combination of Terry and Cahill. Both complement each other's style quite well and have been amongst the best central defense pairing in the last couple of years.

In midfield, we would have a three-man midfield of Owen Hargreaves, Xavi Hernández and Andrés Iniesta. Hargreaves would play as a defensive midfielder/enforcer, who would cover the defense and would help us win back the possession with his fantastic tackling and ball-winning ability. Ahead of Hargreaves, is the duo of Xavi - Iniesta. Xavi is the metronome of the team. He would control the tempo of the game and would also look to initiate the attacks. Playing ahead of the the midfield maestro, Xavi would be The Illusionist, Iniesta. Andrés Iniesta would play as an attacking midfielder who would not only link the midfield with the attack and create the openings for the attack to exploit but also would support the midfield when the opposition has the possession.

Upfront, Robin Van Persie would lead the line for us, with Neymar and Marco Reus playing as wing-forwards/inside-forwards. Neymar would play as the left-sided second striker/left wing-forward, the role he plays for Brazil NT and Barcelona currently while Reus would play as the right-sided second striker/right wing-forward, the role he played at Borussia Mönchengladbach when he made a name for himself. Van Persie would be the main striker, where he could either play on the shoulders of the last defender and run the channels or drop deep and link-up with the other attackers. Whenever Van Persie drops deep, Neymar and Reus would look to make those attacking runs and look to exploit the space between oppsition full-back and right centre-back.

THE TACTICS

We will play possession based football. It won't be out and out tiki-taka but more like the brand of football Spain NT played in the 2008 Euros, when they won their first ever trophy at International stage. It will be possession based, pass and move style of play. The entire front six is extremely comfortable in possession and all of them are very good at link-up play. In Iniesta and Xavi, we have two of the greatest playmakers of all time. With Van Persie running the channels and both Neymar and Reus looking to attack the space between opposition full-backs and centre backs, we would look to feed them with the through-balls from Iniesta and Xavi. Overall, the attack has plenty of weapons in its arsenal to penetrate any defense with their pace, trickery, creativity and goals. And, with Xavi and Iniesta feeding them, there would be no shortage of chances for them. We will specifically look to exploit Theon's right flank. Neither Coleman nor Albiol are good enough to deal against Neymar. Coleman doesn't have the discipline to do that while Albiol isn't quick enough to keep up with Neymar. One of Bastian or Khedira has to support Albiol/Coleman. Otherwise, Neymar would run them ragged. However, its a two-edged sword. If they go and support Albiol/Coleman, it would free up Iniesta to stamp his authority on the game even further and with Van Persie lurking around, he would be able to create plenty of chances for him.

Defensively, we would deploy a deep defensive backline to ensure we don't leave too much space behind our backline for the likes of Robben and Alexis Sanchez to run at. Hargreaves would help Marcelo while dealing against Robben. Marcelo alone can't stop Robben but one thing he has in his favour is that, he has the pace to keep up with Robben and ensure Robben doesn't get a free run at him. With Hargreaves helping him out, I think we will be able to do a decent job against Robben. On the other flank, Lichtsteiner would have a reserved role going forward to ensure Alexis doesn't get too much space to run at. Both Iniesta and Xavi would look to press Bastian and Sneijder whenever they are on the ball to ensure, we don't give either of them any time and space on the ball to initiate counter-attacks. That way, we will do a good job of slowing down his transition and thereby allowing our back five to regain its shape. Ibra is a great striker, but I feel both Terry and Cahill have the ability and attributes to deal with him a lot better than what Kolo and Koscienly would be able to against Van Persie.

VivaJanuzaj

Jesus, attacks are going to have a field day against both defenses. Sanchez vs Lichsteiner is bad for TrV, vP & Neymar vs Theon's defense is also quite tasty.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
My first thoughts are that if TRV is playing possession football but with a deep defensive line there's going to be a lot of space between the back defense and midfield, and or midfield and attack. This could leave Theon lots
of space on the counter as well as leading to TRV being a bit disjointed- passing it back to Cahill and Terry is worse than Jones and Smalling.

I'm not normally a fan of a 10 behind Ibra but Sneidja can do his work a little deeper than a classic 10, he began as a proper CM at Ajax, so Ibra will have space to work his magic.

