The Reality Draft - Round 1: VivaJanuzaj vs crappycraperson

Who will win with players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

....... Team @VivaJanuzaj .......................................................................................Team @crappycraperson .....................

Team VivaJanuzaj

Team Tactics:
A superb all round team with no actual weaknesses who can play both possession football as well as quick counter attacks, depends on how the game goes on, and can switch between the two in an instant. A team based on players who know to get forward and to create goals, but know how to stay discipline in defense. Most of the playmaking in the final third will be done by Franescoli and Rummenigge, but with the linkup between Breitner and Kalle, the bursting runs of Seedorf and Veron or the full backs from deep and my front trio, I can't see my team being stopped here.
Defense - A top draw defensive line, Vierchwood and Adams are very complementary of each other, Reuter on the right is one of the best RBs in history, he can both defend and attack spotlessly, while Alaba is the most mature young player in the world, a CL winner as a starter for Bayern and the captain of the Austrian team. Both my full backs are capable of attacking and adding another dimension of width to this match.
Midfield - Two working horses in Breitner and Seedorf, who can both defend and attack and do it at top class. Veron in behind them who will shift throughout the game between sitting deep as the deep lying playmaker and kick start counter attacks with a long pass to Kalle-Enzo-Trezegol or to participate in the build up with Breitner and Seedorf. Veron there gives my two box to box CMs the freedom to create balance and choose when to push more forward(when Veron goes to his deep positions) or to be a little more disciplined when Veron and/or a full back pushes up.
Attack - My attack has countless goals in it, Rummenigge and Francescoli will create the chances, combining their wonderful technique and speed with their immense passing, with Trezeguet there who can both score and participate in the build up. My attacking trio has 739 career goals between them, so goals won't be short here.

Team Crappy

Tactics - 4-2-2-2

* Magic Square - Prohaska, Keane, Kroos and Ceulemans form a formidable midfield square. Austrian legend Prohaska would be playing his traditional role of deep lying playmaker with Keane alongside him to shield the defense and provide cover for Ferreria on occasions. Kroos gets to play his best role alongside Ceulemans. Both more than capable of creating goal scoring opportunities and score themselves. Most importantly, there is no passenger in this foursome, all 4 are capable of putting themselves about and contribute to offensive play.

* Role of full backs - The versatile Briegel (capable of playing LB, CB, DM) pretty much fits into the role Junior player for Brazil 82 while Ferreira will resume the same role from then. Ferreria's forward play would be critical to provide a threat on the right and is his crossing would be a godsend for Shearer.

* Forward partnership - Shearer is the perfect big man up front, more than a handful for both the opposition CBs. Kempes the star of 78 WC, gets a free role behind shearer, cutting in from the left or linking up with CMs or providing a presence himself upfront. Quote by Aldo below highlights his critical role in the team -

Player profiles
Part of them plagiarized from @Gio, @Jayvin, @Balu

Mario Kempes - Star of the 1978 World Cup as he brought the ultimate prize to Argentina, which capped a sensational season for the Valencia striker scoring 45 goals for club and country. Exceptional goalscorer, in the air, inside or outside the box with his powerful left foot. Inventive dribbler and difficult to shackle when bursting from deep positions. As Aldo said-

Alan Shearer - One of the best strikers to play in English league with as many as 282 goals in 559. A nuisance to any defender, one of the best headers of the ball and capable of scoring from outside the box as well. Create chances for him and he will score.

Jan Ceulemans - What a player. Often underrated because he stayed in Belgium throughout his career, but what a tournament he had in 86 with him captaining Belgium through their greatest time in football so far. At times he was a left winger, at times he played as an AM or as a striker. Has 230 goals in 517 for club and 23 in 96 for NT, great numbers for any AM.

Toni Kroos - Easily the most proven youngster on display here. Part of the German team that lifted the WC and Bayern team that dominated Europe. Adept at all kind of passing, possess a great shot and works hard for the team as well.

Herbert Prohaska - A dynamic and combative midfielder, not dissimilar to Paul Scholes in many respects, capable of surging runs forward, and armed with that uncanny ability to end up in the right place at the right time to smash the ball home – left foot, right foot or header. Prohaska was also adept at sitting deep, dictating the play with his intelligence and precision passing. Voted Austria’s player of the Century in 2004.

Roy Keane - :keano:

Hans-Peter Briegel-Die Walz von der Pfalz- Verstaile player who could play both as LM or DM or even as CB if the situation called for. Man-mountain full-back who was, in many people's eyes, the standout in a strong era of left-backs. A fantastic physical specimen who could long jump 7m 50 and could well have pursued a career on the track as a decathlete. Athletics' loss was football's gain as Briegel proved a pivotal presence in West Germany's runs to the final in 1982 and 1986.