Heavily leaning towards Theon at the mo

Skizzo

Need a little more time to look at this. Think both teams can be gotten at. Heading out now, but loon forward to seeing the discussion on this one. Great teams

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'm not normally a fan of a 10 behind Ibra but Sneidja can do his work a little deeper than a classic 10, he began as a proper CM at Ajax, so Ibra will have space to work his magic.
Me niether and you're spot on that you usually don't want a #10 behind Ibra as he frankly doesn't need someone getting in his way - that's actually the reason I layed the team out with Sneijder deeper next to Khedira in the last game, but it caused some issues aesthetically.

As you say, Sneijder at his best was more of an offensive #8 than a pure technical #10. I don't see an issue with him behind Ibra for that reason, whereas I wouldn't have picked someone like Ozil.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I think both teams are great.

For Theon it's worrying how much of the ball TRV will have. For TRV it's worrying how deep his line is. Think 5 of his players won't be able to be of much use in defense. He has worked out his weaknesses though. Hargreaves helping out Marcelo and Lichsteiner staying back. I agree with that and I would play exactly the same.

I'm more inclined to pick TRV but that's a biased opinion based on preferred style of play. It's not necessary the correct call which is why I'm refraining from voting at the moment.

Two best teams in the draft at this point for me.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Hello.

Just came online. Good Luck, @Theon !

Will reply to the comments and all in some time.

Skills

Snitch
Look at theon's team: this should be an easy one.

Scroll down to TRVs team: feccckkk

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think both teams are great.

For Theon it's worrying how much of the ball TRV will have. For TRV it's worrying how deep his line is.
Thanks man. I'm don't actually think the possession will be that one sided, the Spanish duo will probably have slightly more but I can't see it being even close to 60/40 given the quality of players they are up against. Schweinsteiger/Khedira/Sneijder/Ibrahimovic are great central counter on the ball and Schweinsteiger in particular has shown he can play and cope with that style of football, as has Robben. Also, Hargreaves was never a Busquets/Alonso type of player as was at Barca/Spain and I don't think any of Vipers front three or back four are particularly possession based either, the way Silva or Fabregas were for the national side for instance. It's really just the two in the middle - which isn't a problem really it's just I don't think there will be any possession dominance.

In terms of the second part I mentioned that in the OP and agree. I also think the biggest goal threat in this particular game is Robben exploiting the space behind Marcelo who can be very poor defensively, and then running at a very slow backline. It's the same on the other side to a lesser extent, Litchsteiner is better defensively than Marcelo but he's still very offensive and typically played as a wingback for Juve. As on the right side with Robben I think Sanchez and Ashley Cole doubling up on him could cause a threat going forward, particurarly if Sanchez can get in behind and run at that backline.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I was just about to vote for Theon when I noticed the bloodbath that is Neymar on Albiol. Undecided now.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
The usual poll please:

At players career peaks, who will win the match?
- Team Theon
- Theon The Red Viper
- Withdraw Vote

# Poll for 24 hrs
# Results can be viewed without voting
# Who voted whom should be visible.
# votes can be changed.
# Public poll results.
That would be a bloody good team no, @Theon ? :D

Annahnomoss

Just seems wrong to play Xavi and Iniesta in anything but a high pressing defense. They did play high possession/tiki taka for Barcelona and more open minded possession game for Spain but the high press has always been the key of their success. Wasn't long ago I watched Xavi pre-Guardiola and defensively he wasn't the same at all.

Theon I think has the perfect team for Ibrahimovic here. Both Sanchez and Robben compensate for his negatives perfectly with their brilliant goalscoring, dribbling and primarily defensive work rate. He complements them as well with his physicality, link up play, absolute world class ability to score from crosses and his playmaking.

For me the match is won from Cole who is up against Reus here which is an incredibly important battle. Sanchez will do a much better job against Lichsteiner than Reus will against Cole. Robben is very likely to have a dominant game against Marcelo and Ibrahimovic is exactly who you want inside the box against Terry and Cahill.

He won't be bullied physically and he'll be a great target men for corners or beautiful hold up play to set Robben/Sanchez free on a run.

Paris already scores a lot, 3-3 vs Barcelona 2 years ago, 3-3 vs Chelsea then 3-3 vs Chelsea again this year - with Robben and Sanchez there they'd be even better at scoring.

TRV's magical duo would create a goal, in a great game two but I can easily see Sanchez get past Lichsteiner regularly and Robben would do the same against Marcelo. 3-1 or 3-2 to Theon.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Jesus, attacks are going to have a field day against both defenses. Sanchez vs Lichsteiner is bad for TrV, vP & Neymar vs Theon's defense is also quite tasty.
Ok. I really need this to put this Lichsteiner debate thing to bed.

Lichtsteiner is actually a very good full-back who is quite solid defensively. He isn't a Cafu or Zanetti or Lahm but then who else is in this time-frame? The idea that he is a loose cannon defensively couldn't be more far off the mark. He isn't a Glen Johnson or Eboue. Most of the Juventus fans rate him very highly and consider his defense to be really solid. Like I mentioned last match as well, Lichtsteiner made a name for himself as a right back in a back four and that is why Juventus decided to buy him. He himself thinks he is better in a back-four as well. This is what, Adam Digby, a Juventus fan and a football journalist who writes for FourFourTwo, ESPN and many other reputed sites had to say about Licht:-

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Regarding the backline, let me be more clear. When I say, its a deep backline, I am saying it comparison with the backline Barca played with. But, it won't be as deep a backline as Chelsea have played when they have parked the bus. It will be deeper than the usual backline Barca's tiki-taka team played but won't that deep where the defensive backline is almost in our own penalty box.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I was just about to vote for Theon when I noticed the bloodbath that is Neymar on Albiol. Undecided now.
Fair enough! That's literally the opposite way that I saw that particular match up as I think a prime Albiol would do okay enough there. I remember him being excellent at Valencia before he was bought by Real Madrid. Opinions eh.

I definitely think Robben on Marcelo is a much bigger mismatch on that side though. Albiol is better than Marcelo defensively, and Robben is better than Neymar offensively as well. Doesn't work exactly like that but I think it's a bigger route to goal IMO.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Just seems wrong to play Xavi and Iniesta in anything but a high pressing defense. They did play high possession/tiki taka for Barcelona and more open minded possession game for Spain but the high press has always been the key of their success. Wasn't long ago I watched Xavi pre-Guardiola and defensively he wasn't the same at all.
Spain in 2008 Euros didn't play a high-pressing defense, yet they dominated that tournament and won it in the end. You are right that Xavi and Iniesta are at their best in a tiki-taka system but they are great players and will still be brilliant in majority of the system unless they are playing in a long-ball team.

Theon's attack is good. I won't argue with it. But, I don't see how his midfield would be able to deal with mine. Bastian is the only real top player he has. Sneijder for all his things was notoriously inconsistent and had what, a couple of top seasons? Its nothing in comparisons to what Xavi and Iniesta have achieved. Also, Iniesta has ripped Khedira to shreds most of the times they met in the El-Clasico. The only time they have managed to netralize Iniesta has been when Mourinho went ultra-defensive and used Pepe as a DM alongside Khedira and Alonso in the Copa Del Rey Final in 2011.

Ibrahimovic is exactly who you want inside the box against Terry and Cahill.

He won't be bullied physically and he'll be a great target men for corners or beautiful hold up play to set Robben/Sanchez free on a run.

Paris already scores a lot, 3-3 vs Barcelona 2 years ago, 3-3 vs Chelsea then 3-3 vs Chelsea again this year - with Robben and Sanchez there they'd be even better at scoring.

TRV's magical duo would create a goal, in a great game two but I can easily see Sanchez get past Lichsteiner regularly and Robben would do the same against Marcelo. 3-1 or 3-2 to Theon.
A couple of things, Annah!

A couple of years ago in the match between PSG and Barca, I specifically remember Barca were without Puyol and Mascherano and had to play Adriano as a CB that game. Also, I don't think it would be fair to bring up that result because Barca as a team was on a downwards spiral that season. Pep had left. It was the season Tito was in charge and I think it was around that time when he got ill and was away for some weeks. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is we can't just bring up the results and compare it here, especially when you consider the Barca we are talking about wasn't at its best. Pique was their best defender and he hasn't been the same since 2011. Though he looks like he is getting back into form this season.

As for this season's Chelsea result against PSG, while PSG played very well, a lot of the blame had to be with Jose and his ultra negative tactics. Inspite of PSG being down to ten men, he let PSG control the tempo of the game and let them dictate the plays. That ain't happening here though. Also, all of the three goals PSG scored, came from set-pieces, right? The first one in Paris and both the goals in Stamford Bridge.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough! That's literally the opposite way that I saw that particular match up as I think a prime Albiol would do okay enough there. I remember him being excellent at Valencia before he was bought by Real Madrid. Opinions eh.