Roberto Ayala - One of the best CBs of his generation with over 100 appearances for Argentina and a rock for Valencia for over 7 years . Great reader of the game and even better tackler. A pretty much complete defender.

Miguel Angel Nadal - Over 200 appearances for Barca and played under Cryuff during Dream team days, providing defensive cover either as a defender or CM. Was a mainstay in Spanish NT as well during the 90s

José Leandro de Souza Ferreira- Part of one of the best Brazilian full back combos with Junior in 82. Capable of running the wing and his crossing would be handy with Shearer in team.

Rinat Dasaev - Simply the second best Soviet keeper of all time behind Yashin.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Leandro.

Crappy should change it to Leandro because many would assume its Paulo Ferreira.
Yups, I was scratching my head wondering how on earth he picked Paulo, let alone how he gave him that significant a role of bossing the entire flank.

Can't see crappy winning this either way.

VivaJanuzaj

I'm not sure myself about Kroos in a magic square, I rather see him in a midfield trio.
Breittinge in that left flank against Briegel and some help from Prohaska will be a decisive factor in this match imo

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The classic brazilian magic square was actually a lopsided formation with left wing more defensively astute with Rivellino's added creativity and right wing was explosive with Carlos Alberto and Jairzinho. Not exactly balanced but they did have width from Rivellino and Jairzinho with the movement of Pele/Tostao providing the creative excellance.

I don't see how Kempes playing slightly to the left would acheieve the same here. Neither Kroos not Ceulemans are designated to drift wide. Kroos running forward and Shearer with back to goal will not have the same impact here, imo. And on top of that they have Breitenigge operating to the Prohaska side. Keans swapped there may hinder them more, but I think this will be a goal orr two for VivaJ. Seedorf or Breitner once they start moving wide will have much better value with the ball than they should ideally be allowed. Danger all over.

antohan

I'm not sure myself about Kroos in a magic square, I rather see him in a midfield trio.
Breittinge in that left flank against Briegel and some help from Prohaska will be a decisive factor in this match imo
I'd question your gameplan here. That flank having Kempes, Ceulemans, Prohaska and Briegel is a nightmare to work on. It's the other with Kroos-Keane-Leandro that I would find mouthwatering. Enzo royally owned Leandro in the 1983 Copa América finals. Kroos needs to keep an eye on Alaba (at best) and Keane will have his hands full with Verón/Seedorf and can hardly stop Enzo running riot.

antohan

The classic brazilian magic square was actually a lopsided formation with left wing more defensively astute with Rivellino's added creativity and right wing was explosive with Carlos Alberto and Jairzinho. Not exactly balanced but they did have width from Rivellino and Jairzinho with the movement of Pele/Tostao providing the creative excellance.
You call Brazil '70 a magic square? I'd say their classic one would be '82.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I would've switched Prohaska and Kroos personally - Prohaska is more than capable to drift wide and has a beautiful cross on him, as well as being very mobile overall - Kross isn't all that. I don't like Kross in a magic square at all, tbf, but he would be better in a more of a deep-lying role, in which he is playing currently - and Keane would make up for his defensive flaws.

It won't matter probably, VJ is a cheater and he has a monstrous team.

Annahnomoss

I feel sorry for Crappy to be honest, one of the victims of this draft even if that was the supposed idea of it. I think you spot on nailed your left side with Kempes and Ceulemans capable of providing width. Unfortunately even when you nail it, that isn't enough considering VJ has Breitner, Rummenigge and fricking Reuter there. He doesn't have to change that side for a final - and I promise you in that final we will all talk about how it will be winning its flank.

If Kroos had been Gotze, then I think you'd have perfectly nailed the tactical part of it all which is a big compliment in a draft like this as they are incredibly hard to get the tactics perfect in.

VJ just has too many options, you've settled up the left side - but still VJ affords to have Enzo Francescoli on the other side - now completely free. Well done Crappy though, you fielded a really interesting side and nearly nailed it.

If it wasn't for you being up against the by far superior team in this draft I'd have been very inclined to vote for your originality.(I think this square differs from the rest)

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I love Viva's attacking three. Elite. The midfield seems thought through; and there I'm not so sure about crappys. It just seems so random, all players are class obviously but I can't see them work. Both defenses have their question marks, with Viva edging it.

So, vot Viva :)

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I would've switched Prohaska and Kroos personally - Prohaska is more than capable to drift wide and has a beautiful cross on him, as well as being very mobile overall - Kross isn't all that. I don't like Kross in a magic square at all, tbf, but he would be better in a more of a deep-lying role, in which he is playing currently - and Keane would make up for his defensive flaws.