I definitely think Robben on Marcelo is a much bigger mismatch on that side though. Albiol is better than Marcelo defensively, and Robben is better than Neymar offensively as well. Doesn't work exactly like that but I think it's a bigger route to goal IMO.
Albiol used to be decent at Valencia but as a right back, especially against someone like Neymar?

I don't think you can say that Abiol will be able to deal with Neymar better than Marcelo would be able to deal with Robben just because Albiol was better defensively. Albiol is better defensively as a CB but as a full-back when you are up against rapid players, pace becomes a vital attribute as well. Would you say Terry would be a better full-back than someone like Roberto Carlos because he is better defensively?

Albiol is rash and very slow on the turn. Its not like he has great positional sense either. Even though, Robben is better than Neymar, I expect Neymar to have the most fun amongst all the wingers vs full-backs battle because Albiol as a right back is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

This is Albiol against Atletico Bilbao this season. Look at how slow and laboured he looked against Atletico's counters. Against someone like Neymar who is far quicker and has much better close control than Aduriz, he will be annihilated!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Albiol used to be decent at Valencia but as a right back

I don't think you can say that Abiol will be able to deal with Neymar better than Marcelo would be able to deal with Robben just because Albiol was better defensively. Albiol is better defensively as a CB but as a full-back when you are up against rapid players, pace becomes a vital attribute as well. Would you say Terry would be a better full-back than someone like Roberto Carlos because he is better defensively?

Albiol is rash and very slow on the turn. This is Albiol against Atletico Bilbao this season.
Mate, I'll respond properly after MOTD but this is just wrong. Albiol played right back so its nothing like asking John Terry to play there - A better comparison would be Chiellini. And as I stated in the OP he has a defensive duty here which is why he is deliberately positioned deeper than Ashley Cole - it's akin to having a hybrid CB-RB role which Albiol is perfect for. Really its nothing at all like Terry. Albiol is more than comfortable playing a defensive role in which he watches Neymar. It's not even close who will have the easier offensive game here out of Robben or Neymar - Albiol is a comfortably better defender than Marcelo and he doesnt leave the same space in behind.

Also you're way off on his speed, Albiol wasn't slow at all and was actually considered quite quick when he was at Valencia. He's comfortably quicker than both of your centre backs. Here is a clip of his pace when he was in his prime, pre Madrid.

NM

Theon's wingers are just too damn strong. Sanchez and Robben will roast the opposition, and that's without the creativity of Ibrahimovic and Sneijder. Sneijder versus Hargreaves is a mismatch, which will leave a 2v2 in midfield of Shweini and Khedira versus Xavi and Iniesta. Xaviesta will win, but their influence will be restricted. Can see Theon outscoring the opposition. That 4 of Sneijder, Robben, Sanchez and Ibra is magic.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Mate, I'll respond properly after MOTD but this is just wrong. Albiol played right back so its nothing like asking John Terry to play there - A better comparison would be Chiellini. And as I stated in the OP he has a defensive duty here which is why he is deliberately positioned deeper than Ashley Cole - it's akin to having a hybrid CB-RB role which Albiol is perfect for. Really its nothing at all like Terry. Albiol is more than comfortable playing a defensive role in which he watches Neymar. It's not even close who will have the easier offensive game here out of Robben or Neymar - Albiol is a comfortably better defender than Marcelo and he doesnt leave the same space in behind.

Also you're way off on his speed, Albiol wasn't slow at all and was actually considered quite quick when he was at Valencia. He's comfortably quicker than both of your centre backs. Here is a clip of his pace when he was in his prime, pre Madrid.

Fair enough. The John Terry example was just to point out that just because a player is better defenisvely doesn't make him that good out wide. I feel same applies to Albiol. Now obviously, Albiol has played out there unlike Terry. So, its not the right comparison.

At the same time, I don't think Chiellini is an ideal comparison as well. Chiellini at least played there regularly for half a season or so and he has played in the big games as well. Not sure we could say the same about Abliol. For me the best comparison would be someone like Daniel Agger. A player who has occasionaly played out wide for us at Liverpool but was hardly great there.

Also, when I saw slow, I am comapring him to who he is up against. Marcelo maynot be a Maldini defensively but he has the pace and agility to keep up with Robben. Not sure we could say the same about Albiol though against someone tricky and pacy like Neymar.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Theon's wingers are just too damn strong. Sanchez and Robben will roast the opposition, and that's without the creativity of Ibrahimovic and Sneijder. Sneijder versus Hargreaves is a mismatch, which will leave a 2v2 in midfield of Shweini and Khedira versus Xavi and Iniesta. Xaviesta will win, but their influence will be restricted. Can see Theon outscoring the opposition. That 4 of Sneijder, Robben, Sanchez and Ibra is magic.
What about Neymar vs Albiol and Van Persie vs Kolo and Koscienly?

Especially when you consider both Kolo and Kos are rash and can be error-prone.

NM

What about Neymar vs Albiol and Van Persie vs Kolo and Koscienly?

Especially when you consider both Kolo and Kos are rash and can be error-prone.
Those are mismatches too. No denying that. I think this will see goals, but Theon has more firepower. You have a top team too, but think you ran into an absolute attacking tank.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Went with red viper, just! Two really good teams that are hard to separate, I think DDG would be crucial and that nearly swung my vote towards theon but in the end decided his defenders are less able to cope with the threats posed by the opposition. That coupled with the fact that red viper will create a few more chances than theons team, gives him the edge.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Red Viper has a more balanced team. Established partnerships with Xavi-Iniesta and Terry-Cahill while RvP-Neymar-Reus against a defense of Koscielny-Toure-Albiol is a no brainer basically.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Hard to split this one. In Theon's favour he has a sensational front three supported by a well balanced and resilient midfield. Tactically it's very nice. For TRV he has a strong front three (not quite as good) and superior quality through the proven partnerships in the heart of midfield and defence. It's important for Theon that his attack poses a threat right across TRV's back line. Equally so that his midfield has previous in playing the sit-deep-and-counter game against Xaviesta. Then again it's a little top heavy in terms of quality across the board and the Toure/Albiol axis is soft in the context of a quarter-final in a draft. It will be good to hear a little more from both managers to flush out where the mismatches are.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Hard to split this one. In Theon's favour he has a sensational front three supported by a well balanced and resilient midfield. Tactically it's very nice. For TRV he has a strong front three (not quite as good) and superior quality through the proven partnerships in the heart of midfield and defence. It's important for Theon that his attack poses a threat right across TRV's back line. Equally so that his midfield has previous in playing the sit-deep-and-counter game against Xaviesta. Then again it's a little top heavy in terms of quality across the board and the Toure/Albiol axis is soft in the context of a quarter-final in a draft. It will be good to hear a little more from both managers to flush out where the mismatches are.
You are right that in terms of individual quality, Theon indeed has a better attack but not by much. But, my defense is better and more importantly, in Terry, you have someone who can organize the defense. Kolo while a decent defender is nowhere close to the leader and organizer that Terry was at the back. During his best days at Arsenal, Sol was their leader. Both Koscienly and Kolo are very rash with decision making and with Van Persie leading the line and running the channels, I feel, I have a great chance of exploiting that, especially considering the creativity he will be provided with.

And, like I mentioned earlier, Robben is better than Neymar but Albiol would have a tougher time dealing with Neymar than Marcelo would have against Robben. Not saying Marcelo would shut down Robben or anything but he can at least ensure that Robben always has a player around him to deny him any time and space. Not sure Albiol can keep up with Neymar on the other hand. And, last but not the least, my midfield. I don't think Khedira would be able to deal against Iniesta. Xavi vs Bastian would be a fascinating battle but with Iniesta supporting Xavi, the duo of Xavi and Iniesta would win the battle against Bastian and Kheedira because Khedira isn't that good enough to keep a prime Iniesta in check.

Annahnomoss

Spain in 2008 Euros didn't play a high-pressing defense, yet they dominated that tournament and won it in the end. You are right that Xavi and Iniesta are at their best in a tiki-taka system but they are great players and will still be brilliant in majority of the system unless they are playing in a long-ball team.