It won't matter probably, VJ is a cheater and he has a monstrous team.
Kroos' best form for Bayern was not in a deeper role at all. For plenty he is currently being wasted in Madrid when he does not get to be as much involved in attack.

Anyway.. I knew this would be an uphill task but this one is really over. Trezeguet being part of an elite three? He was alright at best. Shearer was better at his peak.

I personally think his MF will struggle against the 4 I have. Someone like Veron is a liability against such a MF IMO. He won't get the space to effect the game from deep and does not put himself about much to help out the other two.

antohan

I personally think his MF will struggle against the 4 I have. Someone like Veron is a liability against such a MF IMO. He won't get the space to effect the game from deep and does not put himself about much to help out the other two.
I agree with that and have mentioned it before. It's a good midfield but he isn't winning this on the back of it AFAIC.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Kempes providing the width on the left - which idiot would do that? :nervous:

VJ's midfield and attack is lovely. Once Seedorf gets improved he's nearly there. Like the central defensive partnership as well. It's fundamentally a very well balanced team. For Crappy, I'd prefer Cuelemans to benefit from some natural width to stretch the play and enable him to penetrate through the middle. Not convinced about Kroos in that role either.

It's a wee while since I dusted off my Mexico' 70 video, but Brazil '70 were more 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4 weren't they?

antohan

Yeah, it is more of a 4-2-4. I was thinking if crappy was counting on ceulemans and kroos to score and Kempes to provide width, it becomes a 4-2-4 rather than a proper magic square.
Many must be reading and hoping you would share some of that stuff you are smoking.

antohan

2:30 below is my lasting memory of Leandro. Copa América final first leg in Montevideo, losing 1-0 to a goal by Enzo, and he gets into fisticuffs with a ballboy. Stadium gets incensed, players incensed, and before you know it... 2-0. Great goal by Diogo that, a better fullback than Leandro as well IMO.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Am I the only one who feels Crappy would have had a better chance had he picked someone like Gotze or Neymar and played with a 4-3-3 formation? Not saying he would have won or anything but he would have certainly given Viva a very close fight with that formation.

Annahnomoss

Am I the only one who feels Crappy would have had a better chance had he picked someone like Gotze or Neymar and played with a 4-3-3 formation? Not saying he would have won or anything but he would have certainly given Viva a very close fight with that formation.
Enzo-Rummenigge is already enough for a final. Breitner, Reuter, Seedorf and Vierchowod are as well. So he has the job of replacing Trezequet, Veron, Adams and Alaba where only Alaba is a real weakness in the next round.

Don't think Crappy could have done anything really except got more lucky in the drafting. Crappy still has a side that could beat most others.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Enzo-Rummenigge is already enough for a final. Breitner, Reuter, Seedorf and Vierchowod are as well. So he has the job of replacing Trezequet, Veron, Adams and Alaba where only Alaba is a real weakness in the next round.

Don't think Crappy could have done anything really except got more lucky in the drafting. Crappy still has a side that could beat most others.
Yep.

Thats true.

antohan

Agree with Annah, but I didn't really get the Kroos pick when he needed some width on the right flank.

sajeev

Good Lord! This is the problem with the pure voting system, it gives absolutely no credit to the way the losing team is formed. Even though it is clear that Viva's team is likely to win 80% of the time, the score now is absurd.

So refuse to vote now, will vote in case things get a little closer

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I just see Veron and Seedorf as a better mastermind in the middle.

Keane and co is rock solid, but Veron's FK is quite deadly. And Shearer would need crosses. Also, Adams' a beast in the air IIRC.

Anything could happen, but for my vote. I'd go with Viva Januzaj

VivaJanuzaj

So he has the job of replacing Trezequet, Veron, Adams and Alaba where only Alaba is a real weakness in the next round.
I don't think Alaba will necessarily be a weakness next round, he's quite comfortably one of the top 3 LBs in the world atm, and he is proven a couple of times against the likes of Ronaldo, so he's definitely up there in terms of world class players. It really depends on who I'll draw next round but I think Alaba is solid against most players.

Annahnomoss

I don't think Alaba will necessarily be a weakness next round, he's quite comfortably one of the top 3 LBs in the world atm, and he is proven a couple of times against the likes of Ronaldo, so he's definitely up there in terms of world class players. It really depends on who I'll draw next round but I think Alaba is solid against most players.
Meant on your route to the final, not for the next round.

Mani

Viva's team,certainly strongest one in this draft.There would be no surprise if he win this draft.