Theon's attack is good. I won't argue with it. But, I don't see how his midfield would be able to deal with mine. Bastian is the only real top player he has. Sneijder for all his things was notoriously inconsistent and had what, a couple of top seasons? Its nothing in comparisons to what Xavi and Iniesta have achieved. Also, Iniesta has ripped Khedira to shreds most of the times they met in the El-Clasico. The only time they have managed to netralize Iniesta has been when Mourinho went ultra-defensive and used Pepe as a DM alongside Khedira and Alonso in the Copa Del Rey Final in 2011.

A couple of things, Annah!

A couple of years ago in the match between PSG and Barca, I specifically remember Barca were without Puyol and Mascherano and had to play Adriano as a CB that game. Also, I don't think it would be fair to bring up that result because Barca as a team was on a downwards spiral that season. Pep had left. It was the season Tito was in charge and I think it was around that time when he got ill and was away for some weeks. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is we can't just bring up the results and compare it here, especially when you consider the Barca we are talking about wasn't at its best. Pique was their best defender and he hasn't been the same since 2011. Though he looks like he is getting back into form this season.

As for this season's Chelsea result against PSG, while PSG played very well, a lot of the blame had to be with Jose and his ultra negative tactics. Inspite of PSG being down to ten men, he let PSG control the tempo of the game and let them dictate the plays. That ain't happening here though. Also, all of the three goals PSG scored, came from set-pieces, right? The first one in Paris and both the goals in Stamford Bridge.
Xavi and Iniesta didn't play as a central midfield partnership in Spain 2008. Xavi played next to Senna in a 4-4-2 and then Fabregas made it a midfield trio for the final. Xavi-Iniesta as a partnership is the main difference between how Spain has played and how Barcelona has played. Aragones and Del Bosque have opted for not using that central midfield duo and the result has been a much more direct team.

Xavi-Iniesta is a great duo - far from at their peak potential here in a setup they've never played though but still great. I still edge the midfield battle to you but Khedira-Schweinsteiger and Sneijder is a very strong midfield with no apparent reasons to not perform at their best.

Sanchez-Ibrahimovic-Robben are comfortably better than Neymar-RVP-Reus. Sanchez will be more likely to create and score against Lichsteiner than Reus will against Cole and Robben is the best offensive player on the pitch and will be the top performer. Cahill and Terry are a solid partnership, Ibrahimovic doesn't have the same chance to score from nothing as RVP will have.

But Cahill/Terry won't be able to stop Zlatan from dropping down - holding one of them off while finding Robben/Sanchez in space. Zlatan is naturally a playmaker and not a goalscorer, last season he assisted as many as Messi - the year before that he had the most assists in the CL.

Funny video: Relevant video:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Where did Theon upgrade? WTF are Koscielny and Toure still doing here?

I don't recall his attack being distinctly different before, bar Alexis looking out of place on the left. I don't dispute he can play there, I just don't like it. I like Alexis on the right, prefer Robben there, and neither as the left-side option.

Still, I can see his front 6 working better together and the comparatively car crash looking defence still holding their own.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Sneak this in at halftime!

The biggest mismatch IMO Gio is what I posted above, Robben getting in behind Marcelo and running at a very slow back line. Ibrahimovic holding up the ball and slipping in Robben screams goals to me and IMO it's the clearest route to goal on the park by quite a distance. Sanchez and Cole doubling up on Litchsteiner is not far behind, particularly with Ibrahimovic providing such an aerial threat in the middle.

I disagree on the defensive comments - for me his defense is slightly better but it's no more than that. Albiol is a fine defender and he's playing in a perfect role for him as a right sided centre back, he's not Thuram of Ferrara in that position but he's no liability, has 50 caps for Spain and at Valencia was better than Gary Cahill. I think Neymar is well marshalled here and won't get half of the space Robben will to run into.

Probably the main difference of opinion there Gio is the credit to Cahill/Terry as a proven partnership. Vidic/Ferdinand, Terry/Carvalho, Adams/Campbell are proven league partnership worth crediting. John Terry and Gary Cahill is an average to fairly good Premiership pairing but its no more than that - Koscielny/Mertesacker were a more complimentary pairing.

They haven't won the league together and before reverting to a deep back line were actually a terrible pairing. Terry in his prime was excellent so no arguments there. Cahill is currently in danger of losing his place to Zouma for his poor performances, against Spurs for instance, and IMO is certainly not any better than the centre backs on my team. Obviously Ibra has also done well against him in the past.